• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Whitecrow

Banned
You didn't notice the blurry textures, zero AF that the motion blur hides? you noticed the aliasing at least...Same old arguments about PS4 exclusives since day one. Ignore all the flaws because you're so invested and emotional about your games. I can accept the game looks incredible at times, you can't accept it can also look shite

27124448754_fe313b077d_h.jpg
Checked it. It certainly falls apart when you stop. But that matters 0 when in motion looks this great.
Aliasing and texture filtering were problems almost all PS4 games had. But if you leave those aside, Driveclub lighting tech is still great now.

Also, a lot of people like to criticise the game when it's not raining or whatever. Like, reality sometimes looks boring too.

For example, Horizon ZD was using like 6 or 8 prebaked times of day, FW was using 16? DC is not using any prebaked shit.
Full time lapse, along with randomly generated clouds, which also affects how the track looks. Add the dynamic weather effects on top of that.
DC is doing so many many things, and doing it well, that when someone only points at only frigging thing it fails at, looks really dumb for downplaying everything else.

Senua

Gold Member
Checked it. It certainly falls apart when you stop. But that matters 0 when in motion looks this great.
Aliasing and texture filtering were problems almost all PS4 games had. But if you leave those aside, Driveclub lighting tech is still great now.

Also, a lot of people like to criticise the game when it's not raining or whatever. Like, reality sometimes looks boring too.

For example, Horizon ZD was using like 6 or 8 prebaked times of day, FW was using 16? DC is not using any prebaked shit.
Full time lapse, along with randomly generated clouds, which also affects how the track looks. Add the dynamic weather effects on top of that.
DC is doing so many many things, and doing it well, that when someone only points at only frigging thing it fails at, looks really dumb for downplaying everything else.
How the fuck am I downplaying everything else? Literally have always said how incredible how Driveclub can look, the best weather effects in a driving game ever etc. I posted a retort to the comment "I played driveclub recently and it looks incredible aside from aliasing." by posted other flaws than just aliasing. It's a graphical fidelity thread, we're talking about the good AND bad of graphics

Whitecrow

Banned
How the fuck am I downplaying everything else? Literally have always said how incredible how Driveclub can look, the best weather effects in a driving game ever etc. I posted a retort to the comment "I played driveclub recently and it looks incredible aside from aliasing." by posted other flaws than just aliasing. It's a graphical fidelity thread, we're talking about the good AND bad of graphics
Not talking about you specifically. As far as I remember, (and this DC discussions have been going for ages now), you're the only one criticising the filtering while not downplaying the other things.
Most people just use your same pick, and followed it by a DC looks like shit, (or it only looks good while on rain) and that was the end of their arguments.

Senua

Gold Member
Not talking about you specifically. As far as I remember, (and this DC discussions have been going for ages now), you're the only one criticising the filtering while not downplaying the other things.
Most people just use your same pick, and followed it by a DC looks like shit, (or it only looks good while on rain) and that was the end of their arguments.
Well yea there are dishonest muppets all around. As I said in my original post I think Evolution used the PS4's horsepower in the optimal way, focusing on what we notice in moment to moment gameplay over what may stick out in a stationary screenshot. But I still think it's important to be aware of what the games shortcomings are too and to keep everything in perspective. I feel a lot of people don't want to talk about games shortcoming because they are emotionally invested in them which I find a bit silly

SKYF@ll

Running open-world action games (no loading), high-speed flight, and ray tracing at 4K is taxing even on high-end PCs.
Many cars and NPCs move around following traffic rules.(React to the player's action.)
Ray-tracing reflection coverage includes windows, mirrors, metal, NPC glasses, and Spidey's suit.
I think Spider-Man 2 has a level of graphical quality that was not possible on the PS4 generation.
1st image is Photo Mode(non effect),2nd is in game. (Fidelity 4K(DRS)/40fps)
eGvHIJX.png
tdhriFP.png

rofif

Banned
Running open-world action games (no loading), high-speed flight, and ray tracing at 4K is taxing even on high-end PCs.
Many cars and NPCs move around following traffic rules.(React to the player's action.)
Ray-tracing reflection coverage includes windows, mirrors, metal, NPC glasses, and Spidey's suit.
I think Spider-Man 2 has a level of graphical quality that was not possible on the PS4 generation.
eGvHIJX.png
tdhriFP.png
I am really interested how it will run on pc. Seems so much more demanding than SM1

ChiefDada

Gold Member
eGvHIJX.png
tdhriFP.png

Easily the most comprehensive next gen experience to date.

I am really interested how it will run on pc. Seems so much more demanding than SM1

Luckily the SM PC ports arrive 2 years later so vast majority of PC in 2025 should handle it. But if it were to release alongside PS5 version, many PC players would be in tears.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

It will run fine, Nixxes is very good at supporting all the newest PC tech so DLSS 3.5 / Frame generation / FSR 3 / XeSS is pretty much guaranteed. Very good developer and they support the hell out of their PC ports. Both Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales are still getting patches, with the latest released few weeks ago that added support for XeSS 1.2.0 and other improvements. A++.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Where do we place ragnarok?
It got kinda overlooked last year because it released late 2022 and this was elden ring year anyway.
I know it looks almost identical on ps4, but it looks so clean and sharp on ps5. it really is a stunner.
I only took these on release before patches. There was no photo mode yet.
Maybe I should replay it on easy, to actually feel like god of war and not god of dying lol.
And maybe I could try not hating atreus and angrboda parts...

UrPDiYZ.jpg

2BHyOLO.jpg

IGxLyth.jpg

huEbvCh.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Where do we place ragnarok?
We don’t. This thread is about graphics fidelity we expect this Gen. And ssm proudly admitted they wanted to make a last Gen game with zero next Gen features added. So yeah, fuck em.

I would not put this game in my top ten graphics list on principal alone. Get fucked Cory. Maybe make a next Gen game next time you decide to charge $70 for a game.

SlimySnake

At this point, I know you're just trolling lol, either that or you have some god tier rose tinted glasses when it comes to this game.
Chief lost me on this one. That building is in the game and looks nothing like that movie version.

I think Spider-Man 2 is a huge upgrade over the base game but calling visuals next Gen and comparing them to movie cg is insane.

SABRE220

Chief lost me on this one. That building is in the game and looks nothing like that movie version.

I think Spider-Man 2 is a huge upgrade over the base game but calling visuals next Gen and comparing them to movie cg is insane.
I mean you can bring a person who has no knowledge of graphics at all and you show those two screens and even they would laugh at the comparison....I truly wish we could have a look through chief's eyes to get what he sees.

For me spiderman 2 is definitely not a huge leap, its a decent leap where they bumped the general fidelity a decent level resuing alot of assets but is not as consistent in polish as the first game and barely improved in terms of character models. The streaming and traversal are brilliant but the fidelity on display is in no way what I would think of as next gen its basically the same jump as forbidden west on the ps5 much better than the absolutely lazy effort from ssm in terms of the ps5 version but again as a nextgen only title its nowhere near the same level of ambition as spiderman 1 was on the ps4....but well Sony is milking them dry this gen so they had to be frugal.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

SM2 sits comfortably in next-gen territory. And I'm talking about the buildings in general. Look at the building to the right in the movie pic. The lighting doesn't even make any sense. The facade shouldn't be so bright in the midst of taller buildings which would most of the daylight. You won't find such lighting discrepancy in SM2 midtown area.

SlimySnake

SM2 sits comfortably in next-gen territory. And I'm talking about the buildings in general. Look at the building to the right in the movie pic. The lighting doesn't even make any sense. The facade shouldn't be so bright in the midst of taller buildings which would most of the daylight. You won't find such lighting discrepancy in SM2 midtown area.
not in terms of visuals. traffic density, pedestrian variety, traversal, and some setpieces, sure.

but graphics wise its a HZD to HFW leap, a significant one, but nothing more.

SlimySnake

I mean you can bring a person who has no knowledge of graphics at all and you show those two screens and even they would laugh at the comparison....I truly wish we could have a look through chief's eyes to get what he sees.

For me spiderman 2 is definitely not a huge leap, its a decent leap where they bumped the general fidelity a decent level resuing alot of assets but is not as consistent in polish as the first game and barely improved in terms of character models. The streaming and traversal are brilliant but the fidelity on display is in no way what I would think of as next gen its basically the same jump as forbidden west on the ps5 much better than the absolutely lazy effort from ssm in terms of the ps5 version but again as a nextgen only title its nowhere near the same level of ambition as spiderman 1 was on the ps4....but well Sony is milking them dry this gen so they had to be frugal.
Agreed that its a HZD to HFW caliber leap, but disagree that it is not a huge leap. I guess your definition of huge is generational, but to me, it's a significant leap in visual fidelity that shows a team that cared about pushing the bar, but just wasnt afforded the 4-5 years SSM and GG were afforded.

