• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

Dante83

Banned
Campaign mode is bare bones to be honest, and it is used for preparing you to play sports mode. I prefer it having championship races like previous games. Sports mode is still the main focus it seems. At least there is the arcade mode for you to race and set up your cars/environment type before the race. I wonder if there are any rainy stages in the game.

Tomeru

I did play it. It has challenges and training and races. There is no campaign mode.

Your "explanation" will be as much of a fart in the wind as mine was when trying to explain street fighter 5.

Of course, this game doesn't have the Capcom hate squad out to kill it like sf5 did but maybe those weird Xbox fanboys on the internet will start repeating "no campaign mode" enough that it gets into the public consciousness.

It's still not the same situation. Sfv didnt have a feature. Gt takes the old (archaic) version of a feature in a different route. One may not like it, but it's in there.

nw3

on a controller this feels really great, the way the car's balance and grip reacts to inputs

the Gt4 feels just like it does IRL in the corners on track, albeit I was driving a Cayman S...close enough

I am still a bit confused why do I need to buy cars in this game where even in online racing I am suggested to have some cars and not using mine that I bought. The only place that I can use the garage cars is under arcade?
Anyone can clarify this?

I’m pretty sure I saw one of the Sport mode races today was restricted to cars in your garage.

I’m sure the full release will have online races just for players who bought the 30 million credit McLaren.

Donos

Anyone done a 200 lap endurance custom race yet in arcade lol.

That brings dark dark memories to the surface of a 2 hour laguna seca endurance race on GT2 or 3, where i horribly botched the last corner before the finish and the AI overtook me on the last meter. Never raged more about a game.

kriskrosbbk

Yeah, so I was totally wrong about not being able to feel the track. Being used to racing tyres, the default Sports Hard totally threw me off with the shitty grip, that's why I felt disconnected to the road (because I was!).

Now that I'm using proper tyres, my driving experience is remarkably similar to Project Cars 2, which is fantastic. I didn't expect the handling to be so much better than Gran Turismo 6.

I've also been using different lighting conditions and they range from average to excellent. Night and day are amazing, they look REALLY good. Dusk and morning (morning is what I tried yesterday) look pretty average however, at least to my eye.

The mission challenge mode is much meatier than I expected as well. It includes many racing events, so it's more similar to previous GT campaigns than I thought. It's still not as long, but there's a sizable amount of content here. Probably not 60 euros worth of racing, but I'm dying to try the VR mode regardless.

Pretty good show so far.

I wonder which tyres did you use to change the feeling ?
Also anyone can help me understand how can I save replays for future reference.And then where to find them to watch again.

riverfr0zen

Neo Member
A very small selection, yes. At least in the demo.

Yeah, I was wondering what logic that selection followed. Maybe it is, as you say, just there to get people started during the demo. Kinda makes sense for it to remain in full game, I think, for newcomers.

Going to tackle the endurance race today, it's the only gold I'm missing and I want my Stage 6 prize. You can pause though right?
And did I read something about a rubberbanding toggle? Can't seem to find it, not in the general options and not in the driving options for this event.

Close all background apps and games, that'll speed it the hell up

It was a brand new PS4, I hadn't installed a single thing. The GTSport demo was the first thing I tried to install.

No bother, it's downloaded now, although it didn't finish in 3 hours like it said it would. That was the estimated time before I went to bed, got up 7 hours later and it was still downloading. Turned the proxy off, reconnected to the network normally and then it downloaded the remaining 6 gigs in about 10 minutes. Confusing, but oh well.

I wonder which tyres did you use to change the feeling ?
Also anyone can help me understand how can I save replays for future reference.And then where to find them to watch again.
Sport softs, racing softs and super softs... These all feel grippy enough. Sport hard is like driving on ice. You can barely brake.

Going to tackle the endurance race today, it's the only gold I'm missing and I want my Stage 6 prize. You can pause though right?
And did I read something about a rubberbanding toggle? Can't seem to find it, not in the general options and not in the driving options for this event.
You can toggle the rubberbanding in custom arcade races. Not sure about anything else.

