• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Not wanting to get involved in this argument but is this a shot of a cutscene using photo mode? If it is does the game improve the image in photo mode?

I don't think so or at least I couldn't see the difference. There's a huge difference between character models in-gameplay and in-cinematics. Like, generational difference. Like, it's not even the same person difference.

Msamy

Looks like some here don't understand what's the the difference between cgi and real time lol, the truth is that all last of us remake cutscencs are real time and the only reason that they sometimes looks better than pure gameplay beacause the lighting artist's have full control of lighting in cutscencs which make them looks better, other than that those who come here and say that last of is remake use cgi actually know nothing about video games development and the difference between real time cutscencs and cgi .

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The shot you and him are posting are not from the same scene and frame in the game.

Are you serious? No, you're not. You're trolling. I posted 3 timestamped videos to this exact moment in the game. I'll do it again, because I like you so much and you clearly having challenges:

Besides - since when this argument is about comparing artist portfolio to game screenshot.

Since he posted a screen from artist portfolio? Jesus, you are really special boy, you know?

rofif

Banned
That game = Forspoken.

Listen dude, we all agree that cinematics in TLOU games are second to none. We're just arguing about principle of using bullshots and trying to pass them as in-game footage as experienced in the final game.

Does the game looks like this (posted by you, of course):

Fe4g8X1UAAEf9SZ

Duplicate this shot in the game, then we'll talk.
Here. Took me 10 fucking seconds to find yt recording of that EXACT scene.
it is indentical. The guy is playing performance mode without film grain, so of course it would look 4k, hdr and so on. I am not playing it to capture. It's far into the dlc.
You can see it's exact same fucking scene. Same lights. same everything
26:19

A8zvfGP.png

I don't think so or at least I couldn't see the difference. There's a huge difference between character models in-gameplay and in-cinematics. Like, generational difference. Like, it's not even the same person difference.
Yeah agree but what about that screen shot is not representative of the game? If its not improved or touched up is what I mean?

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
wtf are you doing man. stop
Represent. Represent. ChiefDada ChiefDada I don't know what's happening in this thread anymore man. Maybe it's time we leave.
People are falling over Alan Wake just brute forcing graphics with Path Tracing while true state of the art games with amazing mix of techniques and ideas are called last gen. Sure, let's brute force all out graphics on 4090 next.
Seriously. This is how tlou part1 looks on a freaking ps5. The same ps5 that Alan Wake2 struggles to run at 30fps, has worst image quality, shadows, ssr and grain this gen.
BUT IT'S SO AMAZING BECAUSE WE CAN FORCE PATH TRACING ON A GOOD PC wow such tech.
The screenshots I posted were from my game playing on my ps5 in real time. Not any portfolios or renders.

oV1bjT9.jpg

This one is in-game. Just enabled photo mode to remove character. It's not even a shot from cutscene. And I only played it for an hour... I will have more shots when I finally play it.
And that game got 40fps mode and 60 and even unlocked performance mode that's close to 90fps.
C2HonbL.jpg

WQDtUnC.jpg

And sure, it's baked but the effect is still amazing and specularity moves with the camera. Lighting on your character changes naturaly. It's not just static static.

And here is me placing red floodlight in the scene with photo mode. They don't just have some dumb bake. There is some soft of software gi at play too
TeFlpku.jpg

Really all I'm saying is that Alan Wake 2 gameplay, at times, looks better than any game ever made. There's not a single gameplay scene of TLOU Part II that looks as good as this:

53305755884_c2e3ee883c_o.png

or this:

53305285538_21b2716aab_o.png

or this:

53294657157_29b7e47238_o.png

As I said earlier, TLOU II remains unmatched in cutscenes and animations, but it's been surpassed in pretty much every other way. I do agree with you that Naughty Dog is the master of optimizing the hardware they're on whereas Alan Wake has more of a brute force approach that really rewards high end hardware and doesn't shine as much on consoles.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Really all I'm saying is that Alan Wake 2 gameplay, at times, looks better than any game ever made. There's not a single gameplay scene of TLOU Part II that looks as good as this:

or this:

or this:

As I said earlier, TLOU II remains unmatched in cutscenes and animations, but it's been surpassed in pretty much every other way. I do agree with you that Naughty Dog is the master of optimizing the hardware they're on whereas Alan Wake has more of a brute force approach that really rewards high end hardware and doesn't shine as much on consoles.

These night scenes in NY would make for a nice comparison to TLOU1 remake opening scene in that small town that you enter with Joel's daughter.

Last edited:

SABRE220

I mean, you're describing yourself here.
Im sorry chief but when you start claiming that building assets from a hightier cgi marvel movie and a barely nextgen ps5 game are comparable then your argument becomes rather nonsensical and the fact that you're doubling down is rather scary.

Msamy

The fact that next Naughty dog single player game may set the graphics benchmark in all platforms like every generation bother some peoples here lol.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think you steered a bit far in the other direction and just started nitpicking the greats from last Gen. I replay my last Gen favorites very routinely, including the titles you just named and I don’t think they’re as bad as you’re making them out to be. Not even close.
Perhaps. But thats the point i was trying to make. We nitpick current gen games, but not last gen titles. When Arkham knight came out, we all agreed it was the best looking game at the time despite the fact that the Order was out and both Order and Ryse were pushing higher fidelity character model and asset quality. It was just understood that Arkham Knight had its strengths and weaknesses, but overall fidelity is what mattered back then.

Now i see people put down these amazing looking games even though they are doing things even TLOU2, THE best looking game of last gen was not doing.

The b team is making a dlc, corey is still doing his new thing.

Yeah he should hope in insomniac, maybe they are gonna steal a combat or stealth system from another brand for wolverine, so much talent, such big ambition :LOL: :LOL:

Ragnarock really killed your goldfish and stole your girlfriend during college uh? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Cory had five years to get his new IP ready for full production. He is not there yet. The SSM team is doing the same thing ND did with TLOU Remake. They have nothing to work on and because they arent greedy cunts who will lay off everyone, they are having people work on a useless DLC. Neil did the same thing after shipping TLOU2. Had nothing lined up for his team then to make matters worse, he pissed off to make his tv show before being called back a year and a half later. Piss poor management by Cory and Neil who are the best directors over at sony.

I don’t know where you get this from.
I played driveclub recently and it looks incredible aside from aliasing.
I replayed uncharted 4 this years and took 300 screenshots again. It still looks better than most games. The only areas these PS4 games lack behind is lod distance.

If you are looking for flaws, you will find them. But you are so cherry picking bad from last gen and good from this. And you might not be doing it on purpose but this is how it looks :p
These are old games now. Of course they are missing some tech. But games like aw2 have their own problems. Contrast suck, everything is baked on consoles just like ND games. You can’t even see the faces in gameplay. I found myself adjusting hdr too many times because some forest levels looked so flat that it ale became a mush of grey.

The clear win this gen is lod and objects geometry. But that doesn’t automatically means games win.

And yes. That ff16 forest is incredible. It’s the 2nd level as adult Clive. It is the best looking forest I’ve ever seen. There are no good lighting conditions. The time of day is baked like these other games and whole forest looks amazing. Even better when you step outside. The highs are so high that I don’t think it should matter that other parts of the game look like ps3 mmo game :p
I posted my impressions here. Snow levels look fine. Cloudy conditions look fine. But most other levels are simply lacking trackside detail that we have now come to expect from Forza Horizon, the Crew and even the GT series. It doesnt look as bad as the Senua screenshot of course, but man some of the cities have really poor LODs and the trees in a lot of track look really really low quality. It gave me a new appreciation for GT Sports actually.

And all i was trying to do with comparisons was to show that the games HAVE indeed started to look way better. I was replying FeelsLikeIm42 who said something along the lines of how games have stagnated. We are constantly improving graphics. I was just trying to point out that even the greatest looking games of their time like infamous, driveclub, uncharted 4, arkham knight and tlou2 have been topped.

rofif

Banned
Perhaps. But thats the point i was trying to make. We nitpick current gen games, but not last gen titles. When Arkham knight came out, we all agreed it was the best looking game at the time despite the fact that the Order was out and both Order and Ryse were pushing higher fidelity character model and asset quality. It was just understood that Arkham Knight had its strengths and weaknesses, but overall fidelity is what mattered back then.

Now i see people put down these amazing looking games even though they are doing things even TLOU2, THE best looking game of last gen was not doing.

Cory had five years to get his new IP ready for full production. He is not there yet. The SSM team is doing the same thing ND did with TLOU Remake. They have nothing to work on and because they arent greedy cunts who will lay off everyone, they are having people work on a useless DLC. Neil did the same thing after shipping TLOU2. Had nothing lined up for his team then to make matters worse, he pissed off to make his tv show before being called back a year and a half later. Piss poor management by Cory and Neil who are the best directors over at sony.

I posted my impressions here. Snow levels look fine. Cloudy conditions look fine. But most other levels are simply lacking trackside detail that we have now come to expect from Forza Horizon, the Crew and even the GT series. It doesnt look as bad as the Senua screenshot of course, but man some of the cities have really poor LODs and the trees in a lot of track look really really low quality. It gave me a new appreciation for GT Sports actually.

And all i was trying to do with comparisons was to show that the games HAVE indeed started to look way better. I was replying FeelsLikeIm42 who said something along the lines of how games have stagnated. We are constantly improving graphics. I was just trying to point out that even the greatest looking games of their time like infamous, driveclub, uncharted 4, arkham knight and tlou2 have been topped.
Yeah I can understand that. hopefully ps5/next gen (this gen) games are finally beating these older games.
Driveclub was always a fringe example as it's so aliased in reality.. but it's great looking in principle. Kinda "what could've been".
Uncharted 4 was clearly beaten in LOD and textures quality category. But as a whole, it is still remarkable acheivement. I honestly think it might even look almost as good as tlou2 in some spots. I still replay this game.
TLOU2 also shows poor lod density and distance compared to this gen games. but it holds up it's own.

AW2 looks downright real life like at first glance even on ps5 until you look at it a bit longer, then it breaks up. But the pc version is somethin we can probably expect either next gen on consoles or late this gen from ND.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You are mistaking color transfer for stupid "bullshot" accusation. If you go and play for yourself you will see that the real time cinematic looks exactly like the developer screenshot. Even more so in vivid tv mode as @Represent correctly predicted. The PS5 capture excessively removes color data away from the captures. Again you can test for yourself but whether or not you're truthful or will own up to your mistake is another matter entirely.

Compare my PS5 capture screenshot vs off screen video you can see color data is missing in the direct capture.

B6R8j3b.jpg

Vs. "Bullshot/CG" claim

fqX887D.jpg

GymWolf

Gold Member
God tier.

Animation man. Makes all the difference. ND makes everyone else look amateurish. Its why TLOU 2 and Part 1 will look good in motion 5 years from now.

Im supposed to think RE4 and Dead Space surpassed this?

JqYWMbV.gif

Look at this womans eyes in GAMEPLAY as she gets stabbed. Look at the way her body just folds as she dies. No other game is doing this, not this gen, not last gen.
ND gave us cutscene quality death animations in fucking gameplay.
You should play rdr2, it's the only game that is close to tlou2 in terms of animations, and beats tlou2 for some things because of the euphoria engine.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You are mistaking color transfer for stupid "bullshot" accusation. If you go and play for yourself you will see that the real time cinematic looks exactly like the developer screenshot. Even more so in vivid tv mode as @Represent correctly predicted. The PS5 capture excessively removes color data away from the captures. Again you can test for yourself but whether or not you're truthful or will own up to your mistake is another matter entirely.

Compare my PS5 capture screenshot vs off screen video you can see color data is missing in the direct capture.

B6R8j3b.jpg

Vs. "Bullshot/CG" claim

fqX887D.jpg

The bottom one looks, so, so much better lighting wise. Thanks for posting this.

You should play rdr2, it's the only game that is close to tlou2 in terms of animations, and beats tlou2 for some things because of the euphoria engine.

I need to re-install this game pronto. I haven't properly played it since the release on One X.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
SlimySnake SlimySnake To add to what I've said in asnwer to your post above.
Uncharted 4 (and some other games we talk about here) are still incredibly effective because of illusion of good graphics they created.
I have plenty of shots, so I hope you don't mind me sharing.

I think I know what's going on. Games are finally starting to look and doo in real time, what Uncharted 4 have baked in extremely high quality.
Exactly like my shots below. The uncharted 4 bake quality is still higher than real time path tracing we can achieve and certainly got way higher image quality on account that it's not really calculating anything.
The next thing why it's so compelling is because they have a good Gi in levels where you operate a torch or flashlight. Dynamic objects rarely stand out in the scene as compared to other baked in games.
Again - I've not captured many shots of that but the distant geometry and foliage is the worst thing that doesn't stand up a test of time.
So yeah - if games start doing this shit in real time this gen, maybe next gen it will reach this image quality at it too.

iEfqTSo.jpg

FFvUj30.jpg

yqEgouY.jpg

GUnRvdR.jpeg

PAAJfvg.jpeg

ON3Szn1.jpeg

3BLyfAt.jpeg

SlimySnake

The game may show its age damn near 4 years later, but lets stop pretending this game wasn't a graphical masterpiece and the absolute benchmark (for all platforms) on release
But no one is doing that. We literally said that TLOU2 was the benchmark last gen and used that to show Alan Wake 2 looks next gen. If anything, we are paying it a compliment.

Also, back then we didnt care if the character models werent up to snuff during gameplay. We agreed that it was the best looking game on consoles despite its shortcomings. now Alan Wake 2's stunning lighting, and asset quality is being dismissed because the character models dont look too hot. No wonder you are going to invite comparisons to ND's character models which are weaker.
Look at them damn eyes. In every fucking photo. I await the day this games facial animations are topped. Or even equalled. Nothing touches it

The way the faces actually ANIMATE. While talking, and emoting. Its all in the eyes. Not even AW2 is on this level when it comes to facial animations in cutscenes.

And for that reason alone, I cant call it a lazy remake. How can the game with the greatest facial animations in the history of the medium be lazy? I dont care if thats where they spent all their time. Shit was worth it. Its not like other games have had groundbreaking new game design since TLOU came out. Shit has been stagnant as fuck in that department
This is why every time i talk about this game, i make sure to mention the cutscenes look a generation ahead and that they were done by Naughty Dog while the base game was done by someone else.

Hell, i even said that ND's character model animations are better than Alan Wake 2. But that doesnt mean the remake isnt lazy from a gameplay perspective. they changed NOTHING. look at dead space and Re remakes. New scenarios, new bosses, new weapons. these guys didnt even put in the effort to port over dodge, prone and melee animations because they wouldve had to re-record them for Joel/troy baker and troy baker was not involved in the remake at all. none of the gameplay scenarios were changed. it feels lazy because they changed absolutely nothing other than cutscene character models and facial animations.
No this is what the actual game looks like.
Absent is all those dozens of added EXPENSIVE shadow casting lights.
Replacing the 512 to 1k textures with 4k cloth, face, eyes, skin, props textures.
Using cinematic lighting and shading settings.
And just to point out, cinematic settings IS NOT cut-scene.
Cut-scenes run on the actual settings of the game which are most times low/medium depending on the console game.
Unreal Engine for example has low, medium, high, epic (ultra) and then cinematic.

So no, calling this "in-engine real-time cutscene" would waive away all the huge texture, lighting and material changes that been done just to prepare this one single frame.

Its not a cutscene, its simple a picture for a portfolio piece that's done ALL the time.
You either use solo of your character or you use a cutscene shot of your character within a scene.

screenshot2023-11-041nzeok.png

The term "CG" simply indicates its not real-time or not intended for real-time.
Notice I didn't say it "looks CG" but that IT IS CG!
Jesus Christ, I cant believe all this nonsense started over an artist's portfolio pic.

Honestly, it doesnt matter if its ingame or not because tlou remake's cutscenes have all kind of expensive point lighting and shadows in its REALTIME cutscenes that is completely absent from the actual game. Their cutscenes fidelity is literally a generation ahead of their ingame fidelity and that is the main issue. They might as well be CG even if they are technically rendering them in real time.

Horizon doesnt have this issue. Ratchet didnt have this issue. Spiderman, Alan Wake 2, FF16, god of war, they keep fidelity similar even if they arent using hero lighting like horizon. To me, we should be discussing that instead of doing a gotcha over an artistic portfolio and turning this thread into a shitfest.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Jesus Christ, I cant believe all this nonsense started over an artist's portfolio pic.

Honestly, it doesnt matter if its ingame or not because tlou remake's cutscenes have all kind of expensive point lighting and shadows in its REALTIME cutscenes that is completely absent from the actual game. Their cutscenes fidelity is literally a generation ahead of their ingame fidelity and that is the main issue. They might as well be CG even if they are technically rendering them in real time.

Horizon doesnt have this issue. Ratchet didnt have this issue. Spiderman, Alan Wake 2, FF16, god of war, they keep fidelity similar even if they arent using hero lighting like horizon. To me, we should be discussing that instead of doing a gotcha over an artistic portfolio and turning this thread into a shitfest.

You're absolutely right but at the same time some individuals were dissmising Alan's Wake real-time in-gameplay character model and started posting in-cinematic shots from TLOU to prove some kind of point. That's just stupid. Cinematics and gameplay are 2 different realities in that game.

Yes, we all know how amazing cinematics in TLOU are. A lot of wonderful screenshots were posted over the last couple of pages. There's no need to include portfolio nonsense that can't eveb be matched 1:1 in the final game. It's adds nothing.

rofif

Banned

B6R8j3b.jpg

Vs. "Bullshot/CG" claim

fqX887D.jpg

Not adding grease to fire but this is exactly how ps5 captures HDR screenshots. It compresses to 300kb jpg and converts to sdr. It still looks good. Way better than hdr to sdr conversion done by steam for example.
But it's the reason why I post pictures of my tv when I show forspoken shots. That game looks black and white on screenshots lol
btw - Playing in SDR ,the screenshot would look better than HDR to SDR shots.
Anyway: HDR screenshots (converted by ps5) vs playing actually on oled hdr

OK this first one is a bit overexposed but still:
kWJc4Fr.jpg

IPF2Gwb.jpg

In horizon, you can see how much more DETAIL HDR actually reveals in the picture. amazing.
XzSibtx.jpg

Jg0KjOY.jpg

And obligatory Forspoken because I have to.
9YAenUD.jpg

9KISx2W.jpg

My tv is also set to warm50 (close to d65) and game optimizer mode which is most accurate. all AI crap disabled. I was playing those games with Dynamic Tone Mapping HDR but it could be HGIG. I cant remember

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Uncharted 4 (and some other games we talk about here) are still incredibly effective because of illusion of good graphics they created.

I think I know what's going on. Games are finally starting to look and doo in real time, what Uncharted 4 have baked in extremely high quality.
Exactly like my shots below. The uncharted 4 bake quality is still higher than real time path tracing we can achieve and certainly got way higher image quality on account that it's not really calculating anything.
The next thing why it's so compelling is because they have a good Gi in levels where you operate a torch or flashlight. Dynamic objects rarely stand out in the scene as compared to other baked in games.
Again - I've not captured many shots of that but the distant geometry and foliage is the worst thing that doesn't stand up a test of time.
So yeah - if games start doing this shit in real time this gen, maybe next gen it will reach this image quality at it too.

iEfqTSo.jpg

FFvUj30.jpg

yqEgouY.jpg

GUnRvdR.jpeg

PAAJfvg.jpeg

ON3Szn1.jpeg

3BLyfAt.jpeg
I think those indoor beach house and drake's apartment pics are just godly and still look absolutely mindblowing, but sadly the rest of the game's interiors didnt come close to that. my guess is that the artists went ham in those interiors because they are the tiny levels with most of the rendering budget went into lighting. whereas uncharted 4 is a much bigger game with literally open world levels far bigger than anything we got in uncharted 1-3 or even tlou 1.

What we should start getting this gen is that level of fidelity across the board. I see that in some of alan wake 2's interiors like the diner level which is part of the much larger town area. Id rather we dont go with rtgi or even lumen because baked lighting in AW2 is just fine. I am watching Alex jizz all over the path tracing right now and im like really? its such a miniscule difference and im sacrificing 40 out of 60 fps frames for this?

this is what the Avatar technical director said a couple of years ago about rtgi vs baked gi. he himself agreed that most people cant/wont notice the difference.

He ended up implementing Rtgi even on consoles so he must have had his reasons, but i have seen enough of pt to know that baked GI is just fine for games like Alan Wake 2 and uncharted 4.

