• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*EID MUBARAK!* RAMADAN 2015 |OT| Come with me if you want to fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah, yes of course I did read them lol, might've forgotten a few things but I'm guessing then it is in reference to how ellie is giving the finger which isn't family friendly coz of the profanity?
Thats what I thought for a while too (before this avatar I had a Last Guardian one) until I saw another avatar with two hands doing the finger. lol Since I haven't been banned I guess they're tolerating it. I don't know, do you reckon I should just change it?
It's there but it's a graveyard. Frankly this is the only time of the year where brothers on neogaf get together in a thread, so I don't completely mind a few fiqh discussions here and there :p
Do you mind linking? Just want to check it out.
My hijri conversionversary is coming up :D 9 years or something.
What do you mean by Hijri conversion? Anyways congrats lol

Ah thanks. So it started as a thread trying to clear up misconceptions but judging by the first page didn't go so well. Also did that op have a name change?

I converted during ramadan, so in terms of the Muslim calendar the anniversary of my conversion is just around the corner... in solar years it is not til October.

Oh so you're a revert? MashAllah. Thought you meant it was the anniversary of your hijrah or something which would be weird cause youre from Sydney right? How is it over there by the way?

Thats what I thought for a while too (before this avatar I had a Last Guardian one) until I saw another avatar with two hands doing the finger. lol Since I haven't been banned I guess they're tolerating it. I don't know, do you reckon I should just change it?
eh, if you want. I've seen some avatars that have girls with skimpy outfits and I think those are more nsfwp than yours. It's not as easy to tell. But it's up to you.

Very short, I'm in Melbourne at the moment and it is around 545 til 5:10.
Sounds roughly the same as Perth then. I've always envied the Eids you guys have over in the Eastern states.

I went to Melbourne about a month ago for the first time and went to Sydney road. The amount of halal shops concentrated on that one street was amazing. Theres nothing like that over here.
eh, if you want. I've seen some avatars that have girls with skimpy outfits and I think those are more nsfwp than yours. It's not as easy to tell. But it's up to you.
Yea I'll start thinking about some new ideas.

Ah thanks. So it started as a thread trying to clear up misconceptions but judging by the first page didn't go so well. Also did that op have a name change?
Not sure about the op. Few got banned in gaming side and others for other reasons. Keep in mind that any Islam discussion thread quickly turns to shit on neogaf. Thats why you dont see the OT being active. Its very discouraging.

I'm actually having a somewhat difficult time studying islam at the moment. There's so much junk data out there. I figured I'd start with the Dr. Naik lectures, they seem good enough for now, but for long term, I don't really know where to go.
Dr.Zakir Naik has very reductive arguments and fall apart under scrutiny. Hecomes off as ablowhard too. If you want to study Islam, look for lectures from Sheikh Yasir Qadhi, Hamza Yusuf, Mufti Menk and read the writings of Sheikh Bin Bayyah.

I'm actually having a somewhat difficult time studying islam at the moment. There's so much junk data out there. I figured I'd start with the Dr. Naik lectures, they seem good enough for now, but for long term, I don't really know where to go.

This would depend on where you live and what extent of knowledge you possess. It also depends on what you are aiming to learn... are you looking for fiqh (jurisprudence)? Taareekh (history)? Tazkiah/tasawwuf (spiritual improvement)?

If you want to learn the basics, it's best to find a teacher. If you know the basics and just want general topics, I'd recommend Al-Maghrib or Al-Kawthar courses if you don't have any local schools or places to learn.

The problem with learning Islam online is that you get a bit from each and every group within and outside Islam throwing in their 2 cents and you get a confusing and contradictory picture.

Zakir Naik is only decent as far as interfaith debates are concerned. Beyond that, he is not a classically trained scholar and his opinions with regards to the practice of Islam and the beliefs of Islam are very limited.

If you want to be a long term student, there's no better way than to join an Islamic university/darul uloom, but that can be difficult for most people.

UnPatriot

Banned
Dr.Zakir Naik has very reductive arguments and fall apart under scrutiny. Hecomes off as ablowhard too. If you want to study Islam, look for lectures from Sheikh Yasir Qadhi, Hamza Yusuf, Mufti Menk and read the writings of Sheikh Bin Bayyah.
With all due respect, I would cautious of Hamza Yusuf and avoid Sheikh Bin Bayyah.

Hamza Yusuf lost his back bone a good while ago. Sheikh Bin Bayyah loves to preserve the status quo.

Ryan_MSF

Do you mean you just became Muslim? Tell us your story if you don't mind please.

Thats right and happy to!