I have been making some spiderman 2 comparisons to the PS5 remaster, and the leap in lighting, reflections and buildings is substantial.

CSDY583.gif

KbrS2RC.gif

And yeah, i dont get chiefdada sometimes.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
E9Cq_nRWQAM0cKC

E9CrCtIXIAEDX5p

E9Cq2ZSWYAYzBmb

E9Cqo5lWQAEh0Rd

E9CqxhQXEAUeqZh

TLOU 2 character faces/models, during gameplay, on a Base PS4. Yes, in order to appreciate them, you have use photo mode to change the camera angle to actually see their faces.

The facial animations during combat were sublime. You can pause the game mid-attack at any moment and the characters faces are all showing proper emotion. Your knuckles get bruised and bloody after a few punches. Look at Abby's knuckles in the 1st pic.

The game may show its age damn near 4 years later, but lets stop pretending this game wasn't a graphical masterpiece and the absolute benchmark (for all platforms) on release

Last edited:

setoman

This game wasn't designed with ray tracing/path tracing in mind, that's why the "improvements" are minor.

I'm confused, what are you trying to say here? That this isn't the best looking game of all time?

TLOU 2 character faces/models, during gameplay, on a Base PS4. Yes, in order to appreciate them, you have use photo mode to change the camera angle to actually see their faces.

The facial animations during combat were sublime. You can pause the game mid-attack at any moment and the characters faces are all showing proper emotion. Your knuckles get bruised and bloody after a few punches. Look at Abby's knuckles in the 1st pic.

The game may show its age damn near 4 years later, but lets stop pretending this game wasn't a graphical masterpiece and the absolute benchmark (for all platforms) on release
In its time TLOUS2 alongside RDR2 held the crown as 1A1B best looking game of all time.
But after playing AW2 and watching the DF video above.
Looking at TLOUS2 pictures again makes me want to vomit.

Post Gen Clarity
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Represent.

I'm confused, what are you trying to say here? That this isn't the best looking game of all time?

In its time TLOUS2 alongside RDR2 held the crown as 1A1B best looking game of all time.
As it should, The game is nearly 4 years old. But it held its own amongst the best of this gen for a disturbingly long time.
I suspect TLOU 3 and GTA 6 will destroy everything at the end of the gen, again

shamoomoo

Post Gen Clarity
giphy.gif
Huh? Path tracing and ray tracing are only minor improvements in this particular game,I don't know how you came to the conclusion I said Alan Wake 2 is ugly.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Post Gen Clarity
giphy.gif

TLOU2 released in 2020, right? Same year as Cyberpunk. Man, Cyberpunk is something else.

Represent.

103492aad3b97bc38f2756d80f331e715a9826d2.gif

Rq9-Ucov5d-Oz-Z9zaz-Gfz-I0t-JF.jpg

Fe4g8X1UAAEf9SZ

52375869646_c4bd9c82d8_o.png

52374923057_3fc014a63e_o.png

52385336398_594770ffe1_o.png

52385525850_9fc1cc91a3_o.png

Look at them damn eyes. In every fucking photo. I await the day this games facial animations are topped. Or even equalled. Nothing touches it

The way the faces actually ANIMATE. While talking, and emoting. Its all in the eyes. Not even AW2 is on this level when it comes to facial animations in cutscenes.

And for that reason alone, I cant call it a lazy remake. How can the game with the greatest facial animations in the history of the medium be lazy? I dont care if thats where they spent all their time. Shit was worth it. Its not like other games have had groundbreaking new game design since TLOU came out. Shit has been stagnant as fuck in that department

Last edited:

setoman

This is CG. People need to be careful posting pics from character artists from ArtStation.
Because their "screenshots" ARE pre-rendered and alot of times they are using the Zbrush high-res version of the character with CG render which is for their resume.
I have seen people post Nathan's Zbrush CG shots from there aswell.

Last edited:

Represent.

God tier.

Animation man. Makes all the difference. ND makes everyone else look amateurish. Its why TLOU 2 and Part 1 will look good in motion 5 years from now.

Im supposed to think RE4 and Dead Space surpassed this?

JqYWMbV.gif

Look at this womans eyes in GAMEPLAY as she gets stabbed. Look at the way her body just folds as she dies. No other game is doing this, not this gen, not last gen.
ND gave us cutscene quality death animations in fucking gameplay.

Last edited:

Represent.

