• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 will require a day 1 free DLC download

Neo 007

You know,as far as I'm concerned,if your buying an X-Bone and Forza 5 WITHOUT having an internet connection,or the possibility to connect at some stage in the near future.....then really,what the fuck are you doing?

SmokyDave

Flicking through this thread has convinced me that MS shouldn't have pulled a 180 on the DRM. I'm convinced people would've sucked it up.

Hanmik

Sorry, I fail to see how this is even worth getting worked up over. Fairly certain they are doing this to maximize content, you will be able to play while downloading. In a sense it's not so different then buying a steam key or sitting through a mandatory install. Really, at some point, people are looking to complain about anything, and it's getting tiresome.

Ms has made it fairly clear from the start that XB1 is a connected console. It's the only aspect of their message that hasn't been a murky, convoluted mess. If your Internet is so shitty or inconsistent, in all seriousness, you should stay away. You will not have a good experience.

they even are so kind to nofify all buyers on their own site..

•
Xbox Live requires broadband internet (ISP fees apply), a Microsoft account and an account on Xbox Live in an Xbox One-supported Xbox Live country/region. Additional subscriptions, internet speed and/or requirements apply for some features.

•
Kinect Sensor for Xbox One (included) and periodic system software updates required for continued use; significant updates may be required during set-up and over time (ISP fees apply).

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one/disclaimer

Sorry, I fail to see how this is even worth getting worked up over. Fairly certain they are doing this to maximize content, you will be able to play while downloading. In a sense it's not so different then buying a steam key or sitting through a mandatory install. Really, at some point, people are looking to complain about anything, and it's getting tiresome.

Ms has made it fairly clear from the start that XB1 is a connected console. It's the only aspect of their message that hasn't been a murky, convoluted mess. If your Internet is so shitty or inconsistent, in all seriousness, you should stay away. You will not have a good experience.

Because it kind of goes against everything that the notion of a game console means to a majority of people.

Yes it's like Steam, yes it's not the end of the world - but at the end of the day the question is, Why?

It's certainly NOT about maximizing content - the content would certainly fit on a disc. It's not like the free Day 1 DLC will be 100GBs.

It's certainly not to my benefit as a consumer - I will pay full price to get a physical copy only to download a majority of it. Time and money lost for nothing there.

Ultimately, if I want to go through this shit why do I not use Steam instead anyway?

You are defending something that makes no sense on the grounds that, well, you know, "deal with it".

And that's just not good enough in my book.

Chobel

Sorry, I fail to see how this is even worth getting worked up over. Fairly certain they are doing this to maximize content, you will be able to play while downloading.
The problem is that you have to download that content to play the game from the disk(At least this what I get from the article)
In a sense it's not so different then buying a steam key or sitting through a mandatory install.
It's different because the disk is supposed to be an alternative to the digital game, play directly and don't download anything.
Really, at some point, people are looking to complain about anything, and it's getting tiresome.
There are legitimate concerns that the game feel rushed and many people (including me) really want FM5 to be in the best state possible.
No argue there.

test_account

XP-39C²
I see this as a very legit reason. Concidering that it is a launch game, the developers havnt had the chance to work with final devkits through the entire developement cycle. Forza 5 is also a big titled game, so i see why they want that extra time for developement, and this way the disc version wont be worse (in case someone doesnt download the patch/DLC stuff).

People are just scared this might become a trend, where the game can't be played unless a download is done. So it's basically the same complaint as when a 24h connection was required. The bottomline is: you need internet to play.. And some people don't have that luxury apparently. It wouldn't affect me at all but i understand the worries.

Because several million Xbox 360 owners did not connect their console to the internet (maybe because they could not connect it)?

Ms has made it fairly clear from the start that XB1 is a connected console. It's the only aspect of their message that hasn't been a murky, convoluted mess.

I hope for their sake that they will fix their message. With big warnings on the console and game packaging. Because otherwise they will face legal issues.

If your Internet is so shitty or inconsistent, in all seriousness, you should stay away. You will not have a good experience.

That's a great business model. Alienate a considerable part of your consumer base because... because what actually? Because Microsoft's game studios aren't able to hold deadlines? Great.

Hanmik

Gemüsepizza;71022201 said:
Because several million Xbox 360 owners did not connect their console to the internet (maybe because they could not connect it)?

didn´t the Xbox360 have a day one Patch that was required..?

bj00rn_

Banned
Bleh.. playing game are so complicated nowadays

Remember when we just need to boot up from disc? good time.

I remember booting up my games from these:

Tdkc60cassette.jpg

Honestly, I haven't used a disc in over 2 years (well, I installed FSX a couple of months ago because no DL version..). But I digress :)

I don't see the big deal in this. I suspect most people up in arms are those who aren't going to buy the game anyway, or have happily downloaded GBs worth of Forza- and Gran Turismo-patches/free DLC without thinking about it.

didn´t the Xbox360 have a day one Patch that was required..?
Even if it did have, mandatory firmware updates were included in disc based games.

I don't see the big deal in this. I suspect most people up in arms are those who aren't going to buy the game anyway, or have happily downloaded GBs worth of Forza- and Gran Turismo-patches/free DLC without thinking about it.

I was never prevented from playing the games before having downloaded GBs worth of Forza- and Gran Turismo-patches/free DLC.

patapuf

I hope for their sake that they will fix their message. With big warnings on the console and game packaging. Because otherwise they will face legal issues.

That's a great business model. Alienate a considerable part of your consumer base because... because what actually? Because Microsoft's game studios aren't able to hold deadlines? Great.

The console itself needs to be online for a day 1 patch (to patch out the always online DRM, ironically). If you don't have internet you can't use the Xbox one.

That part of the customer base is already alienated/shut out.

Pwn

they even are so kind to nofify all buyers on their own site..

Xbox Live requires broadband internet (ISP fees apply), a Microsoft account and an account on Xbox Live in an Xbox One-supported Xbox Live country/region. Additional subscriptions, internet speed and/or requirements apply for some features.

•
Kinect Sensor for Xbox One (included) and periodic system software updates required for continued use; significant updates may be required during set-up and over time (ISP fees apply).

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one/disclaimer

Could you be so kind to point out the part of " XBOX ONE REQUIRES INTERNET TO PLAY GAME" ?

Hanmik

Could you be so kind to point out the part of " XBOX ONE REQUIRES INTERNET TO PLAY GAME" ?

Initial set-up and updates require broadband internet and an account on Xbox Live in an Xbox One-supported Xbox Live country (not all Xbox Live countries); ISP fees apply.

I guess this covers it (in Microsoft land)..

Yeah, I see no problem with required day 1 DLC! After all its free! FREE DLC!

Seriously , is this actually required as in you can't boot/play the game without it? That would be absurd, especially if its a retail copy.

It's certainly NOT about maximizing content - the content would certainly fit on a disc. It's not like the free Day 1 DLC will be 100GBs.

It's not an issue of space, it's time available.

If they were charging for this I could see it being an issue. As Modus said, if you have some sort of internet problems don't buy an Xbox One.

Microsoft has the right to define their target market.

The Xbox One is for people with broadband internet. They've gone as far as directly state it's not for you if you don't have regular access to that.

Any customer should be aware of what they are purchasing when they buy a product or service. A customer that is buying an Xbox One is purchasing a connected device and to ensure they have a good experience for their money they should only purchase that if they have broadband internet.
The console itself needs to be online for a day 1 patch (to patch out the always online DRM, ironically). If you don't have internet you can't use the Xbox one.

That part of the customer base is already alienated/shut out.
The day one update was always a part of the plan and was so simply because of the difference in manufacturing scheduling needs and software development scheduling needs.

It's not an issue of space, it's time available.

It's still not about maximizing content, it's about MS/Turn10 complacency. Trying to serve their failure/shortcomings like it was the cherry on the cake won't work here. They can't even get a working game out the door and then add free content to it. If they gave me 20 cars and 20 tracks (optional) for free AFTER LAUNCH, that would be it. This, it's lazy development (Turn 10) and poor management (Microsoft).

acm2000

here come the drama queens!

how is this an issue? you can start playing as it downloads all the content theyve been working on post gold version, and its free

Not sure what to make of this.

On the one hand you can see why they have done this. MS really want this game at launch and by having half the game on disc they can just focus on the other half being ready for download

On the other hand this is a really shitty proposition for anyone without internet or bad internet.

I seriously doubt this will set a precedent for anything in the future with games. It just sounds like they are pressed for time with the launch coming in a few months. Once the launch games are out of the way you shouldn't see anymore of this.

For all of you up in arms over this, I'll bet both my bollocks that a version of the game will be available after that has all the DLC on the disc. Like pretty much every game that has DLC ever. Wait until then and buy it if it matters that much to you.

It's still not about maximizing content, it's about MS/Turn10 complacency. Trying to serve their failure/shortcomings like it was the cherry on the cake won't work here. They can't even get a working game out the door and then add free content to it. If they gave me 20 cars and 20 tracks (optional) for free AFTER LAUNCH, that would be it. This, it's lazy development (Turn 10) and poor management (Microsoft).

I think this is simply a decision to release the game at launch, instead of possibly delaying it (Q1 2014). I don't see the need to read any more into it.

Well this make it even easier to go for the PS4 first, now I'm going to wait at least a year before I'll buy the Xbone. Lets see how MS is going to handle itself during the first year and I'll make my decision after that. Any more of this kind of bullshit and I'm not going to get one in the end.

here come the drama queens!

how is this an issue? you can start playing as it downloads all the content theyve been working on post gold version, and its free

Exactly. Every damn game i have played in the last 5 years has pretty much had a "Day 1 DLC download" - whether in form of an update/patch whatever. It's only because its MS that people on this forum are jumping on it. Its a total non issue.

Gowans

Is it so long till release that people are just looking to be outraged about something now.

It's a shame that its required for those not looking to be online but as MS have drastically changed their plans some forgiveness can be giving to the launch stuff to accommodate time to adapting.

I think this is simply a decision to release the game at launch, instead of possibly delaying it (Q1 2014). I don't see the need to read any more into it.

Well, then XBOX is the console for you and not for me I suppose.

Would you, however, buy a car that would be delivered to your without an air conditioner, which in turn has to be shipped to you seperately from another manufacturer and arrive two days later because they couldn't get supplied with the parts in time at the factory?

I'm really surprised that people accept this kind of service from companies. I'm amazed rather.

Exactly. Every damn game i have played in the last 5 years has pretty much had a "Day 1 DLC download" - whether in form of an update/patch whatever. It's only because its MS that people on this forum are jumping on it. Its a total non issue.

What kind of games are you buying, MMO's? So far all games could be played without a patch if your internet is down, you can't play Forza 5 at all. That's a HUGE difference.

Is it so long till release that people are just looking to be outraged about something now.

It's a shame that its required for those not looking to be online but as MS have drastically changed their plans some forgiveness can be giving to the launch stuff to accommodate time to adapting.

I really doubt this has anything to do with the 180. There were already rumors development in first party studios was way behind schedule.

Knuf

Day 1 (optional) patch that fixes one or more critical bugs present on disk is one thing.
Day 1 (mandatory) dlc that downloads an entire game missing from the disk is another.
Is it really that difficult to understand/see the difference there?

What kind of games are you buying, MMO's? So far all games could be played without a patch if your internet is down, you can't play Forza 5 at all. That's a HUGE difference.

I never said it couldnt be played, i said every game i have played has had a day 1 DLC download/patch/update - there are some updates i have downloaded where the game was very much unplayable before i received the update (Command & Conquer 3 for example)

Every other game i have purchased whether on xbox or PC has always come up with something i need to download and i have no problem with this. If you dont have an internet connection then you arent going to be playing the very best version of the game anyway. Regular updates/patches are installed for pretty much all games, therefore you need an internet connection to get the best out of it. Once its downloaded you dont have to play online if you dont want too. Its not a big deal - im sure the console is also going to have an update when you set it up - like how even phones/tvs etc have firmware updates nowadays.

Sure they will work without it, but they update products like this for a reason.

Day 1 (optional) patch that fixes one or more critical bugs present on disk is one thing.
Day 1 (mandatory) dlc that downloads an entire game missing from the disk is another.

So the entire game needs to be downloaded now? what is on the disc then?

Would you, however, buy a car that would be delivered to your without an air conditioner, which in turn has to be shipped to you seperately from another manufacturer and arrive two days later because they couldn't get supplied with the parts in time at the factory?

That analogy is terrible.

The issue people have here is that the game won't function with a patch, not that it needs a patch.

There have been numerous games that have shipped without the 'entire content', only to end up as (paid for) day one DLC.

If this bothers people so much, don't buy the console.

Why argue the reasoning any further?

undu

Don't worry guys, this won't affect negatively anybody!
Xbox one will only release in countries where everybody can access high-bandwith high-quality Internet connections.

Microsoft and Turn 10 know what they're doing, there's nothing to worry about.

The Least they can do is to have a digital release at launch and have another disc-based launch when the game is done.
I guess they won't do it because they don't give a shit about consumers.

You can play while downloading, what is the horrendous issue here?

That analogy is terrible.

The issue people have here is that the game won't function with a patch, not that it needs a patch.

There have been numerous games that have shipped without the 'entire content', only to end up as (paid for) day one DLC.

If this bothers people so much, don't buy the console.

Why argue the reasoning any further?

I was fair enough to concede even the possibility that the game could be played with what's on the disc in my analogy, so I even gave you that case. I fail to see why it is 'terrible' aside from being inconvenient to argue against from your perspective, but I won't push the point.

As I said, I won't buy the console. It's obviously made for you, not me.

I never said it couldnt be played, i said every game i have played has had a day 1 DLC download/patch/update - there are some updates i have downloaded where the game was very much unplayable before i received the update (Command & Conquer 3 for example)

Every other game i have purchased whether on xbox or PC has always come up with something i need to download and i have no problem with this. If you dont have an internet connection then you arent going to be playing the very best version of the game anyway. Regular updates/patches are installed for pretty much all games, therefore you need an internet connection to get the best out of it. Once its downloaded you dont have to play online if you dont want too. Its not a big deal - im sure the console is also going to have an update when you set it up - like how even phones/tvs etc have firmware updates nowadays.

Sure they will work without it, but they update products like this for a reason.

You are correct that patches etc. is a good thing most of the time, but to HAVE to download part of the game before it even works, just rubs me the wrong way, I expect to get the full product on the disc.

Apart from the obvious online installer/checker and maybe some very basic content (1 track, few cars, ... ?), that's a very good question!

An unfinished not working game and assets.

It says here "And so what you get on the disc you buy at the store won’t be the entire game. You’ll need to download the rest of it from Xbox Live (which should be possible to occur as you play, Greenawalt clarified).

It says it wont be the entire game. I dont think this means its a broken game which wont work.

So maybe you get the first half of the game and the rest is being downloaded as you play? that's how im understanding it. I still think people are looking for a problem that isnt there.

Top Bottom