• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Sony’s VR tech will be revealed at GDC

I have no questions it will work... but how well?

A game that runs at 1080P at 60FPS that max's out the PS4 cannot run at those specs on a VR set. At the least you're looking at 1080P and 30FPS per monitor and even then, who's to say the VR headest will be spec'd at 1080P screens?

I don't expect the specs to blow me out of the water...

Well from what we are hearing, it is better than the first version of OCR. And people were even blown away with that version. So who knows. Anyways, we'll find out next week. I am excited no matter what.

And Wii-mote better than Move .... LOL not even close

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is just what Carmack and M.Abrash have been looking into in regards to VR.

I went looking for Abrash's comments, found them in the comment section of one of his blog posts. Sounds like it's something he thought was worth looking into, though it may not be perfect. He also expressed some doubt about cost/weight, with mechanical solutions anyway.

Would be interesting if Sony's did use it, if it works well.

Man

I went looking for Abrash's comments, found them in the comment section of one of his blog posts. Sounds like it's something he thought was worth looking into, though it may not be perfect. He also expressed some doubt about cost/weight, with mechanical solutions anyway.

Would be interesting if Sony's did use it, if it works well.
I read only the quotes you posted but I thought this was a software solution (basically just offsetting the image according to motion). First time I hear about a mechanical implementation.

Nzyme32

[quote edited apparently]

Oculus dev kit 1 was still pretty bad on extended use causing a lot of issues, and wasn't intended as a final product, so I find the comparison that was made to be a bit meaningless. Any VR set that comes to market will need to be significantly better than that.

I'm interested in seeing what sony's goals are for VR output. Low persistence is fairly important but doesn't work well even at 60fps. In which case, either they have a different solution or will be demanding beyond 60fps. If that's the case, it will be interesting to see what sort of games they intend to bring. There are lots of opportunities and directions for them to take, but games like driveclub may look strange considering that people have seen what it could have been like already

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I read only the quotes you posted but I thought this was a software solution (basically just offsetting the image according to motion). First time I hear about a mechanical implementation.

You could apparently do this with digital image manipulation but according to Abrash it would be more prone to issues with dynamic objects and judder of their motion between frames.

You can alternatively do it with mechanical motion of the displays or shifting of the optics - but therein lies extra hardware, perhaps extra heat, weight, cost etc. But maybe it would not be prohibitive.

cakefoo

As for its abilities as 6DOF, with Motion Plus it's pretty good at it, based on Skyward Sword (IF YOU HAVE A BUILT IN MOTION +) and even Wii Sports resort, just moving the rackets around. I don't know latency on that part in particular, but trying to play Killzone, RE5, or whatever other game it was that I'd played on PS3 with Move was terribad after CoD, RE4, and every game on Wii.

EDIT: OG Wiimote was bad at the actual motion bits though, I'll give ya that. But basing your tech on the Move's ball means that pointing is loltastic, and based on its ability to find a distinctive color, which is admittably not a huge problem.
Wii Sports Resort sword/racket play is just proof of orientation tracking.

With the Wiimote +'s limited tech, there can be no true virtual reality experience like Tumble.

http://youtu.be/r627CJt_l08?t=51s

Man

You could apparently do this with digital image manipulation but according to Abrash it would be more prone to issues with dynamic objects and judder of their motion between frames.

You can alternatively do it with mechanical motion of the displays or shifting of the optics - but therein lies extra hardware, perhaps extra heat, weight, cost etc. But maybe it would not be prohibitive.
Having read it all I'm not sure how they could make this cost effective.
From all the approaches I have read about so far it's the Killzone SF tech that seems like the most realistic solution (interlaced motionflow :p ).
Some of the pixels would still be wrong (which might cause nausea) but probably preferable to actually just offsetting the screen.

I'm probably in the minority.. but I just want good games from SONY game studios not gimmicks...

I know Oculus Rift is on it's way but I don't want original games being put on the back burner due to VR coming back into popularity.. to me this is a fad, i'm probably wrong...
but that's how i feel

iceatcs

No one expected it will be all games supported just like 3D or Move.

And there always health problem just like 3DTV may cause ‘motion sickness’, ‘disorientation’ and ‘eye strain’. Or Move may cause 'Screen damage' and 'Strain'
That's why we have the reviews. They should have own nausea rate for each game.

Every VR headsets will cause 'motion sickness' because you can force it by software.

TBH, not saying much. The first devkit really kinda sucks by current Oculus standards.

They said 'significantly better' than that. So even if it is not as good as the current version, its most likely closer to the current version.

The PS4 is more than capable of outputting 1k per eye at 60fps minimum. They don't need to look like The Order to be effective.

If I can play Shadow of Col HD version in VR on PS4, I'll be happy. I think PS4 can definitely do that and even better. Most likely PS3 quality stuff. Its just the feeling of "being there" that changes the playing field completely. Not about having the best graphics. That will come in the future.

The PS4 is more than capable of outputting 1k per eye at 60fps minimum. They don't need to look like The Order to be effective.
Exactly. And it doesn't need to sell 10 million units. Just give it to me, have 50-100 games that support it over the PS4 life span then come out with something more advanced in the future to keep the negative Nancies in here happy.

Corto

i'd say there was a 1% chance it got delayed for polish and making it a great driving game

"Breaking news! Sony insider claims that there's a 99% chance that Drive Club will release in an unpolished state and won't be a great driving game." :p

Sorry... But this is completely, 100% untrue. The PSmove completely shits on the Wiimote.

Thanks for posting this. As someone who owns and plays both it blows my mind when I see people saying the Wiimote is superior. Move is heads and shoulders over it in every way possible.

Not really. Since the establishment of 3D game design, there has been a very notable limitation, two primary inputs, left hand for character movement, right hand view/reticule control. VR provides a third input, decoupling view from the reticule, which is important in of itself, but most importantly, it does it while actually making interaction more intuitive.

Even without the sense of immersion, possible experience of presence, and physical isolation from your real environment, VR offers a huge advance in simulation interaction.

It's a completely new 3d paradigm of virtual presence. It will absolutely rewrite our concept of 3d design.

To both of you, our concept of 3D design exists within the real world already, so how it would be any more effective in VR, is yet to be explained or demonstrated. It would offer different and new experiences no doubt, but rather than further our (industry-wide) development of 3D design, I see it introducing far more problems in creating something functional or compelling on a fundamental level. It's taken 15 years to get to this stage with 3D console gaming.

To Stuburns, the input standards you're describing are just that: standards. They are paradigms that are simultaneously recognisable and non-compulsory. Rather than looking at the controller or input as something that is holding the medium back, look at the choices developers are making with design as holding the medium back.

Everything else to do with VR is visual titillation and embellishment.

The timeless element is 3D design, not the peripheral that informs the interaction.

EDIT: I am obviously more than aware this is an opinion, sorry for writing it so objectively.

To both of you, our concept of 3D design exists within the real world already, so how it would be any more effective in VR, is yet to be explained or demonstrated. It would offer different and new experiences no doubt, but rather than further our (industry-wide) development of 3D design, I see it introducing far more problems in creating something functional or compelling on a fundamental level. It's taken 15 years to get to this stage with 3D console gaming.

To Stuburns, the input standards you're describing are just that: standards. They are paradigms that are simultaneously recognisable and non-compulsory. Rather than looking at the controller or input as something that is holding the medium back, and look at the choices developers are making with design as holding the medium back.

Everything else to do with VR is visual titillation and embellishment.

The timeless element is 3D design, not the peripheral that informs the interaction.

EDIT: I am obviously more than aware this is an opinion, sorry for writing it so objectively.

Can you look at me with a straight face and say that playing a game like Outlast with VR would not blow the regular experience out of the water? It would be utterly amazing.

Corto

To me this represents a bigger transition than 2D-3D. Our brain will be tricked to believe that we are present in the game world. That will change how levels need to flow, it will make designers even more careful with creating "natural" geography or it will break the immersion. Of course there will be more abstract experiences, fantastic experiences. Imagine an Anti-Chamber kind of mind bending game in VR. The player as a giant interacting with a lilliputian world, as a blind character trying to navigate a level. You are right that it will introduce problems, hurdles and it won't be perfect from the start, but it's exciting to imagine the potential this has to completely change how we play video games, we will live them.

edit: And this of course won't make current games disappear all of the sudden. We still have 2D games, side scrolling platformers to this day. It will be just another way to experience video games.

With all these made-comparisons, weird claims ("Oculus Rift totally needs more competition"... Why?), etc... There's a clear message I'm getting out of these recurring threads about the alleged Sony VR system, and that's:
"Exciting new gaming tech isn't exciting enough if my favorite console brand isn't the one pushing it the most".
Really? What I'm getting from this thread is a fuckton of:
"PSVR can never succeed because Master Race."

But I wanted them beautiful graphics!

I don't think Sony will release any game exclusively for VR(well, maybe some, but not big AAA titles and only if the titles are built for VR from the ground up) and I don't think they'll nerv the non VR versions in order to get higher framerates for the VR-versions.
Downgrading the graphics for VR doesn't mean they'll downgrade they graphics for non VR.

The whole power argument is completely overblown and TOTALLY misses the point of VR. Watch any casual consumer put on an Oculus Rift with a demo running absolutely barebones graphics, and their eyes and facial expressions light up FAR more than any reaction that would be elicited by graphics as good as something like The Order (not to take anything away from that game, or any other game that has amazing 2D visuals).

VR isn't about fidelity, it's about complete and total immersion. Fooling your senses into believing you've legitimately stepped into an alternate world. Something not possible with 2D games featuring robust, dense visuals. PS4 is absolutely capable of delivering immersive VR with visuals that are far more detailed than the tech demos out there blowing people away with the Oculus Rift.

People shouldn't focus on VR being a replacement for traditional gaming experiences, because it's not. And while I'm confident that there will be a decent amount of support from traditional games, those really won't be the focus of what the device is all about. You won't be buying a VR headset largely for tacked on 3D or quasi-VR support of AAA games; you will be buying a VR headset for experiences that currently are not even available or conceptualized anywhere in the gaming landscape as it stands.

VR, when coupled with motion gaming, will create new genres and experiences that simply haven't been developed before -- and that's really what it's all about, and it has nothing to do with blistering visual detail that only the highest of high end PCs are capable of pulling off.

The other aspect is that PS3, and even PS2 era games, when combined with clean IQ, are DEFINITELY NOT UGLY, and certainly of high enough quality to do justice to VR.

Would anyone complain if this was the best we could expect for VR?

wiiu_screenshot_tv_014dzws.jpg

ihnTbx39rYIw3.jpg

journey.jpg

714Ua5vMRBL._SL1500_.jpg

the-witness-10.jpg

rime.jpg

tearaway_2.jpg

Honestly, I cannot wait to have my next "Mario 64 moment" with gaming, and it has less to with fidelity and more to do with brand new experiences. Some of you sound incredibly jaded.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Ah, you edited but that Flower shot you had before was nasty.
Here's what it really looks like.
if6nAl9sYpPwZ.jpg

You beat me to it. I was just about to suggest that photorealism may not be the focus of most VR games. Just think of all the Tron-style cyberspace games, or Killer is Dead surrealist stylized worlds possible. Think of being inside a Ghibli world to explore like Ni No Kuni. PS4 can handle all those fine even if it cant do The Order a 2x960x1080x90hz.

I have a beefy 780 gtx. a ps3, ps4, 360, psp, psvita, ipads, iphones etc. I've played Skyrim and gta iv with the most demanding enb s, at 60fps, on my 65 inch Panny plasma, 7.1 surround system.

