• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 | Review Thread

Briarios

I don't understand. Is this correct that the Toy Boxes are not forward compatible? According to the Infinity Compatibility Guide, any Toy Boxes created in previous versions will carry forward, items and all.

Couldn't they make this any more confusing?

Yeah, the graphic is only referring to physical objects -- so, it's referring to the Toy Box Game Discs. Every digital toy you unlocked to create things in the toy box mode carries over.

The reason they're called Toy Box Discs is because those are the games where you can mix & match characters from different properties -- like Pixar & Star Wars.

Anyone else having issues playing the arcade games in the Toy BoxHub? Been trying to get the trophy to play 10 matches and the lobbies either won't load up or everyone keeps getting kicked. Very annoying, especially as there are Feats attached to it as well.

Can you finish the game without the need to buy extra figures like skylanders?

Define "finish". There is no Main quest like skylanders. If you mean get all trophies/achievements yes, you can, since most of them are toy box mode related. Of course you need playsets to finish them.

So what's the situation with the Toybox Takeover preorder bonus backorder issue?

I know with Amazon.com as soon as they sent out my game bundle I got an email saying there was a credit on my account to purchase the Toybox Takeover for free. They then sent me a link to that product and I had to "order" it separately for free. Looks like that is expected to ship later next week.

Briarios

I'd like to throw this out one more time - I have an extra base if someone wants it (PS/Wii compatible). I'm getting the Star Wars Saga set, so I won't need my old one. PM me if you want it and I'll send it your way. US only, though ... Can't afford international postage :(

Yessssss. My Starter Pack and Toy Box Takeover disc are both ready to be picked up at Best Buy. Taking my daughter there tomorrow morning when it opens. It's gonna be a surprise. Can't wait to see the look on her face when we get the Inside Out characters!

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Gonna have to pick this up tomorrow. Never played an infinity game but looking at the gameplay vids I know my kids will love it. So I can buy a toy from infinity 1.0 and it will work 3.0 correct? I'm going to try and grab a few toys from Cars

bodine1231

Is this worth getting if I don't want to create anything in the Toy Box and just play story missions?

Dammit,why wont Best Buy let me pre-order with store pickup. So annoying.

Gonna have to pick this up tomorrow. Never played an infinity game but looking at the gameplay vids I know my kids will love it. So I can buy a toy from infinity 1.0 and it will work 3.0 correct? I'm going to try and grab a few toys from Cars

Everything but the 1.0/2.0 Playsets and Toybox discs.

chrislowe

Define "finish". There is no Main quest like skylanders. If you mean get all trophies/achievements yes, you can, since most of them are toy box mode related. Of course you need playsets to finish them.

Oh. That was sad to hear.

Im still tempted.

Why didnt disney 3.0 come in like january and skylanders supercharhers in july and lego dimensions in christmas... my wallet!! :)

FYI, I think BestBuy.com still has the 1.0 Cars Playset for $8. Also, Toys R Us currently has the 1.0 Sidekicks three pack of Mrs. Incredible, Captain Barbarossa, and Mike Wazowski for $7.75. If you do some digging around, you can find some great deals on the more common figures from 1.0 and 2.0.

Is this worth getting if I don't want to create anything in the Toy Box and just play story missions?

Probably not, to be quite honest. The playsets are all pretty short, and don't have much replayability. To get full enjoyment from the experience, you'd ideally want to be interested in all of the various aspects it offers. But look into the improved Toy Box Hub, it seems to be offering some interesting new stuff that might pique your interest.

Cleve

Even if you don't want to create anything there have been some amusing user-created content you can download. I'd say for 1.0 and 2.0 though, the playsets are pretty weak overall and not worth jumping in to just for their content.

I hope 3.0's play sets are as improved as people are saying.

Yes. I never played Toy Box in either 1.0 or 2.0. Plus the play sets look to be more fleshed out than the Marvel ones last year.

But you're too late to do in store pickup. Best Buy usually shuts it off the day before on games.

Alright, last question: is there a bundle/package that comes with all star wars playlists? I really want to play the empire one but my understabding is that the base game available digitally and physically tonorrow only has the prequel trilogy?

The OT Playset officially releases a month from now. But you can get the Saga Bundle for both PS3 and PS4 and get it early, along with an early Boba Fett figure, which won't release for everyone until January.

Briarios

I'm hoping that I'll be able to find a Sabine at Target tomorrow. These retailer exclusives are annoying. I've got Mulan pre-ordered at Best Buy ... I think those are the only two I'm picking up. I'll wait for the light up Vader.

Dragoshi1

Thanks to the reviews and gameplay I've seen so far, I went and dropped a preorder on the Saga Edition for PS4.

I'll need to take a trip to Target afterwards to get Sabine, though.

Concept17

2.0 was pretty disappointing for me and the kids. Outside of collecting characters my kids never really got into it like they have other games. I'm surprised by these reviews.

vongruetz

Banned
2.0 was pretty disappointing for me and the kids. Outside of collecting characters my kids never really got into it like they have other games. I'm surprised by these reviews.

