• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Sony’s VR tech will be revealed at GDC

KnaveX

Neo Member
Those who are doubting this cannot be done on PS4, do you guys think Sony's R&D is some mickey mouse factory run by idiots?

Lol, mickey mouse factory. Anyway, what is VR, besides stereo 3d output of a game coupled with various motion tracking methods? Seriously, someone educated me. Cause it doesnt sound that farfetched to me. Im sure some compromises have to made, like when running uncharted 3 in 3d, but nevertheless.

boeso

Those who are doubting this cannot be done on PS4, do you guys think Sony's R&D is some mickey mouse factory run by idiots? Do you think Dr. Richard and his team are some morons who don't know what they are doing? Come on guys if Sony is really revealing this for PS4, you bet your ass PS4 is capable of doing it and it will work. Of course some compromises would be made due to hardware limitation as its not like a PC with unlimited power, but it will work effectively otherwise why even release it if can't at least be close to OCR quality in terms of presence. The only question is at what price this gets released to attract the masses and will there be enough software to support it. I certainly hope so because VR is the next big thing in gaming and true next gen leap.

You speak much sense. I think Its the compromise that some people don't like. Of course its not going to be perfect and of course its not going to as impressive as PC and of course the PS5 will be better but you've gotta start somewhere. I've never used VR but from the reactions I've read from the base Rift, sounds like something to be excited about.

War Eagle

I'm a little on the fence with this one on whether or not I should be overly excited. I am absolutely going to get the consumer rift once it comes out as I know there will be many more games initially that support it and several indie games currently being made to support it.

I eventually will pick up a PS4 and if this VR tech turns out to be really good, it means I'll also want to get sony's VR (assuming that the Occulus doesn't work for PS4) which is gonna be expensive for all these multiple headsets :/

I think the hardware will be good, as the move and eye toy are both solid. I just hope there's a decent amount of content for it, and that Sony stays good to the indy scene, which should flourish.

And War Damn, my Auburn brother!

StuBurns

Banned
You speak much sense. I think Its the compromise that some people don't like. Of course its not going to be perfect and of course its not going to as impressive as PC and of course the PS5 will be better but you've gotta start somewhere. I've never used VR but from the reactions I've read from the base Rift, sounds like something to be excited about.
It is something that needs to be experienced.

It's easy to say it's not worth the visual sacrifices when someone hasn't had a chance to experience the advantages.

While the PS4 is a nice bump from the PS3, it's not an interesting change for people, but outside of the lucky few who've had a chance to use modern VR, most people have no idea whatsoever what VR actually is, and it's going to shock people, regardless of the fidelity hit those people will be taking by using it.

EDIT: I don't believe DC was delayed for this. The game was literally never shown running with more than one car on the track, and it barely held 30fps. It was presumably running like ass. Insiders or not, I'm not buying it.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Those who are doubting this cannot be done on PS4, do you guys think Sony's R&D is some mickey mouse factory run by idiots? Do you think Dr. Richard and his team are some morons who don't know what they are doing? Come on guys if Sony is really revealing this for PS4, you bet your ass PS4 is capable of doing it and it will work. Of course some compromises would be made due to hardware limitation as its not like a PC with unlimited power, but it will work effectively otherwise why even release it if can't at least be close to OCR quality in terms of presence. The only question is at what price this gets released to attract the masses and will there be enough software to support it. I certainly hope so because VR is the next big thing in gaming and true next gen leap.

This is the same company that gave us the Move and 3D. I'm not exactly confident in Sony's ability to produce such an item when their possible competition is doing better things.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Sony can surely make this happen.
It will have cutbacks, naturally.
quality of assets will be way down compared to traditional games but this doesnt exactly matter from what I understand from valves talks about VR. Its good as long as it creates the illusion of actually beeing there for the brain. grafical assets are of lesser importance.

PS4 is just an evolution of gaming, VR is a revolution. The true next gen.
It will be like going from text adventures to graphical games. From 2D to 3D. And potentially far more than that.

text based games - graphical games - 3D games - Virtual Realtiy - Holodeck.
We are not far xD

This is the same company that gave us the Move and 3D. I'm not exactly confident in Sony's ability to produce such an item when their possible competition is doing better things.

what company did it better?
Move was the most precise and responsive design of motion gaming.

Also I dont think you can compare such a relatively toy-ish thing like move or 3D to what VR can potentially do.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I love how everyone in here just assumes Sony is developing this without it able to work. The oculus love is strong from what it seems.

Nafai1123

Banned

Move was the most accurate and responsive console motion controller last generation. I'm not sure I understand your point.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
ST+TNG+Geordi+gif.gif

A-V-B

Alright, competition. Neato.

I still expect consumer Rift to outstrip it, and I doubt without Sony, Oculus would fall to the wayside since they're the excited intelligent folk innovating this whole thing into existence.

