• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance"

Biker19

Banned
Unless MS ditch the Kinect requirement, there is no possible way they drop the price to even match Sony, let alone under cut them.

They'll be taking a huge loss off of each console sold if they do that, & Microsoft's shareholders will be very upset about it, as they want MS to make a profit off of each Xbox One console sold from the get-go.

The only way they can compete with the PS4 in price is if they come out with a Kinectless model, but it may wind up being costly to Microsoft as well.

I disagree with both statements.

But motion controls are dead within consoles. The Wii-mote & PS Move are both dead, the Wii U Gamepad isn't picking up any steam, & Kinect's popularity has waned.

I don't see how another version of Kinect is going to get a lot of people to shell out $500 w/tax for it, especially when most of them have already had Kinect for Xbox 360. Most casuals are gonna say, "Been there, done that," & just move onto other things.

Funniest thing I've heard all day.

Wait, you're serious? Oh dear, someone needs to buy you glasses before teaching you a lesson in technology. (hint: Shadow Fall and Second Son both destroy Forza, with its baked lighting, static backgrounds and faked reflections.)

No are you serious? You can't compare the games. It's so funny how some think Xbox One can't process
1080p games but Forza 5 proves otherwise. hey Im getting both systems and I want to see them both thrive.
Is it me or is 90% of neogaf against Mircosoft??
Read digital foundry's article on Forza 5
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-xbox-one

spwolf

Interesting about the X2 cable box we JUST got X1 in our area a few weeks ago and I was quick to jump on that. Right now X1 is simply a better more modern menu with a few apps but not much else. I agree the voice functions will probably be everywhere at some time but it is also worthwhile in my specific scenario because it is only a few months away and my son is a year or two away from being able to competently use a remote control by himself so the timing is pretty perfect for me but this situation is probably going to be niche at best. Also besides the remote he will enjoy kinect games until he is able to properly use a controller. My HDTV situation is pretty set until 4k or 8K res HDTV's hits a mainstream point as I don't see any reason to upgrade. I have an LG 3D smart TV that has waggle but no voice commands which should be good enough for a few more years.

It's temporary situation that benefits him but it was still something to consider and helped make my launch day decision on which console to get. Right now a PS4 would only be useful to me while the Xbox one will provide extra value for my whole family because of the additional features which would cost more than 100$ if I tried to duplicate them outside of the Xbox One. Just for fun I'm going to see how it works to control the PS4 through the kinect IR blaster when I get a PS4 several months after launch.

I realize my case for the kinect related features are going to be niche and even time dependent on the growth of my son but it was still a real deciding factor and the timing of the added features were perfect for where my son's competence level is with the living room electronics. He can wiz around a touch screen and even type in simple words in you tube for himself to watch but navigating the remote to watch TV or netflix on the big tv is out of his range right now. He still tries to touch the big tv to navigate cause he thinks everything is a touch screen.

so what kinect games is your son going to play on XB1? Tablet seems like a much better introduction to the games, as it is most intuitive and there is large selection. I am not sure that your son will be able to play any kinect game properly at that age. Controllers are also a problem until the age of 4.

Same goes for navigating TV with voice commands... i wonder how well that will work with a kid.

Now that my sons are 5 and 7, they can handle pretty much everything on their own these days.

Main problem is with kids very young is that there are not many games for consoles built for them. Tablets have millions. We played a lot of R&C when my younger was 4yrs old and thats only "real" game that we could co-op... Eyetoy mini-games were ... mini-games, not more fun than what he plays on tablet already.

I don't think there will be anything like the graphical difference between the PS2 version of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and the Xbox version and yet tons of people bought the inferior PS2 version. Both console versions should be near identical at a glance. I don't think power or price are necessarily the biggest factors to what people will choose, but brand perception and the online ecosystem. Not everybody is into rebuilding their friends list, Xbox Live is where their friends are and the Xbox built it's name on online play. For a lot people it's fair to assume Xbox is the place to be for console online and with dedicated servers and Sony now charging for PS4 online play, it doesn't exactly seem tantalizing to jump ship and pay for an in comparison, unproven network.

Combined with the fact that Microsoft has some surefire system sellers like Halo, Titanfall and Kinect garbage as well as the strength and history of Xbox Live, a slight probably non noticeable power difference (in the eyes of the masses) and a price different are going to be the least of their worries. The PS4's power and price advantage may not mean much if it doesn't have the games that resonate with the masses. Personally I'll get both at some point and it will be interesting to see the differences between multiplats and operating systems/online networks first hand because right now all i have are my perceptions and speculations.

OryoN

They could still drop the requirement later in the life cycle if they have to. But in theory they could mandate it. The 7850 is definitely capable of handling 1080p. Xbone gpu is probably not.

If they want to piss off the majority of the dev community, then sure. All next-gen consoles(that includes Wii U!) can handle 1080p perfectly fine. They each have 1080p games. It's all about how demanding the developers' games are. That's why the idea of such a mandate wouldn't sit well with devs. Even Sony's own studios are already targeting some sub 1080p games.

You're probably thinking; "As they get more familiar with the console, that target resolution will he easier to hit." That's only partly true. On the other hand, the more devs understand about the hardware, the harder they want to work them. That's why we still see a ton of sub-720p games on current-gen - even though devs have 7+ yrs of familiarity with the hardware - and they can handle 720p just fine.

They'll always want to push the GPU to its limits with more effects, on-screen detail, advancements in lighting/shading, etc. That usually comes with a trade-off of either framerate or resolution. For an acceptable framerate - whether targeting 30 or 60 - having the option to drop a 'few' pixels is a necessity, and at the very least, a peace of mind.

