• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age Inquisition Launch Trailer (hot) and Release Date (October 7th)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Seems like the protagonist will be Morrigan's child.

It won't be. They've specifically said things like that won't be in the game unless players import a world state that brings it in. And since the canon and most people didn't go through with the Dark Ritual, they aren't going to be making it a central plot point of the game.

Grisby

That's what Dragon Age Keep is for. I don't know how it works as its still under NDA, but, I know the main goal is to get the saves (or world state at least) over.

Dragon Age Keep.

No one will be importing saves. You will be using an HTML5 based browser app to create a custom world state by answering questions and choosing events, which will all be in the cloud so it wont matter what games you have played, what systems they were on and what system you are on now.

So if you've played the games but want to see a different outcome of choices you didn't make you can do that in the Keep without issue.
Interesting, Thanks for the info.

I'm kind of glad I can choose the PS4 if it turns out to be a head and a tail above the X1.

So basically those expecting Dragon's Dogma will be sorely disappointed, but so will people expecting Dragon Age:Origins combat. This is not a pure RPG. It's an action RPG.

It's clear that Bioware is still pushing (silently) the whole "Think like a general, fight like a Spartan" ideology.

Blech, this is a bummer. Although I suppose the real question is, does the ARPG focus imply linearity? That's something the DA games have suffered from in my opinion, a rails feeling, and it's not clear whether that's improved or not in this new one.

Ugh, I just realized this is probably going to be Origin-only, too? In which case definitely not going to be getting.

Aruhamel

Banned
2) It's not Origins turn based tactical combat. It's not fully Dragon Age 2. It's a mostly action driven game, with real time based defense and attack systems, that seem to play surprisingly like any standard real time action game. You can however pause the combat and bring up an overhead tactical map. This does not allow for true Baldur's Gate style turn based combat, but does allow you to strategise squadmate positioning and spell usage. From the PAX demo it doesn't seem to be a throwaway feature, but instead a pretty decent addition to the real time combat, as it allows you to better pinpoint and strategise spell usage, position range units, and other such stuff.
Uhm...neither Dragon Age: Origins nor Baldur's Gate were ever turn-based.

ironcreed

Banned
Really unpopular opinion:

I'm way more excited about this than The Witcher 3.

Can't wait :D

As am I. You are not alone. But at least The Witcher 3 got pushed into next year and we will have time to enjoy both without juggling between the two.

JayEH

WHY OCTOBER 7? Damn, that day was already packed with Alien and Shadow of Mordor.

I sometimes really don't understand why pubs decide to blitz one day like this sometimes.

Well I'm glad we at least have a date now.

antitrop

Is it really a Steam game if it runs through Origin?

It runs through Origin? I uninstalled it like a few days after it came out, well before they removed it from Steam and made it Origin only.

When I bought it from Steam at launch it ran through Steam and Steam only.

RPGCrazied

I don't have a PS4 right now, so I guess I'll wait and see what the PS3/360 versions look like. I'm interested in the game though.

Minsc

Gold Member
It runs through Origin? I uninstalled it like a few days after it came out, well before they removed it from Steam and made it Origin only.

When I bought it from Steam at launch it ran through Steam and Steam only.

Oh, I misunderstood you and thought you were talking about Inquisition, not DA2.

Patryn

Uhm...neither Dragon Age: Origins nor Baldur's Gate were ever turn-based.

They weren't necessarily turn-based, but they were round-based. Everyone just took their turn simultaneously in those rounds.

BG's rounds were 6 seconds, for instance. Not sure how long DA:O's rounds were.

Jon Armdog

Does anyone know if the PC version will have controller support? Bioware is erally weird about that stuff.

I believe I read somewhere DA:I was going to have controller support on PC. I can't remember where though. Man, if they could give us controller support and Steam activation, I'd preorder the damn thing for PC right now.

Shinta

Banned
WHY OCTOBER 7? Damn, that day was already packed with Alien and Shadow of Mordor.

I sometimes really don't understand why pubs decide to blitz one day like this sometimes.

Well I'm glad we at least have a date now.

If I had to choose from those 3, so far I'd go with Shadow of Mordor. All 3 look pretty interesting though.

Philippo

YES
Exactly the time frame i hoped for, so i'll have a month fully dedicated to Destiny and then hopping onto next-gen rpg goodness, hope it doesn't disappoint.

injurai

Banned
Couple of points of interest for people who maybe haven't been totally following this game.

1) It's not true open world. As in, full open world, the same way Elder Scrolls and Grand Theft Auto are. What it is instead is regional open world, so instead of one sprawling cohesive landmass you'll travel to a number of locations in the Dragon Age universe and each is built as an open environment. I believe regions will become accessible as you progress through the story and you'll be able to change between them, but yeah. Instead of walking from one area to another totally seamlessly on a relatively small sample of continent that houses the entire game, Inquisition has you travelling to various regions of the content that are each built with their open world landmass.

2) It's not Origins turn based tactical combat. It's not fully Dragon Age 2. It's a mostly action driven game, with real time based defense and attack systems, that seem to play surprisingly like any standard real time action game. You can however pause the combat and bring up an overhead tactical map. This does not allow for true Baldur's Gate style turn based combat, but does allow you to strategise squadmate positioning and spell usage. From the PAX demo it doesn't seem to be a throwaway feature, but instead a pretty decent addition to the real time combat, as it allows you to better pinpoint and strategise spell usage, position range units, and other such stuff.

