• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PS4K / Neo spec leak is genuine, dev kits on their way to devs

I think most of the anger is because Sony's first party has taken a while to really get going, and all the heavy hitters will mostly be releasing this year and next. The feeling of being "cheated" is likely there because they would have been fine holding out on the revision if they knew it was happening given that it's releasing around the time when the generation is really in full swing. I can empathize, but I'm not angry about it. My PS4 will still work fine, and I can choose if I want the revision or just wait it out until the PS5 is released. Chances are all my PS4 titles will work on the PS5 as well with performance/visual boosts, so I don't care.

Nintendo will NOT absorb any other fanbase.

You seriously don't know what's up with Nintendo since the N64 era. If you truly believe the NX will become the primary console of the hardcore gamer, you need to wake up.

Nintendo will never have another SNES in their hands.

Time will tell...Probably not, but nothing is written on stone about this industry.

Snaggle

Banned
This new hardware doesn't seem to be really well thought out by Sony. Looking at the upgraded specs it seems barely enough to be running games in 4K and if it does they will probably run in 30fps so it could be a little underpowered. Also the Blu-ray drive not getting an upgrade to support 4K Blu-rays? This has to be a joke? What a massive oversight if true. If they don't bother to upgrade the Wi-Fi card to AC standard this will be a definite no buy for me.

I have to say this generation Sony has been really slack with their hardware (excluding the RAM side of things). The Ps4 imo is a very cheaply designed and feeling system and don't even get me started on the garbage controller quality. Seems to be too many shortcuts being taken. I'm pretty disappointed as they are one of my most reliable brands.

R9 380x 2048
Ploaris 2304
R9 290 2560

oTHNIez.png

R9W8Wo0.png

Please bear in mind, techpowerup have max settings on. Usually console is medium to high, different LOD and also save a few frames with custom AF.

Not saying all games will be 4k, just that it could be feasible and these games aren't Tetris or some "indie rubbish". Maybe 1440, 2880x1620 or whatever, world's your oyster. I can often do 2880x1620 and 3200x1800 with higher than console settings on my 970 and capping to 30fps. AC Unity is at max settings HBAO FXAA at 2880x1620 or slightly above capped at 30fps. Should look good on a 4k mon.

Gran Turismo for example has had some weird resolutions 1080i on PS2. GT51280x1080. GT6 1440x1080. Can totally see Kaz doing some crazy res with upscale to get it looking nicer.

R9 380x 2048
Ploaris 2304
R9 290 2560

http://i.imgur.com/oTHNIez.png[/IG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/R9W8Wo0.png

Please bear in mind, techpowerup have max settings on. Usually console is medium to high, different LOD and also save a few frames with custom AF. Maybe 1440 or whatever, world's your oyster.

Not saying all games will be 4k, just that it could be feasible and these games aren't Tetris or some "indie rubbish". Maybe 1440, 2880x1620 or whatever, world's your oyster.

Gran Turismo for example has had some weird resolutions 1080i on PS2. GT51280x1080. GT6 1440x1080. Can totally see Kaz doing some crazy res with upscale to get it looking nicer.
It's very realistic that games can do 4K as long as the devs aren't trying to turn on new filtering and effects. Take the same game on PS4 and give it access to 4K resolution and/or 60fps and done.

I don't think a single developer will over-complicate things or focus on the 4K version as their primary version of any PS4 game this generation. The market will always be smaller and I don't think the motivation to do so will be very strong.

Abdiel

I won´t. As a PS4 costumer i feel cheated and offended. As a console gamer i feel shocked by how much people here have positive reaction with this...I mean, PC exists for that kind of stuff...But the thing that bothers me the most is that the people that is OK and "day 1 purchase level excited" with this making fun of the ones that are not agree. If you feel offendend by my post feel free to complain with the admin and ask them for ban me or whatever the fuck...The only thing that you all cannot deny is that the userbase of PS4 is going to split. You know there is a real world outside of this forums...And most part of the PS4 userbase is part of that world...and no body here knows if all they are taking with enthusiasm the fact that the so called next gen system they bought are not gonna be THAT next gen, as Sony promised for our money.

This is the most preposterous shit...

Ugh. Okay. I said it in the NPD thread, I'm going to make a retail based thread regarding the perspective of how this is viewed.

Your response here is ridiculous, overblown, and silly. You're free to not have any interest in purchasing a "neo", if you have no intentions of doing so, but this in no way will be doing any of what you're implying. They've specifically designed this to not split its user base, to make sure that all games will continue to be developed as the existing hardware, and you're the one taking this personally. The people excited, or interested in this as an option, are just being pretty normal consumers. You're making this an emotional investment, which is insane.

No one should ban you for having an opinion, but all I'm saying is calm the hell down and re-read your statements, because you're making *statements* that are factually false. The published information we have about this hardware outright contradicts almost everything you've stated about it, and it's ridiculous.

