• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 19-25 | Started from the bottom, now he's there

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
so much of it is reading players based off character choice from what i skimmed.

that's a little disappointing

He's saying personality as well.

Honestly this is the worst thing to do if you dont know what they can do. Treat a random threat as a top player ALWAYS until things are cleared up.

I act super friendly and scrubby on purpose, being in a wheelchair and playing pad gives an extra layer of illusion. Everyone that fucking puts any doubt gets fucking CRUSHED

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
He's saying personality as well.

Honestly this is the worst thing to do if you dont know what they can do. Treat a random threat as a top player ALWAYS until things are cleared up.

I act super friendly and scrubby on purpose, being in a wheelchair and playing pad gives an extra layer of illusion. Everyone that fucking puts any doubt gets fucking CRUSHED

i remember a few years ago Air was talking about using ryu's fireball as a means of getting information from his opponent.

in VF, that's all you do. i mean, look for information. you can't tell how someone's gonna play just because they pick jeffry or something.

9IBdsSA.gif

Kumubou

i remember a few years ago Air was talking about using ryu's fireball as a means of getting information from his opponent.

in VF, that's all you do. i mean, look for information. you can't tell how someone's gonna play just because they pick jeffry or something.
The character they pick matters -- this sounds like a tautological statement (and it is), but mentally you shift from "a random player" to "a random X player'. Assuming you are experienced in the match-up, you should be then aware of what typical good players do, what scrubby habits with that character are, and so on. From there, you should know what specific situations will give you the most information, and from there you're trying to build a profile of how they play, what they're capable of and what they know.

Assuming everyone is a top player is a mistake IMO, as that can often times put you on the wrong meta level, which leads to you getting boned. I would just concentrate on playing a solid, 1st level game and either let themselves get killed or see what they have.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just an FYI, the next thread might go up a bit late as opposed to right at midnight, depending on when I get home.

Also FGW | Allen the game, baby

GGs Onionfrog. I had a blast. It looks like we have both started incorporating focus attacks into our game.

If anyone ever meets you in the air and hits you, and then jumps toward you again, it will cross up. You ate a lot of those cross ups in our set, and it really hurt you.

Also, I don't get why pros use Oni's Rakan Dantojin L as a blockstring ender. I got thrown every time after recovery. What am I missing?

Tesseract

Banned
which of the 360 fighters are most active?

i own ae, hdr, mvc2, umvc3

that leaves 3rd strike, vf, tekken, soul calibur, whatever else that's not mentioned here. probably only wanna get into one 3D fighter, aiming toward vf5 but i dunno how active it is.

that leaves 3rd strike, vf, tekken, soul calibur, whatever else that's not mentioned here. probably only wanna get into one 3D fighter, aiming toward vf5 but i dunno how active it is.

AE By far, then UMVC3, and I say MVC2 and not sure about HDR at all

smurfx

get some go again

ranked is pretty dead at the higher levels. don't know how it is for beginners.

onionfrog

GGs Onionfrog. I had a blast. It looks like we have both started incorporating focus attacks into our game.

If anyone ever meets you in the air and hits you, and then jumps toward you again, it will cross up. You ate a lot of those cross ups in our set, and it really hurt you.

Also, I don't get why pros use Oni's Rakan Dantojin L as a blockstring ender. I got thrown every time after recovery. What am I missing?
C'mon Karst. I know what cross ups are! :p
I couldn't block them for shit tonight though. I have a bad habit of blocking low too much too, that's probably the main reason why I kept eating them..

It was fun though. I'm glad I was able to win a few games. and landing back throw -> shin shoryuken never gets old!

Good Games sir!
Anything that converts from PS2 to USB should work.
Agreed, pretty much any adapter you can get should be fine. I've got a generic one that I ordered direct from china for like $6 and it works just fine. No discernable lag.

What are some good fighting games series that are gentle to ease into?
I'm bad at lengthy button input combos.

I can do decent in Smash. Pull together some rudimentary combos in MK 2011, but get destroyed in Killer Instinct.

Laconic

Banned

I can do decent in Smash. Pull together some rudimentary combos in MK 2011, but get destroyed in Killer Instinct.

Hokuto No Basketball.

I kid... SF4 would probably be your best bet, of the last and current gen.

Oh my god guys

http://i.imgur.com/wmSQ22g.jpg?1?4353 (Note large pic)

I would enter any tourament if this was the grand prize
I had these with chocolate creme filling. Good stuff.

I couldn't block them for shit tonight though. I have a bad habit of blocking low too much too, that's probably the main reason why I kept eating them..

It was fun though. I'm glad I was able to win a few games. and landing back throw -> shin shoryuken never gets old!

Good Games sir!

Agreed, pretty much any adapter you can get should be fine. I've got a generic one that I ordered direct from china for like $6 and it works just fine. No discernable lag.
I know you know what cross ups are. I wasn't sure if you knew the second jump always crosses up. I eat those a ton myself. :p

That throw into ultra makes me salty every time. I can't even combo into my ultras without using meter.

I kept trying different stuff against your DP. I couldn't figure out how to beat it.

onionfrog

I know you know what cross ups are. I wasn't sure if you knew the second jump always crosses up. I eat those a ton myself. :p
Ok. Good to know. I gotta stop blocking low all the time too.
That throw into ultra makes me salty every time. I can't even combo into my ultras without using meter.
Good, good! :D
It's so satisfying.
I kept trying different stuff against your DP. I couldn't figure out how to beat it.
I'd say trying to bait it is probably the best bet, It's got tons of recovery. You'd have eons to punish.
-----
And I totally get waiting to see if Ultra is confirmed for PS4. I think Capcom would be stupid not to port it to both next gen consoles.
I know I'm gonna end up double dipping at the very least. (PS3 and PC)

Laconic

Banned
Besides DiveKick? Tekken or Virtua Fighter would do wonders on your footsies/spacing game without being too heavy on long combos.

Tekken and Virtua Fighter have so much going on in them, especially behind the scenes, so much that is necessary to know in order to not get pummeled into the ground by even decent players, it's not even funny, much less neophyte user friendly.

To play VF online at this point you'd have to go to VFDC and schedule a lobby with others. So yeah. The other 3D fighters are more active on PS3, but there are probably enough players left at lower levels on 360 to grind it out.

Marz

Shoutouts to Honda/Zangief/Thawk and Hakan

I'm using hyperbole, but honestly the risk/reward factor for fireballs is pretty uneven in SF4, especially with focus and a million moves that have fireball invulnerability. Also Hakan really doesn't give a fuck about fireballs, you can't zone him like most grapplers.

vulva

Saw the new xman movie. It was pretty dire. How did Fassbender go from being fantastic in First Class to totally phoning it in for this one?

The portrait over the wheelchair girl was pretty funny at least.

.la1n

Saw the new xman movie. It was pretty dire. How did Fassbender go from being fantastic in First Class to totally phoning it in for this one?

The portrait over the wheelchair girl was pretty funny at least.

Yeah it was pretty terrible, this and Gozilla. What is going on with summer blockbusters this year. Trailers / reviews are glowing then I go see it and it's...mediocre.

That it's the safest blockstring ender Oni has? Just tech the damn throw. The window is wide, and if they're trying to do it early you're still stuck in slash animation when you press the buttons but the throw can't hit before you have recovered from the slash, so there's no reason a tech could fail. (I forget if SF4 makes you unable to tech throw punishes or not, but that should never be an issue with light slash)

There's enough of a time difference between front and crossup slashes hitting that you should theoretically be able to block Oni's slashes rhythically so you don't have to think if they will cross up or not. Just block front hit, then back hit.

