• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Ships 3M Units Worldwide

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
3 million is a decent opening but given the timeline of FF15/FF7R/FF16 being 5m to 3.5m to 3m is more proof that overall the brand is crumbling.

I have to wonder if Square will make a statement on if FF16 met sales expectations like they did with Tomb Raider(which didn't even though it sold really well).

I'm curious on how much the game will sell in a month's time.

ProtoByte

Gold Member
IS this good? I heard it didnt do too well in the UK, is this correct?
It's solid, if lower than the last 2 major FF games, accounting for the time span.

The question now is will the game have legs? I think so. Post launch, my estimation of those legs is slightly weaker than it was prior.

Teletraan1

Banned
These out of the gate numbers are meaningless, have always been meaningless and will continue to be meaningless. If the sales drop off a cliff they can just never talk about them again like ND did with TLOU2. If we get an update in a few months like they gave us with Hogwarts then start the celebration.

solidus12

LlPtdT1.jpg

Doing My Part Reaction GIF

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm a huge classic FF fan who hated XII, XIII, XIV and XV.. should I get this one...

LordCBH

The wait was insane and imo they did a decent job with marketing
I remember going wild at the full cgi with Noctis

If it wasn’t for them having a massive event to announce the release date and then delaying it less than two weeks later, I’d have said they had masterful marketing for XV. But I do agree they did a decent job with the marketing.

If Benji-Sales thinks this is good, it's good. This guy knows his shit.

The diehard Nintendo nerds on InstallBase are desperately trying to downplay this big sales figure apparently installbase number 'doesn't matter' when comparing sales!

If sales guru Benji mentions the big difference in installbase numbers as a factor then it's a factor when comparing.

mortal

Instead of celebrating or accepting that something has been a commercial and critical success, some people are still desperately looking for reasons to disqualify with caveat on top of caveat.
It's like they had their egos invested in seeing the game perform terribly or something. I'll never understand that sort of behavior.

Ar¢tos

Instead of celebrating or accepting that something has been a commercial and critical success, some people are still desperately looking for reasons to disqualify with caveat on top of caveat.
It's like they had their egos invested in seeing the game perform terribly or something. I'll never understand that sort of behavior.
Since their Redfall turned out to be... less great... than what they hoped for they feel the urge to crap on a Playstation exclusive.
No need to rush people, as soon as Sony starts spewing GAAS games left and right there will be plenty to mock Playstation about.

mortal

Since their Redfall turned out to be... less great... than what they hoped for they feel the urge to crap on a Playstation exclusive.
No need to rush people, as soon as Sony starts spewing GAAS games left and right there will be plenty to mock Playstation about.
I don't know if it's a console fanboy thing or not, but it's incredibly silly either way.

If a game I had reservations about actually ends up doing well, the last thing I would do is try to disqualify it when I have no reason to. I'd be pleasantly surprised, if anything.

platina

Yup. They must be seething 😂

Woopah

While it's debut is lower than 15, I would expect its legs to be much stronger given the reviews. Plus the higher price helps with revenue.

They have an 18 month sales plan for the game, which I assume includes price promotions, DLC and a PC port.

It’s not less than the last game. FFXV only sold 2.6M in its first week.
It was 5 million for FFXV

"Shipment figures pertain to the number of copies sent to retailers, and does not necessarily represent how many have actually been sold to consumers."

Try harder.
It's the same for both figures.
One remembers the day when FF could sell over 3 million copies in Japan alone.
I don't think it will reach that level again, but I do expect 7 Rebirth to do better than 16.
In Japan MediaCreate the range I guess is:

FF16 first week: 200-450K
PS5 hardware: 60-110K

By comparison for the same week:
Switch: 70-90K
Xbox Series: 125
I think the software will be bang in the middle of your projection, while hardware is on the upper end or even beyond your projection.

Fastest Selling PlayStation Exclusives:
• 1st: God Of War Ragnarok: 5.1+ Million (11+ Million)
• 2nd: The Last Of Us Part II: 4+ Million (10+ Million)
• 3rd: Final Fantasy VII Remake: 3.5+ Million (5+ Million Shipped)
• 4th: Spider-Man: 3.3+ Million (20+ Million)
• 5th: God Of War: 3.1+ Million (23+ Million)
• 6th: Final Fantasy XVI: 3+ Million
• 7th: Ghost Of Tsushima: 2.4+ Million (9.73+ Million)
Ghost of Tsushima sold well enough for a new IP. I expect the 2nd game to reach the 5m mark.

muno

Neo Member
To those making the “lower install base argument,” here is another way of looking at it. The game apparently wasn’t good enough to be a system seller. Launch weeks for big name titles will always be huge. I suspect the sales numbers will slow much more quickly than previous FF titles and won’t sell that many PS5s. Most people who don’t have a PS5 yet likely won’t pick one up for just one game.

Tears of Kingdom boosted Switch sales significantly, which is impressive considering how many Switches are already out there.

Woopah

To those making the “lower install base argument,” here is another way of looking at it. The game apparently wasn’t good enough to be a system seller. Launch weeks for big name titles will always be huge. I suspect the sales numbers will slow much more quickly than previous FF titles and won’t sell that many PS5s. Most people who don’t have a PS5 yet likely won’t pick one up for just one game.

Tears of Kingdom boosted Switch sales significantly, which is impressive considering how many Switches are already out there.
What are you basing this on? We have no idea how PS5s were impacted by the game. We'll get our first look at Japan tomorrow and I'm expecting a big boost.

While it's debut is lower than 15, I would expect its legs to be much stronger given the reviews. Plus the higher price helps with revenue.

They have an 18 month sales plan for the game, which I assume includes price promotions, DLC and a PC port.

It was 5 million for FFXV

It's the same for both figures.

I don't think it will reach that level again, but I do expect 7 Rebirth to do better than 16.

I think the software will be bang in the middle of your projection, while hardware is on the upper end or even beyond your projection.

Yeah on second thought it might move more hardware. I think PS5 did ~50k last week so more than doubling that would be good result. Switch did 80K.

Top Bottom