I was never more blown away than playing a modded skyrim, with the lowest graphics possible, with the OR dev kit. Walking the paths and looking up at the towering mountains. Watching the the floating debris float above me, staring at a tree that you'd swear to god is really in front of you, and facing a lunging skeleton in a dark cave fucking eye to eye.

Try to really understand what presence means. 100 % absolute game changer.

If they can get rid of the motion sickness.

Soi-Fong

A really inspiring post. I have to agree with you. VR is more than a gimmick. It has the potential to completely change the way we interact in virtual worlds.

Don't worry. Haters will continue to say Sony sucks and that the PS4 is too weak to handle VR.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Don't worry. Haters will continue to say Sony sucks and that the PS4 is too weak to handle VR.

No modern system is inherently too weak - they've got it working on android phones already. The point is just that we have to dial back our expectations, and stop trying to compare current games to what VR games could potentially be.

I know this has already been said, but the actual quality of the assets, the smoothness of the model or the resolution of the textures don't feel like they have an impact on how real the visuals feel when you have the headset on.

vpance

About those actions that would cause you to hurl or faint or whatever - what are they and is it really that bad in VR? Couldn't you get used to it over time? Those extreme feelings couldn't be worse than what you'd feel on a roller coaster or bungee jumping no?

iceatcs

I do not understand this sentence.

[edit] oh you ninja edited. I still don't understand the sentence.

Too much filters, too blurry, locked at 30fps etc.. all design/coding by human decision.

or make an app for motion sickness experience to check how your tolerance.

A really inspiring post. I have to agree with you. VR is more than a gimmick. It has the potential to completely change the way we interact with virtual worlds.

it can change the way you look at virtual world, not interact with it, to actually change the way we interact with the world, we also need some kind of motion control input method, preferably something that can reliably track individual finger as well.

SparkTR

About those actions that would cause you to hurl or faint or whatever - what are they and is it really that bad in VR? Couldn't you get used to it over time? Those extreme feelings couldn't be worse than what you'd feel on a roller coaster or bungee jumping no?

I guess falling off a high ledge would be one, in some games I feel weird when looking at that on a TV screen, in VR it would be insane. Though more notably being shot from behind in an FPS game will be an issue in VR games, as unexpected 'jolts' can cause motion sickness. It's really apparent that VR games have to be really tailored for the device, just slapping support on an existing game likely won't work.

rjinaz

Actually the latest version of OR reportedly eliminates most if not all of the potential of nausea for users. The more the brain thinks what is happening is real due to higher specs, the less nausea.

The original OR model did cause people to get nausea because it was low-end. What Sony sells will undoubtedly be better. My guess is nausea will only be an issue for the most sensitive (those that get motion sickness, etc.)

boyshine

Great, can't wait for tht $150 price reveal.

$200 - $350 or not.

I think it will be $250. Still very affordable price of HQ VR experience, with window for Sony to drop the price later on.

Well if we are talking about what could, possibly, maybe, potentially happen, my money is on $350 w/ camera which will be required for tracking.

It's likely to have a 1080p screen.

People do realize that the HMZ-T3W is $999/1299€ and 720p, right? Even after toning down design (making it less of a luxury, and more practical) + removing wireless/battery, it'd likely still be a $799 product. Just wondering what kind of quality is expected at a $200-350 price here.. when you're talking about 1080p VR.

I expect the price will be $299 - $399

I think it's crucial that the VR headset is packed in with a move controller, too. I hope Sony feels the same way.

SparkTR

Is a PC VR demo right now that looks to be out of the reach of the PS4??

EVE Valkyrie is probably the most advanced VR-only demo right now, but I'm not sure what the system requirements for that are.

But then you have games like Star Citizen, Project Cars and Elite Dangerous, which aren't built around VR but do/will support it. Those are already going to be focused on high-end rigs.

Top Bottom