• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox News contributor gets death threats due to Star Wars remarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishida

Banned
I'd pay good money to see Star Wars on opening weekend at a theatre with a "No Manchildren" rule.

111661750-e1332431224530.jpg

daycru

I think there needs to be some changes made so death threats are taken seriously. That's the only thing I really have a point on. I think we should respect one another when we discuss the likes and dislikes. Popularity isn't something free for everyone either.

Brother, I'm still waiting on your list of suicides stemming from comments "much less hurtful" than a pretty woman on television degrading a film franchise.

Not paying any mind to the comments but:

Katherine Timpf received the ire of some "Star Wars" fans after saying on Fox News' satirical "Red Eye" that, referring to a tweet the day before, "I wasn't familiar with Star Wars because I've been too busy liking cool things and being attractive."

Why the hell is this still something people have to say? So Star Wars isn't cool because why? Attractive people can't like it because why? Being attractive is something liking a single movie can take away from you? I hate the 'girls don't like Star Wars/think it's nerdy because they're too pretty and cool' stereotype and this doesn't help that.

jstripes

Banned
I am dreading the 17th more and more. I've got a few friends who are really into Star Wars and the closer we get to that day the more obnoxious they get.

I made the mistake of seeing Attack of the Clones on opening weekend, and there were probably two dozen grown men with cloaks and lightsabers running around the aisles doing mock battles.

With geek culture in overdrive these days, it's going to be orders of magnitude worse.

ItIsOkBro

Why the hell is this still something people have to say? So Star Wars isn't cool because why? Attractive people can't like it because why? Being attractive is something liking a single movie can take away from you? I hate the 'girls don't like Star Wars/think it's nerdy because they're too pretty and cool' stereotype and this doesn't help that.

Show me one attractive Star Wars fan.

Lol dude, relax. She was being facetious. She actually does like Star Wars. Someone posted this earlier.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Bait. Hook, line and sinker.

A shame some still took that bait and ran with it.

And no, i don't subscribe to the "Youtube comments are terrible by defualt" line of thinking as a pass. As we've all seen, anywhere can have terrible comments (including GAF). The main difference is that Youtube is one of the biggest online platforms in the world.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Brother, I'm still waiting on your list of suicides stemming from comments "much less hurtful" than a pretty woman on television degrading a film franchise.

I just wonder about what it has become. Internet insults came around long before we had a huge issue with it. We didn't have that technology to voice opinions to other people. Is it building upon depression for others? Nerd or geek culture has had some problems with suicide in the past. and the culture has become more acceptable. Not everyone is in their parent's basement nor are they reclusive human beings either.

I'm just worried that we are possibly raising kids to love the Avengers and video games and then they aren't necessarily hearing what the kid who didn't feel. That whole cycle could possibly build upon something else.

Could this be creating or forming another type of depression? Depression or hurt from a public source. Aren't we living in the day and age of social media and news journalists voicing their opinions every single day? TV has become a soap box for how certain people feel.

someday

Banned
Should have made an apology video and dropped TFA spoilers at random intervals.
I love this.

Taking this way too seriously. Everyone I know likes Star Wars, straight, gay, bi, male, female, black, white, hot, not hot, errbody. It's Star Wars. Because of this fact, her comment is 100% a joke and some really pathetic people got bent out of shape. There is no bigger commentary here to be found in her comments.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I've heard Conan and Kimmel make basically the same joke many times in the past. Interesting that it's suddenly worthy of all this ire now...things that make me say "hmmm"

Taking this way too seriously. Everyone I know likes Star Wars, straight, gay, bi, male, female, black, white, hot, not hot, errbody. It's Star Wars. Because of this fact, her comment is 100% a joke and some really pathetic people got bent out of shape. There is no bigger commentary here to be found in her comments.
Again, I'm fine. I guess my post came off stronger than I meant it to. Even as a joke, why say it at all? It's not new or funny but whatever, I didn't word things right, that's on me.

Classy thread. Death threats are OK because fox news is evil plus comments on how she looks. Can't handle all that progressiveness.

That's the minority, everything else has been about how terrible/insecure these "fans" have been.

The stuff about how she looks however...yeah. That's not great.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'm reminded of Triumph's hilarious "which one of these buttons calls your mom to come pick you up?" bit a decade ago, and I'm wondering how many rape threats Robert Smigel got. Or sanctimonious Neogaf posts about how sacred star wars culture is. How many suicides was Triumph's comment responsible for?

Obviously any physical threat is over-the-top but lmao at her comment about "liking cool things and being attractive." Who talks like that? Someone sounds insecure.

kewlmyc

Shouldn't people who like Star Wars, comics, anime, and video games be used to being called "nerds" by the media. It's been happening for decades, not sure why people are doing sending death threats over it. It's a casual joke and if they do mean it as an insult, it's not like being a nerd is considered a bad thing anymore by the general public.

jediyoshi

The One and Done™;186899603 said:
I love how the conversation is now about how she looks...

Real damn mature

Her impetus wasn't a critical eye on the Star Wars culture, it was bullying.

Fury451

Banned
Obviously any physical threat is over-the-top but lmao at her comment about "liking cool things and being attractive." Who talks like that? Someone sounds insecure.

Red Eye is a satire program.

Other comedians have made those kinds of jokes without this kind of reaction. Make of that what you will.

Her impetus wasn't a critical eye on the Star Wars culture, it was bullying.

No, it was comedy.

You pretty much have to want it to be bullying in order to read it as such. And you could only really want it to be that so that you can justify being a shitheel in response without guilt or second thoughts.

Both sides are losers in this situation.

Not really, no. Mostly the Star Wars fans who either went after her, or are trying to justify going after her.

I'm reminded of Triumph's hilarious "which one of these buttons calls your mom to come pick you up?" bit a decade ago, and I'm wondering how many rape threats Robert Smigel got. Or sanctimonious Neogaf posts about how sacred star wars culture is. How many suicides was Triumph's comment responsible for?

YUUUUUUP.

Barrage

If she was a man the response would have been nothing. This is some gross-ass, deep in the belly ugliness from people who's priorities have been warped from placing too much importance on fictional universes as part of their identities.

danm999

Sure threaten to rape and kill someone over humour you idiot YouTube commenters; I'm sure that will bring about the vaulted cultural status you so desire.

Metalmarc

People dont deserve death threats. Theres enough bad shit happening in the world right now, regardless whether these people were only trolling her or not, she did not deserve this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom