• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fix your pathetic, shitty PSN servers, Sony

I have network equipment worth maybe 6 times more than PS4. Hell, my internet monthly fees are almost half the cost of PS4. I have pretty fast fiber with complicated routing I like to tinker and screw around with, with IPv6 tunneling for all international connections going through dedicated "tier 1" Level3 line, straight through US fiber backbone (i.e. the name of ISP bellow). I give Sony every chance possible and they stumbled every time.

Speeds on my IPv6:
4243485535.png

Speeds on IPv4 connection:
4243494571.png

Both are tested to LA. Again, PSN speeds are greatly variable, with or without IPv6. It's the only device on my network I allowed 100% access from port 0 to port 65535, both in and out from my home, yet it can download at 600Kbps, then jumps to 30Mbps, then back to 2Mbps, then PSN randomly decides that tier 1 ISP is good enough for it and I have stable 200Mbps+ when I download Bloodborne in around 20 mins.

So no, I take "did you check your router" or "it might be your ISP" as an insult.

I wish we could get those speeds here in OC but 300 is the highest in my area at the moment. I also have the same issue as you with inconsistent speeds. Sometimes games download in minutes sometimes up to an hour. Don't know if it's because we are in a high traffic area or what but my PSN speeds are the only thing that is wonky. Steam speeds are fine and I download a few games a week/mods without a hitch.

I think Sony's servers are run by Amazon.

That might be the problem.
Of course you would have to check out the SLA Sony has with AWS but couldn't it be that AWS doesn't react all too fast (or at all) to increases in usage?
Bloodbourne + Update came out just now, before that everything was fine for OP.
The usage of PSN will probably drop in a couple of days and everything will be fine again.

MS can handle these usage peaks a lot better because they can allocate server time from other service. But if you like BB that won't help you.

So I have a question

Arent we supposed to play a game while we're downloading? I mean the game youre downloading

What happened to that? Its possible on xbone but not ps4

Sorry to hear.... my speeds are great!

*slow claps*

Hey man, thanks for such an insightful and helpful post.

Why don't you become an over the phone I.T. tech support guru, you can listen to grandmas tell you their problems and then tell them your computer works just fine.

I've had a PS4 for 2 days and it downloads slow as fuck.

It took 10 hours to download the Bloodborne soundtrack which is fucking unacceptable.

It took 4 hours to download the first patch for Bloodborne also, when I speed test on my internet I get 120mbps yet my PS4 shows 52 but only seems to run at 5.

I think Sony's servers are run by Amazon.

They aren't. Sony runs their CDN servers through Akamai. The fault for your slow speeds likely lies between your ISP and Sony/Akamai for offering shit service. It's why changing your DNS settings *can* speed up your downloads. It's also why downloading things on PS3/4 is so awful and yet multiplayer experiences can be largely smooth and problem-free.

I think the majority of fault for this stuff lies with Sony and Akamai. Lots and lots and LOTS of companies use CDNs, but PSN is the only service that I've consistently heard people with otherwise fine internet speeds complain about their service.

Try some public DNS settings, OP, see if that helps.

Also, the people in this thread blaming the user because *their* experience is fine are adorable. You guys seem to have a real firm grip on reality.

edit: Here is a link about how Akamai works and the likely issue (and also some good info about CDNs in general). Long story short: complaints about the speeds on PSN are very, very legitimate.

Mikey Jr.

So I have a question

Arent we supposed to play a game while we're downloading? I mean the game youre downloading

What happened to that? Its possible on xbone but not ps4

You are incorrect.

Bloodborne for instance lets you play after you download 5 gigs.

Watchdogs let me play quick, so quickly in fact that I couldn't progress any further in the first level until it downloaded more.

I want suspend/resume so badly. Been downloading for 6 hours. So stupidly slow. And only the PS4 for me. Even my Vita downloaded Persona 3 Portable which is only 1GB in less than an hour. Sony really needs to fix this. :/

Subaru

Proxy Tutorial

1. Assuming the computer is running Windows and your PS3 is on the same local area network as the computer:
2. Find your computer's IP address in the Control Panel - Network Connections. This is probably something like 192.168.1.100. If it does not start with 192.168 then you might have a public IP and this won't work (at least not easily).
3. Download Privoxy from their website: http://www.privoxy.org/
4. Run the Privoxy installer. When it is done the Privoxy window should appear.
5. Go to the Options menu and select 'Edit Main Configuration'
6. Find the line that says "listen-address 127.0.0.1:8118". Should be about halfway through the file.
7. Replace 127.0.0.1 with the computer's IP address (should start with 192.168). The :8118 part should stay.
8. Save and close the configuration.
9. If you have a firewall on your computer you need to allow access to Privoxy on port 8118.
10. On the PS3 open the network configuration settings. When it asks if you want to use a proxy say yes and enter your computer's IP address and port 8118.
11. Make sure the conenction test works and we're done! See if your speeds are faster and let us know the results.