This is CG. People need to be careful posting pics from character artists from ArtStation.
Because their "screenshots" ARE pre-rendered and alot of times they are using the Zbrush high-res version of the character with CG render which is for their resume.
I have seen people post Nathan's Zbrush CG shots from there aswell.
It aint CG, its an in-engine real time cutscene

Alex11

Someone prove to me how this isn't the best looking game of all time.

It's one of the best, but for me not THE best because of things like these:

BvsqOmQ.jpeg

IMO it has an amazing atmosphere and gorgeous artistic lighting, but these masks some of the problems.

Musilla

God tier.

Animation man. Makes all the difference. ND makes everyone else look amateurish. Its why TLOU 2 and Part 1 will look good in motion 5 years from now.

Im supposed to think RE4 and Dead Space surpassed this?

JqYWMbV.gif

Look at this womans eyes in GAMEPLAY as she gets stabbed.
It's photo mode...

rofif

Banned
103492aad3b97bc38f2756d80f331e715a9826d2.gif

Rq9-Ucov5d-Oz-Z9zaz-Gfz-I0t-JF.jpg

Fe4g8X1UAAEf9SZ

52375869646_c4bd9c82d8_o.png

52374923057_3fc014a63e_o.png

52385336398_594770ffe1_o.png

52385525850_9fc1cc91a3_o.png

Look at them damn eyes. In every fucking photo. I await the day this games facial animations are topped. Or even equalled. Nothing touches it

The way the faces actually ANIMATE. While talking, and emoting. Its all in the eyes. Not even AW2 is on this level when it comes to facial animations in cutscenes.

And for that reason alone, I cant call it a lazy remake. How can the game with the greatest facial animations in the history of the medium be lazy? I dont care if thats where they spent all their time. Shit was worth it. Its not like other games have had groundbreaking new game design since TLOU came out. Shit has been stagnant as fuck in that department
Let me add some of my tlou1 shots from ps5 version:
No RT whatsoever in this game and look how amazing it looks. This is the power of proper bake if you don't use RT.
Alan Wake 2 could've done that but it was probably way too much work to do that for non-rt version. Would require 2 totally different versions of the game.

Biggest mistake for TLOU part1 is disabling film grain. The game uses aggressive custom anti aliasing and everything can look waxy/too smooth without it.
j5U5146.jpg

NumnMPV.jpg

LrCQcio.jpg

6CQvQ1J.jpg

GbpGeIf.jpg

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Let me add some of my tlou1 shots from ps5 version:
No RT whatsoever in this game and look how amazing it looks. This is the power of proper bake if you don't use RT.
Alan Wake 2 could've done that but it was probably way too much work to do that for non-rt version. Would require 2 totally different versions of the game.

Biggest mistake for TLOU part1 is disabling film grain. The game uses aggressive custom anti aliasing and everything can look waxy/too smooth without it.
j5U5146.jpg

NumnMPV.jpg

LrCQcio.jpg

6CQvQ1J.jpg

GbpGeIf.jpg

You aren't sharing anything revelatory here. Baked lighting is easy in cinematics where everything can be staged and in stills where lighting is static.

It's in motion / in gameplay where RTGI/shadows/reflections really shine and make games like TLOU look last gen.

TLOU still looks fantastic and it's cinematics and animations are unmatched, mind you.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
You aren't sharing anything rvelatory here. Baked lighting is easy in cinematics and in stills where lighting can be static.

It's in motion / in gameplay where RTGI/shadows/reflections really shine and make games like TLOU look last gen.

TLOU still looks fantastic in cinematics and their animations are unmatched, mind you.
bollocks. I don't see time of day changing or sun moving in AW2. No reason more stuff couldn't be baked just like tlou2.
You can still have dynamic lighting, gi and all this stuff.

not my video:

The fact that game has baked lighting, doesn't mean it has to be static and incorrect for dynamic objects too.

M1987

Just started Robocop and it runs and looks really good for a UE5 game.The npc's are not the best,but the world looks fantastic

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
bollocks. I don't see time of day changing or sun moving in AW2. No reason more stuff couldn't be baked just like tlou2.
You can still have dynamic lighting, gi and all this stuff.

not my video:

The fact that game has baked lighting, doesn't mean it has to be static and incorrect for dynamic objects too.

Again, nothing you're sharing here is particularly impressive or revelatory.

TLOU (or any not-RT) game is just not accomplishing anything like what AW is accomplishing as far as lighting/shadows/reflections go:

53309321389_1f979dd5fd_o.png

53309213093_41abf6216d_o.png

Top Bottom