• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread The Third: #TeamBrad

Status
Not open for further replies.

1emons

Neo Member
Just because Klepek responds to you and disagrees doesn't mean you made a mistake or were acting like a dick.

Someone else responded to that post in a similar manner so I thought I should clear it up.

No sweat. Honestly, it was just an easy straw man for people to try and tear down the article and rattle me. You want to tear it down, find a better angle. I've heard better/worse. In hindsight, I should have found something else.

I actually enjoyed your article and I wasn't trying to tear it down but I can understand how it could be construed that way with all of the shit it's getting.

I definitely don't agree with everything you say but your articles are some of my favorite features on the site so try not to let all of the crazy people get to you too much.

No_Style

Patrick's articles have been hit and miss for me. I have no problem with the topic or the intent stuff like this just comes off like The Piers Morgan show.

Collecting reactions from people on a hot topic is just like giving guests airtime on the show. If they were different opinions from each: really interesting. But if its just preaching to the choir or echoing the same sentiment? I turn it off.

You know what I'd like to see on this particular subject? How marketing teams come up with stuff like this. Does the addition of boobs really boost sales? Some of the best selling games do not go down that path, so why do some marketing teams repeat this? Does sex really sell anymore?

Collecting reactions from people on a hot topic is just like giving guests airtime on the show. If they were different opinions from each: really interesting. But if its just preaching to the choir or echoing the same sentiment? I turn it off.
I don't think his intent was to necessarily get people that were supporting what he was saying, but just to get an actual female perspective on the situation.

So, I reached out to a number of women members of the video game community, and asked them to provide their individual reactions. There are voices from everywhere in games, from development to fellow writers. I didn't specifically seek out people who had expressed an opinion about Dead Island, I just figured they had one. Some chose to speak directly to what happened, some didn't. There weren't any rules.

I would really be interested in some kind of article over games marketing thinking. So much of it seems incredibly misguided and terrible that it makes me wonder why some of those people continue to get work. Does their approach actually get results they wanted?

Jintor

I've always wondered at how nebulous and fuzzy a marketing job is. You have the hard numbers of how many people actually buy the product, but then almost everything else has to be judged on - what? Customer surveys people routinely lie or joke-answer in or ignore completely? Tracking social media 'buzz', somehow? Watching whether people are talking about your product, good or bad? The whole thing seems like guesswork with glasses on to me.

I went to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. website out of curiosity, after Patrick mentioned they would be playing it and the review quote they chose to highlight for Call of Pripyat is:

Gamespot "The most stable S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game yet" 8

I'm ashamed to say, I tried and failed to get into S.T.A.L.K.E.R. even though I put in a good bit of time and it should be right up my alley. I'll give another shot sometime.

I've always wondered at how nebulous and fuzzy a marketing job is. You have the hard numbers of how many people actually buy the product, but then almost everything else has to be judged on - what? Customer surveys people routinely lie or joke-answer in or ignore completely? Tracking social media 'buzz', somehow? Watching whether people are talking about your product, good or bad? The whole thing seems like guesswork with glasses on to me.

I've always wondered about this too. Don't people really set a lot of stock by pre-orders?

No_Style

I don't think his intent was to necessarily get people that were supporting what he was saying, but just to get an actual female perspective on the situation.

That is my problem with it. It's just perspectives. Like on Piers' show, he gets people on from both sides of an issue that reiterate the same perspectives. Instead of digging into why these issues are the way they are, they just bring in responses. I would have loved to read how a certain team avoided a snafu like this torso and why/how they decided against it or why certain members were for it.

ga6Qxjr.gif

Metro 2033 was a graphical beast. I never ended up finishing it because it was painfully linear. I guess that's what your going to get when the majority of the levels take place in a subway.

Speaking of Dan Teasdale/deliciousbees, I was really surprised when I found out that Beagle of ShackTac/XCOM Ironman Impossible fame was his little brother.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really hope they give Red Faction another shot. Armageddon wasn't great, but it wasn't totally awful. The rest of the games were so much fun. Even RF2./

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom