• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree No Summon Hardcore Git Gud Club

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I am in the "if my summon can solo you then you aren't worth my time club", but the dual +10 frost-bleed cross-naginatas and +10 envoy's bubble blower with stacked buffs can melt most bosses in seconds.
Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

P.S. I think the dual sword phantom banished knights in Castle Sol are harder than any boss. They scare me enough to bring out the fingerprint shield.

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member

You proved my point as the demonstration leans heavily on Night Comet to make up for Azur Comet's FP extravagance in Phase 1 and after the infinite FP crystal tear buff wears off the player has to chug flasks of Cerulean Tears like crazy. The player even says "It's not working..." when Malenia hops out of the stream of Azur's Comet. Envoy Horn's Bubble Blower skill can do all that and more for a tiny FP investment.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
EviLore EviLore so, let me get this straight, right... You're saying that if we won't be using any summons, weapon arts, co-op and suffer through all this horror and misery, beat all the bosses on our own with only our trusty weapons, spells and skill...

giphy.gif

You'll ask Emily Blunt to hug us, shake our hand and kiss us on the cheek (which we'll never wash ever again after), give us a plastic bag with the air of that day when it happened so that we could hang it on the wall and never forget?

giphy.gif

Antwix

Yep I'm in. I beat my first playthrough using spirit ashes but when I finished the game I looked back and realized I should've just spent a bit more time learning the fights. Almost every boss was a cakewalk with summons. Each subsequent playthrough has been summonless.

Super hypedddddd

Lokaum D+

You proved my point as the demonstration leans heavily on Night Comet to make up for Azur Comet's FP extravagance in Phase 1 and after the infinite FP crystal tear buff wears off the player has to chug flasks of Cerulean Tears like crazy. The player even says "It's not working..." when Malenia hops out of the stream of Azur's Comet. Envoy Horn's Bubble Blower skill can do all that and more for a tiny FP investment.
you can away drop a mimic to tank the "agile" boss then proceeds to melt him with comet azur, you also can use night and flame to mitigate comet azur FP drain, there is always a way.

Last edited:
I play offline so no online help for me at all. As for AI summons, I only used the jellyfish summon for a handful of fights with multiple bosses because the distraction helped occasionally while doing minimal damage.

Fbh

I intend on doing this.
But to be honest that was also my intention with the base game and while I did so for 99% of the content, Melenia and her shitty whirlwind attack broke me and I did end up using ash summons

Fbh

I ended up killing her using the Rivers of Blood which took me quite a few tries. Hardest boss in the whole game.

Hardest boss in any souls game IMO.
But I didn't really like the fight that much, it felt uncharacteristically cheap compared to most other challenging souls bosses. Waterfowl Dance Attack is just super annoying and unintuitive to avoid. And while yes, you can go online and find consistent strategies to avoid it, IMO if you are looking up guides you might as well just start summoning players too.

Sword Saint Isshin is still the GOAT of all boss fights IMO

Majukun

first a question, did performance improve since the game came out?
i had constant stuttering at rabndom times that made trying to play with any kind of finesse and useless proposition

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
I did this for Dark Souls 1 and 2, big sword, nothing else.

But from 3 on I just stopped caring lol, I use all the mechanics and summon people like it’s going out of style now. If only days were 36 hours instead.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That was basically my experience with Elden Ring when it first released because at that time I didn’t even know where the mimic tear was.

I don't know how summoners can even dare show their faces in public. This guy at work is both an INT spammer AND a summoner. The cuckery..

Hudo

Gold Member
If you are not dual-wielding the Grafted Blade Greatsword with the Greatsword while being naked (so that you don't fat roll), you're playing the game wrong.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Friendly reminder that if you:
  • Used spirit ashes.
  • Summoned for help.
  • Used a shield.
  • Used parries of any kind.
  • Wore any sort of armor.
  • Used any item including crimson tears.
  • Had the audicity to level up even once.
  • Didn't subject yourself to a lobotomy before starting the game.
You did NOT beat the game. Also please go see a doctor to get your testosterone levels checked.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I beat the first boss you encounter without leveling, because I guess I went in another direction, opposite of Melina, LOL. Anyway, took 4 hours and probably a quarter of my THC Pen. The first boss I fought was Margit? Not sure if he is the defacto, but it is what it is.
Fast forward, I enjoyed a lot of these boss fights, but one of the most intriguing and a wonder to watch. One of few bosses where if I'd die? I wouldn't even care. I hope they do more presentations like this boss:
elden-ring-how-to-beat-astel-boss-fight-featured_feature.jpg

I had fun with this guy and his Reskin.
Radahn was also a good boss. Malekith The Black Blade, Lichdragon Fortissex, Dragonlord Placidusax are all notable bosses.
No summons, no ashes, tears. Nothing like that. I also barely beat it a few months ago. It was too big of a game for me to sit through in a few tries.
Massive.
For me, I want to go through the game again using an OP Magic build. I'm done with taking the cactus dildo on purpose.

EruditeHobo

I can't fucking wait to try out the light greatswords. That type of weapon seems right up my alley. Also will do wonders for my fallen-and-risen-again paladin headcannon.

Love this. Hoping for some kind of pseudo-Excalibur, because my character headcannon going into DLC is some kind of Robin Hood/Arthurian adventurer!

And I will try to not use any summons... but reserve to right to devolve into a total soyboy by using ashes... but only for RP/character lore! I must be able to call on my noble knights & merry men! So no tear. Which makes it better IMO.

At least, that's what I'll tell myself...

Can't wait to get into it! 29 hours to go.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Friendly reminder that if you:
  • Used spirit ashes.
  • Summoned for help.
  • Used a shield.
  • Used parries of any kind.
  • Wore any sort of armor.
  • Used any item including crimson tears.
  • Had the audicity to level up even once.
  • Didn't subject yourself to a lobotomy before starting the game.
You did NOT beat the game. Also please go see a doctor to get your testosterone levels checked.
This makes my erdtree so fucking hard

Tarin02543

I’m gonna play offline and with unlocked framerate and with native HDR (no added HDR latency) and with Nvidia Reflex for that ultimate ultra responsive experience so that I may defeat everything by myself

winjer

FFS, finally beat Mogh on solo, no summons. This was a tough one.
I hate that his attacks are so delayed, so at first I was dodging too soon, straight into the attack.

Dynasty8

Went the whole way without summoning, including soling Radahn.

I was like 160 hours in and aged 60+ years at that point, started smoking cigarettes, developed PTSD and started therapy....was totally worth it..... But I caved at Malenia after beating the game.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I've just realised I'm on new game plus so it will be interesting to see how different it is. I wish there was a way of working out what level for each new game plus level.

GHG

FFS, finally beat Mogh on solo, no summons. This was a tough one.
I hate that his attacks are so delayed, so at first I was dodging too soon, straight into the attack.

Yeh took me a couple of hours to take him down solo.

The delays on his attacks in his first phase can trick you and then his second phase is full of all sorts of bullshit.

Definitely one of the tougher bosses because of how hostile he can make the floor of the arena.

Even Radahn and Melenia are easier to solo IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom