• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Again, nothing you're sharing here is particularly impressive or revelatory.

TLOU (or any not-RT) game is just not accomplishing anything like what AW is accomplishing as far as lighting/shadows/reflections go:

53309321389_1f979dd5fd_o.png

53309213093_41abf6216d_o.png
In all fairness the non Raytraced Alan Wake has superior lighting to TLOU2/TLOU Remake during gameplay.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Your videos literally prove my point. The screen is not CG. Lmfao.

ND doesnt even use CG, what are you even talking about? Lol

It’s not rendered on a real PS5. That’s what we mean. Lighting is vastly superior in shots posted by that artist. It’s not how it looks in the final game.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Don't go full retard. They added an additional light source for the purpose of highlighting their work. It is still being rendered on a PS5. If you see how the entire scene is, you wouldn't want the in game shot to have those additional light sources because it wouldn't make sense for the scene.

Adding and additional light source doesn't equate to the frame having to be rendered via 100x more capable hardware. At least now I understand where the source of these silly takes stem from.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Don't go full retard. They added an additional light source for the purpose of highlighting their work. It is still being rendered on a PS5. If you see how the entire scene is, you wouldn't want the in game shot to have those additional light sources because it wouldn't make sense for the scene.

Adding and additional light source doesn't equate to the frame having to be rendered via 100x more capable hardware. At least now I understand where the source of these silly takes stem from.

You were just arguing that it was 100% from the game? Why a sudden change of heart? 🤡🤡🤡

These shots are clearly touched up and not taken directly from the final game.

Next.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Of course, is anyone really questioning it?

TLOU is king of two things:

1) character models in cinematics (really guys, you don’t have to post bullshots to prove it)

2) animations

And again, I’m not arguing the quality of the characters in the game, the above is my opinion.

I’m just arguing you retards using bullshots and trying to present is as final game, photomode as gameplay etc., etc.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
BECAUSE THEY ARE FROM THE GAME RUNNING ON PS5 DUMBASS!!!!

YOU SAID THEY WERE CG DUMBASS!!! Now you're saying they're touched up. See the difference???

Everything is computer generated, genius. Clearly these were not generated using final code of the game as it runs on PS5. In other words: bullshots.

setoman

It aint CG, its an in-engine real time cutscene
No this is what the actual game looks like.
Absent is all those dozens of added EXPENSIVE shadow casting lights.
Replacing the 512 to 1k textures with 4k cloth, face, eyes, skin, props textures.
Using cinematic lighting and shading settings.
And just to point out, cinematic settings IS NOT cut-scene.
Cut-scenes run on the actual settings of the game which are most times low/medium depending on the console game.
Unreal Engine for example has low, medium, high, epic (ultra) and then cinematic.

So no, calling this "in-engine real-time cutscene" would waive away all the huge texture, lighting and material changes that been done just to prepare this one single frame.

Its not a cutscene, its simple a picture for a portfolio piece that's done ALL the time.
You either use solo of your character or you use a cutscene shot of your character within a scene.

screenshot2023-11-041nzeok.png

Lol the best proof that TLOU Pt.1 is next gen and amazing looking.
The term "CG" simply indicates its not real-time or not intended for real-time.
Notice I didn't say it "looks CG" but that IT IS CG!

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Replacing the 512 to 1k textures with 4k cloth, face, eyes, skin, props textures.
Cut-scenes run on the actual settings of the game which are most times low/medium depending on the console game.
Unreal Engine for example has low, medium, high, epic (ultra) and then cinematic.

So no, calling this "in-engine real-time cutscene" would waive away all the huge texture, lighting and material changes that been done just to prepare this one single frame.

Its not a cutscene, its simple a picture for a portfolio piece that's done ALL the time.
You either use solo of your character or you use a cutscene shot of your character within a scene.

It's not worth it, man.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Your screenshot is a freaking screenshot from a crap ass Youtube video. Its compressed to hell. Therefore its missing a SHITLOAD of details. Get real.

Go play the game on an OLED, on Vivid mode, not that atrocity "game mode" that mutes all colors and contrast in the game and tell me it looks like your youtube screen capture.

52374374578_258728f838_o.png

This scene from that same shitty, dark ass Youtube video MidGen posted also looks like trash. Or is this CG too? lmao

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Again, nothing you're sharing here is particularly impressive or revelatory.

TLOU (or any not-RT) game is just not accomplishing anything like what AW is accomplishing as far as lighting/shadows/reflections go:

53309321389_1f979dd5fd_o.png

53309213093_41abf6216d_o.png
There is 0 reason that shadow couldn't be baked in since that curtain is still.
Same with car reflection. Could've been a cube map.

I don't really see what AW2 is accomplishing really? They are just throwing Path Tracing at toughest problems without proper good looking raster fallbacks.
And somehow a game like tlou part1 with tons of work and ideas put to make it look so good without any RT is less impressive?
That's brute forcing vs tons of genius tricks. Exactly like something pc game would do

setoman

In game. Your screenshot is just a shitty youtube video that was poorly compressed.

Dude I don't even know if you are being serious right now.
None of the shots she posted are "in-game". Calling those "in game" is like calling these "in-game".

poorly compressed? Dude she even posted a comparison between PS4/PS5 of that very scene.

colleen-peck-larson-riley-modelviewer-hex-02-small.jpg

ChiefDada

Gold Member

So something that is CG won't necessarily look CG? Asking you to explain such idiotic logic would be like asking you to walk on water.

If something is CG it will ALWAYS "look" CG. Any silly preconceived notion you may have for what CG should look like is meaningless.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So something that is CG won't necessarily look CG? Asking you to explain such idiotic logic would be like asking you to walk on water.

If something is CG it will ALWAYS "look" CG. Any silly preconceived notion you may have for what CG should look like is meaningless.

Dude, take the L and move on.

None of the shots she posted are "in-game". Calling those "in game" is like calling these "in-game".

poorly compressed? Dude she even posted a comparison between PS4/PS5 of that very scene.

Insane talent to be honest. Character models are on point. Nobody would ever mistake it for a real person but artistically these are beautiful.

setoman

As I already pointed out, additional shadow casted lights ARE SUPER EXPENSIVE (without even adding the changes in texture and lighting and material quality).
Its the difference between locked 30fps vs 3fps.
You people clearly have ZERO idea how video game development works.

Lastly No its not rendered on the PS5, hate to break it to you but games and that includes ALL games.
Are developed ON THE PC. All shots are coming from the PC unless its a direct official marketing shot (Even those are sometimes PC shots as we have seen over the years).

Super edited portfolio shots from artists? 100000000000000000000000000 Trillion % taken on the PC.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
There is 0 reason that shadow couldn't be baked in since that curtain is still.

Time of day is changing between segments, baking shadows in textures = separate texture for each time of day. An NPC can pass by, your character can cash shadow, etc. You can use your flashlight at any point.

I get your point but it's not like the game is static and nothing is going on.

rofif

Banned

wtf are you doing man. stop
Represent. Represent. ChiefDada ChiefDada I don't know what's happening in this thread anymore man. Maybe it's time we leave.
People are falling over Alan Wake just brute forcing graphics with Path Tracing while true state of the art games with amazing mix of techniques and ideas are called last gen. Sure, let's brute force all out graphics on 4090 next.
Seriously. This is how tlou part1 looks on a freaking ps5. The same ps5 that Alan Wake2 struggles to run at 30fps, has worst image quality, shadows, ssr and grain this gen.
BUT IT'S SO AMAZING BECAUSE WE CAN FORCE PATH TRACING ON A GOOD PC wow such tech.
The screenshots I posted were from my game playing on my ps5 in real time. Not any portfolios or renders.

oV1bjT9.jpg

This one is in-game. Just enabled photo mode to remove character. It's not even a shot from cutscene. And I only played it for an hour... I will have more shots when I finally play it.
And that game got 40fps mode and 60 and even unlocked performance mode that's close to 90fps.
C2HonbL.jpg

WQDtUnC.jpg

And sure, it's baked but the effect is still amazing and specularity moves with the camera. Lighting on your character changes naturaly. It's not just static static.

And here is me placing red floodlight in the scene with photo mode. They don't just have some dumb bake. There is some soft of software gi at play too
TeFlpku.jpg

Didn't the original TLOU use pre-rendered cutscenes until Naughty Dog started using real-time cutscenes in their next game?

rofif

Banned
If you're planning on continuing posting artist renders and pretending that they are representative of the final game?

denzel-washington-door.gif

TLOU cinematics look amazing as they are. There's no reason for that. It brings the conversation down.
what artists renders. it's real time graphics. half of the shots Iv;e posted on this and last page are not even from a cutscene (which are real time. You can change parameters when you pause)
I don't know who is trolling anymore.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
what artists renders. it's real time graphics. half of the shots Iv;e posted on this and last page are not even from a cutscene (which are real time. You can change parameters when you pause)
I don't know who is trolling anymore.

Maybe read the previous page to know what's up? Dude, you're slacking.

Edit: start from post #14,831

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I did. he posted one shot that was from an ad. big wow since it looks like that in game...

It doesn't and it was proven. Seriously, there's no need for that. Like we've said: game looks amazing as it is. No need to post bullshot renders from artist portfolio that look nowhere close to how the game actually is.