That it's the safest blockstring ender Oni has? Just tech the damn throw. The window is wide, and if they're trying to do it early you're still stuck in slash animation when you press the buttons but the throw can't hit before you have recovered from the slash, so there's no reason a tech could fail. (I forget if SF4 makes you unable to tech throw punishes or not, but that should never be an issue with light slash)

There's enough of a time difference between front and crossup slashes hitting that you should theoretically be able to block Oni's slashes rhythically so you don't have to think if they will cross up or not. Just block front hit, then back hit.
I saw Infiltration playing Oni, and after the slash (block) he went into LP. He did this like three times, which is that confuses me.

Why is the fireball less desirable as an ender?

Edit: also, how do folks FADC the L Slash so fast? I can make the links off of it, but it looks so much slower when I FADC.

So, a little over a week ago, I hosted a side tournament for KI at a local regional. My tournament had kind of a rocky start. I had a bracket all set up, with one friend helping me run the bracket. When I start my tournament, I go looking for folks who weren't there yet and I tell my friend to start running matches. When I return, I find out my friend just started throwing together random matches; by that, I mean just seeing two people waiting for their respective opponents, and just having them play each other in an official match as opposed to actually following the bracket and DQ'ing people. I thought about just making a new bracket right then and there, but I decided to truck on since I had already started the thing. Thankfully, everything ended up working out in spite of the bracket being suddenly jumbled when it wasn't supposed to.

Still. Have any of you folks who ran a tournament encountered something like that, and if so, what did you do?

alstein

So, a little over a week ago, I hosted a side tournament for KI at a local regional. My tournament had kind of a rocky start. I had a bracket all set up, with one friend helping me run the bracket. When I start my tournament, I go looking for folks who weren't there yet and I tell my friend to start running matches. When I return, I find out my friend just started throwing together random matches; by that, I mean just seeing two people waiting for their respective opponents, and just having them play each other in an official match as opposed to actually following the bracket and DQ'ing people. I thought about just making a new bracket right then and there, but I decided to truck on since I had already started the thing. Thankfully, everything ended up working out in spite of the bracket being suddenly jumbled when it wasn't supposed to.

Still. Have any of you folks who ran a tournament encountered something like that, and if so, what did you do?

You hit your friend with a lead pipe.

There were two recent GAF threads that covered similar topics; might want to read the opinions in those too.
Find better people to run the bracket? You can't exactly DQ anybody because it is 100% the bracket runner's fault for allowing it to happen.

oneida

To play VF online at this point you'd have to go to VFDC and schedule a lobby with others. So yeah. The other 3D fighters are more active on PS3, but there are probably enough players left at lower levels on 360 to grind it out.
this isn't true, there's always a couple people in ranked

I saw Infiltration playing Oni, and after the slash (block) he went into LP. He did this like three times, which is that confuses me.

Why is the fireball less desirable as an ender?

Edit: also, how do folks FADC the L Slash so fast? I can make the links off of it, but it looks so much slower when I FADC.

Oni's fireball is like -8 on block point blank IIRC. Hell, it's -4 on hit. LK Slash is -2 on block. The safety is the point. By consistently ending with a LK Slash you eventually can mix in a crossup slash every now and then and expect it to work.

alstein

VF and SC best bet, followed by maybe Persona (long inputs but simple commands)

HDR is also low input. AE can be with some characters, though they usually suck.

oneida

VF has 3 buttons, few moves that aren't "safe" on block, all the characters are 100% viable, it has a terrific tutorial, one of the best training modes out there, and Akira Yuki who's just cool as hell. I say go with that.

no game will teach you frames like VF.

Damn, Versus Fighting 4 has been called off. That means Super VS Battle is the only August major for the UK. And Super VS Battle is usually not run well.

Oni's fireball is like -8 on block point blank IIRC. Hell, it's -4 on hit. LK Slash is -2 on block. The safety is the point. By consistently ending with a LK Slash you eventually can mix in a crossup slash every now and then and expect it to work.
Ah, that makes sense. What is the startup on most throws?

Top Bottom