Well i was in a car accident a few months back, and ended up in hospital for a few days just to recover. The guy in the bed next to me was muslim and we ended up just chatting and becoming quite good friends. We were talking between ourselves and he was telling me about his background and his religious beliefs - one evening when his family came in he had his wife bring in a spare copy of the Qurʾan for me.

Over the next few days i read through and felt quite moved while reading it. So much of it resonated with me. I asked him loads of questions which he was more than happy to answer for me as best he could. He said that we'd meet up after coming out of hospital and he'd bring me to his local mosque to meet the brothers and they could better answer any questions I had. I spent some time reading more online once i got home and watching some videos online of people giving Dawah. We met up a few weeks later and he brought me, after meeting everyone and feeling very welcome I took shahada that day. It seems like a quick decision but it felt like the right one. Ever since then i've made some great friends in the community who during Ramadan have been really amazing, inviting me to Iftar with them and such.

It's been a great experience so far and i feel like it's the best decision I ever made :)

Well i was in a car accident a few months back, and ended up in hospital for a few days just to recover. The guy in the bed next to me was muslim and we ended up just chatting and becoming quite good friends. We were talking between ourselves and he was telling me about his background and his religious beliefs - one evening when his family came in he had his wife bring in a spare copy of the Qurʾan for me.

Over the next few days i read through and felt quite moved while reading it. So much of it resonated with me. I asked him loads of questions which he was more than happy to answer for me as best he could. He said that we'd meet up after coming out of hospital and he'd bring me to his local mosque to meet the brothers and they could better answer any questions I had. I spent some time reading more online once i got home and watching some videos online of people giving Dawah. We met up a few weeks later and he brought me, after meeting everyone and feeling very welcome I took shahada that day. It seems like a quick decision but it felt like the right one. Ever since then i've made some great friends in the community who during Ramadan have been really amazing, inviting me to Iftar with them and such.

It's been a great experience so far and i feel like it's the best decision I ever made :)

grats

Mabrook habib!

sin2sin

Neo Member

That's such a nice story :) mabrook man :) I hope your first Ramadan is going well :)

Ryan_MSF

thank you brothers, really appreciate it!

It's going well so far, it's certainly a shock to the system at first but i'm trying to make my time worthwhile!

With all due respect, I would cautious of Hamza Yusuf and avoid Sheikh Bin Bayyah.

Hamza Yusuf lost his back bone a good while ago. Sheikh Bin Bayyah loves to preserve the status quo.
If it weren't for Sh. Hamza Yusuf's lectures I don't know where I would have been. I found his videos shine light in my darkest periods when no other could. I have tremendous respect for him and admire him terribly and I'm grateful to the almighty for guiding me during these darkest hours.

If it weren't for Sh. Hamza Yusuf's lectures I don't know where I would have been. I found his videos shine light in my darkest periods when no other could. I have tremendous respect for him and admire him terribly and I'm grateful to the almighty for guiding me during these darkest hours.

Same here, I still remember the first talk I ever heard of his. Back in 2005 at the Reviving Islamic Spirit conference in Toronto. It was on Andalus (Islamic Spain). I had never heard Islam presented in such a way. Changed my life.

Alhamdulillah I've had the opportunity to meet him couple times and also people who have studied with him. Those who claim he has changed do not know him. His message is exactly the same as it was back in the 90s.

I have to second those who say 'find a shaykh'. YouTube videos are nothing on the benefit of having a scholar who you sit at the feet of and learn from. That is how Islam has classically been transmitted and it is the method in which the Prophet (sullAllahu alayhi wasalaam) and the companions and those who followed them adopted.

Learn the basics, an introduction to fiqh in your madhab, an introduction to aqidah etc. these things are often neglected by people who are beginning to learn.

If learning with a teacher is impossible for whatever reason, doing classes (as opposed to listening to lectures online) can be very beneficial. SeekersHub does some.

Where are you based?

I wouldn't look to Shaykh Hamza for my politics but he isn't a political scientist so it makes sense. When Mashaykh speak upon things outside of their discipline it is important to recognise that they are laymen for those things. You wouldn't listen to a dentist if you broke your leg, or a scholar only of hadith if you wanted to learn aqidah, so when scholars speak politics or science or whatever, I find it best to take it with a grain of salt.

We don't have to completely agree with how a scholar approaches political issues. Shaykh Hamza Yusuf and Shaikh bin Bayyah are great scholars. With regards to Shaykh Hamza Yusuf, we should take what he says in the public fora comprised primarily of non-Muslims as being diplomatic.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
tonight will be squats...1 hour after iftar.

I gotta maintain the little muscle mass I have throughout ramadan.