GHG

I did play it. It has challenges and training and races. There is no campaign mode.

Your "explanation" will be as much of a fart in the wind as mine was when trying to explain street fighter 5.

Of course, this game doesn't have the Capcom hate squad out to kill it like sf5 did but maybe those weird Xbox fanboys on the internet will start repeating "no campaign mode" enough that it gets into the public consciousness.

There's no explaination needed. There's plenty of single player content that has actually been created and set up by the developers. Is it the same as previous GT games? No. But being different != not existing.

SFV was a completely differnet situation where by the game pretty much launched as an empty shell with the expectation that everyone would be happy to practice and then go online. The equivalent of that here would be GT Sport launching with only its Driving school, Time Trail and Online modes.

Behlel

Have been away from the Sony ecosystem for a few years since I sold my PS3 (2012 maybe?). Picked up a PS4 Pro today for this game, nabbed a PS+ trial and started to the download the trial.....32 hours estimated to completion.

What a boner killer.

On a 60/5 connection, nonetheless. I see that Sony's downloads are still slow as shit, I don't understand. A bit of Google-fu showed me the proxy trick, which I did and the estimated time went immediately down to 3 hours.

Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow.
Put your ps4 in DMZ or open the port needed for a ooen nat.
I have an ISP modem that have a configuration for the ps4 jtself and i have an avg of 9.75MB/s on my 10.6MB/s max, around 2 MB faster than steam.

ty_hot

I did a 53sec lap in the Suzuka qualifying... When I left to the menu it shows my best lap as being a 55 sec, but it still shows my 53 one (it even has the -2sec difference...). No idea why it is not valid I didnt have any penalty, and even if I did I guess it would be added to the lap time.

farisr

There's no explaination needed. There's plenty of single player content that has actually been created and set up by the developers. Is it the same as previous GT games? No. But being different != not existing.

SFV was a completely differnet situation where by the game pretty much launched as an empty shell with the expectation that everyone would be happy to practice and then go online. The equivalent of that here would be GT Sport launching with only its Driving school, Time Trail and Online modes.
The thing is what this campaign basically is is a hybrid form of GT4's missions and GT5 Prologue's events. The only new thing they're doing here is having these events be a stand in as the main campaign mode rather than what was an additional activity in GT4, and what was content they deemed to be fitting enough for a prologue. By and large not anywhere close to career mode equivalents.

So SFV could be considered similar (of course it won't be a 100% the same, but similar still) where it had trials, character stories and survival modes, and a training dummy as the SP offering.

I recall a few people expecting this to be a Prologue+ of sorts after those PD interviews a couple of years ago saying that this was going to be more than a Prologue but not GT7, and the more I think about it, the more that really holds true in regards to the SP content/offering.

The SP in this game would've been a more than a solid offering for a Prologue, but for a full priced GT game it is still quite lacking compared to past full priced games.

These new fantasy tracks are awesome. Dragontrail, Kyoto driving park and Maggoire are so fun to push the car around.

1507619853-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-beta-20171010090418.png

Wallpaper worthy.

how do I get more courses on the arcade mode? I only have 5..

Demo only.

magawolaz

Just won my first race in Sport mode, on Suzuka with Group B cars. Started 7th, got bumped off track and lost two positions, then worked my way up from there.
It helped that most drivers were spinning around every other turn, but I did some nice overtakes. Last one was halfway on the last lap.
So much fun.

I thought there wasn't an option to save replays, but it's at the top of the post-race screen. Almost missed it. They should put it beside the Exit button IMHO.

A few of the VGT cars (like the BMW here) currently don't have modeled interiors. Off the top of my head, the Aston Martin and the Peugeot also lack them too, but there might be some other ones.

Seriously are there cars without interiors?. Also in the final version?. I thought they went for the low number of cars to avoid the GT5 standard cars situation and give a better sensation of polishing.

Seriously are there cars without interiors?. Also in the final version?. I thought they went for the low number of cars to avoid the GT5 standard cars situation and give a better sensation of polishing.

If there aren't actual physical models of the car (Most VGT aren't) and the manufacturer didn't actually design a cockpit what are PD to do?

Tomeru

The thing is what this campaign basically is is a hybrid form of GT4's missions and GT5 Prologue's events. The only new thing they're doing here is having these events be a stand in as the main campaign mode rather than what was an additional activity in GT4, and what was content they deemed to be fitting enough for a prologue. By and large not anywhere close to career mode equivalents.

The SP in this game would've been a more than a solid offering for a Prologue, but for a full priced GT game it is still quite lacking compared to past full priced games.

Every GT was 'basically' an extension of its previous game. The career mode stayed the same for 20 years (!!!), and in all that time many racers took the same. fucking. route. So what you are actually asking for, is the same game you played for the last decade.

There is only so much you can do to freshen up an offline sim. Point in case check out sales of other racers. This is PDs' attempt at rekindling the public interest in "corridor sim racers".

There is no right way to make a game, mind you.

Wish the force feedback was a bit better. Forza 4 seemed like it simulated gear changes/weight shifting which made it easier to read the car.

The game clicked with me this morning. I don't think I'll cancel the preorder.

Wish the force feedback was a bit better. Forza 4 seemed like it simulated gear changes/weight shifting which made it easier to read the car.

The game clicked with me this morning. I don't think I'll cancel the preorder.
Have you tried turning the level down in the options? It was set to 5 for my T300 and this causes a very heavy and very dead wheel. All the detail was getting clipped out.

Lots more "dirty" drivers than in the beta. Still mostly clean. Kinda figured that will happen. Sports mode will get better over time when the SR starts being put to use.

I imagine it's because the car manufacturer didn't give PD a cockpit.

In general, VGT is a non-competitive subclass of vehicles that are present in the game, just for the fun of seeing the cool, futuristic designs and theoretical handling. It's still fun to have them, cockpit or no, and you can really take or leave them, to be honest.

Mush

But to be fair, it's not up to PD to design the interiors. The cars (without interiors) have been around for over 3 years now. :/

Aspiring

So just tried some online. Qualified third. Awesome. Get run up my ass spin and I lose sr...what?

Fought back to finish 5th. Was a good race just dont understand why I lost SR.

Anyway second race i qualify and as it is matching i just get a black screen. Music playing but nothing else. Sat there 10 minutes and than decided it needs a reset. Oh well

They need to fix this slowing down AI, I started a custom 1hr dragon race with boost / tyre / fuel off / starting from last and 20 minutes into the race they just gave up allowing me to close up and take the lead.

Leader:

1:45
1:48
1:49
1:50

Me:

1:46
1:44

How have they not fixed this in 4 years? It also seems the arcade mode and race missions are also locked boostfests?

Absolutely sickening stuff.

That Lake Maggiore track also has an invisible object sticking out of the barrier that will stop a car dead or pin ball it across the track (will post gif later)

giphy.gif

Had a Sport Mode race at BB Raceway. Started in 3rd place and everything was going fine as I was about .4 from the lead...and then we started lapping people. By the end of the race i'm 10s+ back from the lead, although I still stayed in 3rd. The congestion on a track like that is a fucking killer.

Is there seriously no way to enable manual clutch? I'm not seeing the option anywhere.

I also wish I could find tune the force feedback more. It just feels numb coming from Project Cars 2.

24 hour G1 endurance race at pro level, back of the grid with penalties turned up and fuel/tyre wear/damage on.

Easy money

WWjDbDF.png

Don't know why it's short a couple of stars? Maybe there's a higher difficulty locked away, or on a more difficult track (this was dragon's trail)?

They need to fix this slowing down AI, I started a custom 1hr dragon race with boost / tyre / fuel off / starting from last and 20 minutes into the race they just gave up allowing me to close up and take the lead.

Leader:

1:48
1:49
1:50

Me:

1:46
1:44

How have they not fixed this in 4 years? It also seems the arcade mode and race missions are also locked boostfests?

Absolutely sickening stuff.

That Lake Maggiore track also has an invisible object sticking out of the barrier that will stop a car dead or pin ball it across the track (will post gif later)

Did you turn off the rubber banding?

Top Bottom