• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes made $115 million in 6 months, 11.7M downloads, now at $500K/day

Indelible

This is actually a great free to play game, you don't have to spend a dime to have a good time but obviously people are willing to open their wallets.

jnWake

Dang, never gave it a shot because I though it would be really boring. Is it too late to jump in?

Nah. You'll have worse teams than old players for a while but it's not hard to catch up.

Game is generous with orbs and rates aren't bad so you'll get good units easily.

Busaiku

So Awakening moved 1.9 million copies with let's say an average price of $40 to level out Japan and sale prices in the West.

That would be 1,900,000 * $40 = $76 million.

I don't believe there's a higher revenue title in the series, but even if there was, I would be surprised if it was so much higher as to top this. Fire Emblem Fates was listed at 1.5 million in the same Nintendo earnings slide that was shown shortly before Fire Emblem Heroes released.
They also have lots of DLC.

hongcha

Always amazes me how many people spend money on these gacha games. I played through the story mode and enjoyed the game. I didn't spend a dime on it (never had an urge to either).

woopWOOP

Jesus, that Japan share. I sorta figured it did decently worldwide and that the US/EU could get around the 50% with their powers combined... but EU spendings so small it's not even listed, lmao

So yeah, more gacha alts showing a lot of skin coming in a near future

Wiseblade

I'm surprised: I didn't think it'd be earning this much and shocked that this is relatively little for a gacha. I've dropped close to £100 into the game, making that Europe slice of the pie a little bigger.

I contest the idea that the game is particularly F2P friendly though. FEH is very generous with premium currency, but gives very little guarantee that you'll get anything of value when you spend. The spending mechanics also encourage blowing lots all at once rather than little and often, requiring players to spend little and often or opening their wallets and buying premium currency with real world money.

Jims

Good for them. I don't really like the gacha model that much because it does prey on people's obsessiveness a little, but I'll give them credit for not making an obnoxious version of it. I like how it doesn't constantly bug you and pressure you about getting orbs or throwing in pop-up deals and stuff. The only thing it really does is throw you into the summon screen when you login.

Haven't spent a dime on it and have really enjoyed playing the game. There are enough "good" units and varied strategies that basically everyone will eventually get dealt a pretty good set they can build around (mine was a bladetome team). The RNG is still kind of annoying, but there are enough random pieces to stitch something together.

im_shocked.gif

And this is why waifu emblem is here to stay

ggx2ac

It's nice they keep making mainline games on the side. It would be very easy to just say fuck it with these numbers.

Not making new mainline games would make it harder to sell new waifus.

Eg. The Fire Emblem Echoes characters that have appeared now on Fire Emblem Heroes would be irrelevant for people to want to get if the 3DS game never released.

I think Nintendo has two issues.

1. People still view them as a kid brand, having kid friendly associated ips like Mario is a brand hit, as lets be real Gacha is incredibly skeevy. However, that skeevy system is proven to be the dominant model in gaming monetization now.

2. They only have a couple of brands that would work well with Gacha, people think Animal Crossing would do extremely well in Gacha, where I'm hesitant. I just don't see Animal Crossing as otakubaitish as the dominant gacha games. The animal crossing amiibo (cards and figures) boooombbed.

Those were timed wrong

Had they launched with a 1-2 punch of animal crossing 3ds and wiiu they would have done gang busters. Launching them with amiibo festival was a mistake

Windforce

This game is amazing. It's all I play these days, and it's glorious fun!!!

I think I put around 100 dollars into it. lol I had to pull Bride Lyn and I had no orbs at the time she released.

Dang, never gave it a shot because I though it would be really boring. Is it too late to jump in?

Not too late, the free content is really generous and even timed events have been coming back from time to time. Obviously putting money in would speed up the catching up dramatically. But with a handful of heroes obtained for free you can clear a lot of the content.

The reddit community for this game is hilarious.

And this is why investors wanted Nintendo to join the Mobile market. I could easily see this making another 50 to 75 million without breaking a sweat with 100 million in reach if it doesn't lose popularity. Imagine what they'll make with a second go with Mario and then add Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, etc.

Looks like my monkey paw wish for "More Mainstream Fire Emblem" came true.

I mean, they'll still make mainline entries. Awakening sold at least 2 million copies and Fates sold at least 1.85 million copies. Considering it was seen as a long shot for Awakening to sell 250K, I'd say you got your wish without much of a downside.

Nambu

Neo Member
Glad the game is making dolla, not had a cent off me yet tho.

Got lucky with some pulls & have 2 lvl40 5 star teams that see me through the arena's on my feather grind.

BaconHat

It also killed off advance wars and paper mario so i hope you're happy

Paper Mario slow death since super has really no link to this. It mostly lies with Nintendo choosing to take this series in the experimental route since they thought Mario & Luigi already did the job for conventional RPG.

Beside, with the last Advance Wars never released in Japan (not counting the 3ds ambassador gift) despite having been developed there, i always felt like the company was not sure what to do with the series anymore near the end.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Stuff like this made me laugh whenever I see people arguing that waifus AREN'T the reason why Fire Emblem Awakening was such a success.

