• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV's future updates adjust chapters, add cutscenes, add playable characters, more

Hahaha wtf is this. It's not on the same level as 'games need patches nowadays'. Those games are content completed whether they needed patches or not. The patches are generally for bug & performance fixes and whatnot. This is like adding essential story elements. My PS4 will be arrived tomorrow. I wonder if I should start playing or wait for this update. It sounds like it won't come out anytime soon so I guess that settles it.

Is the mention of the
ring
and
ravus
a big spoiler or is it not a big deal? Just came across that in th post and was curious?

I think it's hilarious that they have a mainline Final Fantasy game that's literally an MMORPG, and yet they are still trying to shoehorn in multiplayer into this, which, I'm sorry, really doesn't work with how the game is constructed.

How can a single player game literally be a massively multiplayer online game?

How is it literally a Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game?

But lol @ Websters. What a bunch of goofs.

Read the sentence again. :)

Not stating XV is an MMO

filly

How about making your short term goal to fix the frame pacing issues on the PS4 standard and pro default modes??!!!!

Permanently A

Surprised at all the "WOW WHAT A MESS" posts.

Would you rather bitch about the shitty parts of the game forever? I think its really fucking cool they're revisiting single player content post launch. I can't remember the last time that happened.

Mario007

If there wasn't so much nostalgia in the mix the game would have been savaged in reviews especially for the battle system and vapid overworld.

For the most part exploring is barely rewarding.

But hey you can listen to all your final fantasy tunes and reminisce about the good ol days.

Funny that the overworld and the battle systems are the two things praised in the reviews.

Zedark

I see a number of people here are being rather cynical about this. But I really like what's in the core game, so I'm stoked they're adding more. I mean, you definitely get your money's worth with the core package, so them adding free updates that will freshen up a second run is fine in my book.

I'm most hyped about more story cutscenes (including new Ravus scenes, as per the example in the press release!), and being able to play what I presume are the guest characters (Cor, Iris, Aranea). I wonder if "play them" means adding them to your party or actually controlling them directly?

The other stuff sounds nice, too, like the New Game Plus, low-level runs, online events, etc. Like someone else said, a bestiary with a model viewer would be nice.

This is seriously amazing. Very pleased. It's also rather bold of them to announce this now, since it might cause some people to hold off a purchase for the time being.

That's how I look at it. I think the base package we have right now is great, but we can see that the clipping of the trilogy into one game left some holes in the story. That they are working on filling them to some extent is pretty nice, looking forward to it for my new game plus playthrough!

I will say that I only think it is acceptable in this case, where a trilogy got compressed into one game, due to the nature of the project being a condensation. I won't be quite as accepting of it if they make this a standard for regular projects going forward. It definitely shouldn't become a standard for game development.

Edit: I have a short-term goal for them:
Fix the goddamn Adamantoise fight! I absolutely loathe being kicked out of the battle arena after an hour of fighting due to some bug and having to start the whole fight over!

I..really liked the Leviathan fight? Why do people hate it again? I can't keep up on all the reasons people have for this game being a mess.

It seems people expected a real traditional fight and didn't like the set-piece approach. The Leviathan fight was one of my favorite bits of the game personally.

Would you rather bitch about the shitty parts of the game forever? I think its really fucking cool they're revisiting single player content post launch. I can't remember the last time that happened.

It's clear that they rushed this game at the end. They're not revisiting the content. They're doing what they should've been doing before releasing the game last week.

The real lesson is that XVI needs to spend less time on stuff square doesn't know how to do (fairly empty open worlds) and more on what they are good at (fantastic looking cutscenes, melodramatic fantasy, having the main character's love interest in the party...) Chapter 13's length alone is unacceptable. Final Fantasy is not MGS, nor is it a survival horror. Jumpscares? Awful stealth mechanics? Really?

Also, most importantly (end game spoiler)
Tabata's kill em' all bit is getting tired. It worked here I guess. I was sad and depressed and still don't want to go back for a little bit because it affected me, but honestly I don't want to see that again. I feel like Noctis, nor his companions, no one at all had to deal with the consequences of years of empire colonization, restoring order, etc. It's kind of just an emotionally manipulative cop out

blessed be the day we are done with Fabula Nova Crystallis

Honestly? no, because i tried to see the issue with the game as possibly something i couldn't fully understand, something i had to come to temrs with, because well, the game ended up being this way, that's the reason why it was released and sold to the public, tjis was their vision

LIke, ok, the game has flaws, the story is a mess, and a lot of other things, but when the developer comes forward and basically says " oh yeah, we will add content that miiiight have supposed to be in the game to begin with, and oh yeah, it might change the experience you get from the story" feels like a low move, because you're not only forcing the fans who purchased the game on day one.. or week one, to play the game again or to wait for the release (with no ETA), you are basically telling them the additional content will, in certain way, change the whole experience, which should have been there on day one

I thank for the possibility of the avatar customization (considering the online features will require it), that's really cool, but new scenes? new playable characters? (this one is ok as long as they don't add some story as to why they are playable and the only way to access those chapters is by replaying the whole game again...)

The experience won't change considerably from these changes, that much is clear. A couple of extra cutscenes really won't fundamentally alter things, these are all relatively superficial things.

If these changes really bother you that much, you could at least finish the game as is and pretend these changes aren't coming. Then you can just come to terms with the state of the game as is and there you go. They're not MAKING you stick around until these updates drop.

This makes me want to stop playing until at least mid-term goals are done (just finishing chapter 10). Good thing I have that save at one critical point, I don't think I'd have the energy to do all those side quests a second time by starting a new game.

I'm glad they are fixing problems, but I feel a bit sad to know that if I continue I'll only get a partial experience.

All I have left in this game is the 99 dungeon and the 99 hunts. Oh, and the scraps of paper (which I'm never going to do). NG+ is going to be worthless for me pretty soon.

Strings

Sigh, what a huge waste of resources. I wish they'd have just put this title behind them and started fresh. At best, it's going to go from bad to acceptable.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
The experience won't change considerably from these changes, that much is clear. A couple of extra cutscenes really won't fundamentally alter things, these are all relatively superficial things.

If these changes really bother you that much, you could at least finish the game as is and pretend these changes aren't coming. Then you can just come to terms with the state of the game as is and there you go. They're not MAKING you stick around until these updates drop.

No, but if I'd known large changes to story content were coming I wouldn't have bought or played the game to begin with. By making large changes to story content after release I feel like I wasted my time and money. I would've waited if this information had come out sooner

eugh. I just got the game and now I'm going to feel like I'm missing out for doing any sort of progress.

NG+ is going to be worthless for me pretty soon.
There is an NG+? Could I possibly beat the game now, and then after the patches all hit go back to my NG+ file and see what changed in the story?

Will the story make sense if I just play through it now? I don't really see the point of waiting if it is just a couple of scenes and one chapter that becomes better.

Zedark

eugh. I just got the game and now I'm going to feel like I'm missing out for doing any sort of progress.

There is an NG+? Could I possibly beat the game now, and then after the patches all hit go back to my NG+ file and see what changed in the story?

That's the idea, I'd think. They are going to introduce it in a patch.

Nerokis

Hahaha wtf is this. It's not on the same level as 'games need patches nowadays'. Those games are content completed whether they needed patches or not. The patches are generally for bug & performance fixes and whatnot. This is like adding essential story elements. My PS4 will be arrived tomorrow. I wonder if I should start playing or wait for this update. It sounds like it won't come out anytime soon so I guess that settles it.

To me, these points feel super context-dependent. Like, is this a discussion we have had on a more significant, long-term level, or are we deciding from situation to situation what we decide makes for proper post-launch support? And adapting our framework for that to the specific situation that has come up around FFXV?

Because right now we are talking like we can take for granted that this isn't fine, but adding "bug and performance fixes and whatnot" is. This conception of a game being incomplete at launch is quite old, though. It's been applied time and time again to games that got significant QoL updates, performance enhancements, and other things along those lines. "Thanks, beta testers. I'll be picking up the GOTY edition."

I see no proper argument for why, exactly, it isn't merely arbitrary to say that you're crossing the line if you had story scenes. Now, whether FFXV's narrative is fatally flawed/incomplete/whatever is one argument; why would someone be mad, though, at post-launch improvements extending to the narrative direction of a game?

There's a good chance those scenes won't be dramatic improvements to the narrative, anyway. There's a good chance that you'll be getting significantly more bang for your buck from the various gameplay-related improvements they're likely to make over the next handful of months.

Ray Down

Banned

NG+ isn't up yet, will be sometime in December.

Bahaha. Glad I decided not to touch this game with a barge pole at launch. I'll wait until the GOTY complete story edition is released before playing.

Hazmat

The problem is that it's clear that they know that they released a poorly tested and unfinished product. No one is complaining that they're fixing things, they're complaining that the game was released in this state at all.

Mario007

The real lesson is that XVI needs to spend less time on stuff square doesn't know how to do (fairly empty open worlds) and more on what they are good at (fantastic looking cutscenes, melodramatic fantasy, having the main character's love interest in the party...) Chapter 13's length alone is unacceptable. Final Fantasy is not MGS, nor is it a survival horror. Jumpscares? Awful stealth mechanics? Really?

Also, most importantly (end game spoiler)
Tabata's kill em' all bit is getting tired. It worked here I guess. I was sad and depressed and still don't want to go back for a little bit because it affected me, but honestly I don't want to see that again. I feel like Noctis, nor his companions, no one at all had to deal with the consequences of years of empire colonization, restoring order, etc. It's kind of just an emotionally manipulative cop out

blessed be the day we are done with Fabula Nova Crystallis
We were "done" with FNC since FFXV was announced since FFXV is not an FNC title.

Well not really. That's why they're adding one. You can go "back" and do post game content, but you can't restart the game fresh with stats, etc intact.

We were "done" with FNC since FFXV was announced since FFXV is not an FNC title.
And yet has all the markers and skeleton of one. It's not an "official" FNC title because they didn't want people associating it too heavily with the XIII trilogy.

Go_Ly_Dow

Annoying, but if Konami did this for MGSV people would be take this new with more open arms I feel.

If they didn't make so many heavy changes to the original narrative and characters in the first place tho then they wouldn't have had to scrap literally dozens upon dozens of cutscenes in the first place.....

Keep playing, these patches won't happen for some time. You can just catch them later though New Game Plus.

Or just have a extra save ready for then.

i don't replay games or do new game+, when the credits roll i'm done

i guess i'll just play through it the way it is. sucks because i really feel like these additions would help, the story is a mess and i have no idea what's happening a lot of the time

Oh i get it, the thing is, they kinda are

I'm not saying they are forcing people to just stop playing and wait for the update, but the sole consideration of this option should not be even thought since the game and the original vision should have been released day one

About the cutscenes, we still don't know how radical the change will be, but there will be a change, and can affect in certain level the experience.

Patches and additional content are that, but never should affect the main story which is the main selling point in an RPG, or at least one of the main points, in this case, even thou i agree we do not know how much it will change nor if it will be that important, it's still a thing to consider

Also, pretend the changes aren't coming for a fan of the saga is kinda... a lame comment, because you're basically telling dedicated fans to ignore the "updates" they are doing to a main game in their favorite series

This is a mess, and honestly i understand both sides (fans and developers), it does not mean it is acceptable, nor that it should be ignored...it's just a bad move, it's just a bad experience, and it just keeps giving more bad impressions to some fans

However, i give kudos to the developers for trying, this is not something you see everyday... in both senses...

In the end, it's just an opinion

inner-G

Banned
It's a Final Fantasy for first-timers and veterans alike because once you beat it, you can start over and it's like a whole new game

Mendrox

I..really liked the Leviathan fight? Why do people hate it again? I can't keep up on all the reasons people have for this game being a mess.

Looked like shit and you and that is no exaggeration could just hold O and fuck him up. Also the DBZ moment was also stupid in context to everything. You couldnt even die.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It's a Final Fantasy for first-timers and veterans alike because once you beat it, you can start over and it's like a whole new game

AwXasiP.jpg

Looked like shit and you and that is no exaggeration could just hold O and fuck her up. Also the DBZ moment was also stupid in context to everything. You couldnt even die.

But yes. It wasn't a boss battle. It was an interactive set piece cut scene. If you could keep dying it would fuck up the flow of what the actual point of the whole sequence was about. It's like the MGS4
Microwave scene.
You could die and rewatching FEELS over and over loses impact fast.

Annoying, but if Konami did this for MGSV people would be take this new with more open arms I feel.

If they didn't make so many heavy changes to the original narrative and characters in the first place tho then they wouldn't have had to scrap literally dozens upon dozens of cutscenes in the first place.....

Wait....

You actually believe people would give Konami, of FUCKONAMI fame, a free pass if they did this?

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Pretty sure every single person would be even more cynical in such a case.

I guess I'll just bite the bullet and go ahead and play, and when NG+ hits (which will probably be during my initial playthrough) just use that to revisit the story content if I can.

Yeah, i´m not gonna wait. I wanted to, but no. I´m gonna finish it, so i can be done with this shit show and sell it afterwards. And in the future, if i want, i´ll get the PC version for 2-3€. That will actually be a complete product.

Inviusx

Call me crazy but they don't really sound like critical additions. "Hey were gonna add some more cutscenes" "Hey we're going to tweak the game to make parts more enjoyable" "Hey we're going to add character customization and NG+ to give you a reason to pick it up and play again in the future".

I don't think they are adding anything that should prevent you from wanting to play the game as it is.

I'm glad I'm not a person that plows through games. I've barely started. Time to put this game on ice for a bit.....at least till the December patch.

Alej

Banned
So about those playable characters, it's time to speculate how and who.

I'm thinking we will have a party system? With 3 or 4 characters added? And some sort of a character creator to add one more? Shiiiiiit, it sounds cool.

So, who?
Cid?
Cindy?
Cor? (almost guaranteed?)
Luna? (no?)
Gentiana?
Dave or Dino? xD
Iris?
Talcott?
Character from Kingsglaive?

Omg. What if they add a monster capture mode too? Like FFX-2 and XIII-2? I feel like it is almost evident.

Edit: Araneaaaaa

Neiteio

So about those playable characters, it's time to speculate how and who.

I'm thinking we will have a party system? With 3 or 4 characters added? And some sort of a character creator to add one more? Shiiiiiit, it sounds cool.

So, who?
Cid?
Cindy?
Cor? (almost guaranteed?)
Luna? (no?)
Gentiana?
Dave or Dino? xD
Iris?
Talcott?
Character from Kingsglaive?

Omg. What if they add a monster capture mode too? Like FFX-2 and XIII-2? I feel like it is almost evident.
I imagine it'll be the characters who already fight alongside you, namely Cor and Iris and Aranea. That way you're not limited to their story appearances. I guess you can use them in the post-game?

Top Bottom