• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FYI: Demon's Souls free on US PS+ starting tomorrow

If I could be bothered to play through this again (just did another play recently) I'd go Blue Phantom for folks and smash some ganker face in with my trusty DBS or Meat Cleaver.

Dark Souls is the better of the two IMO but still an excellent, must play game.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I have always said it and I'll say it again. Demon souls is the best game ever made right behind the original god of war.

Shady859

AND Soldner X!

Bazinga looks like I'm in for my first paid PS+ and i'm glad I lost my bid earlier on Ebay for a used copy of Demon Souls. Y'all rave about the series so much I finally decided to get a cheap copy.

Edit: oops discounts on Soldner X games. The US needs more exposure to SHMUPS wish they'd make it free.... I already have them but the more people who play the better as this genre is sadly dieing.

If I could be bothered to play through this again (just did another play recently) I'd go Blue Phantom for folks and smash some ganker face in with my trusty DBS or Meat Cleaver.

Dark Souls is the better of the two IMO but still an excellent, must play game.

Demon's is the bridge between King's Field and Dark Souls. Or Shadow Tower, but it has a King's Field feel right in the beginning.

I'm going to go on tomorrow night and try to do as much good as possible with my redhead.

Tenrius

I have always said it and I'll say it again. Demon souls is the best game ever made right behind the original god of war.

I can understand praising Demon's Souls, but what's so special about GoW? It sure is a nice ride, but I doubt it would make my top 30.

Syntsui

Wow, I bought it the day it was released on PSN, I feel stupid now. It amazes me how many people think it is better than Dark Souls. Dark Souls is FAR superior in every aspect except, maybe, online.

Mxrz

Pro-Tip: For fuck sakes don't stay in body form!

I'd argue they should. You're only denying yourself the full experience. Knowing another player can invade, and then hunt you down through the level adds a certain thrill that you just can't get from static AI.

Plus I really miss having people to invade in 2-2.

fallagin

Already purchased this, but its a really cool new addition to ps+. Hopefully there is a demon souls 2, we need MORE of these kinds of games!

Tenrius

I'd argue they should. You're only denying yourself the full experience. Knowing another player can invade, and then hunt you down through the level adds a certain thrill that you just can't get from static AI.

Plus I really miss having people to invade in 2-2.

There were plenty at SL 10-30 just a month ago.

Shady859

So as a total Demon Souls noob...

Does the online still work? I thought I read in the "recommended games" thread today that servers were down..

So as a total Demon Souls noob...

Does the online still work? I thought I read in the "recommended games" thread today that servers were down..

They will remain up. It's more stable than Dark Souls, but far fewer players at this point. Even Dark Souls is starting to get kind of quiet.

popyea

the thing about DS' is that's its focus isn't like DarkS... It doesn't try to kill the player for the sake of it, Demons's Souls has all of this difficult based on knowledge and not execution.

So you don't think Dark Souls is the same in that regard? Because I've always believed that it does. I think both do.

What's an example of being killed for the sake of it, where knowledge won't help you?

Wow, I bought it the day it was released on PSN, I feel stupid now. It amazes me how many people think it is better than Dark Souls. Dark Souls is FAR superior in every aspect except, maybe, online.
One thing I liked about Demon's Souls was the more defined "sections" or "stages". Each area had a -1, -2, -3 (Boletaria Palace had a -4). Not the say that the connected-ness of Dark Souls isn't impressive, just the opposite, but I liked the feeling of completing a "world". It's just different. Demon's Souls is set up like a 2D Mario/Megaman crossover while Dark Souls seems more like a Metroid title in layout.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Dude, this made me laugh so bad for some reason. Hahahaha, I can just picture it all...

Would be hilarious if some scrubs killed you.
KuGsj.gif

lol you're a horrible person

ponpo is in a nasty surprise tomorrow, when a scrub pwns him.

:lol I had the exact same thought but my gear is on my dead PS3 so that isn't possible.

Tip for new players: PLAY IN SOUL FORM UNLESS YOU NEED HELP to prevent Ponpo from ganking you.

I actually hate invading people, I was just kidding. Even to this day I only invade people in Demon's or Dark Souls to have more duel-esque PvP. I get way too nervous and jittery if I'm trying to do a proper invasion. Blue Soul Sign forever!

PS if you see a Scraping Spear just suicide.

Woah, does that self duping still work?

Those self duping directions are kind of weird / not completely correct but it still works. Too bad you'll need 10 hours alone to find a Pure Bladestone ( ≖‿≖)

Syntsui

One thing I liked about Demon's Souls was the more defined "sections" or "stages". Each area had a -1, -2, -3 (Boletaria Palace had a -4). Not the say that the connected-ness of Dark Souls isn't impressive, just the opposite, but I liked the feeling of completing a "world". It's just different. Demon's Souls is set up like a 2D Mario/Megaman crossover while Dark Souls seems more like a Metroid title in layout.

I think it contributed to the atmosphere. The way every path connected one to another was amazing and impressed me a lot. The stages on Demon Souls broke the immersion IMO(except Latria, that entire world was fucking tense).

Izuna

Banned
So you don't think Dark Souls is the same in that regard? Because I've always believed that it does. I think both do.

What's an example of being killed for the sake of it, where knowledge won't help you?

Dark Souls has a clear focus change to me, I don't get why I'm the only one that sees it.

Two examples are the OHKO chests and the balcony in Anor Lando. I didn't stop play at those points but it was when I realised the whole "Prepare to Die" thing became the personality.

There is no hint that the chest can eat you. In Demons's Souls everything that was difficult such as the Old Hero had hints that made you go "ooooh" when you figured them out
(such as him being blindfolded"

Then there are the two things I hated that I had come across that ultimately made me give up with the game. First being the secret forest that lead s to the dragon covenant with the Hydra that will definitely kill you, being optional and I found whilst being lost etc..

And finally, I don't clearly remember, but there was this dragon boss that for some reason, no matter what, I couldn't beat. I couldn't even do decent damage. I got fed up with the game and went online only to find that it was practically immune to the type of attack that I had only including Pyromancy.

About Anor Lando too, I had died in the single digits up until that point, with all enemies being fairly easy to me, only to find that because of how I built my character I couldn't carry the big shield or powerful bow needed to get past the balcony. I only managed to get past by reloading my save whilst falling and that put me at the exit.

This kinda thing is unheard off in Demons's Souls, and I know why it happens in Dark Souls. It's also wy the penalty for dying is less too... It's because it was designed to kill the player.

Angelcurio

Gold Member
Now that's a really nice addition for PS Plus subscribers. I already have the game, but it's an excellent addition none the less. Now I'm going to gift my copy to a friend so he finally tries it, since he was somewhat undecided about getting a PS3 until he got to play Dark Souls on PC and was extremely surprised by it.

The only question i have is if the save file from the disc version will be compatible with the digital version.

tanuki

True Demon's Souls Starts Here.

I never did get past the Old Monk... And was too stubborn to do the fight offline. I really should revisit the game.

feeble peanut

Neo Member
Tower of Latria was probably one of my favorite levels of any game this gen.

Ding ding dudes. Moaning and screaming. Hearing nothing but a giant heart beating in the distance. Maneaters. Old monk pvp.

Maybe it's finally time to get PS+ just to go through this game again...

Demons Souls has a much more relentlessly dark and gothic atmosphere than Dark Souls. Latria is absolutely mental. By far the most hellish place in either game.

Izuna

Banned
Tower of Latria was probably one of my favorite levels of any game this gen.

Ding ding dudes. Moaning and screaming. Hearing nothing but a giant heart beating in the distance. Maneaters. Old monk pvp.

Maybe it's finally time to get PS+ just to go through this game again...

Hahahahaha!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The fact that there are PS3 owners out there who haven't played Demon's Souls yet depresses me.

Hey wouldn't it be cool if Sony was making this push at the IP because their Destiny of Souls game is derivative of Demon's Souls?

The fact that there are PS3 owners out there who haven't played Demon's Souls yet depresses me.

Shouldn't you be happy now that more worlds might be mended now that it's free?
Let's invade and kill them all.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
How many people tomorrow afternoon who am I kidding this is Grace Chen Time we are talking about, late night get Demon's Soul booted up and the first message they read is Sticky White Stuff

Fucking confusion abound

I'm waiting for the person who gets pissed and deletes DS due to Vanguard owning their ass at the start

LOL!

Hypron

Dark Souls has a clear focus change to me, I don't get why I'm the only one that sees it.

Two examples are the OHKO chests and the balcony in Anor Lando. I didn't stop play at those points but it was when I realised the whole "Prepare to Die" thing became the personality.

There is no hint that the chest can eat you. In Demons's Souls everything that was difficult such as the Old Hero had hints that made you go "ooooh" when you figured them out
(such as him being blindfolded"

That's not true, the normal chests don't look the same (
look at the chain
) as the ones that can eat you.

And finally, I don't clearly remember, but there was this dragon boss that for some reason, no matter what, I couldn't beat. I couldn't even do decent damage. I got fed up with the game and went online only to find that it was practically immune to the type of attack that I had only including Pyromancy.

The dragon is not really a boss... He's more of an environmental hazard. I didn't even know you could kill him until I read about it online.

About Anor Lando too, I had died in the single digits up until that point, with all enemies being fairly easy to me, only to find that because of how I built my character I couldn't carry the big shield or powerful bow needed to get past the balcony. I only managed to get past by reloading my save whilst falling and that put me at the exit.
You don't need to have a heavy shield to get past the balcony. Actually a small shield is better since you can parry the silver knights with it.

Mileena

Banned
Bow to Sony gods! I hope this ups the online activity a lot :)

You don't need to have a heavy shield to get past the balcony. Actually a small shield is better since you can parry the silver knights with it.

Or you can be a man, run up and kill him then jump down. Buff your weapon people!

neoemonk

I have five PS3 games and this happens to be one of them.

I'm not mad though, because anything that gets more people to play Demon's Souls is great in my book. Hands down my favorite console game of this generation.

The Lamp

See the fact Sony does stuff like give games like this is why PS+ shits on XBL Gold from a great height. This game is fantastic and I'm glad every subscriber now has a chance to play it. I still need to finish it.

So the world might be mended!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Audίoboxer;52324218 said:
Demons Souls > Dark Souls.

I really want Demons Souls 2.
Dear Diary, today I made a new friend...

But seriously, I expect one huge LTTP thread after this. Umbasa.

Mileena

Banned
See the fact Sony does stuff like give games like this is why PS+ shits on XBL Gold from a great height. This game is fantastic and I'm glad every subscriber now has a chance to play it. I still need to finish it.

So the world might be mended!

XBL gold could offer 10 free* games and it wouldn't come close to the value of free* Demon's Souls

totowhoa

Banned
So quick question... I borrowed this game from a friend 2 years ago and played it a bit. Enjoyed it but didn't get too far since it was competing with other games. I played the knight and liked him OK. Is there any class that is more recommended for first timers above others?

Top Bottom