SuomiDude

I got bored of the game after couple of stages. And I'm a big fan of Fire Emblem games, hopefully the Switch game will not take any advice from this game.

Balphon

I found the game's focus on arena rather disappointing and it was enough to kill the interest I had in it.

I'm not surprised it's so successful, though.

Wiseblade

I am interested in the whale-related numbers of this game. How many whales, average$ spent by whales, etc
You have to decide on a Whale Threshold first. Is it anyone who ever spends money? Everyone who spends on a regular basis or anybody with a total spend above a certain amount?

MutFox

Banned
Haven't spent a dime yet,
have several top tier units now.
4 good teams so far, 3/4 for the 5th.
Still working on IS for my defence team.

Game has a lot to do in it too...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Wait I thought Android peasants don't spend any money at the play store?

Also I play this game but have no idea why. There's very little strategy. It's barely a game.

Always fun when fans claim their gacha game is not really p2w, when clearly, you can pay to get more rolls and thus an advantage. Whether one has to pay 100, 1000 or 10000$ to see a sizable advantage is a different, albeit not unimportant matter. Likewise, luck does play a role of course but on average it...well, averages out.

Unless they've changed to a completely cosmetic model in the meantime, which I doubt. Note that it can still be fairly f2p friendly all in all, but people who want to claim it's downright not p2w, when defined as gaining a competitive advantage by paying, are wrong.

As for the news itself, not too surprising with a well-known franchise that's perfectly well suited for the gacha model, especially with plenty already established waifu/husbando characters. Nintendo could've made a billion statements about sticking to other business models, we all know that will change.

redcrayon

Stuff like this made me laugh whenever I see people arguing that waifus AREN'T the reason why Fire Emblem Awakening was such a success.
They were a reason, but anyone arguing that the increased accessibility/no permadeath/casual modes had zero effect on increasing the appeal of a niche strategy game on Nintendo systems is hardly being sensible either.

Chauzu

This is going to be the most profitable Fire Emblem for Nintendo.

The good thing is it also makes more money by releasing new FE games. We've had several Echoes banners in FEH, we had a Tempest Trial now, looks like we will have another one, huge push for Echoes. I feel Heroes will help mainline FE games in the future and the other way around as well.

multiplayer star fox where they sell you parts for your ship and hats for your characters

#SittingOnAGoldMine

Star Fox could be cool in a FTL-like game. I'd imagine almost all event nodes would have to be combat or shop related, and it'd have to be more centered around upgrading your ship/pre-defined characters instead of building a mostly procedurally generated crew, but it could still work. They could even sell other motherships/crews, weapons, and even scrap (for during runs)

Also congrats I guess on Heroes. I played it for about two weeks before I got bored, but hopefully it means more console FE games in the future. Kinda wish we got more Himukai art out of the game though.

I log in daily to collect my free orbs and stuff, sometimes see what characters I can summon. I don't really play it though, and I've never spent money on it.

When I've considered buying orbs (and I've looked, sometimes) it just seems really bad economy. At the cheapest-but-worst-orbs-for-£ level, it's £3 for 3 orbs. Whereas, most days, you get 2 orbs for nothing just for signing in. The orbs are extremely overpriced for how easy it is to get hold of them for free with a bit of patience.

If it was 10 orbs for £0.99 or something, I'd possibly buy 20 now and then to do a full summon. But at the current pricing, it's way beyond anything I'd ever want to pay for. I'll stick to grabbing the daily log ins and just save up that way. These orbs just don't have any real value, nor do the 'goods' you get in exchange. It's just sprites and pixels....

tsundoku

Its a shame they added that skill transfer garbage and other features that just reward more and more gacha and ruined the arena forever. Its impossible to play as a free player these days

Lelou

Great game for being a gatcha game and mobile.
I supported it, and will probably continue to do so until they will continue to make all the content with in mind the free to play users

Danielsan

Such a shame that the game is shit. I wish they would have applied this model to a real Fire Emblem game. Then I might have been interested at least. Though that said, I think it's time that Fire Emblem drops the horrible character relationships and waifu crap. Currently playing Fire Emblem Blazing Sword on the GBA and man, that game is so good and streamlined compared to the bloated crap in the latest Fire Emblem games.

redcrayon

Its a shame they added that skill transfer garbage and other features that just reward more and more gacha and ruined the arena forever. Its impossible to play as a free player these days
Im sure the vast majority of people playing it are those not spending anything. Skill transfer is what opened up the arena for me, it's rare I see the same builds all the time whereas in the beginning it was all about which characters were strongest with their default skills. Now, as a free player, you can tailor teams to take on stronger content you just wouldn't be able to handle with the default characters, and even then there's videos available of players defeating the tougher maps with units available to everyone. Skill transfer also gave a purpose and a possible use for the majority of the weaker character pulls you get, rather than immediately sending home anyone that isn't a powerful unit.

Top Bottom