• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes made $115 million in 6 months, 11.7M downloads, now at $500K/day

Alucrid

Banned
With the success of DLCs and Gacha games, I see no end to them.

If I wanted to be dramatic, I would say that "regular" video games serve no purpose anymore, as mobile games make so much more money (and, comparatively, they are developped quite quickly).

Yup. I give video games roughly 20 more years before only mobile gaming remains, with games of old time being relocated to a museum or emulation.

But, mind you, that's me being overly dramatic.

Please tell me I'm being overly dramatic. Does that make me an "old" gamer? Am I already in this category? Am I one of those old guys who don't accept change and who can't stop talking about the past, saying "it was better before"?
We've had gatch/mobile games for how long now? Wouldnt everyone have switched by now?

Everyday. I'm hooked. Never been into FE before but this is fun for me. Nice community around it too. IS are generous with what they give out. Stuff gets added regularly. All is good!

Heh I'm just poking fun at the posts that normally arrive when there's a thread on a mobile game that's more than a month old :p

It's really cool this got you into the series!
You must've been/will be blown away once you play/ed a mainline title

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I want Advance Wars without compromised bad gameplay like FE:H is. As much as I like AW, would rather it not become something like this.

I think their proposal was meant to be "Let's take one day of Fire Emblem Heroes revenue and use that to make Advance Wars" hahaha.

If I wanted to be dramatic, I would say that "regular" video games serve no purpose anymore, as mobile games make so much more money (and, comparatively, they are developped quite quickly).

Yup. I give video games roughly 20 more years before only mobile gaming remains, with games of old time being relocated to a museum or emulation.

Please tell me I'm being overly dramatic.

You are being hugely over dramatic. The best path for Japanese publishers seems to be having both a dedicated "console / PC" segment of development as well as mobile games. The two compliment each other and give you a more diverse portfolio of ways to earn revenue.

For Western publishers mobile isn't nearly as important. Sure I still think Western pubs should dip their toes into mobile as diversity always helps, but this revenue from FE still is nothing compared to the Revenue of the really heavy hitting Western titles. The amount of money things like Overwatch, COD, Destiny, Battlefield etc. makes dwarfs this

Caronte

Please tell me I'm being overly dramatic. Does that make me an "old" gamer? Am I already in this category? Am I one of those old guys who don't accept change and who can't stop talking about the past, saying "it was better before"?

Get a PC. Traditional gaming is not going away.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My goodness Mario Run tanked in comparison.

Oh well. Good they're getting some extra income this way.

PK Gaming

I want Advance Wars without compromised bad gameplay like FE:H is. As much as I like AW, would rather it not become something like this.

FE:H's gameplay is absolutely fine given the format. I'd argue that it has more depth than a game like Echoes, but that's a discussion for another day.

And a gacha AW game would never work.

Nintendo said it was less than Fire Emblem Heroes even back when Fire Emblem was estimated around $70-$80 million.

They've been uh... more open to the idea of more free 2 play games lately in their fiscal calls.

One would think Nintendo would modify SMR for F2P. Instead nobody bothers at $10.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
One would think Nintendo would modify SMR for F2P. Instead nobody bothers at $10.

Their plan seems to be to leave that one alone, but they notably delayed their other mobile games, which I suspect a lot of that revolved around having more launch day content and reconsidering the business models.

NSESN

At the start the gameplay wasn't so good, but now with defensive tiles, reinforcements, and survive X turns maps it is much better.

Chauzu

Heh I'm just poking fun at the posts that normally arrive when there's a thread on a mobile game that's more than a month old :p

It's really cool this got you into the series!
You must've been/will be blown away once you play/ed a mainline title

I played half of Awakening, but kinda got bored. Wasn't visually appealing either to me, like most 3DS games.

I will give FE Switch a proper go tho!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
FE:H's gameplay is absolutely fine given the format. I'd argue that it has more depth than a game like Echoes, but that's a discussion for another day.

And a gacha AW game would never work.

Let's just say that I also thought the gameplay of FEH was better than Echoes. What a chore to play through.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yeah, Nintendo ain't going 3rd party anytime soon lol.

What a turnaround after the Wii U/3DS generation.

I dont think this makes a good for case for them not going 3rd party...

Also doesnt make a good case for them staying in console gaming.

This is money made on hardware they didnt make....

Success of the Switch makes a better case, but not this.

