• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Love this game, but the shooting mechanics, hit detection, damage, etc is fucking garbage.

Hanzou

Love this game, but the shooting mechanics, hit detection, damage, etc is fucking garbage.
I kind of agree. I love the gameplay and everything but the wag the guns feel when shooting and the way the bless connect just feels bad. Hard to explain, just feels off.

Gator86

Best game so far was 5th just now. Like 6 or 7 games in and it kind of sucks to have no opportunity to really mess with the weapons. No clue why there's only a handful in the waiting area. It's fucking pointless.

My looting is always shit. I have white weapons against fully shielded guys with purple guns. Is the loot randomly generated or always in the same spot?

jet1911

Best game so far was 5th just now. Like 6 or 7 games in and it kind of sucks to have no opportunity to really mess with the weapons. No clue why there's only a handful in the waiting area. It's fucking pointless.

My looting is always shit. I have white weapons against fully shielded guys with purple guns. Is the loot randomly generated or always in the same spot?

Random. Try to find golden chests. Most of the times they’ll drop blue potion.

The loot locations are fixed iirc. But the loot itself is randomized. Chest locations are fixed I believe as well.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I did a shitty job of sneaking up on some guy while he was building and he killed me. Little did he know that I had just let off a rocket before my death and we both ended up dead. See you in hell bro.

Ugh, perfect chance to win, final three and we were all snipers. I was on a mountain. I shot a guy, missed, and got sniped because I gave away my location. RIP.

Ugh, perfect chance to win, final three and we were all snipers. I was on a mountain. I shot a guy, missed, and got sniped because I gave away my location. RIP.

best-not-miss.jpg

Trup1aya

Got top 4 my first try, 5 kills... Got myself killed trying to experiment with building controls... died to the storm.

I dont understand the complaints about the shooting. Seems responsive and balanced.

Enco

what's the point in crafting stuff in this?

i saw one guy building a fort up on a huge hill but what's the point if you're being forced inwards all the time? unless you get really lucky and don't have to move then yeah it'd be good to have a fort but i haven't felt the need. i just land, find a gun, stay hidden, and keep moving in while letting everybody else kill each other.
This. The initial idea is cool but you quickly realise it’s 100% pointless.

Pretty dumb mechanic.

Gunplay sucks, art style isn’t that great, map is horrendous and getting into a match feels really slow compared to PUBG.

Zeel

*Spend 5 minutes cutting down trees*
*Build really cool fort*
20 seconds later
“Guess we have to leave now”

Building a really cool fort is hardly a practical use of the mechanic.

Usually it goes more like this:

- Cut down some trees in 20 seconds
- Get surrounded by enemies
- Panic and barricade yourself inside 4 walls and a roof without an exit within 10 seconds

Building is really fast in the game and something you use quickly for a specific function, then discard it and move on a minute later.

*Build really cool fort*
20 seconds later
”Guess we have to leave now"

Guess we have to leave... oh that mountain looks safe, how bout I craft a scaffold to get up?

Guess we have to leave... oh shit I'm under fire. Maybe, I'll build walls while advancing for cover.

etc. etc.

Enemy has a cool fort that I can't reach... How bout I build a way to flank them? https://clips.twitch.tv/CrepuscularThoughtfulNostrilSMOrc

Maximus P

I came across 2 teams joining forces earlier. 2 teams of 4 helping each other out.

Reported all of them. Hopefully the good chaps at Epic will come down hard on them.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
*Build really cool fort*
20 seconds later
”Guess we have to leave now"

Forts are pretty good in the final 10 or so, when the circle is smaller. If it closes in on your fort the other people are going to have a rough time and it's fairly likely to happen at a certain size.

But otherwise it's building stairs for vantage points, panels to get across to other high areas, walling off a teammate to revive, doing a quick 2 wall in front, one on the side and making a staircase to peek and snipe. You have a lot of power at your fingertips at any moment.

Ploid 3.0

Also you can gather stuff just passing by them. Have your pick axe out until you see someone as you travel. Make the switch button something you're comfortable with. Build ramps on top of unreachable areas like a tall hill you suspect someone is on.

Learn how to quickly build a crow's nest (4 sides, one ramp in the middle. You can make them taller if you want. Use the ramp to peak out only exposing a small part of your body.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Also you can gather stuff just passing by them. Have your pick axe out until you see someone as you travel. Make the switch button something you're comfortable with. Build ramps on top of unreachable areas like a tall hill you suspect someone is on.

Learn how to quickly build a crow's nest (4 sides, one ramp in the middle. You can make them taller if you want. Use the ramp to peak out only exposing a small part of your body.

Yeah, just walking through a building hitting the pickaxe off all the walls as you pass gets you a ton of materials and keeps you moving.

CookTrain

Has anyone got mileage out of the traps you can find? All I can think to do is set-and-forget and hope someone gets killed by them accidentally somewhen.

*Splinter

Has anyone got mileage out of the traps you can find? All I can think to do is set-and-forget and hope someone gets killed by them accidentally somewhen.
Only used them once when I was camping in a house that happened to be at the centre of an early circle. It did get a kill though

belinho

Anyone knows if you still get the win in squads if you die early but your team eventually gets the win?

Almost happened twice to me, died early, kept watching my team because they were really good, but unortunately both times they got #2, but my screen said my team was #22 and #27 (i don't even understand how could it be #27, shouldn't there be 25 teams max?)

Lol. Traps are brutal. I was in a squad match and we were in a house and our entire squad was wiped from a wall, floor and an electrical traps. We didnt realize until it was too late.

Alienous

As the circle gets smaller you can set it up in one building and flee to another. People will gravitate towards entering buildings that don't seem occupied.

CookTrain

Lol. Traps are brutal. I was in a squad match and we were in a house and our entire squad was wiped from a wall, floor and an electrical traps. We didnt realize until it was too late.

That's awesome to hear... I mean, also not, unlucky for you guys :p But that they're viable is something I'll have to try taking better advantage of.

dengatron

Anyone knows if you still get the win in squads if you die early but your team eventually gets the win?

Almost happened twice to me, died early, kept watching my team because they were really good, but unortunately both times they got #2, but my screen said my team was #22 and #27 (i don't even understand how could it be #27, shouldn't there be 25 teams max?)

yes, and no there can be a ton of teams in squads, its any combination of people

Perineum

I tried this today at last, and I liked it, but in its current state it doesn't have enough to sustain me wanting to come back.

I need an avatar I can customize. I want gun camos for when I pick up certain guns. Let's get more going with the UI. Leaderboards and stats. Duos.

I know most of this is coming soon, but right now it's a beta test and I'm all for it since there is no other options for this genre on PS4.

G-Bus

Banned
This is kind of addicting. It being so bare bones is starting to ware on me a bit but I'm not complaining. Just helps me appreciate what's to come that much more.

Enjoy the look over PUBG. Haven't played it or any other battleground type of game before so I don't have anything to compare fortnite to.

Can easily see why PUBG is so popular.

Ploid 3.0

Can't trick the trickster. Ice cold man.

On the subject of people not realizing legendaries are on the ground, I was watching a vid of a stream where people didn't notice a legendary was beside them for a bit.

https://youtu.be/6WNE0OjM8sw?t=990

Also some good use of building in it somewhere.

Got my first win ever in a two-man squad game. I ended up wiping two pairs of enemies in the final circle for the victory. Fucking exhilarating.

they should show the damage numbers in the waiting area so you can see which gun more effective.

Top Bottom