But still, good to see someone else giving it a shot.

iceatcs

And both aren't broken at all.
Just software opinions, there may be not enough or nothing you like. May better support than 360 Kinect and Wii Balance Board.

Wii Balance Board is the worst problem - sell great but not many games support.

And both move and 3D were excellent in terms of tech. The real issue was not enough software support and that is my concern here too. Also until someone really experiences the VR it's hard to sell it from videos. So that's another challenge to overcome.

vpance

The application for turning your living room into the living room of some multimillion dollar house to just watch 2D content alone will be awesome.

boeso

It is something that needs to be experienced.

It's easy to say it's not worth the visual sacrifices when someone hasn't had a chance to experience the advantages.

While the PS4 is a nice bump from the PS3, it's not an interesting change for people, but outside of the lucky few who've had a chance to use modern VR, most people have no idea whatsoever what VR actually is, and it's going to shock people, regardless of the fidelity hit those people will be taking by using it.

EDIT: I don't believe DC was delayed for this. The game was literally never shown running with more than one car on the track, and it barely held 30fps. It was presumably running like ass. Insiders or not, I'm not buying it.

Yeah agree. I'd imagine plenty of people passing a store with one in would be curious enough to try it, like with 3D tv's. The Rift looks crazy looking too so that should help things.

doemaaan

Yeah agree. I'd imagine plenty of people passing a store with one in would be curious enough to try it, like with 3D tv's. The Rift looks crazy looking too so that should help things.

I saw someone mention earlier that it would be pretty disgusting to stick your face into a device that lot of other people already have. Unless they have an employee there cleaning the device after each use, I ain't usin it.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i currently have a GPU which is putting out similar performance to the PS4, coupled with a much more powerful CPU and i wouldn't even begin to consider it VR ready.

i'd like to think that if sony have come up with their own wonder headset, they won't be so boneheaded and myopic as to bind it to a single device which is grossly underpowered for the task.

ShinAmano

I saw someone mention earlier that it would be pretty disgusting to stick your face into a device that lot of other people already have. Unless they have an employee there cleaning the device after each use, I ain't usin it.
Yeah demo stations sound gross.

And both aren't broken at all.
I think the point about 3D is that the PS3 was having its work cut out to run games at 720p30, and 3DTV demanded so much more, and they had to make significant compromises to get it to work, to the point where the image quality was pretty horrendous (a similar drop in quality to running a splitscreen multiplayer game). They were able to get away with it in certain games, particularly those already running 60fps, because they could just run them at 30fps in 3D and it was still 'good enough'. VR has stricter requirements. You can't get away with 'good enough' to the same extent as they did with 3D. (30fps is certainly not good enough, for instance).

The concern is that the PS4 is potentially in a similar situation, and this time it's having its work cut out to run games at 1080p60. VR is more demanding, so compromises have to be made. If they compromise as much as they did on PS3 with 3D, the VR experience may suffer to the point where it's not quite good enough (for some people who are particularly prone to motion sickness for example).

However, they should be well aware of this and have strict guidelines for developers, so it might not be a problem.

boeso

Actually yeah thats true lol. Wouldn't be too pleasant. Sucks to be the sweat wiper!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Huh.

This patent was already posted a while back but I think some of its significance may have been missed.

I'd be curious what other people think about it.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP2660643A2.html

Basically on a second read it sounds like a system that would split low frequency motion response and high frequency motion response across two systems.

Low frequency motion would be responded to using viewpoint changes from the renderer.

High frequency motion would be responded to using either mechanical movement of the displays inside the HMD, mechanical movement of optics, or digital movement of a wider panoramic image across the displays. This would allow much lower latency response (all within the HMD) to high frequency head motion without having to ask the render pipeline for new viewpoint renderings.

Plausible?

Variation according to the lower frequency component is carried out by generating an image appropriate to the viewpoint at the time that the image is to be displayed. Because it takes a non-zero amount of time to generate and render an image, in some example arrangements the viewpoint used at the image generation process is in fact a prediction of the viewpoint that will be valid at the time of display.

Various techniques are available to provide image stabilisation in respect of the higher frequency component of detected motion. Three such techniques will be described with reference to Figures 13-15. In some embodiments, the display element may be moved by the controller in response to the higher frequency component of the detected motion. In other embodiments comprising one or more optical elements in an optical path from the display element to the eye of the observer, the controller is operable to move one or more of the optical elements in response to the higher frequency component of the detected motion.

In any of these example arrangements, the correction in respect of the higher frequency component does not alter the viewpoint at which the image is rendered; instead it acts on an already-rendered image to alter the position relative to the user's eye at which the image is displayed. Note that this could be a physical alteration of the physical display position, for example by translating the display element or by applying a pixel shift to pixels for display. Such arrangements will also give rise to a change in the position of the virtual image relating to that displayed image. Or it could relate only to a change in the position of a virtual image, for example by shifting or otherwise altering one or more optical elements between the eye and the display element.

Figure 15 schematically illustrates two images for display by the HMD, for the left and right eye displays respectively. The arrangement is such that only a portion 700 of each image is displayed so as to be visible to the user; the periphery of each image is either not displayed or is displayed but not in a way that is visible to the user, possibly by blanking off the very outer periphery of the display element 150.

This then allows image stabilisation to be carried out by making small changes to the location of the displayed portion 700 relative to the overall outline of the available image data. The selection of the displayed portion can be digitally moved relative to the actual periphery of the image so as to apply an apparent compensating movement to the image as seen by the user.

I'm not sure it would subvert the need for a reasonably high minimum framerate, for the low frequency component of the motion, but it might allow low latency response to very high frequency motion without need for very high framerate.

It kind of reads like a simpler version of Carmack's continuous time warping, but possibly happening within the HMD (i.e. a much tighter motion:response loop), and with the tradeoff that the response to these motions would be translational rather than rotational+translational. But for such small motions this might be accepted by the eye.

StuBurns

Banned
i currently have a GPU which is putting out similar performance to the PS4, coupled with a much more powerful CPU and i wouldn't even begin to consider it VR ready.

i'd like to think that if sony have come up with their own wonder headset, they won't be so boneheaded and myopic as to bind it to a single device which is grossly underpowered for the task.
If Sony didn't consider PS4 capable of compelling VR, this thread wouldn't exist.

DieH@rd

Banned
"In any of these example arrangements, the correction in respect of the higher frequency component does not alter the viewpoint at which the image is rendered; instead it acts on an already-rendered image to alter the position relative to the user's eye at which the image is displayed. "

Now that is an awesome idea. Dunno in how many situations this could be used, but the idea is nice.

iM0vTzt4JhdTt.gif

In terms of support, no doubt, that's a given. But the tech...?
Well...
It's better just for aiming.
This is more what I was referring to. As for its abilities as 6DOF, with Motion Plus it's pretty good at it, based on Skyward Sword (IF YOU HAVE A BUILT IN MOTION +) and even Wii Sports resort, just moving the rackets around. I don't know latency on that part in particular, but trying to play Killzone, RE5, or whatever other game it was that I'd played on PS3 with Move was terribad after CoD, RE4, and every game on Wii.

EDIT: OG Wiimote was bad at the actual motion bits though, I'll give ya that. But basing your tech on the Move's ball means that pointing is loltastic, and based on its ability to find a distinctive color, which is admittably not a huge problem.

a916

I have no questions it will work... but how well?

A game that runs at 1080P at 60FPS that max's out the PS4 cannot run at those specs on a VR set. At the least you're looking at 1080P and 30FPS per monitor and even then, who's to say the VR headest will be spec'd at 1080P screens?

I don't expect the specs to blow me out of the water...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Now that is an awesome idea. Dunno in how many situations this could be used, but the idea is nice.

I think the idea would be that this would happen inside a black box at the end of the pipeline - i.e. would be happening for all VR games. The HMD would look after high frequency response itself independent of the render pipeline. The render pipeline would still need to spit out images fast enough to cover lower frequency motions though.

Again though, I'm not sure if this is actually feasible or not. But the idea is in there.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Move was the most accurate and responsive console motion controller last generation. I'm not sure I understand your point.

Sony can surely make this happen.
It will have cutbacks, naturally.
quality of assets will be way down compared to traditional games but this doesnt exactly matter from what I understand from valves talks about VR. Its good as long as it creates the illusion of actually beeing there for the brain. grafical assets are of lesser importance.

PS4 is just an evolution of gaming, VR is a revolution. The true next gen.
It will be like going from text adventures to graphical games. From 2D to 3D. And potentially far more than that.

text based games - graphical games - 3D games - Virtual Realtiy - Holodeck.
We are not far xD

what company did it better?
Move was the most precise and responsive design of motion gaming.

Also I dont think you can compare such a relatively toy-ish thing like move or 3D to what VR can potentially do.

I was referring to VR.

I think the point about 3D is that the PS3 was having its work cut out to run games at 720p30, and 3DTV demanded so much more, and they had to make significant compromises to get it to work, to the point where the image quality was pretty horrendous (a similar drop in quality to running a splitscreen multiplayer game). They were able to get away with it in certain games, particularly those already running 60fps, because they could just run them at 30fps in 3D and it was still 'good enough'. VR has stricter requirements. You can't get away with 'good enough' to the same extent as they did with 3D. (30fps is certainly not good enough, for instance).

The concern is that the PS4 is potentially in a similar situation, and this time it's having its work cut out to run games at 1080p60. VR is more demanding, so compromises have to be made. If they compromise as much as they did on PS3 with 3D, the VR experience may suffer to the point where it's not quite good enough (for some people who are particularly prone to motion sickness for example).

However, they should be well aware of this and have strict guidelines for developers, so it might not be a problem.

This.

Billen

Banned

A toast for the upcoming PS5! :D

Top Bottom