• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Sony’s VR tech will be revealed at GDC

It never fails to cross my mind and make me chuckle when I see that name but most people here probably weren't even born back then. :)

I was born in 77 and I don't know who that is. I'm assuming he's a glam rock singer or something. Unless that's Kojima back in the 70's.

I played hundreds of Amiga games at 320x200 and had a blast ;)
So did I... well not hundreds, but you know, Pirates, Marble Madness, Sky Fox, Duck Tales, Test Drive, Blood Money, Shadow of the Beast II, Halleys Comet, Lemmings, etc... but that was in 1988.
/thanksdad*

*for the amiga

m@cross

It's the only major shift the industry has seen since we had 3D games with analog input.

I know it's difficult to believe it's anything more than a novelty, but it's unlike anything else.

They need to put out a force feedback headset for a boxing game.... you know where I am going with this.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
As I said in the other thread, a game like Alien Isolation would benefit greatly from this technology. I would LOVE for that game to be seen through VR. Imagine seeing a xenomorph like that!

I'm salivating at the thought.

As I said in the other thread, a game like Alien Isolation would benefit greatly from this technology. I would LOVE for that game to be seen through VR. Imagine seeing a xenomorph like that!

It'd probably be the last time I see or go through any of my five senses.

Handy Fake

And as I said...

A VR version of it would probably cause deaths. To quote Bill Bryson:

“Why, I would die, of course. Literally shit myself lifeless. I would blow my sphincter out my backside like one of those unrolling paper streamers you get at children's parties - I daresay it would even give a merry toot - and bleed to a messy death in my sleeping bag.”

StuBurns

Banned
"Moderate" would be the word you're looking for. I hope this isn't the case though.
Was the EyeToy technically poor for it's time and cost?

The Move is an incredible piece of equipment, I've had serious reservations of it's game design application (at least outside of how applicable it is for VR), but as a piece of hardware, it's very impressive.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mixed feeling about this.
From a gamer stand point this is a truly game changer, just imagining to be able to play something like Demon Soul or GT7 in VR is worth every money they will ask : but this is just me.
Sony has between move and the camera all the resources to have a very compelling experience and i have little doubt they will deliver on this.
On the other side there is the support that this thing will get....
They need 3rd parties on board, indies, they need to broaden their device on the pc market to get even more support, they need to be as open as never before,instead this thing as much as it can be clever, well designed, cheap, will die.

Their PS4 platform *is* open like never before. Even if Sony don't make their solution PC compatible, they will seek out indies that have good VR games and bring them to PS4. Plus I'm sure it'll be kind of compatible with PC, with a bit of tinkering of the drivers side.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any resolution increases we do get will see massive improvement, though. The difference between 720p and 1080p in your living room TV may be quite noticeable, but with a VR headset, that jump should be far, far more noticeable.

I think one of the worries about VR is - who is gonna make these small, super hi res screens? There's apparently a 5" 1440p display being manufactured now but lots of people already question whether that's overkill(since the market for these displays is smartphones, not VR). Obviously Sony has the capabilities, but they cant exactly be running 1440p+ displays with the PS4 hardware.

Yeah, right now they can take advantage of the smartphone arms race, but beyond that there will have to be a transition to VR driving resolution increases, and that would need high volumes to justify.

I wouldn't expect much improvement over the initial panels for a couple of years at least. But then it'll take that long for developers to start to form the language of VR, all of this will be one grand experiment.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Eyetoy was 2003. I think that any tech that was running on a Ps2 and using image recognition to do kinect like input back then should be looked on with the suitable context of the time. The fact that Sony have continued to invest in R&D in this area for over ten years is very welcome.

ido

lsxv2i6.gif

StuBurns

Banned
No, they don't. They need to be convincing.
It's not related to budget.

Sony could obviously ship a two grand VR unit with a 120Hz QHD panel and hugely superior optics to OR, but it would sell nine units, and the PS4 couldn't even run it anyway.

To target the limitations of the PS4, and the market tolerance for price, it needs to be very cheap.

The fact that I will only buy one or the other and not both means that it kinda is as I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Yeah, I'm in exactly the same boat. I'll buy one or the other. I just really hope Sony's version ends up working on PC (either with built in support or reverse engineered).

StuBurns

Banned
The fact that I will only buy one or the other and not both means that it kinda is as I'm sure I'm not the only one.
That's like saying PCs compete with consoles, they do, but they benefit each other at the same time. Everything is competing for your entertainment budget, regardless of industry.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
And as I said...