Ugh! The levels of inanity I've been reading today are incredible.

The only odd thing is while this GPU is a good bump and can do high resolutions 1620p 1800p and even 2160p, it's just about doing it.

What if MS a year or two later have a chip from AMD that can do this properly. Do Sony bring out another so they aren't bested by MS at doing 4k or roundabout 4k.

Anyway, seems Sony want to hit the 4k content higher res + upscale and no doubt offer 4k AA games, patch older games to have the 4k novelty.

I must also say, gaming at 4k is a delight. 4K movies though, I'm good with a decent 1080p bitrate. I could see why Sony might want to hit this for gaming and also keep in check with the Oculus and Vive spec.

Shin-Ra

I´m just gonna say...20 years ago Original PSX became a breaking succes,specially for taking advantage of it´s rivals foolishness and arrogance. May be Nintendo put the tables turned with NX and take advantage of this....A great part of Sony userbase used to be composed of angry or dissapointed Nintendo and Sega users...Maybe the NX userbase would feed of part of those 40 M userbase that wanna send Sony to hell. If this PS4 Neo is true, i hope NX will be the ultimate console of the 8th gen.
You are the guy from Kotaku. But dude your site actually sucks big time, some times... just for the record.
The same CPU really ?? Well at least the NX CPU will probably be better.
I won´t. As a PS4 costumer i feel cheated and offended. As a console gamer i feel shocked by how much people here have positive reaction with this...I mean, PC exists for that kind of stuff...But the thing that bothers me the most is that the people that is OK and "day 1 purchase level excited" with this making fun of the ones that are not agree. If you feel offendend by my post feel free to complain with the admin and ask them for ban me or whatever the fuck...The only thing that you all cannot deny is that the userbase of PS4 is going to split. You know there is a real world outside of this forums...And most part of the PS4 userbase is part of that world...and no body here knows if all they are taking with enthusiasm the fact that the so called next gen system they bought are not gonna be THAT next gen, as Sony promised for our money.
This new hardware doesn't seem to be really well thought out by Sony. Looking at the upgraded specs it seems barely enough to be running games in 4K and if it does they will probably run in 30fps so it could be a little underpowered. Also the Blu-ray drive not getting an upgrade to support 4K Blu-rays? This has to be a joke? What a massive oversight if true. If they don't bother to upgrade the Wi-Fi card to AC standard this will be a definite no buy for me.

I have to say this generation Sony has been really slack with their hardware (excluding the RAM side of things). The Ps4 imo is a very cheaply designed and feeling system and don't even get me started on the garbage controller quality. Seems to be too many shortcuts being taken. I'm pretty disappointed as they are one of my most reliable brands.
It's hard to tell the tongue-in-cheek posts apart from the genuine meltdowns.

Unless they have a real good trade deal i don't see people switching from ps4 vanilla to ps4k that quickly. I also predict this will cost around 500 dollars.

ManeKast

What incentive would say From Software have to revisit Bloodborne and the like and improve graphics/framerates? Considering the games are out and done.

vin-buc

Unless they have a real good trade deal i don't see people switching from ps4 vanilla to ps4k that quickly. I also predict this will cost around 500 dollars.

I think at $399 where most leaks peg it at - it's solid. At $500 - there's a good chance it's DOA.

I don't think we'll ever see a $500 console again (from any of the hardware makers).

Ugh. Okay. I said it in the NPD thread, I'm going to make a retail based thread regarding the perspective of how this is viewed.

Your response here is ridiculous, overblown, and silly. You're free to not have any interest in purchasing a "neo", if you have no intentions of doing so, but this in no way will be doing any of what you're implying. They've specifically designed this to not split its user base, to make sure that all games will continue to be developed as the existing hardware, and you're the one taking this personally. The people excited, or interested in this as an option, are just being pretty normal consumers. You're making this an emotional investment, which is insane.

No one should ban you for having an opinion, but all I'm saying is calm the hell down and re-read your statements, because you're making *statements* that are factually false. The published information we have about this hardware outright contradicts almost everything you've stated about it, and it's ridiculous.

i´m not being emotional. The solution is simple, sell the PS4 and buy another system. But it sucks that they put you on it. But as somebody said, it´s not the end of the world. Things like that happens. I´m not arguing anymore.

Most of you are still missing the biggest points here:
  • Cross-gen games (even a small 2x leap) hurts everyone.
  • This costs you, the gamer, more money to enjoy the definitive version of a game.

I think that people need to keep in mind that the majority of gamers don't think like GAF. Everyone does not feel like they have to have the definitive version of the game. As long as the average Joe can play all games and they don't look like total crap, they are fine.

Boke1879

For some people I think it comes down to either feeling forced to upgrade which is insane. If you are content with what you have now you don't need to upgrade. I also think people can't deal with the fact that some people will be playing a game with minor upgrades.

It's the only thing I can think as to why someone would feel "cheated"

Abdiel

i´m not being emotional. The solution is simple, sell the PS4 and buy another system. But it sucks that they put you on it. But as somebody said, it´s not the end of the world. Things like that happens. I´m not arguing anymore.

The fact that you deny being emotional, but don't bother to actually defend how everything else you stated was incorrect just demonstrates that you don't have a leg to stand on. You're making irrational statements that have no basis, and are again, saying that you'll just sell your PS4 for... whatever reason.

It's silly, but, as you said, it's not the end of the world. You're just being irrational.

dr_rus

512MB worth of memory that was previously part of the reserve for the OS is now going to be available for games to use.
That'd be available on the old PS4 as well, wouldn't it?

My guess is there's another pool for storing the share video buffer, freeing up some main memory.
That's highly unlikely as it will make the whole system much more complex (read: expensive to produce) for what is a rather small win.

farisr

I think that people need to keep in mind that the majority of gamers don't think like GAF. Everyone does not feel like they have to have the definitive version of the game. As long as the average Joe can play all games and they don't look like total crap, they are fine.
Yup. A few "casuals" I talked to who go to IGN and basically brought up the whole ps4.5 topic and wanted some clarification from me cause they know I keep up with the details. Once I told them that all games will continue to be made for ps4, they were like "oh okay, that's cool, I'm probably not going to get it and save my money for ps5"

They didn't care that ps4.5 would have better versions of the games they play on their system, and they felt no "need" or "obligation" to buy the system just because of better framerate or better graphics. It would be a completely different story if ps4neo exclusive games started getting made though.

Whats more interesting to me than the NeoPS4 having better graphical ability is the opportunities having such a level of power opens up.

-Virtual desktops and gamespaces in VR (This I really want to see)
-Previously non-3d titles available in 3D and maybe VR
-Better Second Screen, maybe with an always accessible home page on your secondary device or ability to play Vita/PS1/Screen mirroring while someone is playing PS4.
-Picture in Picture

ZaQ_Q

Neo Member
Not surprised 4K Blu-ray isn't mentioned in the dev kit. Even if it's in there it won't be used by games.
Yep. Devs aren't allowed to have neo exclusives so they have to maintain parity with the discs they press. Neo will difinitely support all varieties of anticipated 4K blue ray disc layers. It's one of the biggest upsides for Sony.

The fact that you deny being emotional, but don't bother to actually defend how everything else you stated was incorrect just demonstrates that you don't have a leg to stand on. You're making irrational statements that have no basis, and are again, saying that you'll just sell your PS4 for... whatever reason.

It's silly, but, as you said, it's not the end of the world. You're just being irrational.

I just don´t want to lose more time winning or losing discussions over the Internet with people who probably i won´t know in my real life...I already lost several minutes today. I can defend my statement if i want, and whatever the hell you say is not gonna change that the way i think. But the same applies for you and the people who thinks like you here...what ever i, or the people against the ps4k, state are not going to change your mind...so is a futile arguing. You say i´m being irrational, but i find more "irrationalism" in qualify as "shit" what others people say, and insulting them in denial for not thinking in the same way as you are. You should start for respecting, you know?

dr_rus

Should be. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony officially gives devs the go ahead/access to use the extra 512mb on baseps4s as well. They already increased the allotment once before.

Then why is it given like an advantage of PS4K? Makes no sense.

labx

Banned
Dear Journal,

today I read about the ps4 NEO. A guy from Kotaku, made a post in neo gaf quoting all the times que was "right" defending the fidelity and credibility of his work. He is telling us (Gaf) that he always was right and legit as one can only dream of. Also I think he made a steal brag post, but that just me. I think game journalism is zero bias and the ones who make it, are super chill, profesionalices and do not make rants and bitch about when people criticize the sites they work at.

Curufinwe

What incentive would say From Software have to revisit Bloodborne and the like and improve graphics/framerates? Considering the games are out and done.

Since that was made in collaboration with Sony I expect it to get Neo-patched. Maybe as part of a PR cycle for BB2.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think most of the anger is because Sony's first party has taken a while to really get going, and all the heavy hitters will mostly be releasing this year and next. The feeling of being "cheated" is likely there because they would have been fine holding out on the revision if they knew it was happening given that it's releasing around the time when the generation is really in full swing. I can empathize, but I'm not angry about it. My PS4 will still work fine, and I can choose if I want the revision or just wait it out until the PS5 is released. Chances are all my PS4 titles will work on the PS5 as well with performance/visual boosts, so I don't care.

Yep. I might actually buy this down the line as a second back up PS4, or use my old PS4 as a back up...in the end this is just a revision like last gen except with performance upgrades, its not replacing PS5 IMO.

But what it does mean now is that they can punt PS5 for a few more years than they otherwise would have.

Top Bottom