• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Sony’s VR tech will be revealed at GDC

DieH@rd

Banned
If anyone from Sony/Oculus is reading this thread, send this to R&D divisions! :D

The way to make your OculusRift-based design completely compatible with 2D content from any HDMI+USB-equipped source [2D games from PS4/PS3, movies, computer desktop, mobile phones]:
- Take small Android SoC and place it into control box (oculus rift has one) or directly into headset [power will come from USB connection that your headset will have by default].
- Put a button on a headset that will activate/deactivate this Android SoC that has only one function activated by default [many more could be added of course, but lets stick to basics]. Possibly another button for calibration.
- Android SoC takes HDMI input, quickly ads that stream to 2D plane, and places this 2D plane in front of user to be fixed in space like he is in cinema [just blackness around the screen]. If USB tracking data is not available, then it doesn't need to be fixed in space [like with HMZ-T1].
- Positional tracking data can be sent from PC/PS4 who have PS4 camera equipped, basic orientation data can come from headset itself.
- Optionally, if headset has its own cameras that are looking around user, push of the third button can replace blackness around the virtual screen with the view of the user's surroundings. This will move user from "isolated geek" state to the "member of society". :D

Instant compatibility with ALL 2D HDMI content [99.9% of content that is experienced today by gamers, PC users and home movie watchers].

This could be moved to PS4 headset#2 down the line, giving it a strong marketing push with this great new feature. OculusVR could also use this, possibly giving us superior experience because they can go wild with display resolutions.

I like to see Sony try.

But a VR headset is really hard to market and garner support for.

Still, I am excite.
It is easy get VR support, but VR has been hard to implement.
I hope Sony DOESN'T make the PS4 VR device compatible with personal computers. That would be absolutely asinine and ridiculous.

Sony's focus needs to be on making the PlayStation 4 experience as revolutionary as possible. And the PS4 virtual reality device is their ticket in doing so. Once people get to experience it, they'll have no choice but want to support it.

Remember what it was like experiencing Mario 64 for the first time at a demo kiosk in August 1996? Well, the PS4 VR device is going to give you that same "revolutionary" feeling, but even more so.
It would be cretinous or at least almost be if they do not release it on PC. It is going to be hard for a failing company to get support for their VR when it is locked to only one platform that is mainly used for gaming purposes only, the PS4. PCs are used for far more than gaming, but are also the best at doing so. Showcasing VR on PC and PS4 is ideal and having support for both is ideal as well. Oculus already has support from major engines and companies while we know practically nothing about Sony's VR. This is also what will make the reveal interesting to see what kind of support they can get.

riflen

MS never earned much from Kinect, but they are not giving it up. Sony's move into VR will be similar, hardware sold at minimal profit, earning little from both 1st and 3rd party software. What they REALLY want however is for Kinect/VR to attract BRAND NEW NON-GAMING customers, or customers who would have bought their gaming hardware years down the line when it is cheaper. This move will be pure gamble on "expanding the user base", which will if its successful also attract healthy dose of developers who will start making software for it. Sony is much more open to Indies, so there is a good chance that their VR solution will have good support.

Also, while Kinect was possible to be used only in some gaming experiences, VR headset is can be used for all games. VR games in fullscreen, and 2D games in virtual cinema mode. Sony can also promote that this way users don't need to take TV for themselves, similar like with Remote Play. This would work perfectly if their headset has cameras on it. This way, user can SEE THEIR LIVING ROOM, but instead of their standard TV [that is used by other members of the family] they can see BIGASS VIRTUAL SCREEN. Communication with other house members can then remain strong, you can continue seeing and talking with people around you.

If I understand you correctly, you posit that Sony's reason for making their HMD PC compatible would be to grow a developer base which in turn would hopefully grow a customer base.

A customer base for what system? Windows-based PCs! If it's successful, you'll have a lot of PC owners enjoying their new Sony HMD, for which Sony have received hardly any profit at considerable cost. How would Sony convert these customers to the immensely more profitable PS4 customers they really would prefer?