A 720p mandate...now that's more reasonable!

jhendrix

Banned
so what kinect games is your son going to play on XB1? Tablet seems like a much better introduction to the games, as it is most intuitive and there is large selection. I am not sure that your son will be able to play any kinect game properly at that age. Controllers are also a problem until the age of 4.

Same goes for navigating TV with voice commands... i wonder how well that will work with a kid.

Now that my sons are 5 and 7, they can handle pretty much everything on their own these days.

Main problem is with kids very young is that there are not many games for consoles built for them. Tablets have millions. We played a lot of R&C when my younger was 4yrs old and thats only "real" game that we could co-op... Eyetoy mini-games were ... mini-games, not more fun than what he plays on tablet already.

He already has a galaxy tab that he uses fairly well and our main computer is an AIO with a touchscreen that he uses alot. He still though wants to watch stuff on the big TV and he can navigate netflix and youtube on his tablet but he can't navigate netflix or change channels on our big tv.

He's 3 so when I try and reason with him to just watch netflix on his tablet doesn't work the same when he wants to watch stuff on the big tv. It will be a big deal to him to be able to pick and choose what channel he wants to watch or what program on netflix to watch on the big tv cause he can do that with touch on his tablet or our AIO but not the big tv now.

The voice commands will work well with him with Cable and netflix integration. He will be able to get the idea that he can say "Xbox nick JR" to switch the channel or "Xbox netflix sponge bob"

As far as kinect games their is nothing really announced now but hopefully their will be some similar type games like the Disney world game or even zoo tycoon also hoping some indie type stuff might be aimed at kids that uses kinect. It's got potential and is what sold me for a day one purchase.

Like I said a PS4 right now would only serve my needs while an Xbox One with additional features can be useful for my whole family. How well it works in real life is yet to be seen but at least that potential is there.

And make no mistake I'm not trying to say millions of people are in my exact shoes and will buy it in droves because of it but just trying to give a real world scenario of why at least for me kinect and TV integration and a voice activated remote control was a deciding factor to buy it at launch.

It will be mandated that all 1st party titles be 1080p. I guarantee it

And they will drop it like how ms did with the xbox360. Really, it is inevitable. Also since Deep Down is now a ps exclusive i hope it will run at 1080p (or close at least) by launch, but for now it's 720p.

iOkfYZoLz2ATi.gif

Neo... GAF

And they will drop it like how ms did with the xbox360. Really, it is inevitable. Also since Deep Down is now a ps exclusive i hope it will run at 1080p (or close at least) by launch, but for now it's 720p.

Nope all of Sony first party games will stay 1080p just like all of Sony first party games on PS3 are 720p .
It's one thing i am sure you can bet on .

Tsundere

Banned
Exactly and I think I said this to someone else, if the games you interested in aren't on the more powerful console then it don't matter if its more powerful.

That is very true. So outside of first-party exclusives (and the handful of third party exclusives), both platforms will have releases of multi-platform games from third parties. If you're a big fan of these games, then you've got to make the choice between having the better version, or having the lesser one. Of course other factors come into play, such as friends, etc.

It's really a bunch of factors that people need to take into consideration when choosing a platform, but power and price are two good factors to consider; especially when the cheaper option is providing the best performance for games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
awwww nib i have seen you troll a plethora of xbox articles...is it cause you want one or cause u just want to shit on it?
btw xbox is more powefull cpu wise.
XBO has a possible (PS4 CPU is still unconfirmed) 9% CPU advantage in an age where more and more CPU processes are being offloaded onto the GPU. PS4 has a greater than 40% GPU advantage and a better RAM set up.

I also don't know why people keep stating XBO has better games as a fact. Totally subjective and goes both ways. I'd be fine if people just said they preferred the XBO lineup but there are hundreds of posts acting like MS' lineup is objectively better.

beast786

sorry bra knack isnt cutting it for me.. throw me ff and we can talk.

I am getting the CPU power house.

I am getting Ryse for my little son, he is 1 year old and learned his first alphabet "A". should be qualified enough to finish the game. can't get any more kid friendly game.

nib95

Banned
Some actually like the xbox one line up. Nothing wrong with that

What does that have to do with the response you're quoting :S Both consoles have games. His post seems to imply that the Xbox One has games whilst the PS4 only has rumours lol....

I am getting the CPU power house.

I am getting Ryse for my little son, he is 1 year old and learned his first alphabet "A". should be qualified enough to finish the game. can't get any more kid friendly game.

im buying it for my 2 yr old nephew as well! we think alike!

Hoje0308

Banned
No are you serious? You can't compare the games. It's so funny how some think Xbox One can't process
1080p games but Forza 5 proves otherwise. hey Im getting both systems and I want to see them both thrive.
Is it me or is 90% of neogaf against Mircosoft??
Read digital foundry's article on Forza 5
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-xbox-one

I wasn't the one that initially compared Infamous and Forza, I simply responded to someone that had. To my knowledge, no one is saying that X1 can't do 1080p, as that is possible on a range of systems, provided the amount of effects and geometry (among other things) allow for it. This brings us to Forza 5. It uses baked lighting, screen-space reflections and static backgrounds to obtain its resolution and frame rate. I'm not saying that it doesn't look good, but - besides the bump in resolution- it isn't really doing anything that Forza 3 didn't already do. By contrast, there are plenty of PS4 titles making use of effects that either couldn't be used, or couldn't be used in conjunction with others during the previous generation.

Top Bottom