• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Wasdie

Neo Member
I really do not like the AI. I have the most fun in this game when I'm not racing against them. Time trials have been my favorite.

The AI makes no sense, they are unpredictable, they do not care if you smash into them, they frequently bump into each other, they brake for no reason, they get speed boosts out of nowhere, and they are generally too difficult to pass even when you have a clear speed advantage on them. They prefer to just get in your way resulting in an accident over letting you overtake them cleanly where neither car is hit.

The AI need a better sense of self preservation.

Moozo

I really do not like the AI. I have the most fun in this game when I'm not racing against them. Time trials have been my favorite.

The AI makes no sense, they are unpredictable, they do not care if you smash into them, they frequently bump into each other, they brake for no reason, they get speed boosts out of nowhere, and they are generally too difficult to pass even when you have a clear speed advantage on them. They prefer to just get in your way resulting in an accident over letting you overtake them cleanly where neither car is hit.

They just need to stop braking in the middle of corners and most of these problems wouldn't really exist

Mullah88

Thanks for describing online play

I feel the AI is alright in the Hot Hatch, Performance and Sports races but as soon as you get to Super and Hyper cars, theyre obnoxious and really go out of their way to do the things you described.

NHale

So what you are basically saying is that the AI behaves exactly like drivers in touring car championships?

Wasdie

Neo Member
I feel the AI is alright in the Hot Hatch, Performance and Sports races but as soon as you get to Super and Hyper cars, theyre obnoxious and really go out of their way to do the things you described.

They do those things even in the hot hatch races early on. It's just not as obnoxious because speeds are lower.

GoaThief

AI is terrible in this game, not as bad as multiplayer though. Without doubt the worst I've experienced in a driving game for a very long time.

liger05

This.

The AI sux

I like the AI. It's been a long while that I have been challenged in a driving game.

And are you sure KERS/DRS and/or slipstreaming aren't responsible for the speed boosts?

Mullah88

I like the AI. It's been a long while that I have been challenged in a driving game.

And are you sure KERS/DRS and/or slipstreaming aren't responsible for the speed boosts?
It probably is but you know how it is. I like the AI the way it is, im a shitty driver sometimes and it's fun to see the AI match my shittiness. I love that they challenge you rather than letting you pass cleanly, they fight you for it. Think of it like this, the AI is preparing you for online play

Can't tell you how many times I've passed someone only for them to Draft me but instead of passing cleanly, they go for a pit maneuver or use you as the barrier to bounce off, in turn causing you to get a coalition penalty, spin out or get hit with corner cutting. It's horrible but there's a couple of good apples that will race apples clean race once in a blue moon

still a fun and addictive game...The challenges will changes things for the better

GodofWine

I kinda like the rough and tumble racing the AI provides. Its far better than human intelligence in any driving game ever :)

Compared to the humans, at least they wont go 130 into a 40mph corner :/

But i kinda like racing the humans as well, just gotta either be strategic or be prepared to throw the elbows

cool_dude

Banned
New DriveClub Reviews (within approximately last 24 hours):

Arcade Sushi: http://arcadesushi.com/driveclub-review-ps4/
"The single-player content is passable but unexciting."
7/10

Polygon Update: http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/7/6570539/driveclub-review-ps4-playstation-4
"It's a shell of the game it's supposed to be."
5/10

Gamefanatics: http://thegamefanatics.com/game/driveclub-review-washer-fluid-fine
"The entire time I spent playing Driveclub was time I wish I spent elsewhere."
4/10

Slant: http://www.slantmagazine.com/games/review/driveclub
"In the end, even the most tricked-out junker is still, at heart, a lemon."
2.5/5

I really like the AI in this game. Since we're racing in an arcade game, I think they behave like we expect to: agressively but without cheating. Pretty much what a 'normal' person would do in real life.

By the way yesterday I was playing using my friend's Turtle Beach with volume set to max, when some sucker rammed my car in the back when entering a corner. Goddamn it I swear I jumped from the chair, lol.

Fonds

Specific cars I hope to see:

- Saab 95ng 2.8 hirsch 4fwd edition
- volkswagen scirocco gti
- some lamborghini
- Nissan GTR

I'd really like to see classics but I cab see why they won't make the cut.

Putty

7/10

Polygon Update: http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/7/6570539/driveclub-review-ps4-playstation-4
5/10

Gamefanatics: http://thegamefanatics.com/game/driveclub-review-washer-fluid-fine
4/10

2.5/5

Post in the review thread maybe?

7/10

5/10

4/10

2.5/5

Jesus, I understand the server issues, everyone's on the same page there but I feel like the sense of thrill, speed and variety of car handling makes the core gameplay feel fantastic.

I wonder if this isn't what big racing fans are looking for, but as a moderate racing fan myself, I love not having to fool with tuning; just getting into a race and fighting for first place is really satisfying.

They need to introduce a penalty for performing a pit manoeuvre online. It's fucking ridiculous.
Yeah, I was leading significantly on the Cayoosh hill climb last night while driving my venom... and at the 3rd to last corner, some asshat in a P1 drove straight into the side of me at full speed. Ended up finishing second. Fool started bragging about his victory and how he dominated us all.

JamboGT

Jesus, I understand the server issues, everyone's on the same page there but I feel like the sense of thrill, speed and variety of car handling makes the core gameplay feel fantastic.

I wonder if this isn't what big racing fans are looking for, but as a moderate racing fan myself, I love not having to fool with tuning; just getting into a race and fighting for first place is really satisfying.

Reviewers, 9 times out of 10, are not big racing fans...

Jim

Precisely why I love the game, personally. And why I'm a big MotorStorm fan as well.

Chabbles

Post in the review thread maybe?

Done heed Cool_dude, he shits all over DC every chance he gets (think he's even been banned for it recently)

Im close to buying this, if TEW doesn't arrive tomorrow, idk if ill be able to hold out through the weekend.

Mung

Loving this game! The racing is super thrilling and satisfying.

My only big complaint(other than the servers) is the online racing, which quickly decends into a ram-a-thon. Must be a way to clean this up.

Thanks for describing online play

... theyre obnoxious and really go out of their way to do the things you described.

Seriously though, why is everyone so quick to think this is some kind of flaw?

I mean, 1) in the spirit of gaming they're enemy cars afterall; their entire raison d'être is to fuck with you, add suspense, challenge, and enhance atmosphere; and 2) this is an online-focused experience (supposedly, heh); that the AI nicely mirrors online opponents, I'd call that good, useful AI, personally.

Loudninja

Loving this game! The racing is super thrilling and satisfying.

My only big complaint(other than the servers) is the online racing, which quickly decends into a ram-a-thon. Must be a way to clean this up.
I dont think its possible.

Most racers form what I heard turn out that way.

Mullah88

Seriously though, why is everyone so quick to think this is some kind of flaw?

I mean, 1) in the spirit of gaming they're enemy cars afterall; their entire raison d'être is to fuck with you, add suspense, challenge, and enhance atmosphere; and 2) this is an online-focused experience (supposedly, heh); that the AI nicely mirrors online opponents, I'd call that good, useful AI, personally.

Who says it's a bad thing? I like the AI the way it is

Top Bottom