• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FYI: Demon's Souls free on US PS+ starting tomorrow

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So quick question... I borrowed this game from a friend 2 years ago and played it a bit. Enjoyed it but didn't get too far since it was competing with other games. I played the knight and liked him OK. Is there any class that is more recommended for first timers above others?
Royal is the noob class.

Umbassa!

I still will resist getting plus though. Already own the game. And don't like how with plus I ferl like I am renting games for as long as I keep paying

Izuna

Banned
That's not true, the normal chests don't look the same (
look at the chain
) as the ones that can eat you.

The dragon is not really a boss... He's more of an environmental hazard. I didn't even know you could kill him until I read about it online.

You don't need to have a heavy shield to get past the balcony. Actually a small shield is better since you can parry the silver knights with it.

1. My point being I don't feel like it was my mistake getting eaten by the chest, it's more of a "lets not do that again". If anything, the purpose of the chest was to really promote the use of bloodstains. Having it OHKO is lame.

2. No this one was definitely a boss. It didn't fly, and was after I had to look for the triforce pieces or whatever. Its not that I hate the boss itself, or that it wasn't for me to beat it without a retry, but more that I really couldn't have known prior. There was no introduction to the creature or any sign it was practically immune to fire.

3. Iirc, blocking one arrow made me fall to death. I had to dodge to pass through each one only for the skeleton itself to either OHKO me or I got shot in the back. Not saying it was impossible, but it was more of a "this is hard as hell, isn't it?" moment rather than a puzzle.

Either way I understand the majority were attracted to the whole rogue-like brutality and the fact that you'll die a bunch, but I really didn't feel that difficulty was the focus in the first game. Dark Souls isn't worse, but it is different.

Kallor

I'm firmly in the Demon's is better than Dark camp. These are two of the very best this gen has to offer, though.

You know what, I thought Dark Souls was better for a while but after replaying both and having to deal with some of the sloppy areas in Dark Souls, I jumped over to the Demon>Dark camp myself. Amazing games, will be playing both for years and years to come. Hopefully we get PS3 Emulation eventually (yeah, eventually) so I can play Demons Souls on PC.

Lucent

Umbassa!

I still will resist getting plus though. Already own the game. And don't like how with plus I ferl like I am renting games for as long as I keep paying

But considering how normally renting one game for a week can cost between $6-8 (current gen at least), and you have no late fees and don't have to worry about returning them, I think $50 is amazing for this. But I also use it for the discounts and stuff, too. So it really depends on how you feel about that stuff. I personally don't want to own every game unless it's really good and I must own it to replay whenever I want.

Tevious

I keep getting my ass handed to me by Old Monk, aka some douchebag who firestorms me the moment I cross the fog. Can I summon help for that fight?

Go AFK and take a 20-30 minute break before entering the room. They'll get bored and if they don't leave, they will at least let their guard down for you to come in and attack.

Sony's back in "Can't do no wrong" mode again!

Rainbow Moon huh? I'll check it out. Music's fantastic from what I've heard.

I'd argue they should. You're only denying yourself the full experience. Knowing another player can invade, and then hunt you down through the level adds a certain thrill that you just can't get from static AI.

Plus I really miss having people to invade in 2-2.

Oh that place is so nice for that kind of cat and mouse, especially with the bugbears, one-way tunnel intersections, and PLENTIFUL dramatic cliffs.

Drago

Sweet, been wanting to play this. Are they not revealing the whole month lineup anymore for PS+?
Here you are:

8601456744_87f26b453b_z.jpg

NeoZylom

If only it was Dark Souls ... Come on, Demon's Souls is like 4 years old. You can get it for like 5$ in the wild out there. While we get this archaic game, PS+ Europe got Mass Effect 3 and Sleeping Dogs. /pissed :p

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Sure, I'll give it a shot. Never played Dark Souls either for that matter.

Damn that's insane for those who for some horrible reason waited on it.

Why buy it when I can wait 4 years and get it for free from Sony?! Can't wait to play Knack in 2017.

Great news as there will be fellow gaffers starting their first runs while I've just started mine...but Fuck I just bought this a week ago -___-

todahawk

You paid for awesome, it's okay.

As someone that paid $60 for it 4 years ago, I'm completely okay with this. Maybe the population will swell and people will see the better game of the two Souls games.
Yes, I'm the vocal minority that thinks Demon's is better polished than Dark even though Dark does a few things better.

lol, I paid for the import and then again for the NA launch... CE the second time around. Was just about to rebuy so this is perfect timing!

I guess I'll try playing it again for the third time. Lost interest twice so far, but if it's going to just be sitting there on my hard drive I'll give it another go.

For once the US gets the better deal on PS+. You guys get Demon's Souls and in Europe we get Okami and Virtues Last Reward... ughh.

This game alone would justify the purchase of a PS3. Now you can get it for free!

Edit:
@TheSeks
I am in complete agreement. Demon's Souls is WAY BETTER than Dark Souls. How I wish Sony had not been so STUPID, we could be playing Demon's Souls 2 right now. Instead, SCAMCO got involved :-(

As stupid as the decision seems now, imagine how an early build of Demon's Souls looked to the guys at Sony when Miyazaki probably first pitched it. Could you imagine how absurd a beta version of Demon's Souls would have looked? Non-existent story, nothing is explained, everything kills you, no music, it takes forever to make any progress, not a single stat or symbol has a description in the menu, etc. I imagine some guys at Sony struggling through the tutorial, spending 10-20 minutes trying to get past the second blue-eyed knight (the one that purposely turtles to teach you how to break guards) and then walking into the room with the Vanguard and immediately getting sent into the wall. I probably would have turned it off right then and there and walked out of the room.

I can't really blame them for passing on it. And this is coming from someone whose spent 400+ hours with the game.

Demons souls is a far superior experience to Dark souls.

Demons souls is a pure experience. They convoluted the formula way too much in dark souls.

I agree with the notion that dark souls relies more heavily on trial and error like demons souls and I vastly preferred the characters and atmosphere in demons soul.

Most people who I pvped in demons souls agreed it was better than dark souls. The poise was a clever idea from FROM but it does not quite work. Getting stunlocked can be insta death in many cases and there are numerous exploits in the poise system such as Falchion or high poise backstabbing. PVP in dark souls usually ends really quickly due every person being able to dish out 300-400 damage. Your dead in 4 hits in the most cases and lets forget the back stab fishing signified by lag in the servers . PVP in demons soul was faster paced too. Furthermore lets not forget the shit boss weapons in dark souls. I feel like thats one the main reasons why people in dark souls 9 times out of 10 stick with dex and str builds (more recently faith due to dark sorceries). In my experience of PVP in demons souls the builds were far more varied, we had people with vit builds with the NR, luck builds with the blueblood sword, scraping spear builds that relied on breaking the oppositions armour and weapon, hyper mode builds and a lot more spear builds.

I can only pray that Sony and Miyazaki make a demons souls 2.

I guess theres going to be a lot more people in 1-1 and 1-2 now. Time to get a lvl 10 build ready and scrape some noobs.

Grief.exe

As stupid as the decision seems now, imagine how an early build of Demon's Souls looked to the guys at Sony when Miyazaki probably first pitched it. Could you imagine how absurd a beta version of Demon's Souls would have looked? Non-existent story, nothing is explained, everything kills you, no music, it takes forever to make any progress, not a single stat or symbol has a description in the menu, etc. I imagine some guys at Sony struggling through the tutorial, spending 10-20 minutes trying to get past the second blue-eyed knight (the one that purposely turtles to teach you how to break guards) and then walking into the room with the Vanguard and immediately getting sent into the wall. I probably would have turned it off right then and there and walked out of the room.

I can't really blame them for passing on it. And this is coming from someone whose spent 400+ hours with the game.

Sony probably knew the product they were going to get.

I'm sure From didn't pitch a casual action-game aimed at the lowest common denominator.

And they ended up with a deep, punishing, action-RPG, with a deep story that is hard to uncover.

Hypron

1. My point being I don't feel like it was my mistake getting eaten by the chest, it's more of a "lets not do that again". If anything, the purpose of the chest was to really promote the use of bloodstains. Having it OHKO is lame.

2. No this one was definitely a boss. It didn't fly, and was after I had to look for the triforce pieces or whatever. Its not that I hate the boss itself, or that it wasn't for me to beat it without a retry, but more that I really couldn't have known prior. There was no introduction to the creature or any sign it was practically immune to fire.

3. Iirc, blocking one arrow made me fall to death. I had to dodge to pass through each one only for the skeleton itself to either OHKO me or I got shot in the back. Not saying it was impossible, but it was more of a "this is hard as hell, isn't it?" moment rather than a puzzle.

Either way I understand the majority were attracted to the whole rogue-like brutality and the fact that you'll die a bunch, but I really didn't feel that difficulty was the focus in the first game. Dark Souls isn't worse, but it is different.

1. Chests are not a guaranteed 1HKO, they do a lot of damage, sure, but if you have enough health/hammer the triggers hard enough they'll let you go. I'm not exactly sure why it's such a problem anyway, you get eaten once and then you are aware that chests exist and you don't get eaten anymore.

2. Seath the scaleless? He is only resistant to magic attacks, he's weak to lightning, fire and bleeding and other weapons do normal damage... The only way to not have any tool to beat him is to play a pure mage with absolutely no other weapon. And every other enemy in this area is resistant to magic attacks, so it's not like there weren't any hints as to what he was going to be resistant to.

3. You were facing the wrong way if blocking arrows killed you. The physics behind blocking is a bit fucked up in this game (you'll get knocked away from where you were facing, not from where you got hit).

I'm stoked. I never wanted to pay for this game since I could see it being something that I would absolutely hate. Now I have a chance to play it.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Hot damn. I already own Demon's Souls and have a PS+ account and I'm still excited! I don't even know why!

Top Bottom