And if you don't see a problem with that, then to answer your previous question: YES

rofif

Banned
It doesn't and it was proven. Seriously, there's no need for that. Like we've said: game looks amazing as it is. No need to post bullshot renders from artist portfolio that look nowhere close to how the game actually is.

And if you don't see a problem with that, then to answer your previous question: YES

it does and I've proven it by posting my screenshots which are not from any artist portfolio.
I don't know about the dlc shots but i have shots from main game.
Look at my post on this and last page with shots... oh such a poor fake ads/art portfolio.
You must feel really cool posting gif of that door over and over again

and then you post a fucking mushy jpg from yt video thinking you've proven anything. you are a fraud. Launch the game, play it in quality mode and then take a screenshot.
and you totally ignore all the other amazing shots that I and Represent. Represent. posted.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
it does and I've proven it by posting my screenshots which are not from any artist portfolio.
I don't know about the dlc shots but i have shots from main game.
Look at my post on this and last page with shots... oh such a poor fake ads/art portfolio.
You must feel really cool posting gif of that door over and over again

and then you post a fucking mushy jpg from yt video thinking you've proven anything. you are a fraud. Launch the game, play it in quality mode and then take a screenshot.
and you totally ignore all the other amazing shots that I and Represent. Represent. posted.

I've posted 3 different YouTube sources. Not a single JPG.

I'm not gonna play Left Behind for 1 hour just so I can take a screenshot. Here's the clip posted by the artist herself, I'm sorry but you have to take her word:

https://cdn.artstation.com/p/video_...nd-ellie-riley-in-the-arcade-comparison-1.mp4

You're a waste of time.

rofif

Banned
I've posted 3 different YouTube sources. Not a single JPG.

I'm not gonna play Left Behind for 1 hour just so I can take a screenshot. Here's the clip posted by the artist herself, I'm sorry but you have to take her word:

https://cdn.artstation.com/p/video_...nd-ellie-riley-in-the-arcade-comparison-1.mp4

You're a waste of time.
I am not accepting that. YT vids are compressed. That vid is compressed, your shots are therefore also compressed.
You are wasting you time indeed by being a fool.
Either play the game and post a screenshot or shut up.
And posting a yt vid isn't proving your point either. It still looks great in that video. Just compressed/lack of some detail.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I am not accepting that. YT vids are compressed. That vid is compressed, your shots are therefore also compressed.
You are wasting you time indeed by being a fool.
Either play the game and post a screenshot or shut up.
And posting a yt vid isn't proving your point either. It still looks great in that video. Just compressed/lack of some detail.

No, I'm wasting my time on a fool. That's a difference. YouTube compression is removing lighting, that's new. If you like the game so much and want to prove your (non-existing) point, go and play it. We'll wait for these juicy screenshots.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I've played the game and posted ton of shots on this and last page.
Look it up. I even commented on each shot. These are my shots.

That game = Forspoken.

Listen dude, we all agree that cinematics in TLOU games are second to none. We're just arguing about principle of using bullshots and trying to pass them as in-game footage as experienced in the final game.

No you wont. Because when I post this, you ignore it and post another stupid compressed Youtube video

This is what the game looks like when playing on a TV.

Not your trash compressed videos. Facts

Does the game looks like this (posted by you, of course):

Fe4g8X1UAAEf9SZ

Duplicate this shot in the game, then we'll talk.

rofif

Banned
That game = Forspoken.

Listen dude, we all agree that cinematics in TLOU games are second to none. We're just arguing about principle of using bullshots and trying to pass them as in-game footage as experienced in the final game.

Fe4g8X1UAAEf9SZ

His shot looks better.
Besides, you derailed the argument....

No you wont. Because when I post this, you ignore it and post another stupid compressed Youtube video

This is what the game looks like when playing on a TV.

Not your trash compressed videos. Facts
Not wanting to get involved in this argument but is this a shot of a cutscene using photo mode? If it is does the game improve the image in photo mode?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
That game = Forspoken.

Fe4g8X1UAAEf9SZ

Yes. Play it on Vivid mode, it looks the exacts same.

rofif

Banned
Not wanting to get involved in this argument but is this a shot of a cutscene using photo mode? If it is does the game improve the image in photo mode?
I don't think so. I posted few shots above.
Photo mode obviously stabilizes temporal aa a bit but I am not sure if it improves other stuff.
And quality mode is close to 4k anyway.

rofif

Banned
No I didn't you absolute spoon. The argument was and is: don't use artist renders and try to pass them as final game footage. That's it.

His shot looks amazing, that's not the point.

Prove it.
The shot you and him are posting are not from the same scene and frame in the game.
Besides - since when this argument is about comparing artist portfolio to game screenshot.

Top Bottom