• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 | Review Thread

True, but if they really wanted those double-dipping-dollars, they wouldn't have bothered to disclose the existence of the Light FX figures before the game released. I'm sure a fair number of people are holding off on Yoda and Obi-wan because they know the Light FX versions are coming.

Yeah, but there's likely plenty who wont have the patience to hold off. They're banking on those individuals for extra sales. Why else even bother releasing the regular figures if they expect everyone to hold off?

thanks. so what's the best thing to buy if i want to have/play with the Inside Out figurines but absolutely no SW ones.

Used base at gamestop, digital copy of the game and the Inside Out playset.

So can you only experience the combat upgrades in the new play sets, or is it a software upgrade and like the incredibles have better moves?

If it's like 2.0 all characters get the upgrades.

Yeah, but there's likely plenty who wont have the patience to hold off. They're banking on those individuals for extra sales. Why else even bother releasing the regular figures if they expect everyone to hold off?

Sure, and that's fine, but the important part is that they're giving us that choice through the advanced notice. If people don't want to wait, that's okay, but for those of us that only want the "definitive" version of the character, at least we know we should wait (where possible).

vongruetz

Banned
thanks. so what's the best thing to buy if i want to have/play with the Inside Out figurines but absolutely no SW ones.

Buy the game digitally, get a power base off ebay, and then purchase the Inside Out playset. Or you can a few more characters by picking up the 2.0 starter set (which comes with the power base and 3 Avengers characters) which is around $30 right now. Get that, the game digitally, and then the Inside Out play set.

Here's the confirmed list

-Anakin Skywalker
-Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Yoda
-Luke Skywalker
-Darth Vader
-Kanan Jarrus

So you'll know which figures are getting it for sure

So with Luke and Anakin, if you have both playsets you'll have to not use those two if you intend to buy their special editions, and not go through the effort of levelling up twice. There's probably gonna be a flood of used Anakins and Lukes on the market...

Edit: are they reusing the same Luke and anakin model? It would be cool if we got Jedi Luke in black attire and green saber...

Sure, and that's fine, but the important part is that they're giving us that choice through the advanced notice. If people don't want to wait, that's okay, but for those of us that only want the "definitive" version of the character, at least we know we should wait (where possible).

Yep, fair enough. Ive already decided to hold off on Vader....

So with Luke and Anakin, if you have both playsets you'll have to not use those two if you intend to buy their special editions, and not go through the effort of levelling up twice. There's probably gonna be a flood of used Anakins and Lukes on the market....

You know, it would be great if they could make a feature of a one-time transfer of data from one Anakin/Luke figure to the Light FX version. That's probably asking too much, but it would likely be a nice incentive for fence sitters that don't want to lose progress on their vanilla version of the figure to upgrade to the Light FX version.

You know, it would be great if they could make a feature of a one-time transfer of data from one Anakin/Luke figure to the Light FX version. That's probably asking too much, but it would likely be a nice incentive for fence sitters that don't want to lose progress on their vanilla version of the figure to upgrade to the Light FX version.

Good idea, that or make alternate versions of said characters. Jedi Luke and Sith Anakin( Vader) pre-burning? They'd need to give them unique powers/ moves from their vanilla counterparts, to make it worth levelling them all up. Otherwise, with your idea, I guess you'd have to put both figures on the portal to initiate some kind of data swap? That would be nice, but like you say probably asking for too much...

Briarios

So I have peeked through and am still a bit unclear.
Which older disks work with 3.0?
I wanted to pick up some of the Jack Skellington stuff and maybe some Avengers stuff

Everything works except playsets and game discs.

Good idea, that or make alternate versions of said characters. Jedi Luke and Sith Anakin( Vader) pre-burning? They'd need to give them unique powers/ moves from their vanilla counterparts, to make it worth levelling them all up. Otherwise, with your idea, I guess you'd have to put both figures on the portal to initiate some kind of data swap? That would be nice, but like you say probably asking for too much...

Alternated versions of characters will probably come as discs.

Elginer

This has prob been asked and answered but I missed it somehow. I purchased the Marvel Starter Pack last month for a super great deal ($20) but want to upgrade to 3.0 without dropping some 65 bucks just for the starter pack as I mostly want the InsideOut pack.

Is there a cheap digital upgrade on PSN?

curb

Banned
Thanks a bunch! Sucks because now I will avoid buying any of these until the FX version is released.

I've just decided that I don't need light up figures at a $1 premium. I'd buy an Ahsoka one but that's more because I'd like an extra figure of her for my desk. I know I'll be able to find one through ebay or gamestop after launch but I'd wait for a light up one if they had one.

This has prob been asked and answered but I missed it somehow. I purchased the Marvel Starter Pack last month for a super great deal ($20) but want to upgrade to 3.0 without dropping some 65 bucks just for the starter pack as I mostly want the InsideOut pack.

Yes, there'll be a digital Toy Box download then you can just get the 3.0 play sets or figures you want. Sounds like it'll be at a discount for launch.

19.99 launch promo price, then get the playset separately.

Sweet! Many thanks.

Actually, I just looked this up. Last year this promo occurred, there hasnt been an official announcement yet for this year, but be on the lookout. Otherwise, the digital download is $29.99 which IMO is a little high considering you literally cant do anything with the game without the portal and figures.

fernoca

Sweet! Many thanks.
Keeping in mind that you still need 2.0 to play the 2.0 playsets, so if you want to play The Avengers playset you need to switch to 2.0, then switch to 3.0 for Inside Out.

Actually, I just looked this up. Last year this promo occurred, there hasnt been an official announcement yet for this year, but be on the lookout. Otherwise, the digital download is $29.99 which IMO is a little high considering you literally cant do anything with the game without the portal and figures.
Is still happening for 3.0. $19.99 until January 2016...well, at least on Wii U.

Should be the same for others.

vongruetz

Banned

The discount is good again for this year. The Disney Infinity Twitter account made the announcement:

http://infinityinquirer.com/2015/08...ion-will-be-priced-at-19-99-for-limited-time/

Looks like $19.99 through the end of the year.

Luckydog

Nope, it seems MS choose not to participate in the promo. Sooooo, for me its between ps3 and wii U, since Im up in the air on whether Im getting a ps4 this year or not.

That sucks. I have a PS4 as well, but its really a game play a lot with the kids. They like the xbox controller much more and the Bone is in the family room for the kids. Its only 10 bucks but its just another in a long line of minor stupid things from MS.... and I love the Xbox. Sometimes I just think they are personally challenging me to like them with these paper cuts....Anyway, back on topic. At least this means I can get the PS4 set since I will need a base and get Boba Fett early.

jim2011

That sucks. I have a PS4 as well, but its really a game play a lot with the kids. They like the xbox controller much more and the Bone is in the family room for the kids. Its only 10 bucks but its just another in a long line of minor stupid things from MS.... and I love the Xbox. Sometimes I just think they are personally challenging me to like them with these paper cuts....Anyway, back on topic. At least this means I can get the PS4 set since I will need a base and get Boba Fett early.

Blame Disney, Microsoft does not set prices. Sony might be offsetting the discount but they also paid for the exclusive set and figure.

That sucks. I have a PS4 as well, but its really a game play a lot with the kids. They like the xbox controller much more and the Bone is in the family room for the kids. Its only 10 bucks but its just another in a long line of minor stupid things from MS.... and I love the Xbox.

Yep, and to exasperate the situation the xbox portals are locked to their system. Wii, ps3 and ps4 portals are all interchangable...

vongruetz

Banned
Blame Disney, Microsoft does not set prices. Sony might be offsetting the discount but they also paid for the exclusive set and figure.

I'm not so sure. Both Nintendo and PlayStation are discounting the digital version of the game and Microsoft "looks to have not signed on to take part in the promotion.

This is in line with the special edition bundle. I seem to remember last year JV saying that they had approached both Microsoft and Nintendo about doing an exclusive bundle, but they did not want to participate. So that's why only PlayStation has had this special exclusive two years in a row.

Luckydog

Considering both Nintendo and Sony were able to figure out how to get the discount in, and not lock their base to a single system, I think its more than fair to lay the blame at MS's feet.

FWIW, Comicbook.com gave it an A+.

http://comicbook.com/2015/08/29/review-yes-disney-infinity-3-0-is-the-game-youve-been-looking-fo/

And there's another glowing review of the Toy Box Takeover mode (and counterpoint to Kotaku's opinion on that mode):

Comicbook.com said:
The Toy Box Takeover, where the villains from all the properties under the Disney umbrella team up and you can use any character from all three versions to take them down is everything I dreamed Disney Infinity could or would ever become. When my wife and I fought Darth Maul using Baymax and Princess Jasmine, I was suddenly six years old again, sitting in my friend Brian's basement, teaming up He-Man and Lion-O to take over his sister's Barbie Mansion, navigating an obstacle course of micromachines and little green plastic toy soldiers to face their ultimate enemy, Starscream the Transformer. It's a memory that makes me smile and sigh (and yeah, get a bit teary-eyed), and feel like, as Walt Disney famously said, "If you can dream it, you can do it." I got that same amazing feeling from what could have been a silly moment in a kid-friendly video game, and that is a magic you just don't find in entertainment that often.

BraXzy

Ended up picking up 3.0 for my little bro in the end. He's pretty chuffed with it.

Having never played one of these things before, in the quick time we tried it out, I really struggled with all the menu's. So confusing, and the lack of control scheme/explanation in the manual didn't help. RIP game manuals.

jwk94

So I preordered from Amazon today but I'm not seeing the toy box takeover mentioned in my preorder. I know I saw it mentioned on the product page and it even has an image of the thing. Should I contact support?

Briarios

So I preordered from Amazon today but I'm not seeing the toy box takeover mentioned in my preorder. I know I saw it mentioned on the product page and it even has an image of the thing. Should I contact support?

I wouldn't worry. Amazon rarely lists pre-order bonus items on your invoice.

So as I understand it I can buy the digital download and continue using 2.0 base and figures in the new 3.0 toybox ?

I can then buy any 3.0 playset and it will work on the 2.0 base?

TVexperto

So I was thinking about getting this or skylanders..I never bought a game like this before, where do I get more gameplay for my money? Or is it both the same?

raviolico

Got the start set. Holy sh*t, it`s a pain in the ass
to get those nice figures out of the dumb plastic case without
ripping them nearly apart...lol.

stlobus

So I was thinking about getting this or skylanders..I never bought a game like this before, where do I get more gameplay for my money? Or is it both the same?

The Skylanders games are action platformers with a set campaign that you play through. In Trap Team, there's also an arena mode you can play in to overcome combat challenges and earn stars. The campaign is lengthy, mostly because the levels are somewhat large and character movement is relatively slow. However, once you've completed the campaign, that's pretty much it unless you're a completionist and play through each level gaining every star.

Infinity is more of a base engine with the Toy Box mode, allowing you to create and play within your own worlds as much as you like. There really are endless possibilities for what you can do with it. When you want something different, there are the play sets that you can use to play through a campaign. From my experience with Infinity 1, and limited exposure to 2, a lot of these campaigns are wide open areas with fun stories to play through. The Lone Ranger set, for example, was basically a family friendly Red Dead Redemption.

While the Skylanders games have been more entertaining to me thus far, the options and possibilities with Infinity have really started to live up to the game's name. You do have to pay an additional amount anytime you want a new play set, but that would be true for any of the expansion levels in Skylanders. The biggest difference is Skylanders has a much larger campaign out of the box, but Infinity has a much larger variety with its Toy Box mode and whatever campaign is included with your purchase.

SpotAnime

Everything works except playsets and game discs.

I don't understand. Is this correct that the Toy Boxes are not forward compatible? According to the Infinity Compatibility Guide, any Toy Boxes created in previous versions will carry forward, items and all.

Most Disney Infinity Toy Box Toys you previously unlocked in the Toy Box mode will be available for you to use in the Disney Infinity Toy Box 3.0 if you log in to your Disney Account in both versions of the game. All other Disney Infinity Toy Box Toys are unlocked by placing the appropriate Disney Infinity Figures or Play Set pieces on the Disney Infinity Base as described in the compatibility mentioned here. Toy Boxes you created in the previous version of Disney Infinity will be available in Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition when you log in with your Disney Account and download them to Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition.

Couldn't they make this any more confusing?

vongruetz

Banned
I don't understand. Is this correct that the Toy Boxes are not forward compatible? According to the Infinity Compatibility Guide, any Toy Boxes created in previous versions will carry forward, items and all.

I think when it says "Toy Box" in that photo, it's referring to the Toy Box Game Discs (aka, those unused blue discs that came with in the starter pack). The play sets and the game discs will not move forward, but everything else does. It would probably help if they didn't attach "toy box" to those discs since they have nothing to do with the toy boxes.

Top Bottom