• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: DRM-free PS4 is a PR play – expect similar policies across both consoles.

Solal

I am pretty sure almost everyone in the industry ignored Sony's stance regarding DRM.

Pretty sure that Sony bluffed MS, maybe by working on DRM with publishers, to make them believe they were going towards DRM too...

As obviously, MS has snitches everywhere at publishers...(so does Sony)

That whole MS DRM shitload is probably due to Sony's smart play.

Does anyone think MS would have done this if they knew Sony would not?

So, I am not surprised some devs claim Sony was about to do DRM... that s what Sony wanted them to believe.

KmA

3rd party devs wont do jack shit. They love the Xbone since the blame on the measures used goes straight to MS whereas they try to do the same shit on PS4, they get put in the spotlight and every media outlet will blow them up for it.

This is very true. When Persona 4 Arena was announced to be region-locked, the outrage was directed all at Atlus and bad publicity was espoused for months. 3rd parties can't risk it.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Do people even realise how far Sony went in clarifying their used games policy, partially because they most likely anticipated that article such as this one would eventually pop up? When watching the conference, the one thing that should have caught your attention was how they went in detail about this. People should be critical and skeptical about all of this. But this skepticism we're seeing here has no basis. Sony's head of WW studios SCEI appears in a video to deliberately make fun of MS policies, Tretton spends time reiterating how it will work exactly like the Playstation 3 does now, which is what everyone wanted. Which is why the conferences was covered so widely, which is why the most credible news outlets ( Independent, BBC etc.) have reported on it so prominently.

There is nothing going on 'behind the scenes' that would change any of this. This would destroy Sony. Sony never had an incentive to block used games. Blocking used games would have presented them with more problems than would have been worth. This was a decision they'd made a long time ago and yesterday was a chance for them to exploit it by acting as though it was a direct response to MS policies.

edge: who ya gonna believe? us, or your own lying eyes?...

8bit

Knows the Score
Ehh, I think I'll just pre-order a Hula Hoop and be done with gaming. Those don't need to phone home every day, do they?

This reminds me of when there's an election and the media pretends it'll be really close, but it ends up being a total blowout. Edge and all these other sites need to act like Sony's being vague or lying or whatever because having a million "PS4 is amazing" articles would be boring.

It's like when Sony people made their views on online completely clear but people acted like they were using confusing PR speak.

There will definitely be games that require an online connection. Those games exist on the PS3 now too. How will you play Warframe or Destiny without being online??

I'm pretty sure that Kyon is saying that season passes for single player games won't exist. And that's completely correct. A permanent connection because they've created some MMO-type game? Sure, and Sony even welcomes that as you see with Destiny.

Steroyd

Of course the DRM was a PR play, given the frenzy about MS's policies when they announced it, it'd be madness not to exploit it.

Sony won't use DRM in their first party titles, and I'm seriously doubting that 3rd party developers are gonna risk using DRM. They see the reaction to it is very massive. I doubt they wanna risk loses in revenues.

Technically the people publishers are most interested in are those with an internet connection because they are the ones who will ultimately buy DLC/ Map Packs etc, for the steadier revenue stream.

Whether it's worth cutting out the offline crew entirely though...

Sony first party games available on a disc won't have DRM.
Will be interesting to see how many first party games are only available digitally

Good grief Sony have said that all the retail games will be available digitally, the only thing left is for Sony to make digital titles more tempting to purchase than physical disc is by making them cheaper, which is the more progressive way of things instead of ham fisting physical copies into the digital model.

The only way MS and Sony would have similar policies is if Sony did a barefaced lie, what they've said from when they announced it at the Sony press conference and the interviews afterwards, gives them no political maneuvering.

Replicant

Would love to know who their "source" is. It comes across like some really bitter Microsoft first party dev or something reading that first post.

I second this. Otherwise we can also say that our sources says that EDGE is getting paid by MS.

THRILLH0

Banned
People saying ”its just like the PS3" are technically correct but missing the point.

Multiplatform publishers are NOT going to release a locked down version of their game on the Xbox and an open version on the PS4.

Microsoft's policy is going to influence what publishers do on the PS4.

The fact that these so called 'journalists' still want to beat this dead horse just enforces the fact they are super salty over xboxone and want to sour it for the PlayStation user base somehow.

I mean fuck, 'IT WILL BE JUST LIKE PS3' What don't these imbeciles understand about that?????

Am I missing something? Am I retarded??

lol Who's salty now?

Nikodemos

I'm as thrilled as anyone that Sony has made these decisions, but that they did it out of love and respect for us, the players, is ridiculous.
And why exactly should I care about the reasons which made Sony diverge from MS's stance?

I applaud Sony for doing it, not for why they're doing it. And as long as they stay the course, I'll continue applauding them, irrespective of the reasons.

Huddy

A sony rep from an interview that gianbomb did said that they are not allowing online passes. http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/sony-s-scott-rohde-answers-your-burning-ps4-questi/1600-504/

This was for their own 1st party titles.

I have no doubt that some publishers will continue to use some form of online pass, in fact I can see more games this generation requiring internet connection as the different modes of gameplay we know today merge. It will most likely continue to work as it does today on the PS3, just expect more titles to have a form of online pass / subscription model attached to their game with an option to purchase separately to continue to allow trade ins.

Kyon

Banned
I'm pretty sure that Kyon is saying that season passes for single player games won't exist. And that's completely correct. A permanent connection because they've created some MMO-type game? Sure, and Sony even welcomes that as you see with Destiny.

yeah I should've went more into detail. Thanks :)

dosh

This, for the most part, is a pretty sensible dissection of the situation.

I agree. And I suppose most people on GAF tend to agree too. Tretton's speech was a relief for a lot of people, but every time they've talked about "doing the right thing for the gamers" since yesterday, you know they're riding that PR wave.

As Y2Kev said:

I am kind of unhappy I don't know who to believe anymore because every company in my hobby is a sack of shit.

All I can say is that Sony was and continues to be unambiguous on this and any backtracking will result in an unprecedented blowback.

I am pretty sure almost everyone in the industry ignored Sony's stance regarding DRM.

Pretty sure that Sony bluffed MS, maybe by working on DRM with publishers, to make them believe they were going towards DRM too...

As obviously, MS has snitches everywhere at publishers...(so does Sony)

That whole MS DRM shitload is probably due to Sony's smart play.

Does anyone think MS would have done this if they knew Sony would not?

So, I am not surprised some devs claim Sony was about to do DRM... that s what Sony wanted them to believe.

If this is true, then it's an excellent political manoeuvre. I salute Sony for it.

Corsick

I am kind of unhappy I don't know who to believe anymore because every company in my hobby is a sack of shit.

All I can say is that Sony was and continues to be unambiguous on this and any backtracking will result in an unprecedented blowback.

Edit: off topic, but edge was not really right on the 8gb of ram. They claimed Sony was telling developers it was aiming to hit 8 gb. Sony later revealed nobody knew at all, even first party. I think it was honestly a lucky coincidence.

Agreed, like I said earlier, they would get horribly crushed by the public. If we're all to say things like "Wow! Sony really read the situation well and played their cards perfectly at E3!" Then have Sony, with that clever power play they just made, throw it all in the trash then dump a vat of burning oil on themselves by doing a 180 then I think it would defy all logic. You go from reading your audience perfectly and catering to them to evaporating all equity and trust before the console even launches? What makes more sense, that scenario given the public comments by every Sony official, or the possibility that something might be awry with how Edge framed/worded this article OR perhaps their sources?

As a note, I'm not saying this means Edge is crooked, but I think regardless of what they say, the most likely thing is that this is either untrue or a grossly exaggerated article preying on some ignorance still leftover from the conference. It would actually be better for Sony to just come out with the truth then guarantee they are never trusted again.

That'd be an extremely dumb thing to do; the backlash if you were to lie and then backpedal would be much greater than MS' way of coming out with it from the beginning.

This is what I was thinking from the get go when all the XBO news came about.

You really think, at some point, Sony wouldn't follow suit with the PS4? MS is doing all this with publishers on their console and you don't think publishers would want the same criteria on Sony's new console? Sony could tell you exactly what you want to hear but if the publishers want it, they're going to tell them no and risk losing money?

I'm not trying to sound like a pro-MS, anti-Sony person but this is a business. It's going to happen. Sony is telling you what you want to hear now to get you firmly behind them but, down the line, I wouldn't be surprised if they changed their tune.

People saying ”its just like the PS3" are technically correct but missing the point.

Multiplatform publishers are NOT going to release a locked down version of their game on the Xbox and an open version on the PS4.

Why couldn't it be the other way around? Publishers surely wouldn't want any part of this PR disaster MS have gotten themselves into.

I agree, but no one wants to hear this. Everyone is so relieved that Sony is not taking the same despicable route as MS that they're being seen as a hero to the customer; crusaders for the rights of the consumer. I'm as thrilled as anyone that Sony has made these decisions, but that they did it out of love and respect for us, the players, is ridiculous.

They saw this route as the best way to return the Playstation brand to its former PS2 level domination which will be incredibly lucrative for Sony. I had been saying for months since the DRM story broke that Sony would be smart to take this approach and they did and I feel they will reap the benefits for it.

They cannot do:
-check every 24h
-block access to used games

So, what will they do?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The DRM stuff that MS are putting in Xbone at system level is to serve THEIR purposes, noone elses.

If they were so beholden to the publishers interests, all they need do is enact a simple policy change allowing them to implement their own run-time DRM validation. The degree to which they have embedded it in their infrastructure is for their cloud/service ambitions, not to stop used games.

As Sim City showed, publishers can easily manufacture a pretext for always-online validation if they see fit.

Sony is running the PR game. Their first party will be make up maybe 5% of the library. The rest will be 3rd party which will certainly implement their flavor of DRM.

To think otherwise is amazingly naive.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm pretty sure they will allow online passes for third party games but only scrub moron studios like ea, tecmo, and other garbage studios like idea factory will use them since it locks used gamers out if lucrative dlc purchases.

Did no one else see that the most successful console publishing brand (activision publishing, not even blizzard) had no online pass?

spwolf

makes you wonder how much they get paid to continuously misguide the public at large... it started yesterday with Sony responding right away, but it seems to continue.

There is nothing unknown about Sony policy anymore.. it was clarified at 3-4 different times in last 2 days through conference, official PR clarification, Terron and that other guy on GB.

With MS, pretty much almost nothing is clarified except that you cant sell it on your own or share it with your friends and they refuse to talk about it or give any kind of interviews on E3.

Shayan

Banned

that could happen only if XONE is successful which is highly unlikely. Even without any restrictions xone had no future against PS4 outside US

The "lock" is on xone's end and many publishers dont like the idea . If the publishers want to sell their games and make money they would have to release a PS4 version and comply with SONY's policy

Sony is running the PR game. Their first party will be make up maybe 5% of the library. The rest will be 3rd party which will certainly implement their flavor of DRM.

Well, almost all 3rd party publishers spoke against DRM . Where do you get your info from?

Withnail

EDGE is a good mag, probably the best games journalism around, they're not biased.

But there's some FUD coming from somewhere.

It's pretty clear this is how things break down:

- Xbox with perhaps perhaps EA+Ubi worked to develop an always online console
- The goal was to end used games, leverage Xbox Live as the killer feature to make it work
- Sony was less advanced in their DRM plans, or never had them
- Sony never planned to go all-online
- Sony saw the opportunity to shank Microsoft in public and went for it
- Third parties are now freaking the fuck out and probably lying about their respect for the used game market, since it directly contradicts YEARS of comments from all of them
- Publishers are still desperate to stop used sales and consider it a priority
- They will do whatever they can to stymie used sales but Sony have just screwed the pooch

I don't believe Sony are the good guys here. They just saw one avenue of profit - public narrative of consumer friendliness - as worth more than fucking over users again. This is the Sony that installed a rootkit on CDs. I think they just punked Microsoft old-school, but we all know what's coming. This generation will be messy.

MS decided, as many times before in their history, and don't get me wrong I work with their products, to try to bend the market brute-force.

Sony has decided once more to hurt themselves (no DRM) in order to profit in the end (larger install base, more overall sales).

And rootkits have nothing to do with company policy imo. If anything it's just bad practice and a sign of inexperienced or bad programmers.

THRILLH0

Banned
Why couldn't it be the other way around? Publishers surely wouldn't want any part of this PR disaster MS have gotten themselves into.

Because Microsoft isn't giving them a choice.

Publishers aren't going to shun the Xbox just because their DRM policy isn't a hit with a vocal minority.

