• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

QaaQer

Its already default $49.99 for every PS4owner...this game if anything is doing ok digital Sales but not so good at retail.

Retail will probably put it in their black friday deals to get rid of it fast, I personally saw stacks and stacks of it, everybody was just picking up NBA2K15.

did pretty well in UK & Germany.

Dat feeling when you get the third star in the Marussia Drift. After countless tries I somehow managed to get +3k points on a single turn. No idea how or what I did differently, I'm just happy to have that one over with. 390th on the leaderboards currently. Curious for how long I'll stay in top 1000, now that leaderboards work more consistently.

Edit: @Joeki11a: Seriously, what's wrong with you?

gruenel

This here, not good for biz but guess some people accept driving around toy cars basically.

As long as they can make gifs gawking at lighting or the worlds details visuals, impress me with gifs of the cars specs performance changes.

I swear many are playing this due to graphics hype and nothing else, driving around looking at the world graphics around the car, breaking mid race to stare at graphics, its ridiculous save that for Uncharted.

I think everybody has understood that you don't like this game.

It's time to stop shitting up this thread.

Hedrush

I got a notification regarding the 3 downloadable cars, so l redeem the free code and nothing else happens.

Have l missed something?

Goto the game overview from the Driveclub tile on the PS menu screen and scroll to the bottom you'll see your addons. I had 7 addons but 3 where the old preorder downloads.

tfur

This here, not good for biz but guess some people accept driving around toy cars basically.

As long as they can make gifs gawking at lighting or the worlds details visuals, impress me with gifs of the cars specs performance changes.

I swear many are playing this due to graphics hype and nothing else, driving around looking at the world graphics around the car, breaking mid race to stare at graphics, its ridiculous save that for Uncharted.

You are honestly embarrassing yourself.
It's one thing to discuss your opinions, but this is just a bit silly and sad.

Holy shit at the difficulty spike on the Semi-Pro trophy. IIRC I passed the previous trophies first time, but this one I've done twice with no luck. Here's hoping to third time lucky.

Seriously there is absolutely no room for error on this one, and the corners/turns on these tracks are fucking annoying. You can't slow down too much or you'll lose ground, but don't slow down enough and you'll lose ground by crashing/penalty points.

Its already default $49.99 for every PS4owner...this game if anything is doing ok digital Sales but not so good at retail.

Retail will probably put it in their black friday deals to get rid of it fast, I personally saw stacks and stacks of it, everybody was just picking up NBA2K15.

I thought it was $49.99 for PS Plus only? $59.99 for everyone else?

I swear many are playing this due to graphics hype and nothing else

NiNrgg0.gif

You couldn't change anything in PGR either.

Ah fuck it, someone light the Bish-Signal, we got a live one.

Jburton

Banned
You are honestly embarrassing yourself.
It's one thing to discuss your opinions, but this is just a bit silly and sad.

I just hope a mod comes in a cleans this shit up, having an opinion is all well and good but this poster is just sitting in here and shitting all over the place.

QaaQer

Ignoring facts doesnt make things better
Accept they ruined this IPs success, clearly youre a fanatic of it everybody here is, but some see Evo didnt get to fully evolve their vision.

guaranteed you if this would of come out
fully optimized finished in December or heck
Spring 2015 it would be a whole lot better, not getting 5/10 ratings and bad buzz based on its problems.

So dont get mad at me for wishing Evo wasnt rushed, they deserve better than freaking 5/10 and bad buzz, they worked hard as hell for years.

Evo wasn't rushed, they needed a full beta like destiny to track the network bugs down, that is all. They chose not to, and this is the result. But even if it takes 2 weeks to iron things out, it's not that big of a deal. When is the next ps4 racing game coming out?

Further, I'm of the opinion that this game might be immune to reviews and will recover from the borked launch because a) it is the only racer on PS4, b) the free version will allow people to try it and those that get hooked will buy it, kind of like f2p without the nasty stuff, and c) the core driving is rock solid, albeit not to everyone's tastes.

-Amon-

Yeah because releasing it near ForzaH release wasnt enough to see that?, dont be fool this is Sonys PGR/ForzaH type of game they wanted in their catalog.

They have nothing in common. Evo have always done their own thing without following anyone.

Can't imagine them starting now.

So what's the consensus on the day-to-night cycle?

I think it's the best idea Evo had. It's implemented really well to push the main concept of "challenge". The track becomes this ever changing obstacle, no matter how much you learn the track there's still pressure when you hit a corner without optimal lighting conditions, your looking for that recognisable object/line/point to help you round, very challenging! I think I actually drive best when it's dull, no strong contrast from the light seems to work for me even though the environment blends in a little.

I kind of hoped the actual challenges you sent people would progress in real time, so it changes depending on what time it is rather then (I assume) resetting to the start time whenever someone tries it.

Oneself

Two days ago, I was driving that pre-order RUF for the first time. Now I can't go back to anything less. This game is extremely addictive.

And the sense of speed, wow, I haven't been that impressed since the first time I played Burnout 3!

QaaQer

To be honest the best thing about this game is the actual driving, so, there's that.

haha, yeah. I had a bad TMaster wheel and swore off DC and TM; but last night I just wanted to drive so I went and bought another T80. This one works.

mekes

To be honest the best thing about this game is the actual driving, so, there's that.

Absolutely true. Its nailing what I see as the fundamentals, the driving and the tracks. I'm not even mad with the smaller car selection, I think I may even prefer that as I am getting a feel for plenty of the cars on offer, each is great in its own way.

QaaQer

Absolutely true. Its nailing what I see as the fundamentals, the driving and the tracks. I'm not even mad with the smaller car selection, I think I may even prefer that as I am getting a feel for plenty of the cars on offer, each is great in its own way.

Driving is all about repetition, and there is satisfaction at understanding a car and a track. Regular AAA games want to make players feel like badasses from minute one, this is not one of those games.

Hedrush

I've had the game, and have been enjoying it thoroughly, for nearly a week now and not once have I had my car reset onto the track via that 3 second countdown timer. The timer has popped up numerous times but I've always managed to get myself back on track in plenty of time. Which makes me wonder, what the hell is the purpose of it, apart from being annoying.

For people who have the game up and running, how do you feel about the driving? Is it loose or stiff? For those who have played PGR4, how does it feel in comparison? (That's if you remember :p)

This game hot me to fire PGR4 up because it got me itching for an arcade racer. I have no PS4 yet.

pager99

This game has got me back into gaming, hadn't played in months prior to driveclub. The lighting is just jaw dropping and really immersive lovin it so far

chualie

Seeing everyone's progress here shows how bad I am at driving games haha. Just 3 starred Cayoosh. It wasn't pretty but I'll take it.

Getting addicted to beating the scores on the friends leaderboard. Played 1hr just on Cayoosh.

I've had the game, and have been enjoying it thoroughly, for nearly a week now and not once have I had my car reset onto the track via that 3 second countdown timer. The timer has popped up numerous times but I've always managed to get myself back on track in plenty of time. Which makes me wonder, what the hell is the purpose of it, apart from being annoying.

Have you not had a crazy high speed crash/spinout?

I've had a few where I've ended up at a standstill in a grass verge, once jumping over a barrier in Norway, and if you let it reset your back on the track going 70kph.

Yep! That's me! I love that this is a straight-forward racer, easy to learn, hard to master (3 stars in everything? Holy hell), with the biggest challenge being "don't get distracted by the pretty mountains!" It's something I can play with my girlfriend on a lazy rainy day, and have a lot of fun through the beauty and simplicity. It's exactly what I wanted. I don't even care that the multiplayer isn't working.

JamboGT

For people who have the game up and running, how do you feel about the driving? Is it loose or stiff? For those who have played PGR4, how does it feel in comparison? (That's if you remember :p)

This game hot me to fire PGR4 up because it got me itching for an arcade racer. I have no PS4 yet.

I think it is quite similar, maybe slightly looser. Initially accessible but lots to learn, same as PGR. The game itself reminds me a lot of PGR but instead of mainly city racing it is in the country :)

Fonds

I can't wait for the leaderboards to be up and running smoothly.

I'm already having problems putting the controller down just competing in the GAF community thread... It just pushes me for that perfect run.

Imagine competing with the entire world.

Besides the known updates such as weather and replay mode, what do you think the first car/ track updates will be?

I can't wait for the leaderboards to be up and running smoothly.

I'm already having problems putting the controller down just competing in the GAF community thread... It just pushes me for that perfect run.

Imagine competing with the entire world.

Besides the known updates such as weather and replay mode, what do you think the first car/ track updates will be?

Hoping for some Japanese cars and city tracks. Variety is the spice of life =)

-Amon-

The driving model is an interesting mix between arcade and simulation. I've never played a driving game that drives like Driveclub.

You have quite realistic reactions to driver imput and track surface and elevation. Only thing that is really exagerated is the stopping power of the brakes. Another thing that impresses me is that every single car has it's own behavior, and that this behaviour is believable considering the type of car you're driving.

Garryk

I am absolute garbage with the hyper cars. I have every star save 2-3 up to the Pro championship. After that I've hit a wall, figuratively and literally, with the hyper car events leading up to the Legend championship. I need some tips drivegaf!!!

kyser73

Man that Aston is a big old bird to drive!

Challenges are insanely addicting.

Had my started time for the Paccahacca (?) challenge not saved :( still looks like my best tine is 3.53 BUT IT ISN'T!!!

Minor injustices aside I am loving this game so much. I really want to get into some MP raves soon so hopefully Evo keep improving dem servers!

I've never played PGR4, but in terms of loose and stiff, it's (much) stiffer than SHIFT2 and (slightly) looser than GT5, if that helps. Lack of 60fps hurts and it doesn't look that good imo, but it's nice man, very nice. Audio is very good too and that goes a long way for me. I was worried it was gonna be too stiff myself but that's not the case at all. Physics are great.

Fonds

I am absolute garbage with the hyper cars. I have every star save 2-3 up to the Pro championship. After that I've hit a wall, figuratively and literally, with the hyper car events leading up to the Legend championship. I need some tips drivegaf!!!

Really ease on the throttle when coming out of corners.
Besides that maximize the use the insane brakes that these cars have.
You can brake much later than the classes before them. Once at the apex don't blast out of the corner full throttle but use the analog sticks to ease your way out of them.

Flail

Neo Member
I was unsure if I should buy this game after all the hate but yesterday I did and I'm glad I bought it!

It really plays well... imo one of the best arcade racer out there (from a gameplay perspective)
Sure it sucks that there a problems with the online part of the game but I'm sure Evo will fix this and then we have a great and fun to play racing game!

And I can't understand all this hate about the graphics... I think they are still great!

http://a.pomf.se/slxoyl.webm

Moozo

So what's the consensus on the day-to-night cycle?

I think it's the best idea Evo had. It's implemented really well to push the main concept of "challenge". The track becomes this ever changing obstacle, no matter how much you learn the track there's still pressure when you hit a corner without optimal lighting conditions, your looking for that recognisable object/line/point to help you round, very challenging! I think I actually drive best when it's dull, no strong contrast from the light seems to work for me even though the environment blends in a little.

I kind of hoped the actual challenges you sent people would progress in real time, so it changes depending on what time it is rather then (I assume) resetting to the start time whenever someone tries it.
Some of the multiplayer events are real time (although US time zone, disappointingly).

Talking of, "an error occurred during matchmaking" happens basically all the time now.

4 hours of DC last night, only a couple of failed lobby joins, otherwise, worked brilliantly.
Got into some some fantastic races.
BAC Mono races are my JAM.

CozMick

Banned
The release of this game has been nothing but a farce. It still doesn't work as intended, the patches are screwed and the pre order content still isn't downloadable....

All this approx 11 months after it was initially meant to be launched.

But don't worry it'll be fine eventually, weather and photo mode is on its way and did I mention those puuuurdy graphics?

Also, why the fuck did I expect the game to work and buy the season pass? Urgh.

Joeki11a

Banned
This is insane. How long are you going to keep this up?

I seen it myself, people are doing this type of stuff, I dont understand why graphicS in racing games matter that much, I rather notice sense of speed, handling, braking corners etc you know what matters when you Drive.

A game can look ass but if the driving game physics feels good I will be fine with that, not sure who started this but Driving games are about Driving not gawking a lighting and all this stuff.

Thats just me though, most graphics gawkers probably like the annoying Jets flying in Forza in that one race, seen that in a stream wanted to throw my laptop out of the window.

Putty

The release of this game has been nothing but a farce. It still doesn't work as intended, the patches are screwed and the pre order content still isn't downloadable....

All this approx 11 months after it was initially meant to be launched.

But don't worry it'll be fine eventually, weather and photo mode is on its way and did I mention those puuuurdy graphics?

Also, why the fuck did I expect the game to work and buy the season pass? Urgh.

And even afterall all of that..........IN MY FUCKING VEINS! #pleasefixtheleaderboardsthough

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781

Probably the most hilarious thing I've ever read. You can not play graphics, you play games. Speaking of which, Driveclub is a fantastic one.

DrKelpo

Banned
Game works like a charm for me now. Germany. Leaderboards, races, clubs... Not one second offline since patch.

But one other thing... What is up with the legend cup at the end? That was way more easy than the other ones. Did it with the Hennessey and finished the last race of the three with 7 seconds ahead.

Top Bottom