• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes made $115 million in 6 months, 11.7M downloads, now at $500K/day

Alucrid

Banned
I think I've played it every day since it came out but I haven't put money in. I'm happy to do a pull every week or two and get a bunch of garbage 3 stars. I can't imagine spending money to pull that lever though, literally a slot machine with nothing of real value.
Yeah after my only or purchase I looked at my Hector and thought ”this is my $40 Hector" I decided not to pay again

vareon

The game's latest updates give player a lot more to do than when it first launched, too. Though it's still weirdly different than other gacha games, in a Nintendo way. Some people will still dismiss it as a waifu game, but if you go to the OT there's a lot of builds and strategies discussed.

I played it hardcore for a few weeks, but once it got grindy I realized I'd rather be playing the 3DS games instead. But it's not a bad game at all and I'm happy to see it doing well.

Draxal

Game is targeted whales, the nature units and arena being the end game makes it so.

Mind you there's f2p players that do quite well in arena but they've invested alot of time and effort that whales don't have to.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Game is targeted whales, the nature units and arena being the end game makes it so.

Mind you there's f2p players that do quite well in arena but they've invested alot of time and effort that whales don't have to.

Ehhhhh, I disagree

Sure if you want to get into the top 1% of rankings, yeah whaling will get you those +10s

But just using Cecilia, Ursula, Camus and Xander which were all free units, and with minimal skill inheritance will easily get you very high up in the rankings

I had a lot of fun with this until I hit a point I just couldn't finish the last couple levels with the units I had and felt like the only path forward was for me to buy units.

Maybe I should give the game another chance because I really did have fun with it early on.

This is a really impressive performance and obviously a hugely profitable venture for Nintendo

Draxal

Is this the Highest revenue a FE game has seen?

Easily, best selling game or games is either Awakening or Fates (depends on how you view Fates monetization model).

Awakening has 2 million copies sold + dlc.

Ehhhhh, I disagree

Sure if you want to get into the top 1% of rankings, yeah whaling will get you those +10s

But just using Cecilia, Ursula, Camus and Xander which were all free units, and with minimal skill inheritance will easily get you very high up in the rankings

I have a horse emblem team that does fine, but the problem with that is you are hardcapped by cav's cheap bst.

The game targets whales with all these limited banners. If they were do a bridal cordelia banner yet again, watch these numbers spike up again.

NSESN

This is good I suppose, but the game's gatcha format made me drop it which is a shame because everything else is pretty fun. Never put a penny into it though so there's that I guess.

It is still fairly easy to build a top team without gacha. IS was crazy enough to give 2 top tiers for free (Camus and Xander) and the most broken unit in the game (Reinhardt) is really easy to get. Bride cordelia is the only time they went hard on getting gacha money.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is this the Highest revenue a FE game has seen?

So Awakening moved 1.9 million copies with let's say an average price of $40 to level out Japan and sale prices in the West.

That would be 1,900,000 * $40 = $76 million.

I don't believe there's a higher revenue title in the series, but even if there was, I would be surprised if it was so much higher as to top this. Fire Emblem Fates was listed at 1.5 million in the same Nintendo earnings slide that was shown shortly before Fire Emblem Heroes released.

13ruce

Banned
I can see mobile replace 3ds for Nintendo revenue wise in 2018 or early 2019. 1 Console (and maybe a switch mini) + mobile seems like a good new strategy after 3DS is dead.

pantsmith

Its actually pretty neat, since the strategy roots and hard counters add a lot without making it purely pay to win. Yeah, you can throw money at it, but its generally pretty enjoyable even if you aren't.

I will say though that I stopped playing arena because team comps are so brokenly powerful that its neither interesting or fun anymore :/

Think I have more time logged in it than I did in the previous FE games and I loved them.

Got me to like gacha games too....ugh.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Means they'll be able to go all out on FE Switch... Need that big budget tactical RPG for a console.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I have a horse emblem team that does fine, but the problem with that is you are hardcapped by cav's cheap skills.

What do you mean hardcapped? Their BST?

The game targets whales with all these limited banners. If they were do a bridal cordelia banner yet again, watch these numbers spike up again.

That's fair, i guess I'm looking at it from a relative point of view compared to most other f2p mobile games

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

This is really not true The prizes given out in arena vary so little between levels, and I've been using the same arena team for months, with the bonus character rotated in. The pity meter and default pull rates are as "anti-whale" as it gets.

There are so many other gacha games that target whales so much more blatantly. Try playing FGO, with it's 1% pull rate for top characters. ;)

lyrick

So Awakening moved 1.9 million copies with let's say an average price of $40 to level out Japan and sale prices in the West.

That would be 1,900,000 * $40 = $76 million.

I don't believe there's a higher revenue title in the series, but even if there was, I would be surprised if it was so much higher as to top this. Fire Emblem Fates was listed at 1.5 million in the same Nintendo earnings slide that was shown shortly before Fire Emblem Heroes released.

Thanks. I hit the Nintendo IR pages and saw FE was completely bumped out of their listings and couldn't remember where the series was at.

StAidan

I've played every day since release, it's highly addicting even when you're not spending money on it (although I have). Even so, man, that's a lot of moolah.

explodet

I'll bet there's still a handful of people at Nintendo/Intelligent Systems looking at the pile of money growing in the corner and being utterly baffled about where it's coming from.

Mupod

It's funny though, because they've been more than generous with the free stuff in the game.

One of the best teams you can make now is completely made of free to play characters

yeah my strongest team right now is Xander, Cecilia, Ursula and Camus. My Cecilia was technically found as a 5 star but she is available for free, the other 3 are all from clearing their grand hero battles. Outside of inheritance materials all you need for this team is to play for a while and save your feathers. And it destroys damn near everything.

Ehhhhh, I disagree

As time goes on, with the way the tier system works you don't even need heavy merges or high stats to get into the highest tier. Sure, you won't stay there, but that's just a few feathers. Big deal. Hell we might already be at that point, the point thresholds these days are so low that I'm poised to get back into T20 this week with the team you mentioned there. No merges.

The success of the game I think is two fold, on one hand you have new content coming nearly constantly on the other the game is extremely generous with its F2P model.

When the game launched it felt very bare bones, I got through the first set of chapters on all difficulties without any real problems and then I stopped playing for quite a bit only picking it up every day or two or if there was a new event on but the last few months have been crazy with how much you have to do at all times. New chapters for the story (which is god awful sadly) as well as special events, the various voting gauntlets, then the Tempest trials which offer a crapton of rewards if you play it enough now they've got the Chain Challenges and Squad Assaults which I've barely even touched. That's not to mention all of the new characters and abilities with the new features like Inheriting skills and what not that make some awful characters very useful for passing their skills on. Right now I play casually still and I literally don't have enough time to do everything right now, that is a very satisfying thing to have in a mobile game of all things. I didn't even get into the new maps coming frequently or win conditions that have arrived as well.

Then you have the orb system, buying orbs is fairly expensive but honestly I think the game is the single most generous game when it comes to giving the player currency. Any new story missions give you a ton of orbs for the various difficulties, things like the Tempest Trials reward players who put a lot of time into playing it more and more rewards including orbs and other things, then you have quests that give you orbs (some easier then others) and pretty much every event gives you more. Plus most days they just give you orbs as well. I've horded over 100 orbs to save on certain banners all of which I got for free. I haven't felt like its in any way pushing me to spend money on it unlike other games of this genre but for those who have the money and want to get more then its available.

Nintendo has hit a home run here.

Hazu

Well deserved, it's one of the few mobile games that I actually enjoy playing. Been playing it every day since release, probably the game I've spent the most time on in 2017 actually.

I just wish they would add more characters to the 3*/4* pool, I'm getting a bit tired to summon the same heroes every time.

No wonder gacha games are so frequent over in Japan. They make serious bank.