Draxal

Their plan seems to be to leave that one alone, but they notably delayed their other mobile games, which I suspect a lot of that revolved around having more launch day content and reconsidering the business models.

I think Nintendo has two issues.

1. People still view them as a kid brand, having kid friendly associated ips like Mario is a brand hit, as lets be real Gacha is incredibly skeevy. However, that skeevy system is proven to be the dominant model in gaming monetization now.

2. They only have a couple of brands that would work well with Gacha, people think Animal Crossing would do extremely well in Gacha, where I'm hesitant. I just don't see Animal Crossing as otakubaitish as the dominant gacha games. The animal crossing amiibo (cards and figures) boooombbed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think Nintendo has two issues.

1. People still view them as a kid brand, having kid friendly associated ips like Mario is a brand hit, as lets be real Gacha is incredibly skeevy. However, that skeevy system is proven to be the dominant model in gaming monetization now.

2. They only have a couple of brands that would work well with Gacha, people think Animal Crossing would do extremely well in Gacha, where I'm hesitant. I just don't see Animal Crossing as otakubaitish as the dominant gacha games. The animal crossing amiibo (cards and figures) boooombbed.

To me the biggest issue with Animal Crossing is that this genre doesn't do very well anymore outside of Gardenscapes, which does amazingly well, but also has some other gameplay elements and a narrative component.

Holy crap that is insanely ridiculous. Glad to see Nintendo's foray into mobile territory is paying off. Makes me wonder what else we'll see come from them.

MLCodest

I've logged in every day since the game released and have probably spent a couple hundred hours playing, so I'm happy to hear the game is achieving great success.

Qwark

I'm disappointed that SMR did so poor in comparison, but I guess that's to be expected.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed FEH, but I got kind of bored with it once I got a super team. I really like the idea of a premium, no-gacha, fairly-priced mobile game, SMR was almost all of that, now I'm worried they'll stop trying with non-F2P.

Good news for the Fire Emblem series, assuming we continue to get mainline entries.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Does it have any sort of multiplayer?

Not direct multiplayer, but the arena pits you against other players teams, but they are controlled by the AI

I don't think this type of game lends well to direct pvp since it'd just naturally devolve into a turtling standoff

Co-op would be a great mode though now that I think about it

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, how many Fire Emblem projects have been financed because of this?

Generally how these types of things work is less "We take money from Game A and put it in Game B," and more that IntSys will be given whatever budget and partners they want to work with based on their strong success.

Similarly Nintendo will be more willing to let them experiment with whatever they want to try. Fire Emblem Heroes doesn't improve the odds of an Advance Wars game by virtue of the money it's making getting pumped into Advance Wars, but by raising IntSys' corporate stature significantly to the point where their publishing partner really wants to keep them happy.

The reverse is also true of course. When they were making Awakening, they were told they had to sell at least 180,000 copies or the series would be kaput, and presumably they would have to go work on whatever Nintendo wanted them to if they wanted to keep working with Nintendo. Of course, given they beat that number by more than 10 times, the balance of decision making here completely flipped.

Fire Emblem Heroes was also IntSys's idea, from concept to monetization structure, and they pitched the idea to Nintendo after they heard Nintendo was interested in making mobile games, so they're assuredly viewed very, very positively right now.

redcrayon

So, how many Fire Emblem projects have been financed because of this?
What I find interesting is that it also works as a celebration of the series, introducing a couple of hundred named characters even to people like me that have played half a dozen games in the series. When you've got an IP with a free app where the player base can recognise and interact with hundreds of characters, it only strengthens the franchise as a whole, particularly any future remake projects. At this point if IS says 'we think we can do x with Fire Emblem', Nintendo is hardly likely to say no.

Linkyn

One one hand, Fire Emblem, a formerly niche but amazing series, is seeing unprecedented success, which will surely lead to the franchise flourishing in the future.

On the other, it comes at the expense of being a gacha game full of waifus, representative of major wrongs in the industry.

I'm conflicted.

I'd consider it an issue if we weren't also getting plenty of other FE games like Shadows of Valentia, Warriors and the as of yet unnamed Switch game. I can live with them raking in cash through a game I don't personally care about if it enables them to make more games I'll enjoy.

I spent $13 on it to get some orbs once, and I play it every day. I'd be happy to pay more if my money was worth more in the game. $5 should be enough for 20 orbs. The dollar→gacha ratio is absurd.

Top Bottom