Sounds more like Mass Effect's approach to combat.

Aruhamel

Banned
They weren't necessarily turn-based, but they were round-based. Everyone just took their turn simultaneously in those rounds.

BG's rounds were 6 seconds, for instance. Not sure how long DA:O's rounds were.
Even with rounds (and they did allow for non-simultaneous action depending on things like weapon speed), Baldur's Gate was still a far cry from being turn-based. And I don't think DA:O had rounds.

Kinthalis

Banned
The fact that the DA:O combat is not coming back really affects my decision on whether to conitnue with this franchise or not.

I guess I'll be waiting for more gameplay videos/reviews, since I'm not clear on exaclty what the differences are going to be.

DA:O wasn't turn based. It was full on real time, but pause and play was how you arranged your party, directed attacks and spells, and managed special abilities. If that's in, I'm in.

H3xum

The fact that the DA:O combat is not coming back really affects my decision on whether to conitnue with this franchise or not.

I gues sI'll be waiting for more gameplay videos/reviews.

The combat will be very similar (and situationaly more tactical if you use the wheel) to the game from your avatar.

Patryn

I guess I'll be waiting for more gameplay videos/reviews, since I'm not clear on exaclty what the differences are going to be.

DA:O wasn't turn based. It was full on real time, but pause and play was how you arranged your party, directed attacks and spells, and managed special abilities. If that's in, I'm in.

Gameplay footage.

Seems like the protagonist will be Morrigan's child.

You have any evidence to back up that claim? It'd be interesting but unless time passes by faster where she is vs the real world, it wouldn't make sense.

It won't be. They've specifically said things like that won't be in the game unless players import a world state that brings it in. And since the canon and most people didn't go through with the Dark Ritual, they aren't going to be making it a central plot point of the game.

Did they say this claim is untrue? Also most people didn't go through with it? I find that hard to believe considering that the ritual was basically "bone me if you want to live" which in any way you think about it as a guy, is a win-win.

antitrop

The combat will be very similar (and situationaly more tactical if you use the wheel) to the game from your avatar.

I hope not, combat is the worst part of The Witcher games. Especially before they inevitably try to fix it with patches.

The Witcher 2's combat was "Roll around like a dumbass until you get a chance to strike".

I love me some Witcher, but not because of the combat.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
looks like rolling with verric (was the only saving grace of 2 he was pretty cool) and vivienne as healing/support and me as a tank not sure on my fourth yet

H3xum

I hope not, combat is the worst part of The Witcher games. Especially before they inevitably try to fix it with patches.

The Witcher 2's combat was "Roll around like a dumbass until you get a chance to strike".

I love me some Witcher, but not because of the combat.

Not exactly a good news...

I was using that as a marker for the pace, not for the style.

The environments come into play, and with the wheel you can tactically pause and setup a series of events

Patryn

I was using that as a marker for the pace, not for the style.

The environments come into play, and with the wheel you can tactically pause and setup a series of events

I'm not quite sure you can say a "setup a series of events." I don't believe it has queuing of actions, so you can only assign a single action to each team member, and they'll execute immediately after unpausing.

H3xum

I'm not quite sure you can say a "setup a series of events." I don't believe it has queuing of actions, so you can only assign a single action to each team member, and they'll execute immediately after unpausing.

Series of events does not mean que. You can set your mage to freeze and then your thief to backstab and so on and so forth. A series of events.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Dragon Age Keep.

No one will be importing saves. You will be using an HTML5 based browser app to create a custom world state by answering questions and choosing events, which will all be in the cloud so it wont matter what games you have played, what systems they were on and what system you are on now.

So if you've played the games but want to see a different outcome of choices you didn't make you can do that in the Keep without issue.

Well that sounds kind of dumb ..

say I'm gonna play this on PS3 or PC, I could easily have the saves from DA1 and 2 ... why not allow to import straight up ?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Did they say this claim is untrue? Also most people didn't go through with it? I find that hard to believe considering that the ritual was basically "bone me if you want to live" which in any way you think about it as a guy, is a win-win.

This specific idea of the protag being the Dark Ritual baby, to my knowledge no, but it would run in complete contrast to all their other claims about how they would be dealing with major choices from past games. Not only that, but seeing as we can be anything from a Human to a Qunari it is kind of unrealistic to think that any of those would be the offspring of Morrigan and another human, even with "magic." And the fact that only like 10 or so years have passed since DAO, so not only would the baby need to magically transform into a variety of races, but they would have to fully develop in to a 20-30 year old person with in the span of 10 years and develop that amount of time's memories and background to go along with it.

So we are talking about several giant leaps in logic and a total contradiction to a large number of people's choices to not go through with the Dark Ritual.

Well that sounds kind of dumb ..

say I'm gonna play this on PS3 or PC, I could easily have the saves from DA1 and 2 ... why not allow to import straight up ?

It's an issue of save integrity with the DA Keep. They said they are working to see if it's possible but they aren't making any promises. Their saves from DAO and DA2 are really complicated and can be easily broken depending on what quests you started, which you finished, which you didn't finish, where you are in the main story, if it's complete or if it's not. Which is all a lot to take into account and could easily mess up things. So for all intents and purposes there won't be any save importing until they say so, which is again unlikely.

Top Bottom