My daughter definitely did not enjoy the 2.0 play sets as much as 1.0, but she was completely enamored with everything toy box (especially playing with a friend).

I can see how 3.0 corrected more of the wrongs from 2.0. First, they made the play sets varied and interesting to play. The Avengers sets were all a bit boring and a chore to play. They've also improved what you can do in the toy box. Thanks to Sumo digital, it seems like the racing element will actually be good. The farming system gives you something to do aside from dropping in enemies and fighting them. And just having a play set that is not action focused is appealing to a lot of players out there.

Can't wait to give it a try tomorrow.

Amneisac

Is the Saga Bundle really a good value? It doesn't really seem worth being double the price or am I missing something?

Seems like it's basically just regular price for extra stuff you just get it early?

curb

Banned
Is the Saga Bundle really a good value? It doesn't really seem worth being double the price or am I missing something?

Seems like it's basically just regular price for extra stuff you just get it early?

I think it's works out to be the same price as if you'd bought it all separately. It's the only way to get Boba Fett this year but that's really it. It's a good way to jump in if you're new and like Star Wars but that's about it.

It's one dollar more than buying the items separately, but you get the early access to the OT playset and Boba Fett.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Disney hit the panic button and spent a zillion dollars hiring eight development studios to make this game better since Marvel had a notable sales drop and they didn't want to lose this business.

Amneisac

It's one dollar more than buying the items separately, but you get the early access to the OT playset and Boba Fett.

Okay, cool, thank you. It is tempting to go ahead and get the full version now, but with Skylanders and Dimensions coming out soon I think the starter pack will be enough for us to know if we're ready to give DI another chance. We were pretty disappointed with 1.0 and skipped 2.0 completely.

Effect

What about the framerate? I heard it runs fine on PS4 and Xbox 360 but like shit on WiiU. What about the other platforms?

This. If this once again runs bad on Nintendo hardware I'm done with it. So any reviews or reports specific to the Wii U version? Anyone?

Count me in as someone that got 1.0 but was disappointed and didn't even bother with 2.0. I was hoping 3.0 would be better.

Okay, cool, thank you. It is tempting to go ahead and get the full version now, but with Skylanders and Dimensions coming out soon I think the starter pack will be enough for us to know if we're ready to give DI another chance. We were pretty disappointed with 1.0 and skipped 2.0 completely.

Yeah, I've got the same conflict. I was ok with 1.0 and 2.0 just plain sucked, but between Star Wars and the great reviews I purchased 3.0. I'm curious how Dimensions will do up against this. I love LEGO sets, but the more recent LEGO games seem very repetitive. I don't want to get an expensive game just due to the fact that it has a couple LEGO minifigures in it that look cool.

Chairhome

Was going to skip this, but seems like a greater effort, and Star Wars... I pre ordered the special edition ps4 version last night

Amneisac

Yeah, I've got the same conflict. I was ok with 1.0 and 2.0 just plain sucked, but between Star Wars and the great reviews I purchased 3.0. I'm curious how Dimensions will do up against this. I love LEGO sets, but the more recent LEGO games seem very repetitive. I don't want to get an expensive game just due to the fact that it has a couple LEGO minifigures in it that look cool.

The only thing that has me holding out hope for Lego is that they have said they won't keep charging for new 'portals' and that once you buy the portal/starter pack they're dedicated to downloads for expansions. I think that's much more consumer-friendly in the long run, even if there's already like $500 worth of Lego Dimensions shit for pre-order.

empyrean

Found 1.0 and 2.0 playsets very repetitive. I'm not into starwars...so I'm thinking of giving this one a miss?

Also, didn't play toy box at all in 2.0 so is 3.0 worth it?

Got the Special Edition today - really enjoying it. Racing has improved massively which you can tell even in the brief intro.

All of the star wars stuff Is really well done and the actual play sets seem a lot better than before. Got Rise of the Empire in the special pack but not tried that yet.

canceled my order for the saga bundle. Will show up at Target tomorrow morning to pick up Mickey + Minnie for $20 and just wait from there. Since the Light FX figures are coming later, I'll just pick up the game when those are out and I'm sure I'll find a way to get the starter pack, rise against the empire pack, and boba fett for cheaper later down the line. I'd prefer not to own two versions of the light fx characters if at all possible.

RoyalFool

Banned
Picked this up today with a bunch of expansions.

Disappointed by the graphics, considering skylanders looked rather lovely on next-gen - this is clearly just the last gen assets running in 1080p. Image quality is also quite poor, but the Inside Out world/hub (whatever you call them) looks even worse than the base game content, a load of really low resolution textures and low poly character models all over the place.

Metalmarc

CDsH0wg.jpg

Got my first figure today

More to follow

Ramirez

The fighting mechanics have been done by Ninja Theory and the racing stuff by Sumo Digital.

There is stuttering on Xbox One, too. ^^

Yea, I guess I should have clarified, I traded the Wii U version in and got the PS4 version. But then realized he was hogging the PS4, so I put the Bone in his room for this year's figure games, lol.

Top Bottom