• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Every GT was 'basically' an extension of its previous game. The career mode stayed the same for 20 years (!!!), and in all that time many racers took the same. fucking. route. So what you are actually asking for, is the same game you played for the last decade.

There is only so much you can do to freshen up an offline sim. Point in case check out sales of other racers. This is PDs' attempt at rekindling the public interest in "corridor sim racers".

There is no right way to make a game, mind you.

This is right on. For better or for worse, PD are done with the model they iterated on for the last two decades and are trying to push the genre in a new direction. It's a bold move, because status quo bias is a real thing and for many people the realisation that this is not a 'more of the same' situation has been reason enough to dismiss it outright.

As to the success of the final execution and how it goes over with people? That remains to be seen, but you have to say this for PD: it would have been quicker, cheaper and safer to do a reskinned GT6 with new cars and visuals. The time and energy they've invested in attempting to change things up and develop their medium - whether or not it succeeds - is admirable in itself.

Snubbers

Can someone tell me the easiest way to get my DFGT working with this game. Is it worth it?

Chronusmax DriveHub..

I'm considering getting one for my Fanatec CSW v2, as native support seems a bit up in the air at the moment, but the Drivehub is confirmed as working and supports logitech/thrustmaster and fanatec wheels..

invisibleB

Neo Member
Anyone else having problems going back into settings after first boot and setting it all up? Wanted to change to frame rate mode for the Pro and mess with exposure levels! but just crashes with error code!.... everytime!

Also im a nerd when it comes to tv's but even im like hmmm what exactly does the exposure setting do! (assume just pushes up the white balance) as it looked better when i punched it up by 5 points. But then left it at standard to test first!.... as was worried pushing it up could kill shadows.
Also interesting that saturation was set to 100 by default...

otapnam

Logitech always treated me nice and currently looking for deals on the G29.

T300RS

But build quality has been questionable for some so if you can find a better deal on a logictech G29 that would also be fine.

I got a G29 on prime day for $200 then wound up getting the shifter for free due to an amazon mistake.

I'm pretty happy about it.

If you don't know about camelcamelcamel.com, it's a site that tracks prices on Amazon and alerts you to price drops and also had historical prices on products.

I have the g29 and t150 tracked right now since i made up my mind on getting a wheel this gen.

With that said, last holiday they were both available for really low prices. I hope they drop again

Every GT was 'basically' an extension of its previous game. The career mode stayed the same for 20 years (!!!), and in all that time many racers took the same. fucking. route. So what you are actually asking for, is the same game you played for the last decade.

There is only so much you can do to freshen up an offline sim. Point in case check out sales of other racers. This is PDs' attempt at rekindling the public interest in "corridor sim racers".

There is no right way to make a game, mind you.

Amen!

amdb00mer

Ya know, I try to avoid the whole console war thing, but Sony limiting download speed of digital content is really stupid. 10 hours Sony? Really? Say what you will about MS, but they are on point with their downloads. If your download is slow, it usually is because of your connection. To put it into perspective, it took me about 40 minutes to download the Star Wars Battlefront 2 beta on X1 the other day. I did it there as all my friends are online on Xbox Live. So yesterday, I wanted to try out the GT Sport demo/trial. Ok, 43GB download, no problem let's start the download. Estimated time of download was 10 hours. Holy crap! I got tired of waiting and put the PS4 in rest mode. I'll test it out today when I get home from work. Sorry for the rant.

I'm curious GAF, how well does it look in HDR on the Pro? I want to test it on my TCL P605 with HDR and 4K. The videos that I did see online looked good, but really want to test/experience it for myself.

Mobius 1

Seriously are there cars without interiors?. Also in the final version?. I thought they went for the low number of cars to avoid the GT5 standard cars situation and give a better sensation of polishing.

The manufacturer that designed the car did not create an interior, and Polyphony can’t invent one because the car is intellectual property of the manufacturer. I doubt they will, at this point. It’s been a few years since BMW put out their VGT car and nothing changed since.

Ya know, I try to avoid the whole console war thing, but Sony limiting download speed of digital content is really stupid. 10 hours Sony? Really? Say what you will about MS, but they are on point with their downloads. If your download is slow, it usually is because of your connection. To put it into perspective, it took me about 40 minutes to download the Star Wars Battlefront 2 beta on X1 the other day. I did it there as all my friends are online on Xbox Live. So yesterday, I wanted to try out the GT Sport demo/trial. Ok, 43GB download, no problem let's start the download. Estimated time of download was 10 hours. Holy crap! I got tired of waiting and put the PS4 in rest mode. I'll test it out today when I get home from work. Sorry for the rant.

I'm curious GAF, how well does it look in HDR on the Pro? I want to test it on my TCL P605 with HDR and 4K. The videos that I did see online looked good, but really want to test/experience it for myself.

HDR is really well done, the headlamps dazzle you in the mirrors.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
in scapes mode I'm slightly confused how the motion blur transitions between car and background. Is that controlled by the 'tracking' percentage? eg 100% trackign will keep the car sharp and the background move, and 0% will keep background sharp and car blurred (and variable inbetween)?

and how does the speed work - when you turn on panning, you can set the speed of the car. Is the car moving based on the direction the wheels are pointing?

riverfr0zen

Neo Member
Anyone else having problems going back into settings after first boot and setting it all up? Wanted to change to frame rate mode for the Pro and mess with exposure levels! but just crashes with error code!.... everytime!

nPX1YBT6_o.jpg

...im like hmmm what exactly does the exposure setting do! ...as it looked better when i punched it up by 5 points.

Just make sure you're taking the whole image into account. Higher EV, for e.g. may cause clouds to be whitened out and such.

dugdug

Banned
Haven't been able to play because my internet's been down, but, can any GT franchise fans confirm a healthy presence of Daiki Kasho songs in this?

witness

I don’t know how random the car prizes are but I’m fucking psyched I got a Porsche Cayman Gr. 4, this thing is awesome. Loving the demo. The credits earned and the cars carrying over to the full game makes the Collectors Edition pointless purchase for me so just going standard.

My only issue is I wish the Sport races weren’t organized so weirdly, why isn’t there a quick match option? I don’t want to join some rando’s lobby.

JamboGT

Have to say the netplay is massively improved over 5 and 6, in a private lobby last night and you would have thought we were on a LAN!

Footos22

Mine downloaded in 45 mins

Drackhorn

I don’t know how random the car prizes are but I’m fucking psyched I got a Porsche Cayman Gr. 4, this thing is awesome. Loving the demo. The credits earned and the cars carrying over to the full game makes the Collectors Edition pointless purchase for me so just going standard.

My only issue is I wish the Sport races weren’t organized so weirdly, why isn’t there a quick match option? I don’t want to join some rando’s lobby.
Do cars you get carry over to the full game? I hope so.

xrnzaaas

This thread alone has more posts than the Forza 7 OT- this shows how high is the interest in this game.

GAF is never a good barometer for vg popularity, but yes, it's very likely that GTS will have a much better week 1 sales than Forza 7.

kriskrosbbk

Did they somehow remove changing liveries also suit and helmet color.
I am sure I saw this yesterday under home and now it is not possible.

Never mind: Livery editor.

blackjon24

Ya know, I try to avoid the whole console war thing, but Sony limiting download speed of digital content is really stupid. 10 hours Sony? Really? Say what you will about MS, but they are on point with their downloads. If your download is slow, it usually is because of your connection. To put it into perspective, it took me about 40 minutes to download the Star Wars Battlefront 2 beta on X1 the other day. I did it there as all my friends are online on Xbox Live. So yesterday, I wanted to try out the GT Sport demo/trial. Ok, 43GB download, no problem let's start the download. Estimated time of
download was 10 hours. Holy crap! I got tired of waiting and put the PS4 in rest mode. I'll test it out today when I get home from work. Sorry for the rant.

I'd normally agree with you with psn downloads a 40 gig download would usually take like 8-10 to finish downloading on ps4 but for this game it only took around 3 hours to download the whole thing!

otapnam

I'd normally agree with you with psn downloads a 40 gig download would usually take like 8-10 to finish downloading on ps4 but for this game it only took around 3 hours to download the whole thing!

It took me an hour on Saturday. Psn could just be loaded now that everyone knows

um, it took me a little over 3 hours.

50mbps connection, from Malaysia.

Crayon

My psn dl are usually slow but I got this game in like 2 hours. I've seen that happen before tho. It's seemingly random.

Dave_6

Played the first beta a ton and loving this one even more so far, in the little time I had to play it last night. Looks amazing on my OLED too and has some of the best HDR implementation in a game yet.

If I preorder the physical version, will the stuff I've done so far still carry over?

Griss

I put the settings on expert but want to change them - I feel like I'm driving an ice cube even when I feather the brakes. Honestly I can barely feel the track at all. How do I get access to the actual game settings? I can't find them anywhere.

The UI in general is driving me crazy. It looks lovely but it's so hard to find the shit you want to find. And you get messages like 'press triangle to collect reward' but then you press it and it just takes you to the museum or some shit.

Also, what's even the point of your garage? You seem to be able to select from a bunch of other cars for races, or in challenges the car is pre-selected.

And the campaign looks awful, as usual. I mean, it looks wonderful - as a tutorial. It's a great tutorial, I love it as that. But it really doesn't seem like it's going to be a proper motorsport career mode at all, which is what I'd want.

On the other hand, the game is gorgeous as hell, and I love its sense of style. I have no access to Forza as I don't have an Xbox or PC. So I'm still very tempted...

It's so utterly wonderful to play a real Gran Turismo-ass Gran Turismo game again.
The total package just drips with that trademark sort of obsession to detail. I also like how the backgrounds to the main menu interfaces can all turn into screensavers at the drop of a hat. Went to showroom to browse some vehicles, then got caught up in those showcase videos with Ayrton Senna and Emerson Fittipaldi. The window dressing on it all is nuts, and quite welcome.

Sadly my old racing stand for my T500RS has fallen apart. Need to order a new one asap.
Game looks stunning, but I have such trouble with racing on a pad ever since being baptized in the waters of wheel racing with Driveclub. I did manage to put some time in to the driving school and some time trials. Game looks stunning, though some cracks in the polish show up from time to time (like some noticeable shimmering in certain lighting conditions, variable foliage quality, etc), but with 4K+HDR10 (I'm on a 2016 Vizio P-series) it's downright gorgeous overall. Also, the in cockpit audio is really, really good, at least to my ear.

I'm all in on this.

23qwerty

close any background apps and games, this has massively increased the download speed for everything I've ever downloaded since reading about the fix

It's so utterly wonderful to play a real Gran Turismo-ass Gran Turismo game again.
The total package just drips with that trademark sort of obsession to detail. I also like how the backgrounds to the main menu interfaces can all turn into screensavers at the drop of a hat. Went to showroom to browse some vehicles, then got caught up in those showcase videos with Ayrton Senna and Emerson Fittipaldi. The window dressing on it all is nuts, and quite welcome.
With the way that obsession to detail comes out it creates such a relaxing game to sit back and play. The amount of time you can just spend in the menus not caring about anything is kind've impressive. Scapes really adds to that.

farisr

If I preorder the physical version, will the stuff I've done so far still carry over?
Yes. Just don't delete your save. Everything (that is allowed to be carried over) will be carried over regardless of whether you have a digital or physical version.

Top Bottom