Absolutely though there is some evidence that the market is somewhat leveling off and costs for development have risen. That said it's a HIGHLY profitable field and one it makes a lot of sense for Japanese publishers specifically to enter into

Mupod

If Fire Emblem makes that much.

I wonder how the more popular Nintendo IPs will do?

Well, FE is particularly well-suited for this model. The mechanics translated very well even if they made some major changes like removing RNG from the combat. It's got a huge variety of characters, some of which people are *very* attached to.

They could go the gacha route with Pokemon and bring about the Apocalypse I guess.

Draxal

What do you mean hardcapped? Their BST?

That's fair, i guess I'm looking at it from a relative point of view compared to most other f2p mobile games

Ayup meant BST, and replaced it.

This is really not true The prizes given out in arena vary so little between levels, and I've been using the same arena team for months, with the bonus character rotated in. The pity meter and default pull rates are as "anti-whale" as it gets.

There are so many other gacha games that target whales so much more blatantly. Try playing FGO, with it's 1% pull rate for top characters. ;)

Fate is weird in you can complete the end game fine without five stars, and can be carried hard by friend players. You can of course NP all those characters in the game, but there's nothing like arena in FGO.

There's nothing like Granblue's suprise tickets (we haven't been getting them for a while) in this game.

As for the pity meter, I've seen it used as a placebo inducing people to spend money to get the pity meter back down to 3% again. Its kinda insidious in that manner.

Hazu

Can you imagine the numbers Animal Crossing is gonna pull..

We don't even know which pricing model will be used for AC Mobile or what kind of game it will be exactly.

And I'm not so sure a Gatcha AC would be very popular....

vareon

I can see Nintendo expanding the Fire Emblem brand/lore by FE Switch and then collecting money from Heroes. Basically the "main" game is the huge advertisement for Heroes. That's if they can keep the momentum until next year.

If Fire Emblem makes that much.

I wonder how the more popular Nintendo IPs will do?

It's hard to say looking it just from IP, I think. Mario was much bigger than FE, but its model hindered its success.

FE, on the other hand, had every material a Japanese gacha game should have before it even started.

PK Gaming

The game started out pretty rough, but it's developed into a pretty good gacha game

And it's only going to get better from here.

It's funny though, because they've been more than generous with the free stuff in the game.

One of the best teams you can make now is completely made of free to play characters

Yeah, Heroes is hilariously generous.

It's not P2W at all.

Nohar

With the success of DLCs and Gacha games, I see no end to them.

If I wanted to be dramatic, I would say that "regular" video games serve no purpose anymore, as mobile games make so much more money (and, comparatively, they are developped quite quickly).

Yup. I give video games roughly 20 more years before only mobile gaming remains, with games of old time being relocated to a museum or emulation.

But, mind you, that's me being overly dramatic.

Please tell me I'm being overly dramatic. Does that make me an "old" gamer? Am I already in this category? Am I one of those old guys who don't accept change and who can't stop talking about the past, saying "it was better before"?

Draxal

With the success of DLCs and Gacha games, I see no end to them.

If I wanted to be dramatic, I would say that "regular" video games serve no purpose anymore, as mobile games make so much more money (and, comparatively, they are developped quite quickly).

Yup. I give video games roughly 20 more years before only mobile gaming remains, with games of old time being relocated to a museum or emulation.

But, mind you, that's me being overly dramatic.

Please tell me I'm being overly dramatic.

The problem with gacha games right now is that they're cannibalizing each other, and games get shut down very quickly, making people hesitant to throw money at the games.

WaterAstro

That doesn't seem to be a lot compared to what I remember what Puzzles and Dragons were making before the flood of gacha games, which was an easy billion a year.

I wonder if things have slowed down for mobile in general.

Shifty1897

I played every day for 3 months, never spent a dime.
I was definitely tempted at some points though, glad it's making money for Nintendo I guess and keeping the Fire Emblem series healthy.

Top Bottom