Uncharted 4 also disappointed me when i went back to it and played the open world levels like madacasgar. fantastic art style but i couldnt help but compare it to rdr2, hfw and other games, and I was like yeah, its been surpassed. Again, i only compared because i myself was viewing uncharted 4 wtih rose tinted glasses building up this unrealistic image of the game in my head. i give horizon and ratchet a very hard time but they outclass uncharted 4 in almost every way. save for those few rooms in the beach house.

that said, i believe i said this last night, but because of its art style, uncharted 4 will never look ugly. dated, yeah, but its a very pretty game that will continue to look pretty. tlou part 1 though, man that game goes out of its way to look ugly. it has some pretty levels but most of the time you are scrummaging through 25 year old buildings and it just looks fugly. uncharted looks pretty even when you get to the lost pirate island and explore 300 year old buildings.

rofif

Banned
I think those indoor beach house and drake's apartment pics are just godly and still look absolutely mindblowing, but sadly the rest of the game's interiors didnt come close to that. my guess is that the artists went ham in those interiors because they are the tiny levels with most of the rendering budget went into lighting. whereas uncharted 4 is a much bigger game with literally open world levels far bigger than anything we got in uncharted 1-3 or even tlou 1.

What we should start getting this gen is that level of fidelity across the board. I see that in some of alan wake 2's interiors like the diner level which is part of the much larger town area. Id rather we dont go with rtgi or even lumen because baked lighting in AW2 is just fine. I am watching Alex jizz all over the path tracing right now and im like really? its such a miniscule difference and im sacrificing 40 out of 60 fps frames for this?

this is what the Avatar technical director said a couple of years ago about rtgi vs baked gi. he himself agreed that most people cant/wont notice the difference.

He ended up implementing Rtgi even on consoles so he must have had his reasons, but i have seen enough of pt to know that baked GI is just fine for games like Alan Wake 2 and uncharted 4.

Uncharted 4 also disappointed me when i went back to it and played the open world levels like madacasgar. fantastic art style but i couldnt help but compare it to rdr2, hfw and other games, and I was like yeah, its been surpassed. Again, i only compared because i myself was viewing uncharted 4 wtih rose tinted glasses building up this unrealistic image of the game in my head. i give horizon and ratchet a very hard time but they outclass uncharted 4 in almost every way. save for those few rooms in the beach house.

that said, i believe i said this last night, but because of its art style, uncharted 4 will never look ugly. dated, yeah, but its a very pretty game that will continue to look pretty. tlou part 1 though, man that game goes out of its way to look ugly. it has some pretty levels but most of the time you are scrummaging through 25 year old buildings and it just looks fugly. uncharted looks pretty even when you get to the lost pirate island and explore 300 year old buildings.

oh yeah. The house at the beginning and the end look probably the best in the game.
They probably wanted to start and end on good impression.
The pirate stuff also looks amazing but almost nothing interior reaches this quality.,

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The bottom one looks, so, so much better. Thanks for posting this.

Lol OK. So you decided to be stubborn.
Not adding grease to fire but this is exactly how ps5 captures HDR screenshots. It compresses to 300kb jpg and converts to sdr. It still looks good. Way better than hdr to sdr conversion done by steam for example.
But it's the reason why I post pictures of my tv when I show forspoken shots. That game looks black and white on screenshots lol

kWJc4Fr.jpg

IPF2Gwb.jpg

In horizon, you can see how much more DETAIL HDR actually reveals in the picture. amazing.
XzSibtx.jpg

Jg0KjOY.jpg

9YAenUD.jpg

9KISx2W.jpg

Yeah I didn't realize just how bad this issue is/was until now so regardless however heated this conversation was, it has provided very valuable info.

Now I am much more willing to forgive people who don't acknowledge the visual splendor that is SM2😂

SlimySnake

kWJc4Fr.jpg

IPF2Gwb.jpg

XzSibtx.jpg

Jg0KjOY.jpg

9YAenUD.jpg

9KISx2W.jpg

My tv is also set to warm50 (close to d65) and game optimizer mode which is most accurate. all AI crap disabled. I was playing those games with Dynamic Tone Mapping HDR but it could be HGIG. I cant remember
Dude, this explains so much. I was just arguing that gifs do not convey what im seeing on my screen just the other day. Even the videos. if i capture videos in HDR and see them in hdr on youtube, they look like they lose all the detail. its extremely frustrating because we literally cant trust our eyes anymore.

That FF16 level looks godly on my tv. just wonderful colors. i uploaded it on youtube and its a smudgy mess with hdr completely blowing out all the detail. But if i say it looks better than TLOU2 and post that video is proof, i get laughed at and rightfully so because youtube and ps5 have completely destroyed the picture quality and colors.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Lol OK. So you decided to be stubborn.