Sorry, this is not a persuasive argument to me. The whole idea does not make business sense.

DieH@rd

Banned
If I understand you correctly, you posit that Sony's reason for making their HMD PC compatible would be to grow a developer base which in turn would hopefully grow a customer base.

A customer base for what system? Windows-based PCs! If it's successful, you'll have a lot of PC owners enjoying their new Sony HMD, for which Sony have received hardly any profit at considerable cost. How would Sony convert these customers to the immensely more profitable PS4 customers they really would prefer?

Sorry, this is not a persuasive argument to me. The whole idea does not make business sense.

Well, they can always make this tech limmited only for PS4. Would that make business sense to you?

You realize that there is profit for VR beyond games right? One thing Oculus Rift has going for it is it can be used in the medical field, architecture, and so on.. Its actually "asinine" to have the device stuck to a limited closed device.
Sony would be interested in highly expensive, high margin med tech for surgeries. Don't think their sub $300 VR set will be designed with that in mind.

I want first person Journey.

It's the perfect VR title, and we know it's being ported.

Come on Sony.
I'm not sure that it is without some extensive redesign. In terms of visuals and the flow of movement it would be spectacular in VR, and the sense of scale of the dunes and ruins etc. But when you consider the mechanics of the fabric elements (for instance the length of your scarf determines how long you can float), and the amount of atmosphere that is achieved with fabric movement of your character's clothing (different weather conditions), the animation of the character generating an emotional response when you can see the struggle... all this would be lost in first person. It's not so much a VR problem but a first person problem. Journey is not a first person game. You can turn it into one, but it would be a very different game.

StuBurns

Banned
It would be cretinous or at least almost be if they do not release it on PC. It is going to be hard for a failing company to get support for their VR when it is locked to only one platform that is mainly used for gaming purposes only, the PS4. PCs are used for far more than gaming, but are also the best at doing so. Showcasing VR on PC and PS4 is ideal and having support for both is ideal as well. Oculus already has support from major engines and companies while we know practically nothing about Sony's VR. This is also what will make the reveal interesting to see what kind of support they can get.
Sony putting VR on PC wouldn't cause a third party to make a major VR game PS4&PC, as for adding support to viable titles, Sony will get it anyway, they're going to be the major publishers bread and butter for the next eight years, they can get VR support added.
But when you consider the mechanics of the fabric elements (for instance the length of your scarf determines how long you can float), and the amount of atmosphere that is achieved with fabric movement of your character's clothing (different weather conditions), the animation of the character generating an emotional response when you can see the struggle... all this would be lost in first person. It's not so much a VR problem but a first person problem. Journey is not a first person game. You can turn it into one, but it would be a very different game.
Ideally, you will still be encountering other people, so you'd get a lot of that, and obviously at the end of the each level there's NPCs you can see, the flying time based on scarf length is a fair point. Ultimately, it would be a different game, but I think it would take a fairly small amount of effort to make it into the best VR game so far, by far.

androvsky

It's the same way consoles somehow manage to compete with PCs now with normal games. Ease of use, exclusive content, stable and relatively inexpensive platforms, and marketing.

So what are the chances that Driveclub will be the flagship VR title?

well, the rumor said it's one of the first games they have working on VR. they supposedly already have playable VR build of DriveClub. I'm sure we'll have some tech demo as well, wouldn't be surprised if Playroom got VR DLC

edit: now that I think more about this, I don't think DriveClub will be VR flagship title. it will certainly be one of the game supporting VR, but I'm convinced the flagship title will be some game that are exclusive to VR, as in designed from the ground up for VR, will fully use PSMove as input for maximum immersion. probably something from MediaMolecule, Until Dawn, or something from Playroom team.

StuBurns

Banned
Until Dawn is the obvious one.

It's Move so it was designed with uncoupled view and interaction reticule, it was a PS3 game so it wasn't demanding, and it's at night and spooky, which is a great fit.

I'm interested to see how it'll look and work. I'm also excited to see some more Occulus stuff soon.
I think it's a really cool piece of tech but I'm kind of afraid it's gonna become a "fad" sort of thing.

inb4 this becomes Sony's Virtual Boy.

diaspora

I was less than impressed with their TV-headset thing they already have now so I'm not sure how excited I ought to be for this.

It'll be up to first party to show the world how VR is done. The first real mainstream push at VR is among us folks. Bring on the Drive Club :).

Fuck off with that shit.

Everyone says it's the future, but it's just like Kinect. It can only embellish our 3D experience. It can't rewrite our concept of 3D design.

IvorB

Well rumour has it that they were going to announce this months ago but put it off. Mysteriously at the same time Driveclub is delayed. We are later told that Driveclub "went back to the drawing board". Now VR from Sony is back on the menu just as the revamped Driveclub should be surfacing and we are "driving" innovation at Sony.

StuBurns

Banned
It can only embellish our 3D experience. It can't rewrite our concept of 3D design.
Not really. Since the establishment of 3D game design, there has been a very notable limitation, two primary inputs, left hand for character movement, right hand view/reticule control. VR provides a third input, decoupling view from the reticule, which is important in of itself, but most importantly, it does it while actually making interaction more intuitive.

Even without the sense of immersion, possible experience of presence, and physical isolation from your real environment, VR offers a huge advance in simulation interaction.

Corto

Fuck off with that shit.

Everyone says it's the future, but it's just like Kinect. It can only embellish our 3D experience. It can't rewrite our concept of 3D design.

It's a completely new 3d paradigm of virtual presence. It will absolutely rewrite our concept of 3d design.

belmonkey

It's already probably been discussed, but might more games start coming with a requirement of 60 FPS, or could separate versions be made for VR instead (if it's not too pricey)? Also, what does it take (FPS and whatnot) to not get sick / nauseous from VR?

Into

Good point. To tell you honestly, I don't think Sony will announce a price at GDC. Might save it for E3. I'm guessing at GDC it'll be more of a reveal and what they plan to do with it in the future.

That's what I keep on saying here in GAF. In the long run, the Oculus will become the better VR solution, but in no way will it become mainstream. A computer able to handle VR and the Oculus unit itself will be out of reach for the mainstream. Minimum, you'd have to spend 1300 dollars or more for both things.

Sony has an opportunity here to take the mainstream market. Price it right and if rumors are true and what they have is actually a little bit better than the Crystal Cove Unit, then I think Sony will be fine in that regard.

Agree, so much focus is on the tech, where the idea is that, the better the tech = higher chance of success, when that is clearly not the case.

If one VR is bleeding edge, best components, and it ends up costing 500+ dollars then you can kiss your VR dreams goodbye, it will appeal only to a fraction of people

PS Move is better than the Wiimote, obviously because of improvements in tech over the years, but had nowhere near the same punch or success, simply because people already saw it by the time it came out. The novelty of swinging a sword wore out, quickly.

If they are smart they have set a price and told their engineers and designers: This is what you got to work with. And hopefully for their sakes, the device is good enough for the average consumer. Oculus Rift can be the bleeding edge, expensive device that ships in a nice golden box with John Carmack's autograph written in solid gold.

We have seen tech look promising and a sure fire success, for only to wither out a few years later and be left behind, due to weak tech, high price and all sorts of issues. I want VR more than anything, as i truly believe its the next big step. If Sony designs a VR for 150 dollars price tag and it sucks, then that is a problem, but if Rift is 500+ dollars and good, then that is still a problem.

Some balance is needed for this to take off

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I want first person Journey.

It's the perfect VR title, and we know it's being ported.

Come on Sony.

