• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 Announced for Xbox One

Flappy

Banned
I hate the way you present your opinion. Its very condescending, and to all the artist who do work on modern automobiles, it's disrespectful. The same love and care that went into auto design is still very much present, now. Yes, of course they would use aids and tools that didn't exist back in the day to design their cars. They use those same advantages with every part of automotive creation. And your rose-tinted view of "older cars being better!" is nothing new. And every several decades someone proclaims their cars to be the better looking one. See, 30s, 40's, 50's, 60's, and so on.

The Miura is beautiful. And also like "modern" cars designed by engineers. Gian Paolo Dallara, Paolo Stanzani, and Bob Wallace. Don't know where you are getting your information from.

Noting wrong with having your own opinion though. No matter how uninformed and obnoxious it comes off.

You call me "condescending", "uninformed", and "obnoxious". Yet I have never once said that my opinion is better than anyone else, or even insulted anyone for thinking otherwise.

If any post in this thread is "Obnoxious", it's the one you just wrote :/

ShamePain

Banned
Unless they have completely overhauled the lighting engine dynamic weather and day/night transitions are out of the question because of the way they bake all the lighting in. The best you can hope for is Gran Turismo 3 style night tracks and wet tracks and even then I'm sceptical because Dan doesn't like driving in the rain because according to him it's 'not fun'....

Forza Horizon 2 uses the same engine and had dynamic ToD and Weather, magic isn't it? The tech is already there, but they have to optimize it to work at 60 fps and model external and internal illumination on cars, which I think is the reason FH2 gets 6 cars per DLC pack and Forza 5 got 10.

Jaeger

You call me "condescending", "uninformed", and "obnoxious". Yet I have never once said that my opinion is better than anyone else, or even insulted anyone for thinking otherwise.

When you say stuff like "this ugly shit" to describe a modern Lamborghini (which you forget it took decades of gradual design evolution to get here), it's obnoxious. One's man trash is another man's treasure, etc?

You make it seem like we went from Miura to Aventador.

1981_Lamborghini_Countach_LP400S_%28S2%29_front.jpg

Early_Lamborghini_Diablo_in_red.jpg

Cherry_Red_Murcielago.jpg

Like all other brands, we got here over time. Decades.

Well, old supercars had an elegance to them. They were more romantic. Designed by artists.

Modern cars are designed by engineers on computers.
This isn't true. There are legal, packaging, manufacturing requirements that are laid out by engineers, but there are still artists, and they still do it with pencil sketches, and clay modelling. Even on the most bland commuter boxes. There is plenty of back and forth through computer modelling and aero and stress testing, but the artistry has not gone away. If anything it has improved, as they have to work with stricter guidelines and are still able to create distinctive styles. The romance is just nostalgia talking (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Majanew

Banned
Well, old supercars had an elegance to them. They were more romantic. Designed by artists.

Now, before you flip out, I know that modern designs are more aerodynamic, go much faster, are safer, and appeal to some people.

But I would take this:

used-1971-lamborghini-miura-p400s-9423-5854346-1-640.jpg

Over this ugly shit:

Lamborghini-Aventador-626x382.jpg

I'll take this Lambo body over both of those

0MDsoo3.jpg

lol, I think you and I are the only guys who feel this way..

I like the old sleek designs too, such as the E and D Type Jags, the Aston DB5/6, and of course the gorgeous AC Cobra.

The new cars are quality pieces of engineering, but looks wise, they have definitely lost the styling for function.

ShamePain

Banned
I like the old sleek designs too, such as the E and D Type Jags, the Aston DB5/6, and of course the gorgeous AC Cobra.

The new cars are quality pieces of engineering, but looks wise, they have definitely lost the styling for function.

Well, blame all the people that didn't want to have a 50:50 chance of survival when they drove their cars lol.

TomShoe

Banned

Now, before you flip out, I know that modern designs are more aerodynamic, go much faster, are safer, and appeal to some people.

But I would take this:

Over this ugly shit:

lol, I think you and I are the only guys who feel this way..

You guys know it. Especially Lamborghini... ugh, their cars are so ugly nowadays.

Amen brother

I find your taste in cars and design philosophy lacking. Much like the classic cars of the past, everything is designed with a rounded look that's already homogenized and overused. Just look at the Prius and the Civic. Lambos have sharp edges and a swept back look to say that this car goes fast, and makes sure everyone in the room knows it. Lamborghini > All. Even Ferrari.

:^)

Atedos

When will this shit stop?

Seems we have another hate train building as it reminds me of Destiny but less intense (thus far).

Did anyone make that new thread for FM6 discussion?

Dude, no hate here.
I personally really like Assassin's Creed series and totally neutral to Forza's.

Flappy

Banned
One's man trash is another man's treasure, etc?

I respect that and I respect your opinion. But you could have gotten it across without the insults. Calling someone condescending and then saying that they are uninformed is pretty hypocritical.

Anyway, I have no problem with people liking the more practical designs of modern supercars. I just think they are not as beautiful as older ones :p

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
When you say stuff like "this ugly shit" to describe a modern Lamborghini (which you forget it took decades of gradual design evolution to get here), it's obnoxious. One's man trash is another man's treasure, etc?

You make it seem like we went from Miura to Aventador.

Like all other brands, we got here over time. Decades.

He's allowed to think that a Lamborghini is an ugly piece of shit, regardless of what other people think about it or how much effort went into it's design.

I think he's just pointing out how laughable it is you derided him personally as being condescending and obnoxious after he stated his opinion on an inanimate object. you're not the sole source of truth and beauty.

I find your taste in cars and design philosophy lacking. Much like the classic cars of the past, everything is designed with a rounded look that's already homogenized and overused. Just look at the Prius and the Civic. Lambos have sharp edges and a swept back look to say that this car goes fast, and makes sure everyone in the room knows it. Lamborghini > All. Even Ferrari.

My problem with Lambo design is that it feels like I'm looking at person that's constantly yelling "LOOK! I'M HERE! HEY I'M HERE!". They're not terrible but I think there's no class in its design. My opinion of course.

Still, great cars. And Ferrari > Lambo. In fact Ferrari > all :p

Flappy

Banned
On the subject of old classics. It would be interesting if there was a Forza or GT game that was all about older cars (And tracks). Forza Classic or something.

I know it would be very niche and wouldn't sell nearly as much as a game with the latest supercar on the front. But it would be good fan service :D

Just imagine all the Group B rallying on the classic Pikes Peak.

But I would take this:

Over this ugly shit:

Well, you've compared an undeniable classic to a not great-looking car at an unflattering angle. But what of the Ferrari 458 Italia and the LaFerrari? Or the Mazda Furai? The Maserati Gran Turismo S? The Pagani Zonda and Huayra? The Bugatti Veyron? The Audi R8? The Aston Martin DBS? My personal favourite, the Alpha 8C? Or even more affordable cars. The new Mustang. The BMW M3? The new Jag XF?

In a similar vein, I could show a clip of Thierry Henry and Robert Pirès mucking up a penalty against Man City, and put it against a Peter Crouch highlight reel. It's misleading.

saladine1

On the subject of old classics. It would be interesting if there was a Forza or GT game that was all about older cars (And tracks). Forza Classic or something.

I know it would be very niche and wouldn't sell nearly as much as a game with the latest supercar on the front. But it would be good fan service :D

GT Legends was the closest thing to that.

I don't know, I just love anything old. Perhaps because the drive is so engaging with a more mechanical rather than electrical feel to them...

Loris146

Well, you've compared an undeniable classic to a not great-looking car at an unflattering angle. But what of the Ferrari 458 Italia and the LaFerrari? Or the Mazda Furai? The Maserati Gran Turismo S? The Pagani Zonda and Huayra? The Bugatti Veyron? The Audi R8? The Aston Martin DBS? My personal favourite, the Alpha 8C? Or even more affordable cars. The new Mustang. The BMW M3? The new Jag XF?

In a similar vein, I could show a clip of Thierry Henry and Robert Pirès mucking up a penalty against Man City, and put it against a Peter Crouch highlight reel. It's misleading.

Ferrari Enzo is the best :)

Isn't this what having 'leagues' in Forza is all about? Horizon has the 'Group B Monsters' league, Fords 5 has vintage leagues for Grand Touring Legends, Racing Icons, Classic Sport Compact, American Street Muscle and others.

jem0208

I'm sorry, but Aston Martin >>>> All others.

03-2014-aston-martin-vanquish-fd.jpg

I don't know, I just love anything old. Perhaps because the drive is so engaging with a more mechanical rather than electrical feel to them...

You can still get that feeling with newer cars. Look at the small British sports cars - Ariel, Caterham, Lotus (if you want something a little more 'refined'.

G Rom

If you look at DLC for FM4 and to a lesser extent for FM5 and FH2, you'll see they're doing a lot of the fan service you're talking about.
I mean, average joe probably doesn't care about an Auto Union Typ D, a Maserati Ghibli, a Chaparral 2E, a Mercedes 300SLR or even a Ferrari 500 Mondial...

Edit :
You're all wrong, THIS is the most beautiful Ferrari ! :p
5246.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The game itself is no surprise, but the time of the announcement is. Why now ? Should we expect any relation to the event of January 21st ?

its just to get big press, even from non-gaming press, along side the ford gt reveal. the timing obviously isn't ideal for the team, hence them not actually showing anything just yet.

Flappy

Banned
If you look at DLC for FM4 and to a lesser extent for FM5 and FH2, you'll see they're doing a lot of the fan service you're talking about.
I mean, average joe probably doesn't care about an Auto Union Typ D, a Maserati Ghibli, a Chaparral 2E, a Mercedes 300SLR or even a Ferrari 500 Mondial...

I do appreciate the classics that they put into the Forza games. I remember FM4 having a nice balance.

But I'd still love to see a FM cover with something like a Classic Alfa Spider on it or something :p (I'm just pipe dreaming for fun at ths point, I don't actually expect anything like this to happen)

Jaeger

He's allowed to think that a Lamborghini is an ugly piece of shit, regardless of what other people think about it or how much effort went into it's design.

I think he's just pointing out how laughable it is you derided him personally as being condescending and obnoxious after he stated his opinion on an inanimate object. you're not the sole source of truth and beauty.

Actually, it's his opinion as shown in his post that comes off obnoxious, condensing, and uninformed. I literally made that clear in the first sentence. I'm speaking up for all the engineers and designers who put in 36 hour days, working just as hard or harder than previous generations have to make the cars perform and behave as they do, while remaining relatively safe and adhering to numerous regulations that were non-existent 40-50 years ago. The uninformed part as I explained earlier, comes from the lack of design identity you displayed in that post. As if the 3 cars in-between the Miura and the Aventador didn't exist. If you don't like the wedge shape, and sharp angles and scoops of the Aventador, then you don't like anything post Miura. Because all these traits existed for decades on all Lamborghini's after it.

Well I'm glad there's a new forza, but I always feel like they're coming out all the time. I mean they've already caught up with gran turismo.

Flappy

Banned
Well I'm glad there's a new forza, but I always feel like they're coming out all the time. I mean they've already caught up with gran turismo.

Every other year isn't too bad really (FM and FH are seperate games). It's just enough time to get the most out of a game before you start wanting for the next one.

ShamePain

Banned

It's more to do with PD being understaffed and ps3 being a bitch to develop for. I expect them to go for 3 year dev cycles on ps3, so gt7 in 2016, gt8 in 2019.

Top Bottom