• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Independently confirms source that the PS4.5 is real, referred as PS 4K

Man

Said it before, I'll say it again - I don't like this one bit. Makes me extremely reluctant to purchase a console at launch ever again if there's bound to be a superior iteration of it released in two/three years time.
There's no more 'cycle launches'. There will probably be a new console every three years now with backwards and forwards compatability.

I doubt we are going to see any performance improvements in an iterative console like this, I think it will just support what Eurogamer mentioned (support for 4K, HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 and HDR and a new 4K BluRay player) with enhanced multimedia capabilities being the focus (bundled with the BluRay Remote etc.).

As for games, they will be exactly the same as PS4 games currently. The only exception might be an update to the SDK to allow UI elements to be rendered at 4K on top of the regular framebuffer at 1080p so the UI/HUD doesn't look blurry. They may also throw in some new hardware solution to do the best possible upscale.

This sounds about right actually.

Said it before, I'll say it again - I don't like this one bit. Makes me extremely reluctant to purchase a console at launch ever again if there's bound to be a superior iteration of it released in two/three years time.

Did you ever own Nintendo consoles? I'm wondering if this contributes at all to the major divide between player responses.

Like, when I bought a 3DS, I bought it knowing that a superior version would be out in two years. Then I bought a 3DS XL. Then I bought a New 3DS.

I will buy every console upgrade for every system I own for the rest of my life. Maybe I'm conditioned to do that. But, having grown up with this, it's something I really enjoy. And the fear that it's going to cost you another $400 to upgrade is not accurate at all. You sell your old console and majorly reduce the upgrade cost as a result.

Dazza

Option 3 I'm betting,

Just 4K specced output on HDMI to coincide with the finalization and rollout of 4K Bluray and other playback devices.

Pure 4K gaming is a bridge too far, unless it's something slightly higher than 1080p and upscaled the rest of the way

psychotron

I'm with the thinking that 4k gaming on it will not happen, but if it is going to be used to boost performance to current games/allow more power for future games, I'm in. Though, I'm not really happy about it. You could end up with a 3DS vs N3DS situation where new games are built around the more powerful hardware, even though they still run (shitty) on the old hardware.

LordRaptor

Why would they even bother to add more gpu performance when it sounds like 4k media is the only feature?

And god damn people, they're not going to complicate psvr by integrating a cheapo $25 breakout box into the console and selling a psvr sku without it. The headset is all the cost of psvr and it can't be "integrated".

If PSVR takes off, why wouldn't they integrate the breakout box and sell an SKU with the headset included?

bomblord1

Banned
The "Shrink the die and unlock the 2 locked computational units in the GPU" sounds like the most reasonable thing here. They are probably just shooting for 4k 60fps support as a display option for media not a target for games.

11% performance increase with a slim chassis is along the lines of things Sony has done in the past.

I have no interest in VR or 4K, so if it doesn't offer an FPS improvement to older titles -- or newer ones and just gives visual boost then I'll settle for the original PS4 instead.

Hopefully the original gets a huge price cut.

Well the silly rumour from Kotaku suggested that was the case and then that random supposed insider on Gaf intimated that was the case too. All while I suggested it would be impossible to achieve looking at current tech.

Kotaku..... You might as well go to the local zoo if you want sh*t thrown at you. They have gotten out of control with the amount of factless rumors they are sending out.

Why not just skip an iteration every two or three years then ?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Like I said in the last thread, anybody who doesn't want this just sounds selfish to me.

Your PS4 games will still work. Your future PS4 games will still work. You don't like this cause you don't want to spend money for the best product? That's fine, but why keep it from everybody else?!?

Slim models happen every gen now, and some come with more benefits other than a size cut.
Why not just skip an iteration every two or three years then ?
Because he wants everyone on the same playing field, and not to feel like his hardware is inferior.

IvanJ

Banned
Did you ever own Nintendo consoles? I'm wondering if this contributes at all to the major divide between player responses.

Like, when I bought a 3DS, I bought it knowing that a superior version would be out in two years. Then I bought a 3DS XL. Then I bought a New 3DS.

I will buy every console upgrade for every system I own for the rest of my life. Maybe I'm conditioned to do that. But, having grown up with this, it's something I really enjoy.

It's great that you enjoy it, it's your choice.
But to me that is pure waste of money. Buying something with slight improvements while the previous version still works fine.

Nipo

If the uhd playback is on par with oppos offering this fall that would be great. One box instead of needing two.

Sanctuary

Lots and lots of people.

Lots and lots of people that would only need to think for less than a minute to realize that the prospect is completely unrealistic. You're talking about a $1000 console minimum. At that price range, you're looking at an extremely niche market, and I'm not sure Sony would actually bother if that were the case.

Bgamer90

Banned
Like I said in the last thread, anybody who doesn't want this just sounds selfish to me.

Your PS4 games will still work. Your future PS4 games will still work. You don't like this cause you don't want to spend money for the best product? That's fine, but why keep it from everybody else?!?

100% agree.

driver116

There's no more 'cycle launches'. There will probably be a new console every three years now with backwards and forwards compatability.

As long as this is exactly the case, I'd have no problem with them going this route. Especially when I think about how I spent 6 years of my life on one hardware iteration.

Kezen

Banned
Dude, is this in your wildest dreams or something? :p

Anyway, on a more serious note, this is next to impossible. Hypothetically speaking, even if the upgraded console has a GPU twice as powerful, devs would still have to cater to the lower common denominator, which is the OG PS4. There is no way Sony will abandon support for the OG PS4. So I suggest you be patient, enjoy the visual upgrades the PC versions bring and wait for next gen.

Hardware stagnation is my arch enemy, so you can imagine how ecstatic I'm at the prospect of more powerful fixed platforms to be released.
I think the time is right for an hardware upgrade, it makes perfect sense considering PS VR and 4K gaming on the rise.

Option 3 would crush me, honestly.

SerTapTap

People there's a slide on psvr about how psvr's advantage is build once send to 36 million people. They did not announce psvr for normal ps4 only to have it suck and only work right on a new install base starting at 0 million

Option 2 "older games may run better" is stupid, can't believe they wrote this.
It's possible but basically only for unlocked frame rates. A rare few psp games run better on vita or overclocked psp like maverick hunter x.

But no one is going to update their game to run better on new hardware. Even Nintendo didn't bother to do that on new 3ds

When I want to (or have to) upgrade my gaming machine I can buy a PC. And that's exactly what I'm going to do if this rumor is right.

The thing is, you still upgrade for a newer console already. Except that sometimes, you lose your older games. I just see a win-win situation. If there's no game you want at launch, you wait for the revision and get it.

It's great that you enjoy it, it's your choice.
But to me that is pure waste of money. Buying something with slight improvements while the previous version still works fine.

I guess, when I really think about it, I do understand you. I'm still rocking my iPhone 5S and feel little pressure to upgrade. This reveals that I treat gaming differently, and I can see how other people wouldn't.

c0de

Option 2 "older games may run better" is stupid, can't believe they wrote this.

It's not.
"Conceivably, older games may run more smoothly by default, or could be patched to access the newer hardware."
I don't see anything wrong here but I think patches will be necessary and not optional.

It's not.
"Conceivably, older games may run more smoothly by default, or could be patched to access the newer hardware."
I don't see anything wrong here but I think patches will be necessary and not optional.

Depents if they used a 30 FPS limit.

I hope that, if real, they give us the option to play at 1080 @ 60 on games that ain't targeting that on a regular PS4. I mean, is a more powerful hardware so it should be possible.

while more GPU power is being offered to developers, realistically it is nowhere near enough to provide native 4K gaming at the same quality level as current 1080p titles.

ok, so it's a new SKU that also enables 4K output via HDMI but still with similar processing capabilities as the current PS4. Not a PS4.5 (which would imply a substantial upgrade, like, running on current high end pc specs) but more like PS4.1, useful for those with 4K TVs.

I'm fine with that. Although it seems like it could potentially run games optimized for PS4 a bit more stable, too.

Qurupeke

Hmm, I like scenario 3 the most. In any case, all of these seem to point that it won't have exclusive features, other than 4K, and the question is, how good it will handle it.

Solrac

the only ps4 exclusive that runs very bad right now is bloodborne, and i dont see a new ps4k for 400$/€, running games like U4/BB at 60fps

pottuvoi

Banned
As long as they get proper support for Ultra HD Blu-rays and everything it brings with the spec, I'm good. (Even with identical processing power, like in previous generations.)

If developers can access new features, to games the biggest would be HDR12 output.
4k at 60hz could certainly be nice for some games, mostly used for GUI and possibly resolved image from 1080p buffer.

Zen/Polaris/HBM2 APU certainly sounds fun, but architectures are quite bit different so I'm not sure how GNM and low level optimizations would translate.
I'm sure that developers would love the increase in CPU performance..

I hope that, if real, they give us the option to play at 1080 @ 60 on games that ain't targeting that on a regular PS4. I mean, is a more powerful hardware so it should be possible.

It's not that simple, to play a game in 60fps that previously ran in 30fps in the base model you'll need a big upgrade, not something marginal which seens to be the case.

LordRaptor

That would be in the 3rd model of PS4, no way it's happening with this one.

Okay, let's look at this logically;
- Some additional hardware is required to output 4K media
- Some additional hardware is required to work with PSVR

It makes a lot of manufacturing sense that if you're doing a hardware revision to cover one thing, that you might as well cover both at the same time.
The only people that 'miss out' are the early adopters who bought the non-4K PS4s and the breakout box-required PSVR bundles. But they're early adopters, they don't get to complain about things like later hardware revisions, and will also probably be the first people lining up to buy the new SKU anyway.

Blueblur1

I want it for similar reasons. I would love to see SFV on PS4 without the massive shadow dithering and frame drops.

ok, so it's a new SKU that also enables 4K output via HDMI but still with similar processing capabilities as the current PS4. Not a PS4.5 but more like PS4.1, useful for those with 4K TVs.
I'm fine with that. Although it seems like it could run games optimized for PS4 a bit more stable, too.

That sounds like a logical step, maybe give devs access to a couple of ps4.1 only
api. Or maybe the extra performance can be used to provide custom upscalers from
1080p to 4k.

Lucreto

It is just media I reckon nothing to do with the gaming side.

4K Bluray and possibly be able to run 4K Netflix in the future.

You can't expect an improvement in gaming terms. If they give a hardware boost then developers will try and use it which could mean the will have more framerate issues for the original PS4.

Then it could open Pandoras box and people will want fully backwards compatible PS4 with 4K

It's not that simple, to play a game in 60fps that previously ran in 30fps in the base model you'll need a big upgrade, not something marginal which seens to be the case.
Yeah, I get it. Some games will probably perform better and that'll be it. I just want some benefits for those not interested on 4K yet.

DJRwDlD.gif

Its_true_all_of_it.0.gif

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt we are going to see any performance improvements in an iterative console like this, I think it will just support what Eurogamer mentioned (support for 4K, HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 and HDR and a new 4K BluRay player) with enhanced multimedia capabilities being the focus (bundled with the BluRay Remote etc.).

As for games, they will be exactly the same as PS4 games currently. The only exception might be an update to the SDK to allow UI elements to be rendered at 4K on top of the regular framebuffer at 1080p so the UI/HUD doesn't look blurry. They may also throw in some new hardware solution to do the best possible upscale.
They could possibly integrate the PSVR box so they could sell PSVR headsets cheaper and make use of a newer process for the APU. So many logical possibilities that I'm now convinced that's what this thing is going to be.

Am I mistaken in thinking that games of the late-7th gen stopped testing with phat PS3s so games like GTAV and TLOU ended up breaking/bricking/overheating those consoles?
I had both games and neither broke my phatty.
In fact it's still going strong.
I hope these new upgraded consoles don't stretch the gen, I'm ready for a 2018 PS5 or Xbox two

Exactly this.

Besides Exclusives, (most of which this gen I can live without) the reason I play console instead of PC is ease of use/pick up and play etc. and that I only have to worry abotu upgrades every 5-6 years.

If that goes then there's no real reason for me to buy consoles anymore, I'll just get a PC.

And skip out on the console exclusives? Okay. If those don't matter to you, then you should have switched to PC a long time ago.

Sounds more like a revision than a big upgrade. I imagine all games would benefit slightly from this, especially PSVR, but not enough to warrant making games exclusively for this version.

Kezen

Banned
Kotaku's sources explicitly mentioned games running at 4k.
So this is really a hardware revision.

Option 1 it is.

Top Bottom