It would be a good candidate for a VR title without going first person. It has a 360° camera system so you don't need to build portions of the world that weren't supposed to be there in the non-VR version (like, say, God of War). They would still need to tweak it quite a bit tho to remove/rethink the cutscenes, disable camera collision with geometry and stuff.

maybe the reason they make the camera proprietary is because they're planning to let the VR headset open for PC. the headset will be usable for PC for people to play around, but the thing that make it special/different from Rift, which is PS Camera and PS Move, will stay with PS4 console.

Sony might very well go the Move.Me route again.
KSAJv5S.jpg

Replace PS3/PSEye with PS4/PSCamera and add HMD to the mix.

If anyone from Sony/Oculus is reading this thread, send this to R&D divisions! :D

The way to make your OculusRift-based design completely compatible with 2D content from any HDMI+USB-equipped source [2D games from PS4/PS3, movies, computer desktop, mobile phones]:

- Android SoC takes HDMI input, quickly ads that stream to 2D plane, and places this 2D plane in front of user to be fixed in space like he is in cinema [just blackness around the screen]. If USB tracking data is not available, then it doesn't need to be fixed in space [like with HMZ-T1].

Instant compatibility with ALL 2D HDMI content [99.9% of content that is experienced today by gamers, PC users and home movie watchers].

This could be moved to PS4 headset#2 down the line, giving it a strong marketing push with this great new feature. OculusVR could also use this, possibly giving us superior experience because they can go wild with display resolutions.

YES, this is what both devices must feature to ensure their potential success. Plug and view as a "surround" monitor. I personally do not need or want head tracking. But if either device requires it, which means every game in history must be patched, I will never buy it.

HDMI plug and view? Boom. You have my money.

And it will stifle sales if all those existing games out there must be patched for VR. Let it be a private theater at least. I want to fully recline, relax with Oculus and use a controller for games. Have options for viewing. Make the image at a "distance" like a theater, or ultra surround your eyes crazy mode.

HDMI has very thin light weight cable options available. It seems very feasible.

It's a completely new 3d paradigm of virtual presence. It will absolutely rewrite our concept of 3d design.

I don't want VR to replace what we already have. this will probably kill local multiplayer even further for example. stuff like fighting game, sports games, top down view multiplayer game like Dead Nation, Helldivers.

not all games need VR. I think it's nice for certain genres and that's it, that's why while I'm excited for it, I'm glad Sony went the accessories/add on route instead of building the console around VR just like Wii is build entirely around motion control.

Vizzeh

Banned
I expect not all forms of games will have VR, but would be nice to have a VR mode or use it like a TV headset...

If they should me a reason to buy VR with some great games, im in... day 1. Whatever the price (within reason)

StuBurns

Banned
It would be a good candidate for a VR title without going first person. It has a 360° camera system so you don't need to build portions of the world that weren't supposed to be there in the non-VR version (like, say, God of War). They would still need to tweak it quite a bit tho to remove/rethink the cutscenes, disable camera collision with geometry and stuff.
While my only VR experiences have been first person, and I don't really have any reason to think third person wouldn't be cool, I just don't believe it. The dissonance between looking, and camera control is just too weird I think.

I'll be interested to see if third person games have little first person modes in them. I'd never considered it till the other day, but developers could include little VR 'toys' in games without VR, for example, MGS5 could bring back first person photo mode from VR Missions so you can admire Quiet in VR or whatever.

I imagine we'll get a bunch of silly stuff like that.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
What if Destiny will support VR

I think that's very unlikely. Porting games to VR is hard for reasons that relate to the fact that you don't want the users to constantly puke in their livingrooms or fall from their sofas. I haven't tried any Rift game/demo other than Doom on the dev kit 2yrs ago, but going by how people react to stuff like the Rift rollercoaster tech-demo I just don't see how you could port to VR games that involve huge jumps and alike without causing discomfort.