2real4tv

Just like ps3? Not seeing the difference. I am happy they are at least taking the middle ground and not locking down the whole system...let the market decide instead of it being forced.

Alej

Banned
Sony is a publisher. We made them to forget about DRM.
In fact, we can win about that on a more global scale.
Thing is, an industry that has to restrict consumers to protect their profits is certainly in really bad shape. Whereas, they should just make bigger and longer games (with online components, DLC that are not on disc, interactive events... what you see maybe on successful MMOs).

These articles are going to continue to crop up. Sony can only say "we will not enforce DRM," or "it will be like the ps3 is now" so many times.

spwolf

I'm pretty sure they will allow online passes for third party games but only scrub moron studios like ea, tecmo, and other garbage studios like idea factory will use them since it locks used gamers out if lucrative dlc purchases.

Did no one else see that the most successful console publishing brand (activision publishing, not even blizzard) had no online pass?

plus, they probably sold like arse or Sony and others wouldnt be dropping them.

I suspect not many , if any, will be implementing those. Sony guy in GB said that it doesnt seem likely that 3rd party will impose any additional policies of their own since it doesnt make sense.

pargonta

so the first step is denial i guess? i mean they flat out laid out the plans in the press conference and interviews.. odd.

The only DRM publishers can implement is with restricting online gamplay with used games.
It's the exact same system that currently exists.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Sure they will. They've no choice on Xbox. For an extreme example, look at something like Witcher 3. You think CD Project Red are going to layer on DRM on the PS4 version to match the Xbox version? No they won't. And they can't per Sony policy, at least as far as single player and offline content goes.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
They have no source. They wrote the article in response to their anti SONY stance. Remember the 7s they gave to many PS3 exclusives when even Halo 3 got a 10 from them?

Are you kidding?! Since when? A 7/10 in EDGE actually means 7/10 unlike... well, unlike just about every other publication that uses a ten point scale. You do recall that they gave The Last of Us one of their coveted 10/10s, right?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blindly believing the article, but give one of the more esteemed publications in this corrupt hell-hole we call 'gaming' a little credit.

This is what I was thinking from the get go when all the XBO news came about.

You really think, at some point, Sony wouldn't follow suit with the PS4? MS is doing all this with publishers on their console and you don't think publishers would want the same criteria on Sony's new console? Sony could tell you exactly what you want to hear but if the publishers want it, they're going to tell them no and risk losing money?

I'm not trying to sound like a pro-MS, anti-Sony person but this is a business. It's going to happen. Sony is telling you what you want to hear now to get you firmly behind them but, down the line, I wouldn't be surprised if they changed their tune.
When the PS4 is flying off the shelves this generation while the Xbox One wallows in a distant second, I don't think the publishers ,who will want to get their exceedingly expensive games to largest number of gamers possible will be in a position to tell Sony what they want them to do.

That article is insane. I mean not only is there no proof but it doesn't even explain how it would magically become similar.

This is one of the grossest clickbait articles i've ever seen. It's so bad that it almost makes me like Polygon.

They can't influence them because they aren't allowed to lock their games on the PS4. This has been made clear in multiple interviews.

There's been some clarification over your exact policy from Jack today. We understand that third party publishers can still opt to implement some kind of online restriction on pre-owned games?

What he talked about is with the offline portion there's no difference from PS3 in that every game is playable on PS4. In terms of just getting access of multiplayer online, it's now taken care of at a platform level by PS Plus. So our first party titles had the online pass on PS3 and Vita. That we are not doing on PS4 because of that platform level. It's the same for third parties; when it comes to just giving you access to online multiplayer, it's PS Plus going forward.

There are lots of different reasons. One is that publishers are providing the network services. The simplest example is an MMO; you have a huge community and your constantly adding content... It's an online service. It doesn't make sense that a disc gives you access to all of the online service forever, right?

Another example is games that have content DLC included in a season pass. Outside of just giving access to multiplayer, it's at publishers' discretion to come up with a new business model and offer to consumers.

But that's limited to just the online aspect?

Yes.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/413102/interviews/the-ps4-interview-shuhei-yoshida/

They're completely limited into only being able to control what happens with the online side of their game in certain instances. But the offline portion can't be touched in terms of putting it behind a paywall or blocking renting, borrowing etc.

Top Bottom