God speed brother. I tried 90% of my 1RM 5x5 on squats after iftar and felt like super nauseated. Gonna eat light on iftar, hit the gym, then come back home and finish iftar lol.

All you guys that hit the gym after Iftar/Taraweeh, where do you find the energy???

Usually try to avoid eating too much just enough to give me energy. Main reason I'm going to the gym is to maintain muscle mass, not looking to gain any, just don't want to come out of the month weaker.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
All you guys that hit the gym after Iftar/Taraweeh, where do you find the energy???

Caffeine pills, lots of vitamin D, and the desire to avoid the overwhelming guilt of skipping a workout. And yea, basically try not to stuff yourself during iftar. Just enough carbs and hydration for energy. This is for weightlifting though. I have no idea about cardio stuff.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
thank you brothers, really appreciate it!

It's going well so far, it's certainly a shock to the system at first but i'm trying to make my time worthwhile!

*sheds tear*

What a beautiful story v_____________v

Also, people who converted tend---no, not tend, make it always---better at practicing Islam than those who are Muslims in the first place, heh.

I saw a foreigner (we called them "bule" here in Indonesia) in the mosque during one night of Taraweeh and he's--along with his kid---dressed really, really sharply, while I only wore whatever I can find that night. Makes me kind of ashamed, hahah.

Congrats! Having a strong, supportive community around you is the best thing.

*sheds tear*

What a beautiful story v_____________v

Also, people who converted tend---no, not tend, make it always---better at practicing Islam than those who are Muslims in the first place, heh.

I saw a foreigner (we called them "bule" here in Indonesia) in the mosque during one night of Taraweeh and he's--along with his kid---dressed really, really sharply, while I only wore whatever I can find that night. Makes me kind of ashamed, hahah.

Yeah I kind of agree. I guess when you grow up with the faith, you tend to take it for granted. I've also noticed a lot of people kind of muddy the lines between culture and religion. You grow up following the adults around you assuming everything they do are right 'cause you don't know any better.

I'd assume converts do their homework as its a serious commitment.

UnPatriot

Banned

Same here, I still remember the first talk I ever heard of his. Back in 2005 at the Reviving Islamic Spirit conference in Toronto. It was on Andalus (Islamic Spain). I had never heard Islam presented in such a way. Changed my life.

Alhamdulillah I've had the opportunity to meet him couple times and also people who have studied with him. Those who claim he has changed do not know him. His message is exactly the same as it was back in the 90s.

We don't have to completely agree with how a scholar approaches political issues. Shaykh Hamza Yusuf and Shaikh bin Bayyah are great scholars. With regards to Shaykh Hamza Yusuf, we should take what he says in the public fora comprised primarily of non-Muslims as being diplomatic.
Good point. Astagrifullah.

Though I still have to say that Sheikh Bin Bayyah's fatawa on monetary policy are very wrong IMO.

What? Come on, don't left me hanging, hahaha.

At least that's my experience so far comparing Converted vs..., well, let's call it Original. The former always seem more devout and serious about practicing Islam than the latter.

I have noticed the same diversity amongst converts as amongst the wider community. I know some completely non-practicing converts and those whose primary relationship with the religion is on identity grounds. I know some who have turned murtad and others who are very devout.

I guess it is a lack of exposure to the diversity amongst converts that would give you that impression.

Yeah I kind of agree. I guess when you grow up with the faith, you tend to take it for granted. I've also noticed a lot of people kind of muddy the lines between culture and religion. You grow up following the adults around you assuming everything they do are right 'cause you don't know any better.

I'd assume converts do their homework as its a serious commitment.

I think it is important to always recognise that many of the issues facing converts are the same as those faced by those born into the religion. There is always, convert or not, an active choice to engage or disengage with religious belief and practice. Converts have their own cultures too, and sometimes I think that white converts in particular allow their own culture to creep in more than most because they imagine it to be invisible.

Good point. Astagrifullah.

Though I still have to say that Sheikh Bin Bayyah's fatawa on monetary policy are very wrong IMO.

There's a lot of scholars who have said things based on their own understanding. Not every scholar is an expert in every field.

I am not familiar with this fatwa of his. If it is anything like Shaykh Qaradawi's fatwa with regards to mortgages, etc., then we can disagree with him on that point, just how we can disagree with any scholar on a number of points. The only reason to really avoid someone is if they hold strange beliefs (e.g. Qadianiyyah) and promote things that are completely outside the fold of Islam (e.g. mixed congregational prayers with women "imams").

UnPatriot

Banned
So many Muslims are falling completely into secular liberal ideologies. I honestly think it's a greater poison than ISIS/IS/ISIL

There's a lot of scholars who have said things based on their own understanding. Not every scholar is an expert in every field.

I am not familiar with this fatwa of his. If it is anything like Shaykh Qaradawi's fatwa with regards to mortgages, etc., then we can disagree with him on that point, just how we can disagree with any scholar on a number of points. The only reason to really avoid someone is if they hold strange beliefs (e.g. Qadianiyyah) and promote things that are completely outside the fold of Islam (e.g. mixed congregational prayers with women "imams").

Yah I made a mistake by saying to avoid them....arguing with Muslims on twitter has made me very defensive.

Sheikh Bin Bayyah's fatwa was about paper (fiat) currency. He said it was permissible if didn't cause inflation.

Here is a good rebuttal of the fatwa.

Anon67

Ottomanm, if it makes you feel any better, I just disregarded my own culture entirely. I kind of have no culture and just roll with Islam.
BTW this is a very isolating thing to do, as I barely mix in with anyone if at all.

Wow. I don't see why you'd do that. Disregarding parts of it, sure, but all of it? Dang. Can I ask why?

So many Muslims are falling completely into secular liberal ideologies. I honestly think it's a greater poison than ISIS/IS/ISIL
Hmm could you elaborate on this? I'm curious.

Ottomanm, if it makes you feel any better, I just disregarded my own culture entirely. I kind of have no culture and just roll with Islam.
BTW this is a very isolating thing to do, as I barely mix in with anyone if at all.
But at the very moment you're a part of this gaming culture..
Boy, have I got some stories for you...
Yea I know a convert who said he only started to listen to music when he become a Muslim lol. Though he doesn't any more.

I think it is important to always recognise that many of the issues facing converts are the same as those faced by those born into the religion. There is always, convert or not, an active choice to engage or disengage with religious belief and practice. Converts have their own cultures too, and sometimes I think that white converts in particular allow their own culture to creep in more than most because they imagine it to be invisible.

Thats fair. I guess in my case I've only met "model converts", or haven't really spent time with converts outside of community or religious events so I might have some rose tinted impressions. Its kind of cool that everyone struggles and tries to do better.

Ashes

Banned
I've been seeing many Muslims, especially the youth adopting world views and ideologies which contradict Islam. Secular liberalism seems to be unifying theme.

On twitter so many Muslims women (especially the young ones) openly endorse LGBT rights, intersectional feminism and transgenderism. When you question them, they justify they're support of these movements with secular logic (i.e. it's their choice).

They don't understand that many of the underlying principles upon which secular liberalism is founded upon aren't congruent with Islam.

These are some helpful things that I've read/watched to help me understand this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5UTDzfS0Wc (Sheikh Abdul Hakim Murad)

http://abdullahalandalusi.com/2015/...l-democracy-and-the-islamic-worldview-part-2/

Do you live in a secular democracy?

edit: With all due respect, I've watched about seventeen minutes of the youtube video, when does Winters get to secular liberalism? He's talking about post modernity mostly.

edit: So I watched all 24 minutes. He talks about post modernity, reflecting on high culture losing its meaning; before moving to economic destitution, and lots of other stuff. Interesting perspective though it may be, he defines neither secular democracy nor argues in favour of a Islamic versions of secular democracies or counter versions to it such as theocracies and/or dictatorships.
& this is all in the promotion of his book... I don't mind Winters, talks a lot of sense sometimes ... but talk about irony...
edit: as to secular liberalism it self he cites an example or two of taking god out of the picture; in one instance he uses Noah the film as an example.

This isn't exactly what secular liberalism is. nor in it's cultural sense nor more on a political front.
Perhaps you would be better to cite examples where secular liberalism, which gives platforms to air opinions both for and against religion, is worse than ISIS raping and pillaging Muslims senselessly in an armed conflict with no peace in sight. Or maybe you're too distant from warfare to recognise its true horrors.

Anon67

Perhaps you would be better to cite examples where secular liberalism, which gives platforms to air opinions both for and against religion, is worse than ISIS raping and pillaging Muslims senselessly in an armed conflict with no peace in sight. Or maybe you're too distant from warfare to recognise its true horrors.

I think what he means is that Muslims accepting these liberal ideals will damage the religion in the long run, which may be more detrimental for the Muslim umma than ISIS doing its thing for the time being.

Khal_B

Guys, Arkham Knight is out...what to do...maybe take a little gametime after Taraweeh...dunno, I'm feeling kinda bad to play it, but I'm so tempted.

Splatoon got me through the weekend too. But I have a habit of licking my lips whenever I get really into multiplayer games so that made me even thirstier once I was done. My mouth looked like a warboy's from Mad Max haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom