• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fix your pathetic, shitty PSN servers, Sony

Then why have NeoGaf for anything if you're telling him not to complain about it?

I have my PS4 on WiFi and the downloads took forever. Tried to download the f2p version of DOA 5 and it took hours between the initial download and then the updates. I'm going to have it hardwired when I come back from vacation and hopefully it helps but I'm not too optimistic about it.

Wifi will never beat hardwired.

I don't care if he complains here, just saying his bitching here won't do anything plus I was being sarcastic.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I think Sony allocates servers to specific things based on when they're coming out. It's very common to get very fast speeds on downloads that aren't yet listed on the store, which is specifically why I hawk NeoGAF on PS+ day. But most recently, I started my FFXV demo in the morning it released and I was dragging that thing down closer to 8mbps. When my max speed (Ethernet - Powerline) is 8-10mbps. I know of course things slow down when more people are downloading them, but yeah. Whoever is doing Sony's hosting needs to step it up. Cloud-something company? Cloudrack?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Wow. Some of these posts are horrid reflection on the community at times.
I am one of the people who has no problems with downloads and I was PS+ member before ps4 was even announced

I also had PS+ on PS3 long before the PS4 came out, I understand what you mean.

My case was shitty wireless hardware in the PS3...I think it may still be bad overall in the PS4. Like arent there software updates for networking hardware? Its a shame this is even a thought concerning the PS4...

Recently I found out something was hogging my internet, something called net_session on my PC, related to some updates software for Aus, Adobe, Gigabyte...something. Got rid of that and speeds got better almost instantly on my PC and consoles.

Okay im gonna download Bloodbourne now

I'm wired and my PS4 is DMZ'd
for argument sake i will DL it in rest mode(never tried this yet), i'm gonna DL the whole thing not just the initial download file.

I usually get slow unless i keep pausing and resuming, but also for argument sake i will only do it once and i will use Google's DNS
from my computer i downloaded 1gig file in 43 seconds, im getting a solid/consistent 22 MB at average(thinkbroadband.com), so its not an ISP or Router problem

I also have an A Connection from pingtest.net

i'm from Ireland as ya might of guessed whats the predictions on how long it will take?

Wifi will never beat hardwired.

I don't care if he complains here, just saying his bitching here won't do anything plus I was being sarcastic.
I know it won't. I just wasn't able to move it next to my router so I can hardwire it. I only say hopefully because my friend had his hardwired and still got inconsistent speeds but that was a few months back. I say this because he lives down the block from me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've actually been shocked at how fast my PSN downloads have been lately. Way better than ever before. I wonder if it's a regional thing.

farisr

I have my PS4 on WiFi and the downloads took forever. Tried to download the f2p version of DOA 5 and it took hours between the initial download and then the updates. I'm going to have it hardwired when I come back from vacation and hopefully it helps but I'm not too optimistic about it.

Wifi sucks big time on the ps4. Whatever wifi hardware they put in is terrible.

The max I ever got over wifi, for psn speedtest, was like 24mbits. Usually ended up being around 12mbit. Wired, I'm consistently getting 50+

Deepo

Took me 3 days to download Bloodborne on a 100/10 connection. Don't know how to pause the download after the initial needed amount has been downloaded, other than restarting the PS4.

farmerboy

The thing I don't get is how inconsistent it is. Sometimes I get great speeds and at other times(like right now) its just crawling along.

Yeah me too. Sometimes I find that the ps4 just queues all this stuff at once and it just slows it all down. I'm thinking the current slowness is related to the new update.

I think Sony allocates servers to specific things based on when they're coming out. It's very common to get very fast speeds on downloads that aren't yet listed on the store, which is specifically why I hawk NeoGAF on PS+ day. But most recently, I started my FFXV demo in the morning it released and I was dragging that thing down closer to 8mbps. When my max speed (Ethernet - Powerline) is 8-10mbps. I know of course things slow down when more people are downloading them, but yeah. Whoever is doing Sony's hosting needs to step it up. Cloud-something company? Cloudrack?

I think Sony's servers are run by Amazon.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The PS3 couldnt do wireless N, and still cant after numerous hardware revisions....so that was a big problem if you were using wireless. You had to set the router to a, b, or g...cant remember which... for better speeds.

Something I still call Sony out on when the 360 could do N.

Some modems are hybrid modem/routers....something I despise. Its a lil easier to tell now but wasnt years ago.

If you had bad speeds wired.....I dont know what to say. I do believe Sony uses cheap networking hardware for its consoles...opinion of course.

What's even more shameful is that the PS4 can't do 5GHz wifi. WTF, Sony.

I love my awesome download speeds. the 2gb day onepatch for Bloodborne took less than 20 minutes to download. 50mb down/20 mb up cable internet ftw.

Jomjom

Banned
I had pretty poor speeds with the PS3, but with the PS4 it's been super fast. I'm in Southern California, so dunno if that matters. For instance I got the patch last night in about 5 seconds.

ElNino

I don't see how you people are having issues, I live in Canada which is known to have AWFUL internet and my experience is nothing like yours... very odd.
I'm in Canada, and my PSN performance has been pretty bad (for PS4, Vita and PS3). My PS4 gets about half of the download speeds that I get on the Xbox One, and they are both connected via LAN to the same router.

Joqu

Same here. I got my PS4 today. I'm Belgian. Connection is wired and the PS4's connection test gave me my regular numbers (around 40 MB/s). Surely the regular connection test speed means the problem isn't on my end?

Bloodborne patch is downloading at about 300 KB/s right now, it's atrocious. My FFXV Episode Duscae download was too so I paused that one.

Sleep mode doesn't do anything. Pausing doesn't do anything. Not happy.

cakely

That's quite the title.

Sorry to hear that, OP. Bloodborne patch came down in less than ten minutes for me on Tuesday.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I am hit or miss.. I've been in networking long enough (20+ years) to know that it's impossible to say "fix your shit sony". who knows where the problem lies. but yeah.. some days I'll download a game and hit 3-4MB/s. Other days (especially when the PS4 is grabbing like 3-4 things) and everything will magically drop to like 100-200KB/s. As others have said.. I have success with pausing everything, waiting 5-10 seconds, then starting stuff up individually.. especially useful if there's an update in there that I want/need NOW. Often I won't even resume the other downloads and will just let them finish up on their own in rest mode.

funkypie

Banned
PS4 download speeds are definitely broken. I cannot get full speed no matter what I do.

My Ps3 can get full speed using the home wifi. My PS4 is fully wired and gives pathetic speeds ALL the time. I've tried wifi, i've tried port forwarding and DMZ mode. Something is definitely wrong if my ps3 downloads faster than my ps3 through wifi.

people are not imagining things lol.

My PS3 downloads at like 4 or 5 but my PS4 is really fast. edit: PS3 WiFi PS4 LAN, but makes no difference on PS3.

Houston TX

I used to think it was a matter of location but now I think it's software maybe.

I am hit or miss.. I've been in networking long enough (20+ years) to know that it's impossible to say "fix your shit sony". who knows where the problem lies. but yeah.. some days I'll download a game and hit 3-4MB/s. Other days (especially when the PS4 is grabbing like 3-4 things) and everything will magically drop to like 100-200KB/s. As others have said.. I have success with pausing everything, waiting 5-10 seconds, then starting stuff up individually.. especially useful if there's an update in there that I want/need NOW. Often I won't even resume the other downloads and will just let them finish up on their own in rest mode.

This is exactly my experience.

Some days its better than others and pause/resume seems to fix it, at least temporarily.

It really seems to be a glitch.

hesido

KFxGUya.jpg

yes, psn is kind of trash, but i guess people would rather pay $50 a year for """"free""""" games than be able to download them this century

*charging

nib95

Banned
I get fairly solid speeds here in the UK, but I'm using a Powerline adapter to connect via Ethernet instead of WiFi, which I find to be pretty shit. It's still not perfect though. My actual connection is about 25mb, but I get round 18-20mb with the PS4. Still plenty quick enough for downloads etc. The Blodborne update (nearly 3gb) took me around 15 minutes for example, and that's while I was gaming (Driveclub with constant sever updates and challenges).

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
What's even more shameful is that the PS4 can't do 5GHz wifi. WTF, Sony.

Yea....that too.

Another thing I noticed to go along with pausing and restarting....I noticed when I let the game and patch download together for digital games it went faster than trying to pause one of them. Dont know why but it did.

nowarning

PSN has always been slow for me, right from launch night with my PS3 up until PS4. I've even moved house in that time and it's still slow, my ISP has always been Virgin Media so I wonder if it's something on their end. I used to get around 2-3mb download speed on a 60Mb line, I'm on a 152Mb line now and it was no better, always plugged directly into the router. I've tinkered around, static ip addresses, port forwarding, DMZ, the lot.

It's not the end of the world for me anyway though it is a bit annoying if you want to play something pronto, although the last few years I've become less and less bothered about playing the latest and greatest RIGHT NOW so I can wait.

I have my PS4 on WiFi and the downloads took forever. Tried to download the f2p version of DOA 5 and it took hours between the initial download and then the updates.

Just d/l that yesterday and it took like maybe 30 minutes. I just wish I knew why some have great routing and others don't.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I just know that if you make your own changes too there routers they can performe horrible the next time they send out an update and needs too be resetted.

Fiber, there's no router or modem, just an Ethernet outlet in the wall. Well, I have a router of my own, of course, but nothing from them.

Derpcrawler

not when everyone else was trying to download it as well. Others were reporting that it was taking several hours on launch day (vs. my < 20 minutes)

I downloaded game and patch as soon as digital version went live (HK PSN store, so there was no pre-load, not even pre-order available). Patch and 5Gb launcher downloaded in less than 10 minutes, the rest of 29Gb downloaded in about 20mins. So speeds averaged at 200Mbps, which is very unusual for PSN in my case, since my average speeds on PSN hover around 15-30Mbps, as I said on previous page, while Live, Steam, Origin and Uplay have no problems hitting 300Mbps+ constantly.

Rationally I would think that game and patch for said game, that just went live and was expected by many would take long to download, especially considering my past experience with PSN, but instead it was the fastest PSN ever been for me that day. Hell, today it took me only 10-20 seconds to download 2.5 update as soon as it hit the servers.

Top Bottom