A VR version of it would probably cause deaths. To quote Bill Bryson:

“Why, I would die, of course. Literally shit myself lifeless. I would blow my sphincter out my backside like one of those unrolling paper streamers you get at children's parties - I daresay it would even give a merry toot - and bleed to a messy death in my sleeping bag.”

lol @ the quote.

Were you being serious about the deaths being an issue? People die now from overdoing it on Starcraft. I'll take the risk.

cakefoo

Isn't Richard Marks the guy who invented EyeToy?

Set expectations accordingly.
Isn't this the year 2014 though?

All I know is, whenever Marks is involved in something (Eyetoy, Move), he does a great job on a technical level. With Oculus and Valve and so many big names endorsing VR, I am MORE excited about Marks (and Anton's) potential involvement in the hardware.

beast786

I will be getting both Sony VR and Oculus.

I also already have sony HMD and Oculus Dev kit.

I am a gamer. Its what i do.

StuBurns

Banned
I will be getting both Sony VR and Oculus.

I also already have sony HMD and Oculus Dev kit.

I am a gamer. Its what i do.
I've always wanted to try the HMD, how is it with games?

Ironically, we had an entire generation where 720p was the standard, but 1280x720 monitors/TVs basically don't exist, so if you want PS360 games to look their best, you need a display with per-pixel mapping, and as far as I know, the HMD is basically the only thing.

AustinFelix

Unconfirmed Member
Stupid question, can't see if it's already been asked but is this event going to be streamed? Just i know usually these GDC's aren't.. I really hope so. Also where are the Anton and Dr.Marks gifs? lol

Stupid question, can't see if it's already been asked but is this event going to be streamed? Just i know usually these GDC's aren't.. I really hope so. Also where are the Anton and Dr.Marks gifs? lol

Sony's presentation won't be streamed but it wilk be recorded and unloaded to YouTube later.

Would be nice if Sony and Oculus worked to created a open VR headset standard so different manufacturers could make different headsets that would work for all games that meet that standard and game devs wont have to worry about designing around a bunch of different approaches to the same idea.

Sony is ok about that kind of thing for there other ventures and Oculus is already working with Valve on some things so I hope it happens. Would be silly if people had to buy more then 1 headset.

Sony x Oculus x Valve seem like a good team to push VR once they are all on the same page.

danwarb

Because Sony VR headset will most likely not work on PC's and Oculus will not be coming to consoles.

Sony VR will be limited to simpler looking VR games/modes, whereas Oculus VR should work with most games. We'll not just turn it on in PS4 games, because of the limited hardware.

StuBurns

Banned
Sony x Oculus x Valve seem like a good team to push VR once they are all on the same page.
But that is the point, they're not on the same page. Valve and Oculus are dismissing VR on consoles, and targeting a higher end consumer unit.

This idea of using the PS4 unit on PC is so bizarre, Sony don't want it, and next year when CV Rift is near, PC gamers aren't going to want it.

The only people who would want it then are people who own both platforms, don't want to buy both headsets, but would rather have a worse headset on PC because they want the few VR exclusives on PS4. That's going to be a statistically irrelevant number of people.

BDP

Neo Member
Regardless of who releases it Sony, Oculus or MS. VR doesn't do anything for me.

I guess I'm in the minority.

But that is the point, they're not on the same page. Valve and Oculus are dismissing VR on consoles, and targeting a higher end consumer unit.

This idea of using the PS4 unit on PC is so bizarre, Sony don't want it, and next year when CV Rift is near, PC gamers aren't going to want it.

The only people who would want it then are people who own both platforms, don't want to buy both headsets, but would rather have a worse headset on PC because they want the few VR exclusives on PS4. That's going to be a statistically irrelevant number of people.

They dont have to work together on a pierce of hardware. Just make sure that there are standards in place so that manufactures and customers know that all games work across a range of headsets from diffrent companies.

If Oculus just want to make their own headsets and dont give a fuck about the other companies that will inevitably jump into the market then thats seems a bit short sighted.

You will end up with "I want to play this game with my new VR headset but it only works with the Nvidea headset and not my Rift".

beast786

I've always wanted to try the HMD, how is it with games?

Not worth it.

+ extremely crisp and 3D is wonderful. But the adjustment for interpupillary distance was a pain for me. I would see blurry on the edges and it wont take you out of immersion. It was also hard to read text at the edges. I had T1 and T2 and both were heavy enough to cause problem after a long game play. Plus it give the feeling of you sitting in a theater with screen away from you.

Unlike

Oculus rift, which is pure immersion. The comfort and the weight was perfect for a prototype. Only issue obviously was resolution/screen door effect.

Top Bottom