• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 Announced for Xbox One

GoaThief

do people use the head tracking? does anyone here? i'm sure turn10 has usage data, cant imagine its all that high. may want to nix it (if not, they better improve the hell out of it).

I tried it with the old Kinect and Forza 4, it was the first time I'd experienced motion sickness whilst playing a game.

The tracking was only horizontal and more importantly had high latency, the latter probably being the main culprit of the sickness. I was really excited about it too, maybe I should try FM5 with head tracking (if it's in there?) but in all honesty I have yet to unbox Kinect since I purchased the console. Not sure if it will be worth it.

Gestault

I played on and off with the head tracking in Forza 5. It was sort of "eh." If I was already in the zone and I set the sensitivity right, it could give a cool (weird?) feeling on deeper turns, but I've ended up keeping it off. The latency and movement range didn't give the kind of connection I'd want out of it.

Bgamer90

Banned
I liked the head tracking since it added immersion (especially since I use a wheel) but I would be perfectly fine if it's removed in order to use the GPU reserve.

Better looking racer >>>> Head tracking.

jem0208

From the SDK leaks: Yeah, the title must request when not to use Kinect, so if they want they could make sections with Kinect (In theory it could even be a game setting, like play with kinect or play with slightly better graphics/performance)

And it's really turning on and off. Ms doesn't allow for the game to disable Kinect when it's showing menus or loading screens (so the game can still use some of the Kinect benefits like matching the controller with the game profile, or use gestures to navigate).

I'm not sure you're right about being able to turn the Kinect on and off with when opening a menu. I'm like 90% sure Horizon 2 does that...

Klocker

Watching the Ford conference on Xbox today, one thing that stood out was the announcement of forming partnership with Dow Chemical to deliver mass production of carbon fiber for future cars.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Fucking unbelievable. If that quote gets regurgitated in every interview between now and October...

You know it will, it's honestly a good motto for them but the usage needs turned down on it.

Watching the Ford conference on Xbox today, one thing that stood out was the announcement of forming partnership with Dow Chemical to deliver mass production of carbon fiber for future cars.

GT350R is going to be the first mass-produced vehicle with entirely carbon fiber rims. Much like the F-150 with aluminum body panels they have to start somewhere and the more it's used the cheaper it becomes.

Soon enough we're going to have aluminum Mustang GTs(steel sub-frames) with carbon fiber rims and other stuff. Maybe we will really get that 3200 lb Mustang we wanted to see.

I tried it with the old Kinect and Forza 4, it was the first time I'd experienced motion sickness whilst playing a game.

The tracking was only horizontal and more importantly had high latency, the latter probably being the main culprit of the sickness. I was really excited about it too, maybe I should try FM5 with head tracking (if it's in there?) but in all honesty I have yet to unbox Kinect since I purchased the console. Not sure if it will be worth it.

The Kinect makes the entire console better if used properly.

Calibrate it using this guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRqDYaFcvBQ

Here are the proper commands:
tBCWcr0.jpg

Gestault

Gonna be tough waiting until e3 to see this game in action.

That's no joke. Driveclub and eventually Project Cars in the mean-time are great stand-ins, but my curiosity is pretty high. The beginning of a console generation is always an exciting time for big racing titles like this. You don't know one way or the other how much they can pull off.

saladine1

Well, the thing is, the CLIGGICL motto is all well and good...for a couple of games. I mean, I know you want to invite people to all things car passion and shit, but for how long do you want to keep this up?

Isn't it about time to say,

"Ok, so we've established that we wanted people to become enamored with car culture. We've been ramming that concept down people's throats for years. We believe we've accomplished that task.
It's probably a good time now to go beyond that boy with his Lamborghini poster on the wall, and emphasize the second word in our game title a little bit more. Let's introduce the masses to MOTORSPORT culture..."

Mr.Greenawalt, it's nigh time you stopped playing safe. Take a dive into the realm of daring and opportunity. The short, groomed beard would then sprout out into full Brett Keisel territory...and that's exactly what I want to see...

Mascot

Well, the thing is, the CLIGGICL motto is all well and good...for a couple of games. I mean, I know you want to invite people to all things car passion and shit, but for how long do you want to keep this up?

Isn't it about time to say,

"Ok, so we've established that we wanted people to become enamored with car culture. We've been ramming that concept down people's throats for years. We believe we've accomplished that task.
It's probably a good time now to go beyond that boy with his Lamborghini poster on the wall, and emphasize the second word in our game title a little bit more. Let's introduce the masses to MOTORSPORT culture..."

Mr.Greenawalt, it's nigh time you stopped playing safe. Take a dive into the realm of daring and opportunity. The short, groomed beard would then sprout out into full Brett Keisel territory...and that's exactly what I want to see...

Amen, brother.

A (hopefully) new design philosophy needs a new catchphrase, so when I heard Daniel uttering his eons-old mantra my first thought was that nothing will have really changed with FM6.

I'm really hoping pCARS gives Turn 10 pause for thought about the elements missing from Forza that make a mockery of the Motorsport moniker. I'd very gladly trade night and weather for pit strategy and properly structured race events.

Forza has been lucky up until now, very little competition on the Xbox for a more serious racer but I can see pCARS taking away a good chunk of the more dedicated players if the port is decent.

Forza has been lucky up until now, very little competition on the Xbox for a more serious racer but I can see pCARS taking away a good chunk of the more dedicated players if the port is decent.

That's a big if. I have every confidence that the PC version of pCars will be great, but the console versions remain to be seen (the console version of NFS Shift 1 was very good, but Shift 2 was much, much better on PC). And it will be hard anyway to match the community functionality of Forza (although Forza 5 was lacking in this respect as well, with the absence of storefronts and overall leaderboards).

I'm guessing with the image of the car in a dark setting with it's headlights on we are finally getting some nightime action*

Photo mode only :p

Where did the rumour concerning PG and the F1 licence come from?

Never considered it before but could honestly see that working, if it were a console exclusive built with the Forza engine I'd be happy for FM to plod on for now.

ShamePain

Banned
Where did the rumour concerning PG and the F1 licence come from?

Never considered it before but could honestly see that working, if it were a console exclusive built with the Forza engine I'd be happy for FM to plod on for now.

Nah, can't see it happening, first F1 license is very expensive, they have very strict restrictions on what you can and what you cannot have in the games, they demand you release games yearly. So yeah, seeing how F1 has put Codemasters on the brink of closure and has sucked all talent and passion out of them, I'd suggest all devs stay away from it, let Bernie suck himself. Codies should've stayed away from it and let Activision get it like they wanted, this way we would still be getting quality titles from CM and Bizarre Creations would still be in business.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I seriously hope not. The swerve/handbrake turn at 1:20 looks hilariously awful.

The original Forza had much better physics.
Dude, it's a scripted cheesy promo. Even if it is Forza 6 it's not gonna be an indication of in-game physics lol.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Is it me or is does this look like Forza? Its that Ford event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi-pdajAaeA

I seriously hope not. The swerve/handbrake turn at 1:20 looks hilariously awful.

The original Forza had much better physics.

the only thing that looked forza to me was the overhead shot and how the road was textured. definitely cg. and as mascot pointed out, pretty terribly animated cg.

and i hope people dont take things like this as evidence of day to night transitions. i doubt ford's unveiling of their supercar is taking into account features of the next forza game as a tease. this goes with all ford gt promo material, including the possible fm6 cover shot.

op_ivy

No the two Forza games on XO look better than that.

aisde from how the car moves/animates, no. the lighting, trackside detail, and driver detail look considerable better in that teaser. i'd be thrilled in fm6 looked like that.

op_ivy

opinions and all, but i'd argue you picked a very flattering fh2 shot (a game at 30 fps rather then motorsports 60 fps and which is also conveniently half hidden in darkness) and compared it to a less flattering show from the cg trailer. the lighting is far superior in the cg trailer and the environment looks better realized, neither of which is really demonstrated in the screen you chose (though you can see hints of the detailed background, fully modeled trees, and good lighting/reflections).

it doesnt match matter though, its clearly not fm6, so who cares?

CSX

So assuming Top Gear is back somehow i can see something crazy like

"Preorder to get exclusive video of Jeremy Clarkson's review of the new Ford GT" lol

Gestault

From my experience, I think it's unlikely that people following the genre are only interested in having one series to play at the expense of well-made alternatives.

The_Monk

Does anyone believe there will be a tiny Rally portion in FORZA 6?

I bought that DLC day one when it arrived to the Forza Horizon (back when I had a 360). I also bought the Porsche day one on FORZA 4 so it would be nice to drive some oldies, that's for sure. :)

Man, I've always loved how beautiful these games looked and played. The Demo for FH2 had me in chills. Though, I could never get into any racing game. It's like a curse I have or something, I love it but don't want to play it? I'm so weird.

Same here. Got the game, love the idea of it, can't get into it.

Edit: Last racing game I really got into was PGR3, I think... bought loads since then. I think I just struggle to translate joypad to car movement, and struggle judging speed. Hell, I even had that mega expensive force feedback steering wheel for a while on the 360. And yet when I race in karts against my friends I usually win, so I've got the "real life skills", they just don't translate to in game judgement!

op_ivy

Since FM4 and FM5 used Kinect, will FM6 use it making T10 not get that 10% boost for the game?

if they do i hope they spend more time with it and its a bit more robust. i'd like tracking in more then just the x-axis.

Top Bottom