I'd actually like to hear from people who have tried Rift-enable FPSs like Team Fortress how they felt when dropping from significant heights and stuff like that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't want VR to replace what we already have.

I don't think it will, I think you'll probably always continue to have more abstracted 3D interaction. I think what Corto means is that it gives us a new canvas for 3D interaction design - not one that replaces existing 3D interaction/game design but adds another approach that is indeed very different from what's come before.

TimFL

PS Move is better than the Wiimote, obviously because of improvements in tech over the years, but had nowhere near the same punch or success, simply because people already saw it by the time it came out. The novelty of swinging a sword wore out, quickly....

Still waiting for my first person lightsabre Star Wars game that 1:1 translates my movement ingame. Bring it on EA, only on PS4 with VR headset and PS Move. I bet it'd sell shitloads.

androvsky

YES, this is what both devices must feature to ensure their potential success. Plug and view as a "surround" monitor. I personally do not need or want head tracking. But if either device requires it, which means every game in history must be patched, I will never buy it.

HDMI plug and view? Boom. You have my money.

And it will stifle sales if all those existing games out there must be patched for VR. Let it be a private theater at least. I want to fully recline, relax with Oculus and use a controller for games. Have options for viewing. Make the image at a "distance" like a theater, or ultra surround your eyes crazy mode.

HDMI has very thin light weight cable options available. It seems very feasible.
If you don't want head tracking, that's called a wearable TV and there's plenty of options on the market currently that work with any HDMI input. They're expensive, but it's a niche market with no backend sales, so all the profit has to happen with the hardware sale (as opposed to compatible software).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think that's very unlikely. Porting games to VR is hard for reasons that relate to the fact that you don't want the users to constantly puke in their livingrooms or fall from their sofas. I haven't tried any Rift game/demo other than Doom on the dev kit 2yrs ago, but going by how people react to stuff like the Rift rollercoaster tech-demo I just don't see how you could port to VR games that involve huge jumps and alike without causing discomfort.

I'd actually like to hear from people who have tried Rift-enable FPSs like Team Fortress how they felt when dropping from significant heights and stuff like that.

I'm curious how driving games will work. EuroTruck Simulator is supposed to be really good with Oculus but then I read about Oculus recommending 'walking speeds' for player traversal, at least for maximum comfort. Or should it be no less comfortable than sitting in a car for real (where we can have motion sickness anyway)?

I don't want VR to replace what we already have. this will probably kill local multiplayer even further for example. stuff like fighting game, sports games, top down view multiplayer game like Dead Nation, Helldivers.

not all games need VR. I think it's nice for certain genres and that's it, that's why while I'm excited for it, I'm glad Sony went the accessories/add on route instead of building the console around VR just like Wii is build entirely around motion control.

It'll be a paradigm shift if it gets popular. It won't showcase genres that gain no advantage by being in VR. First person sports games, cockpit simulators, racing games, horror/survival games, first person shooters, but more importantly first person non-shooters are where VR will certainly venture.

With a proper control scheme, Imagine the advanced UI's they could come up with; it would be AR (augmented reality) within VR (virtual reality). People have already been developing some new UI concepts with the Rift/Hydra Razer combo. Does anybody have a link for this?

There are so many new possibilities; I wouldn't worry about it replacing what you already know and love.

Seanspeed

Banned
Sony putting VR on PC wouldn't cause a third party to make a major VR game PS4&PC, as for adding support to viable titles, Sony will get it anyway, they're going to be the major publishers bread and butter for the next eight years, they can get VR support added.
Can they, though? Just because developers make games for the PS4 doesn't mean they need to make VR games. I think that's a big ask for them until its proven that there will be a solid install-base and that they can make a profit.

Will certainly sell better than the XB1.
Ok? It might be surprising to a lot of people on here, but I don't think Sony's main goal is to 'win' the console war.

Who's to say this is a PS4 only peripheral? It's could easily be compatible with PC as well.

There's little benefit to this. I wouldn't expect it for PC at all.

It'll be a paradigm shift if it gets popular. It won't showcase genres that gain no advantage by being in VR. First person sports games, cockpit simulators, racing games, horror/survival games, first person shooters, but more importantly first person non-shooters are where VR will certainly venture.

With a proper control scheme, Imagine the advanced UI's they could come up with; it would be AR (augmented reality) within VR (virtual reality). People have already been developing some new UI concepts with the Rift/Hydra Razer combo. Does anybody have a link for this?

There are so many new possibilities; I wouldn't worry about it replacing what you already know and love.

I agree that the potential for the tech is exciting, but I think this is a while away from the awesome we all want. But that's the next area for console growth really.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I'm curious how driving games will work. EuroTruck Simulator is supposed to be really good with Oculus but then I read about Oculus recommending 'walking speeds' for player traversal, at least for maximum comfort. Or should it be no less comfortable than sitting in a car for real (where we can have motion sickness anyway)?

I think the walking speed reccomandation mainly applies to on-foot locomotion to reduce discomfort caused by mismatch between your real stance (sitting) and the in-game one (standing and walking/running/jumping).

When you are sitting in some sort of virtual cockpit tho (be it a car, a truck or a spaceship) that mismatch lessens I guess so you are less likely to get sick.

StuBurns

Banned
Can they, though? Just because developers make games for the PS4 doesn't mean they need to make VR games. I think that's a big ask for them until its proven that there will be a solid install-base and that they can make a profit.
Making a 'VR game', and adding VR support are very different depending on the meaning.

I mean Sony will have no issue getting publishers to implement VR modes into games that are naturally fitting, like 60fps flight and racing games, it's not a significant task, and their importance in the industry is sufficient to make it happen.

No one is going to build VR exclusive major titles outside of Sony, for PS4 or PC, it doesn't make financial sense.

This is going to be a long road thing, debating PS4VR versus CV1 or whatever is so small potatoes, we need to be looking five, ten, twenty years down the line before this stuff is really matured and commanding 'AAA' ground up exclusives from third parties.

Concept17

Given the recent restructuring of Santa Monica, along side the impending announcement of this, is it safe to assume the studio will be purposed toward software development specifically for VR?

I'm not sure if VR's going to be the FUTURE OF GAMING or whatever, but I do think that if Sony executes it right (in terms of both price and software) it could be the next Wii in terms of grabbing the attention of the casual/non-gamer crowd. Which may be one of Sony's main motivations in pushing this tech in the first place.

Soi-Fong

Given the recent restructuring of Santa Monica, along side the impending announcement of this, is it safe to assume the studio will be purposed toward software development specifically for VR?

Santa Monica is THE premiere Sony first party along with Naughty Dog. VR is still too much in its infancy that they'll dedicate one of their best studios to VR.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm not sure if VR's going to be the FUTURE OF GAMING or whatever, but I do think that if Sony executes it right (in terms of both price and software) it could be the next Wii in terms of grabbing the attention of the casual/non-gamer crowd. Which may be one of Sony's main motivations in pushing this tech in the first place.
The price is really a big issue though, for the full VR package, the PS4, VR headset, the camera, the Moves, a DS4 and one VR game, what realistically is the cheapest Sony could deliver that for? $750?

It's a fine price for what that involves, and it's fine for tech-fans, but for the mass market Wii crowd? It's not going to happen I'd suspect.

TheJerit

I think one thing is missing in this thinking; indies. Sony has made a huge transition regarding indies and they are now a major focal point in their strategy/business plans. Look how most of them have played out so far. Start out on PC, get the game running well, build a fan base, etc. Then focus on learning PS4/porting over. If they can still lead with the PC, utilizing the headset, then they'll continue down that path of porting over to PS4. It's a win/win really.

Kosma

Banned
If they announce it will be compatible with the ps5 as well then the price will be easier to swallow for sure.

Top Bottom