• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Sony’s VR tech will be revealed at GDC

For me the most scary things in games are when your connection to the world breaks down, wanderingprostheyltite's avatar is a great example. You've played HL2 and it's episodes for probably about fifteen hours, you're driving across a path and suddenly your peripheral vision pulsates and is crippled, and you don't know what it means, and you don't know why it happens, and it's extremely scary. MGS2's AI breakdown did the same thing to such a high standard it still sticks with me, I can still hear the tone of Campbell's voice change twelve years later.

Exactly this. Having some kind of periphery distortion including sounds goes a long ways towards giving you that kind of mental breakdown simulated experience. There was an old PC point and click game called The Dark Eye that used stop motion animated puppets to play out these scenes from various Edgar Allen Poe stories. The game constantly toyed with your perceptions in regards to environment, linear time, and the sanity of your character. There's one scene where you begin to hear the sound of a bird chirping in the distance. The closer you get the louder it becomes, eventually drowning out everything else. And for some reason your view zooms into a fish eye at the climax but it oddly works to detach you from normal thinking.

Amnesia played with this through the sanity meter and the foggy vision with the crinkling noises when in the dark too long, but those effects (at least the visual) probably wouldn't translate as well to VR.

DemonNite

Ok, I think I cracked chubigan's code:

I am here to drop the bombs.

Confirmed Sony VR at the end of the day. Welcome to the world of tomorrow.

DriveClub, Doom 4 (which is now PS4 exclusive), new Guerrilla Games exclusive IP, Skyrim PS4 all support VR.

Xbox is bowing out of the console wars.

Devs are all excited as hell.

So there you have it guys. Y2Kev am cry.

(I'm going to get banned for this, right guys?)

banned before you even get to enjoy the hype

j/k

pswii60

lets not forget that this is a dev show, not consumer... might be expecting too much from Sony to reveal tonight.
It will be a discussion about the VR tech in development, to get developer support and media attention. No final product will be shown, no release date will be announced and there will be no pricing discussed.

S¡mon

Banned
Fuck it, I should go to bed but I'm getting onboard the Night Hype train.

Same thoughts, same thoughts. Than I looked at the clock and I realize there's still 2 hours to go. And than probably a conference of 1 hour. And than 1 hour of taking in all the information that comes out after the conference. So at the earliest, you'll sleep 4 hours from now.

It's a problem, but sometimes you simply have to stay awake and ride the hype train to keep your gaf license.

S¡mon;104905996 said:
Wouldn't it be funny if "Driving The Future Of Innovation" was all about a new PS4 software update? Update 2.0?

And that they are all like "yeah, we've got innovative software" ('Innovation' reference) and "we've got good drivers in the software" ('Driving' reference).
The ultimate stability patch confirmed!

Hope we get some real solid details and not just target render style BS

Shadders

"Driving the Future of Innovation at Sony Computer Entertainment"

Hmmm...

"Driving"?

Hmmm...

New steering wheel controller for PS4!

Case closed.

S¡mon

Banned
When Shu asked how many people were coming to the GDC conference, someone replied "That's virtually impossible."

Then Shu started... laughing... out loud.

zTXbEcm.png

rjinaz

"Driving the Future of Innovation at Sony Computer Entertainment"

Hmmm...

"Driving"?

Hmmm...

New steering wheel controller for PS4!

Case closed.

Nah, they're referring to a golf driver club. It's obvious SCE is announcing they are getting into the sport equipment business. That or some kind of golf simulator...

S¡mon;104907914 said:
When Shu asked how many people were coming to the GDC conference, someone replied "That's virtually impossible."

Then Shu started... laughing... out loud.

zTXbEcm.png
Pretty much confirmed then: Shu is trolling.
Conference will be about integrating Home with Twitch. Mark my words.

syko de4d

even without driveclub, there is Project Cars which will come to PS4 and has already confirmed OR support. So it will get PS4VR for sure, minimum one VR racer this year ;)

Top Bottom