• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7 and 8 for 3DS show up on Amazon [Update: Confirmed]

kswiston

I was convinced that DQ7 was a lost cause, but it looks like we will get it 3 years late after all! Will buy.

DQ8 is probably a skip for me. I am fine with the PS2 version I have.

entremet

I was convinced that DQ7 was a lost cause, but it looks like we will get it 3 years late after all! Will buy.

The 3DS is faster and has no random encounters, which I think are huge deals for replays, also a higher quality OST.

I'm more nostalgic about that one, but I'm glad I'm finally gonna play DQVII, as the game is super pricey on the aftermarket and a superior version already exists, albeit not localized until today's announcements.

Boney

Banned
Had given up hope and dug up the ps2 the other day and got a friend to lend me VIII.

Got the crystal ball so I don't know maybe I should wait for the 3ds version

Joqu

Have they said who's publishing this yet. Is SE finally ready to push DQ again or is this a Bravely Default scenario and Nintendo is saving the day?

This gives me way more hope we'll see the 3DS version of DQ XI as well as the PS4 one. I'll likely go PS4 regardless, but I'd like the option.

What Bill said gave me the impression it was Nintendo again but maybe I'm reading into it too much.

mclem

Published by Nintendo?

Does this mean there's a reasonable chance of a Slime Amiibo? Or a figurine in a Collector's Edition?

My copies of 4, 5, 6 and 9 are unplayed on DS. Time to fire em up. Hopefully I get through one or two before these arrive :).

Is there an advantage to playing in order?

Capra

So... Is VIII drastically improved playing on n3DS or would I have a relatively enjoyable, not-laggy/ugly-as-fuck experience on my old 3DS?

kswiston

The 3DS is faster and has no random encounters, which I think are huge deals for replays, also a higher quality OST.

I'm more nostalgic about that one, but I'm glad I'm finally gonna play DQVII, as the game is super pricey on the aftermarket and a superior version already exists, albeit not localized until today's announcements.

I just don't care enough about those improvements to fork out the $50-60 (+tax) that the game will end up costing in Canada. I also prefer playing 3D games on console as I've never found portables all that comfortable in my hands (doesn't help that I have the OG 3DS, which is small).

Nista

I may have to get a new regular size 3DS for when VII comes out. I haven't wanted to bother firing up the PSX to play it again, so this is fantastic news!

Joqu

Yeah, I realised that was unlikely after the writing it. Still, after a rethink came up with a similarly appealing idea.

I'd love to own a Slime amiibo too but there's no way they'd let Japanese players miss out on one.

Dark_castle

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT

My face right now

dragon-quest-slime-image-01.png

Mr Popo?

entremet

Does it also retain the voice acting?

Not sure. Those details haven't been divulged to the media yet.

I do know the original Japanese version on the PS2 did not have voice acting.

No idea if they added voices for the Japanese 3DS version.

kswiston

If I never played a Dragon Quest game before, would one of these games be the perfect starting point? If so, which one?

Unless more modern graphics are of huge importance to you, the perfect starting point would probably be one of DQ3-5.

DQ7 is like 100 hours long (and I'm talking a regular run through, not 100% completion). DQ8 is about 70 hours. The 3 I listed are 20-30 hour games. DQ4-5 are playable on DS/3DS. All 3 are available on iOS/Android for $10-15. If you like the older games, you can always progress towards the modern titles.

1upsuper

I am so happy about this. This was the GOAT Direct for me entirely because of DQ. Couldn't care less about Cloud in Smash. So glad Nintendo has stepped up to the plate
again
with DQ.

YourMaster

I had already given up hope on these and the monster. Very happy with this.

My copies of 4, 5, 6 and 9 are unplayed on DS. Time to fire em up. Hopefully I get through one or two before these arrive :).

Is there an advantage to playing in order?

Several. Play them in order.

Lothar

Banned
If I never played a Dragon Quest game before, would one of these games be the perfect starting point? If so, which one?

V or VIII. V if you lean more towards having the best story. VIII if you want something that's the most modern with a giant beautiful world, orchestrated soundtrack, and being able to see your characters on the battle screen and see them perform the actions. (That makes the battles slower though)

Import-GAF, how are VII & VIII respectively on 3DS fun factor, polish and feature wise? (I'm an eager newcomer to the series, been playing DQ V DS which is my first DQ and love it) Anyways...

YES, FINALLY. I'm absolutely over the moon about this. Spending some quality time with DQ V to celebrate the announcement. Also, glad to see this confirms that Horii really did let the cat out of the bag during that French Q&A back in July. :D

AmyS

Joker 2 is also cheap if you want to go for a full DS set.

It's like 13 buck on Amazon new.

Sweet. Haven't played any of the DQ side series yet.

On another note, I first became aware of Dragon Quest through Electronic Gaming Monthly. (July 1989) Gaming Gossip - Quartermann's column:

zxEIJVu.jpg

Ricker

Same...and I still havent finished it lol...I was stuck somewhere,no clue where to go because I came back to it after a few months...maybe halfway through.

Andrew J.

2016 is gonna be a year of Dragon Quest for me. I'll go back and finally finish III GBC, then IV-VI on DS, hopefully before VII comes out.

Top Bottom