• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grubb: Xbox Showcase (+Cod Direct) 2hrs Long - Featuring 30 Games - Handful Never Heard/Seen Before

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Come One Lets Go GIF by Arch Telecom

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If there’s one thing Grubb needs to be right about, it’s this. Even if it’s a remake of the original PD I want to see it.

I doubt there are many CG trailers, hasn’t been many since maybe 2020?

Yes, I don't think they've done a purely CG announcement trailer since that 2020 (or was it 2021?) where they showed all those games like State of Decay 3 etc.

They got rightful shit for that.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Can’t be worse than that shit show we saw last week. Maybe Sony knew Xbox would bring the games, and hope for ports later?

Ozriel

M$FT
Adding in the Call of Duty reveal to the show may well be the smartest bit of marketing Xbox has done in a while.

Viewer counts for this showcase should likely be visibly higher than last year’s.

If they’re smart they’ll sandwich the reveal in the middle.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
2 hours of trailers and promos would be deadening. The reality is that there probably isn't enough variety in high-end product to squeeze an hour out without repetition setting in.

Ozriel

M$FT
Nah, just judging by the last 5 to 10 years of these shows it's true. The vast majority will be overhyped and then sell less than 3 million copies because they're irrelevant to the market. We're in a new era and 30 games aint the strategy.

In the last 5 to 10 years, most GaaS games have ended in abject failure. But that certainly hasn’t stopped you from cheering live service games on.
most of the games that are most likely to show up at the showcase certainly don’t strike me as ‘forgetful filler’.

I don’t judge games I play by their ‘relevance to the market’…but to each their own.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
In the last 5 to 10 years, most GaaS games have ended in abject failure.
An irrelavent Live Service game is and irrelavent game. I don't discriminate between multiplayer and single player like some of ya'll.
But that certainly hasn’t stopped you from cheering live service games on.
most of the games that are most likely to show up at the showcase certainly don’t strike me as ‘forgetful filler’.
Induviduals can like or dislike anything. I'm talking about the wider market. Go look at the showcases from a few years ago now that the honeymoon phase has worn off those titles. It's mostly garbage filler. This show will be no different.
I don’t judge games I play by their ‘relevance to the market’…but to each their own.
I judge games using a multifaceted approach to understand the market on a deeper level.

Cool I guess. I just don't get hyped for these shows anymore especially from Xbox. Their quality is garbage and I've just lost all faith in them to deliver at this point. So I'd rather have no hope in them delivering anything of quality and then be pleasantly surprised if they actually deliver when the game comes out.

Matsuchezz

- Tools are ready
- Major acquisitions have happened
- This year's bangers have been released and bigger and better games are in the making
- Phil stopped lying on Mondays
- New and unannounced games ooze quality according to Phil and his fuck buddy Aaron Greenberg
- Ryan Mccafrey has resigned that Xbox leadship sucks!
- Only the most hardcore xbox fans are hopeful that this is the decade of xbox.

That being said. I think we will witness a great show.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sure it can, they won’t likely have anything near AstroBot quality

They will need PD, Gears, and Fable updates that look tangible and good to have a competitive show

Let's not act like astro bot is some 90s scoring game normally. It's great fun and very good but it's a solid 8.5 for me. It's not mario levels of amazing.

Saying that, maybe this is to that kind of quality. We will have to see.

A good fable game is an 8.5 and easily as hypable as astro bot on its own.

Let's not act like astro bot is some 90s scoring game normally. It's great fun and very good but it's a solid 8.5 for me. It's not mario levels of amazing.

Saying that, maybe this is to that kind of quality. We will have to see.

A good fable game is an 8.5 and easily as hypable as astro bot on its own.

It’s better than any Mario game released since Galaxy and the VR game is the best platformer since Mario 64

It will be a 90+ GOTY contender. Its the biggest game they’ve ever made

A good fable game is not close to guaranteed like Astro’s quality is

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don’t think you’ve played the VR game at all so you’re in no position to talk about what this series can be when it’s not a demo

I've completed the vr game..it's brilliant. This game isn't in vr....

Look, I'm not going to argue about astro bot as I genuinely love it and think it's a really great game. It's not on mario level for me personally but I could see how some people could think it's incredible so I'm not going to argue.

Rescue mission is the sole reason I still own my psvr 1

Fable 2 was also that for me and my Mrs. As fans of Terry Pratchet we adored that game. 3 was average at best. If they made an awsome fable it could easily be the quality of an astro bot in it's unique genre.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Sure it can, they won’t likely have anything near AstroBot quality

They will need PD, Gears, and Fable updates that look tangible and good to have a competitive show
Yeah, that one game doesn’t keep the show from being absolute dog shit. AstroBot is my most anticipated game for all platforms, but let’s not act like it alone makes up for the pathetic looking 2024-2025 exclusive lineup of PS5.

I think having just a two games worth playing will put it above what we saw last week.

But seriously, your diehard Sony fanboy position is just making you look stupid to the rest of us.

XXL

Are people expecting Clockwork Revolution (or something like that) to be shown?

I'm interested in seeing more of that title.

adamsapple

2 hours of trailers and promos would be deadening. The reality is that there probably isn't enough variety in high-end product to squeeze an hour out without repetition setting in.

It's not going to be 2 hours of trailers, we already know that half the hour is a cod Direct.

Also, you are probably a minority who doesn't want just straight trailers without interruptions or talking heads.

but let’s not act like it alone makes up for the pathetic looking 2024-2025 exclusive lineup of PS5.

what pathetic list of exclusives?

Helldivers 2
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Rise of the Ronin
Stellar Blade
Concord
AstroBot

Microsoft has…a 5 hour walking sim? Maybe Indiana Jones and Avowed if they even end up decent

Sony has 3 games that will make the GOTY lists with HD2, FF7R, and AstroBot

Looks like a great year to me. MS will need to have either Avowed or Indy be really good for their year to not be another miserable one

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
what pathetic list of exclusives?

Helldivers 2
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Rise of the Ronin
Stellar Blade
Concord
AstroBot

Microsoft has…a 5 hour walking sim? Maybe Indiana Jones and Avowed if they even end up decent

Sony has 3 games that will make the GOTY lists with HD2, FF7R, and AstroBot

Looks like a great year to me. MS will need to have either Avowed or Indy be really good for their year to not be another miserable one
I’m sure it does.

I’m not saying Xbox will have a better lineup. It can be as bad as what’s Sony has released or is releasing. Could be worse.

You’re looking at it as a competition. I don’t know why. I think this generation has been a let down because of both consoles and their poor exclusives.

I’m sure it does.

I’m not saying Xbox will have a better lineup. It can be as bad as what’s Sony has released or is releasing. Could be worse.

You’re looking at it as a competition. I don’t know why. I think this generation has been a let down because of both consoles and their poor exclusives.

Releasing 3 GOTY quality titles in a year is bad?

Always the same remarks of false equivalence and arguments that are made in bad faith from you

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
If all those games hit really hard, I can easily give the conference an 8 and if they nail the execution, we'll get to that 9 out of 10
"If games are good, they will be well-received". Come on dude.

adamsapple

"If games are good, they will be well-received". Come on dude.

He's talking about a hypothetical 'conference rating'. We always get polls about every event on GAF once they're finished too.

I feel there's something weird going on. Like it's the sony fans turn to be in the 5 stages of grief after last week's showcase. PC announcements etc.

It's wild.

I firmly believe James has been replaced by an evil doppelganger from the icon-verse. He didn't use to be this negative.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
He's talking about a hypothetical 'conference rating'. We always get polls about every event on GAF once they're finished too.

I firmly believe James has been replaced by an evil doppelganger from the icon-verse. He didn't use to be this negative.

Yup, he's been swapped out. Next he'll be making videos in his laundry room.

My negativity stems from what happened last year with Starfield and this year with Hellblade 2

I am far more skeptical of Microsoft’s marketing promotional materials vs reality as a result

Mr.ODST

MS the only ones who are keeping the E3 "vibe" sort of going I guess, they have at least listened to feedback from people about making better E3 "shows" but remains to see if they start making decent games.

Looking forward to it and Nintendos, Sony's was absolutely awful

adamsapple

:messenger_fire: MORE BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE GAMES :messenger_fire:

(ignore the last line about DA remake, that was already clarified by Schreier as just a title change for Dreadwolf)

intbal intbal

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I want to see quality, not quantity.

MS could literally bring one game if it's good enough.

That's essentially what Nintendo did with breath of the Wild that one year (and I don't even like that game, but the hype about it from e3 was real)

Last edited:
Top Bottom