I used this tutorial because my PS3 had the worst download speed EVER and I still use it for PS4 and Vita. (I don't need it for Wii U, 360 and ONE). I must admit that I didn't need to use this for PS4 for a while, but then the download speed was getting worse. Also, it works both with wi-fi and cable.

I don't know why this works, but it does. So, give it a try.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Tried to download Bloodborne yesterday here in Sweden and I got around 12GB in six hours. I'm on a 100/100mbit connection so I usually get at least 10MB/s on steam and other stuff.

RexNovis

Banned
It seems to be a time of day/region issue. I have a fiver internet connection here in Japan and clock in at around 800mbps on average when running speedtest.net. When I connect to the U.S. Servers during 4pm-12am EST my download speed caps out at MBPS after about 1am it bumps up to 8mbps. But 24/7 here in Japan I get speeds of 25mbps or more.

The fact that I getting faster speeds from American servers than people actually living in America is fucking crazy. I can only assume it's due to my amazing Internet ($35 per month for 800mbps FUCK YEAH) I'm guessing they just need more server bandwidth in America. The massive success of the console has likely put a lot of unexpected strain on their meager bandwidth allotment. Hopefully things improve. They have said on multiple occasions that they are investing heavily in online infrastructure so eventually it's bound to pay off at some point.

Its now saying it will take 27 hours to download the last 10 gigs of blood borne.......

That would be 30 minutes tops on steam AND using WiFi from my PC.....

crankyxt

I get good speeds most of the time. However, what I noticed is that if something says a couple of hours I will pause it and start it around 2 times and then it always speeds up.

Give it a try. Pausing the download a couple time always works for me.

Wow. Some of these posts are horrid reflection on the community at times.
I am one of the people who has no problems with downloads and I was PS+ member before ps4 was even announced

But that was the problem, and it even infected Microsoft.

Sony realized that free online was killing them, and we jealous of the money Microsoft was raking in. They knew they needed to start charging, but couldn't get away with just adding that cost out of nowhere. she they introduced in on the PS3 as a stupid game library service.

I knew full well that they would begin forcing it for online play on the PS4. But they couldn't stop giving away games because they trained their customers so well. So now, instead of getting $50 a month, they get that minus whatever it costs to distribute the free games.

Microsoft ended up feeling forced to match, so XBL lost revenue, too. And XBL has not been as stable this gen as it was last gen. I don't think it is a coincidence that it correlates with now giving away free games.

I didn't mind paying for XBL as a service, but it grinds my gears that I have to hope the games I get are worth the outages we have seen. And it's all because Sony was clueless about online service on the PS3, and have now muddied the service for everyone. I'm just glad XBL hasn't sunk to PSN levels of crappiness.

Worse, the practice has lead to a ton of people not buying some games because you can now predict that you will get them for "free" later. So, yeah, Microsoft and Sony pay these publishers and eve for their games, but not until after their new online strategy already hurt their sales at launch.

PS+ is one of the worst things that happened to console gaming.

Blastoise

Banned
When I use my PS4 my speeds are great. When using the PS3 I want to pull my hair out. Both are connected to the same network.

SSReborn

But that was the problem, and it even infected Microsoft.

Sony realized that free online was killing them, and we jealous of the money Microsoft was raking in. They knew they needed to start charging, but couldn't get away with just adding that cost out of nowhere. she they introduced in on the PS3 as a stupid game library service.

I knew full well that they would begin forcing it for online play on the PS4. But they couldn't stop giving away games because they trained their customers so well. So now, instead of getting $50 a month, they get that minus whatever it costs to distribute the free games.

Microsoft ended up feeling forced to match, so XBL lost revenue, too. And XBL has not been as stable this gen as it was last gen. I don't think it is a coincidence that it correlates with now giving away free games.

I didn't mind paying for XBL as a service, but it grinds my gears that I have to hope the games I get are worth the outages we have seen. And it's all because Sony was clueless about online service on the PS3, and have now muddied the service for everyone. I'm just glad XBL hasn't sunk to PSN levels of crappiness.

Worse, the practice has lead to a ton of people not buying some games because you can now predict that you will get them for "free" later. So, yeah, Microsoft and Sony pay these publishers and eve for their games, but not until after their new online strategy already hurt their sales at launch.

PS+ is one of the worst things that happened to console gaming.
Lol

LAA

I'm worried about my PS4 speeds now too, I don't recall having much problems for online play, but yesterday I discovered I'm not capable of being a host for share play, which irritates me as I don't see why not.
Recently, we got a new router as speeds for devices around the house were much slower than we should have been getting, so we got a TP-LINK AC750 router, so we also now have some devices on 5GHz, mostly just the phones support it really, and everything else on 2.4GHz.
We have noticed improvements speed wise on every device really, even the PS4 slightly, as the upload speed previously wasnt even getting to 1mbps, but not its getting to just under 2 or over 2. Download speed still seems to hover around 12mbps though, where my laptop for instance is on 24mbps down, 18 mbps up.
Just getting annoyed and don't understand why the PS4 is getting these similar speeds. I tried all sorts of things yesterday, tried the powerline ethernet cable, bizarrely slowler with that, though slightly, tried setting my MTU to the maximum it could tolerate without fragmentation, tried setting to DNS to googles, (Which namebench thought was the best for me, which I thought would be a problem since I'm in UK), tried binding the same IP for the PS4 using its mac address and setting DMZ to that ip address. Still no improvements like I'm hoping for.
Run out of ideas at this point.

geordiemp

*slow claps*

Hey man, thanks for such an insightful and helpful post.

Why don't you become an over the phone I.T. tech support guru, you can listen to grandmas tell you their problems and then tell them your computer works just fine.

I've had a PS4 for 2 days and it downloads slow as fuck.

It took 10 hours to download the Bloodborne soundtrack which is fucking unacceptable.

It took 4 hours to download the first patch for Bloodborne also, when I speed test on my internet I get 120mbps yet my PS4 shows 52 but only seems to run at 5.

I had same issue, solved it by setting up my Ps4 correctly.

1. Manual network settings, give Ps4 a fixed IP address.
2. Use an Ethernet cable
3. Set up optimum MTU (I used 1492, you need to test your router)

I Get about 50 mbs download on PSN with 25 up using BThomehub 5 UK optical fibre, not as high as the 75 mb full whack, but Downloaded handsome jack in about an hour or so....

Google can show you the way...MTU is main culprit as its default is 1500 on Ps4, and most routers that is too high resulting in sending split packets, slowing things down considerably.

For a quick fix, try setting your MTU to 1492 then 1472 and test speeds. For the optimum one, you need a laptop and do the 'MTU test for your router'

Digital downloads is no longer an issue, I don't notice it at all.

HGH

Banned
Man, I find this hilarious. I've lived my whole life with sub 150kb speeds and only recently managed to upgrade to around 200kb (when not doing anything else to boot). 20GB in 6 hours is like some sort of crazy pipedream to me. People should temper their standards, and maybe finding some other distractions could help.

LAA

Just tried plugging the PS4 directly to the router too (Though its not really feasible to keep it like this as theres a wire blocking entry to the room where the router is, ha ha), and while it did increase download speed to 29mbps, more in line with what everything else is getting, upload speed still stayed around 2mbps. Slightly increase to 2.8mbps, the new maximum I've seen.
And still share play still thinks its slow.

Klossen

Banned
Wat? It's one of the best things to ever happen to console gaming. Shit loads of diverse, quality content and games for next to nothing.

It sucks for those not interested in Sony's rental service and just want to play online games for free. I hate how people rationalize paying for something that was free for PS3 because we get stuff that we don't even want. You can keep your PS+ games, Sony. I just want to play online for free. Is that really so much to ask? Especially when I buy an online-oriented 60€ game and I can only access 1/3 of that game.

sunnz

1 minute its downloads at 7MB a second, then goes down to like 500mb a second for no reason.

Inconsistent

So fucked up.

bryanee

Christ, I'm glad I don't have these issues. I downloaded the full BB download in a couple of hours.

This thread does bring back so horrible memories of the download speeds I used to get on a phat PS3, fucking terrible. Oddly never had the issues with the first PS3 redesign.

It sucks for those not interested in Sony's rental service and just want to play online games for free. I hate how people rationalize paying for something that was free for PS3 because we get stuff that we don't even want. You can keep your PS+ games, Sony. I just want to play online for free. Is that really so much to ask? Especially when I buy an online-oriented 60€ game and I can only access 1/3 of that game.

When online is a service that needs to support millions of more people than the PS3 while also providing free online for the PS3 and Vita, yeah it is too much to ask.

Also if you are buying an online oriented game and you don't have PS+ its your own damn fault. You should have known better.

On the flipside, I dislike when people dismiss the service as pointless simply because it doesn't happen to contain content they like. It's unfortunate you don't like it but that doesn't mean those that do are suffering from some weird kind of Stockholm syndrome.

As for me my speeds are always consistent.
I have slow internet anyway. :p

DC1

I have network equipment worth maybe 6 times more than PS4. Hell, my internet monthly fees are almost half the cost of PS4. I have pretty fast fiber with complicated routing I like to tinker and screw around with, with IPv6 tunneling for all international connections going through dedicated "tier 1" Level3 line, straight through US fiber backbone (i.e. the name of ISP bellow). I give Sony every chance possible and they stumbled every time.

Speeds on my IPv6:
4243485535.png

Speeds on IPv4 connection:
4243494571.png

Both are tested to LA. Again, PSN speeds are greatly variable, with or without IPv6. It's the only device on my network I allowed 100% access from port 0 to port 65535, both in and out from my home, yet it can download at 600Kbps, then jumps to 30Mbps, then back to 2Mbps, then PSN randomly decides that tier 1 ISP is good enough for it and I have stable 200Mbps+ when I download Bloodborne in around 20 mins.

So no, I take "did you check your router" or "it might be your ISP" as an insult.

This is some early morning 'win'. It works almost as good as coffee.

I have also been baffled at my PS4 temperamental download speeds. Now back to reading the remaining pages of the post for a better bandaid solution.

Hollycat

I know PSN isn't the fastest, but I mean, I just downloaded 3 multi gigabyte patches in about an hour, and my wifi is half a football field away in another building.
literally, that isn't an exaggeration.

Dynomutt

I have noticed that download speeds are increased when downloading in rest mode, its weird. I have had downloads increase 2-3x faster in rest mode. I think it has something to do with the data requests in the OS i.e. friends lists, what's new, and other background processes. Odd.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Man, I find this hilarious. I've lived my whole life with sub 150kb speeds and only recently managed to upgrade to around 200kb (when not doing anything else to boot). 20GB in 6 hours is like some sort of crazy pipedream to me. People should temper their standards, and maybe finding some other distractions could help.

No, people should complain about bad services, specially when they pay for them.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

If I pay for something I want it to work. If you're paying for 200kbs and you consistently got 10kbs would you complain?

nib95

Banned

Oh right, yea that I completely agree with. It really does suck ass that we're forced to pay to play online now, though PS+ as a service does make it more bare able. But bare in mind, PS+ was around before we were made to pay for online, which is why I still regard the service in high esteem. I think the online play fee was likely a necessary strategy for Sony because of it's success for Microsoft. If they had not gone that route this time around, it likely would have put them at a massive disadvantage revenue wise, revenue that ultimately can be used to better leverage the system in other ways.

1 minute its downloads at 7MB a second, then goes down to like 500mb a second for no reason.

Inconsistent

So fucked up.

I had this same issue. I thought it was the power extender I was using (has an anti noise and interference feature), but it could very well be the shitty WiFi adapter in the console (though I get similar issues with my other consoles). Once I switched to a Powerline adapter with Ethernet, I've been getting consistently good speeds. This is the one I currently use. It's quicker than the TP-Link one I tested and still wireless to the actual router itself.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JIVZVNS/

Mengetsu

Since 2.0 it's been horrible. On and off. The firmware to put in pausing downloads seems to have messes with the speeds in the firmware.

Devil

I don't know much about server stuff, I have set up the correct NAT-Type and am connected to the PS4 via cable, though.

For me as a non-expert, I get the impression that Sony is somehow artificially slowing down DL speeds to a certain percent based on the user's max speed. I think so because I have a terribly slow (but steady) max DL of 700kb/s, but at least speedtests always show that I indeed get these speeds from my laptop and PC. But even though my max speed is already so low, the PSN still often slows down to 50% or less of that speed.
At the same time I hear similar issues from people with max DL speeds of like 50MB and up. Many "just" get a few MB/s instead of full speed. But this is still much more than my 700kb/s max or the >~300kb/s I often get.

If others "just" get a few MB/s instead of full speed when the PSN is fooling around, why can't I at least get my tiny 700kb/s consistently?

Klossen

Banned
When online is a service that needs to support millions of more people than the PS3 while also providing free online for the PS3 and Vita, yeah it is too much to ask.

Also if you are buying an online oriented game and you don't have PS+ its your own damn fault. You should have known better.

You underestimate just how many assumed that PS4 online is free because PS3 online was. What's the PS+ ratio per PS4 owners? 50%? And since CoD and GTAV are the most popular PS4 games, that would also mean that there are a bunch of people with PS4's out there who can't access a good portion of the games they've payed for. Yes, it's the consumer's fault. But that doesn't make it ideal either.

Your argument also falls apart when considering Steam and PC gaming in general. PC has had free online play for decades now, and that model seems to be sustainable as there's not hints of it changing.But that's not what this thread is about so I'll stop here. Sorry for going off-topic.

I dislike when people dismiss the service as pointless simply because it doesn't happen to contain content they like.

That's not really why some people dislike the service. Well, at least not specifically.

Here's why: you can't control the content whatsoever, you can only hope Sony includes something interesting. And even then, if you haven't bought the games included in PS+ yet, chances are they aren't that interesting anyway.

That's not relevant.

Look at PC gaming. No fees and it works even better.

Multiplayer fees should stay with the developer if they want to make a multiplayer game.

HGH

Banned
No, people should complain about bad services, specially when they pay for them.
If I pay for something I want it to work. If you're paying for 200kbs and you consistently got 10kbs would you complain?
Well, technically I pay for 2MB/s but what I actually is what I posted above, so yeah I don't complain. Everyone else gets the same thing and they don't complain, so why should I? I'm not gonna march down to the service provider and demand they give me special treatment.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Well, technically I pay for 2MB/s but what I actually is what I posted above, so yeah I don't complain. Everyone else gets the same thing and they don't complain, so why should I? I'm not gonna march down to the service provider and demand they give me special treatment.

Mind running a speed test?

kyser73

PSN is spread over AWS, Rackspace & Akamai, probably some others too.

Each one of them will have separate carriage agreements with network providers, who in turn may have further agreements with lack carriers.

It is likely that downloads flip between CDNs & network owners, and each of those points is potentially a bottleneck on your speed no matter what your setup is.

My experience in Australia with a 4MB/s line is consistently 75% max even during early evenings where most download traffic is load balanced (torrents get about 500kb/s).

This makes no sense. People should lower their standards because ... your standards are low?

And somehow you pay for 2MB/s but get 200KB/s and you chose to not complain?

what

May I ask where you live and how much this ISP charges?

monreader

Neo Member
I just brought Bloodborne today and I was welcomed by a patch that will supposedly take 4 hours. My internet connection is 140Mb, and this shit is unacceptable and infuriating! Why wont Sony do anything about this problem since it has been wide spread for a long time and it is more annoying considering psn is a payed service now. Fix your shitty servers Sony.

Lothars

I just brought Bloodborne today and I was welcomed by a patch that will supposedly take 4 hours. My internet connection is 140Mb, and this shit is unacceptable and infuriating! Why wont Sony do anything about this problem since it has been wide spread for a long time and it is more annoying considering psn is a payed service now. Fix your shitty servers Sony.
It's because it's not widespread, there's millions of people that don't have the problem.

I am not saying it's not a problem for some but I don't think it's exactly Sony's fault.

Withnail

They aren't. Sony runs their CDN servers through Akamai. The fault for your slow speeds likely lies between your ISP and Sony/Akamai for offering shit service. It's why changing your DNS settings *can* speed up your downloads. It's also why downloading things on PS3/4 is so awful and yet multiplayer experiences can be largely smooth and problem-free.

I think the majority of fault for this stuff lies with Sony and Akamai. Lots and lots and LOTS of companies use CDNs, but PSN is the only service that I've consistently heard people with otherwise fine internet speeds complain about their service.

Try some public DNS settings, OP, see if that helps.

Also, the people in this thread blaming the user because *their* experience is fine are adorable. You guys seem to have a real firm grip on reality.

edit: Here is a link about how Akamai works and the likely issue (and also some good info about CDNs in general). Long story short: complaints about the speeds on PSN are very, very legitimate.

That's a useful link. I've posted in many of the 'Slow PSN' threads about the importance of DNS settings but it seems to fall on deaf ears, I presume because it's not widely understood how CDNs work. I believe there are many people using geographically distant DNS servers on PS3/PS4 to get around Netflix region locking, without realising the side effects.

Top Bottom