• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First ever DriveClub direct feed racing footage (GamesCom)

GodofWine

Well yeah but shouldn't Forza be going for that dynamic look since it's the sim racer? And conversely shouldn't Driveclub be more of a sim since it sure looks the part?

I just find it strange.

I cant speak for forza having only played it from time to time, but the same feeling always happened to me playing gran turismo. It feels a little sterile and sedated...engine sounds are muted and theres no "bumps in the road" its glass smooth.

On the other hand, Shift had ferocious engine sounds and you felt bumps and g forces by the drivers head being jerked around, which looks like what we see in DC..thank god.

Ive only been able to watch this vid on my phone with horrible quality, but I could see the drivers head was affected by terrain and that alone made me excited.

ACH1LL3US

I know some of you are saying its a huge difference versus what we saw at E3 BUT... really?? We didn't get any direct feed at E3 and this direct feed is 720p and for some reason the gamma seems way off as everything is too dark.

The vidoe they have on PSN looks fantastic ( the E3 trailer) but this isn't even close that quality. I really hoep they release a 1080p direct feed gameplay trailer soon, I would like to see what this game actually looks like.

Elios83

Waiting for the 1080p uncompressed version but as I said in other thread (the one with the gamersyde off screen videos) the game clearly looks like their February vision trailer at this point. Much more impressive than the E3 demo.
Now they just have to show a race with other opponents which shows how fun the game is to play.

The environment looks gorgeous and I like the driving model. The cars looks extremely meh though. Very off-putting.

Want to see this on Gamersyde though, not facebook.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm anxiously awaiting the gamersyde version of this direct feed footage. It's good that this is a free PS+ title as I'm excited for it but I don't play many racing games so I was unsure about buying it at retail.

I like the idea of a arcade/sim hybrid racing games and by all indications thats what drive club looks like it will be. The online aspect of it seems intriguing too.

I wish they would just stop the 60 FPS tease unless they are really serious.

Its gonna really piss me off if these guys reneg on all their promises.

sunnz

Forget youtube, just allow us to download it ( since the youtube version will be compressed and loose a lot of that smaller detail these games are all about)

Foliage and general track detail is pretty impressive.
Driving physics look good but not sold on them.

Loudninja

New blog post:
Rodgers described Driveclub as the “social network for racing games,” and this is exemplified by the game’s Challenge system. If you feel especially confident about a run on a certain track, with a certain car, even at a certain time of day, you can issue a challenge to your club, sending a notification to their PS4s or to their mobile phones (courtesy of the Driveclub Mobile app). As they play and try to beat your challenge, they’ll rack up points for the club.
More details about the PlayStation Plus Edition were divulged, as well. Gamers can play Driveclub on PS4 three ways when it launches: the full retail version on Blu-ray, the full version digitally, or gamers will have access to a free version of the game with their PlayStation Plus subscription as part of the Instant Game Collection. The PS Plus edition of the game is the full, complete experience, differing only in the amount of content included with a selection of cars, tracks and locations from the full version. PS Plus members can pick up the game for free initially, then buy more cars and tracks, or upgrade to the full version of the game if they choose.

Driveclub keeps looking and sounding better and better as we get closer to launch. Between the intimately detailed car models, the real-time shadow rendering, the Hybrid-created soundtrack — “Remixed by the best in the biz,” says Rodgers — and the directly recorded roars of each car’s engine, every inch of this game is permeated by passion and the desire to create the best racing game possible. Oh, and yes: it runs at 1080p.

Remote Play on PS Vita looked easy, beautiful and responsive — three very welcome qualities for this new technology. When a challenge arrives on the Driveclub Mobile app or on your PS4, you can start up the game and hit the track, or switch over to your Vita to take it off the big screen.
Everything you do in Driveclub earns fame points for you and your Clubmates, and there’s plenty of ways you can earn fame with Overdrives and Face-offs. These allow you to compete against friends and rivals across the world in every section of every track; whether it’s maintaining incredible speed through a section of track, drifting with skill around a bend, or taking specific corners with the perfect racing line, there’s always something to play for, no matter how far ahead or behind the pack you may be.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/08/22/driveclub-at-gamescom-the-social-network-of-racers/

I wish they would just stop the 60 FPS tease unless they are really serious.

Its gonna really piss me off if these guys reneg on all their promises.

They aren't promising that they're going to reach 60fps. It's their goal and they've stated that they may not be able to reach it, but they're trying to get it there.

StiLt

There's this weird dissonance between form and function in the two big racing games. Forza is the sim racer yet it looks slick and smooth and synthetic. And Driveclub is more of an arcade racer but it has a more natural lifelike look to it. Does anyone else see the disconnect here?

Right there with you breh. Experiencing the same record scratch. Joys of dynamic lighting I guess.

nib95

Banned
I'm not really seeing a major difference in texture or background detail, that isn't mostly accounted for by the difference in video quality between a direct feed and an offscreen capture. The new setting actually obscures more of the backdrop because there's more trees, so it doesn't give off as much of a sense of scope and roadside variation.

But these are the kind of things that people touting themselves as pixel-peeping experts should be able to properly compensate for in the first place.

Really? Obviously not the best comparison, but imo you can see some of the texture, detail and background mass differences quite easily.

image_driveclub-22414-2662_0016.jpg

image_driveclub-22961-2662_0008.jpg

image_driveclub-22414-2662_0007.jpg

image_driveclub-22961-2662_0014.jpg

image_driveclub-22414-2662_0009.jpg

image_driveclub-22961-2662_0016.jpg

image_driveclub-22425-2662_0013.jpg

image_driveclub-22961-2662_0004.jpg

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Oh man I'm really excited about the Vita remote play feature too.

TOILET RACING!!!

Darvan

Is it just me or does the hands on the steering wheel seem too fast and unrealistic? I like what I saw and can't really wait for the complete game. I just hope that hand movement get's looked at.

Is it just me or does the hands on the steering wheel seem too fast and unrealistic? I like what I saw and can't really wait for the complete game. I just hope that hand movement get's looked at.
Hand movement always look awkward in racers when driving with a controller.

Do we have a confirmed list of currently supported wheels? I really hope my DFGT is supported, but I expect it to be.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hand movement always look awkward in racers when driving with a controller.

Do we have a confirmed list of currently supported wheels? I really hope my DFGT is supported, but I expect it to be.

Apparently it's up to the wheel manufacturers to get new patches for the PS4, so that's where we are right now. :(

daoster

I am HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE at racing games.

But I am thankful that Driveclub is gonna be a Day 1 for PSN + users!! Maybe it's the next gen smell, but damn...I'm so excited.

I really hope they stick with their commitment to reach 60fps, at this point.

If time is the matter, why not update the game post launch anyway, instead of content themselves with 30fps.

Stardust on Ps3 got a complete technical overhaul when it was patched for 3d in 2010, with 30 to 60fps enhancement in multiplayer and full 1080p rendering in single player, so why not?

Rushy

Hmmm, it doesn't seem like Evolution has an official Youtube channel. Probably has to go through Playstation, which will take forever. :(
Bingo! Although hopefully it won't take too long.

We'll see what we can do with regards to 1080p footage, but it'll be after Gamescom has wrapped up before we can make that happen.

Nafai1123

Banned

We'll see what we can do with regards to 1080p footage, but it'll be after Gamescom has wrapped up before we can make that happen.

You'r not living up to your name Rushy!! :p

jk...can't wait to see some quality footage in action.

nib95

Banned

After Gamescom? Boo! Just get someone at the office to sort something out. Send the vid to Blim and he'll do the rest :p

Yes! Lead User Experience and UI Designer. Proud to be working on Driveclub. :)

Please offer HUD options and maybe reduce the size of the current UI segments that occupy the bottom centre of the screen. Completely hides so much of the cockpit. Maybe get some opacity on it and reduce the sizing.

jet1911

After Gamescom? Boo! Just get someone at the office to sort something out. Send the vid to Blim and he'll do the rest :p

How complicated can it be to shoot a video on Youtube in this day and age? Come on guys, use that Share button! ;)

Also, what is the song in the video?

I know some of you are saying its a huge difference versus what we saw at E3 BUT... really?? We didn't get any direct feed at E3 and this direct feed is 720p and for some reason the gamma seems way off as everything is too dark.

This is pretty much my reaction as well. Still not impressed.

Please hurry, my eyes need this.
This is one the games that I want to finally see in full glory the most.

Keep doing the good work.

Yup, game will look fantastic at launch. Doubt they will give us 1080p, considering it is still the alpha build. I already see the typical Evolution dev cycle at work here, so I know it will look great at launch.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Cool, thanks Rushy. One quick question if you can answer: was this captured via the PS4 or through a capture kit?

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
The bitrate on facebook is pretty poor :(

Nice to hear some engine sound but could do with being louder so we can hear if it's any good.

Top Bottom