Man, if you can't replicate exactly 1:1, the shot from that artist's portfolio then nobody can. You know why? Because hers was not taken from in-game, running on PS5. That's why. But yeah, thanks for trying, appreciate that.

rofif

Banned
Dude, this explains so much. I was just arguing that gifs do not convey what im seeing on my screen just the other day. Even the videos. if i capture videos in HDR and see them in hdr on youtube, they look like they lose all the detail. its extremely frustrating because we literally cant trust our eyes anymore.

That FF16 level looks godly on my tv. just wonderful colors. i uploaded it on youtube and its a smudgy mess with hdr completely blowing out all the detail. But if i say it looks better than TLOU2 and post that video is proof, i get laughed at and rightfully so because youtube and ps5 have completely destroyed the picture quality and colors.
haha yeah. Funny thing is I only played tlou on 1080p ips lcd when it came out.... I am yet to paly it on oled with HDR, 1440p(like ps4 pro bc) and 60fps.
As for ff16. My fav shot. I remember sending this pic to my friend "are you fucking kidding me with those graphics"
San6eJ2.jpg

M1987

The outdoor world in the daytime on Robocop has the best looking graphics I have ever seen,shit looks real at times

Last edited:
SlimySnake SlimySnake

Regarding your previous thought, I think we’re taking our eye off the ball here a bit with this thread. Missing the point. Losing the plot. It’s not about whether the last gen graphical beasts were PERFECT renderings at all times. It’s about them still looking good today. Still trading blows with and in some ways surpassing current gen games. (We all know SM2 character models are worse than say Order 1886)

I think what you’ll find is all these games you named that you nitpicked and found issues with, Batman, Uncharted, driveclub, infamous and some others you named i don’t remember them all, is that they took a shit on any PS3 game ever released. There was no ambiguity. No argument about that. Current games aren’t taking a shit on these PS4 games yet. And it’s not “oh! Graphics have plateaued!” NO. That’s complete bullshit because we have not one but 2 examples of tech running REAL TIME on ps5 (matrix, valley of the ancient) that do take a shit on any ps4 game ever released and do showcase a generational leap. It’s just it’s harder to do that now so SSM, Insomniac, GG and all these devs out here would rather toil in last gen tech and sell millions off brand recognition then try to excel visually. They’d rather favor performance mode and appease game journalists than try to deliver a true next gen leap

The room for improvement is there. Take driveclub, or Arkham knight, or RDR2, or days gone. These looks like shit compared to like love death robots, or the new planet of the apes movies, or the blur studios cgi Batman trailers. These a huuuuuuuge gulf between point a and b and these devs aren’t even trying to deliver. That’s the conversation here I think

Last edited:

ckstine

or this:

or this:

At all times, tbh. Although I will agree that tlou2 has fucking great animation. In terms of environment realism, alan wake 2 is and will be the best for a long time mefinks.

Msamy

or this:

or this:

dx7yW90.jpg
qe24Ffi.jpg
PvXDw2Q.jpg
TdkF2vT.jpg
gT2H5ox.jpg
r0c46aS.jpg
X13uzAD.jpg
TwYLNzf.jpg

ckstine

iEfqTSo.jpg

FFvUj30.jpg

yqEgouY.jpg

GUnRvdR.jpeg

PAAJfvg.jpeg

ON3Szn1.jpeg

3BLyfAt.jpeg
not higher quality at all. I had a similar thought earlier, but after some careful looking, and also having a brain, I was able to deduce that that's not true. regardless, alan wake is pre-baked, and then path traced, so the resolve and final quality shits all over unchy

ckstine

It is pretty cool, right?

Fa0iCij.jpg

i5pnyBO.jpg

9K0csQp.jpg
almost AW2 level. Reflections + GI + Foliage + General Asset Quality just aren't quite there. And some interiors look fucking awful. Fog effects look nice. Seriously, though, Lumen and middle quality pre-baking just isn't enough to be convincing. Overall, really impressive, and for an aa game, it's goddamn incredible. Once devs figure out how to shake the "unreal engine look" I think that we'll start seeing some crazy shit. I stand by it being better than unrecord, though. Unrecord isn't pretty.

Top Bottom