• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 - Media blow out

The first chapter caused me some consternation, in fact. For the first half or so, it seemed much more linear than I've come to expect from Halo games, and as the opening salvo in 343i's vision of Halo 4, I was concerned. The game has quicktime sequences, a first for the series that I can recall. Granted, they really are quick - not the extended mini-movies of more cinematic action games - but they're there. And the first time I saw one, I wondered what the hell 343i was doing.

Over the course of my 90 minutes or so with Halo 4's campaign, I came around. These moments were joined by other moments, like a climb up a shaft on the Foward Unto Dawn as the ship is torn apart by Requiem's inexorable pull, but they didn't dominate, and they served to move things forward in a more dynamic way than a cutscene or first person segment would have. And they all looked pretty fantastic.

While I was skeptical about it at first, how it's described here warms me up to the idea.

So it's not going to look as good because of a few jaggies which occur on every game?

So when GAF jizzes over Uncharted and Killzone bullshots, that's ok because those games don't have jaggies upon release?

Did he say that? I thought he just said its not going to look as good as the screenshots. And it won't. Still gonna look yummy though. And he's also right when he says direct footage of the game will look quite different from actually playing the game. I don't know the technical side of it, but that's the way its always been with halo. 720p and fxaa and a world class team will undoubtedly minimize that difference to their greatest ability, but I imagine some level of jaggyness will rear its ugly head.

Did he say that? I thought he just said its not going to look as good as the screenshots. And it won't. Still gonna look yummy though. And he's also right when he says direct footage of the game will look quite different from actually playing the game. I don't know the technical side of it, but that's the way its always been with halo. 720p and fxaa and a world class team will undoubtedly minimize that difference to their greatest ability, but I imagine some level of jaggyness will rear its ugly head.

Really? I don't ever remember watching Halo game-play videos online that weren't near identical to what i ended up playing at home. Especially when the Bravo videos for example are taken right off a TV that you clearly see right there. How different can it be?

Really? I don't ever remember watching Halo game-play videos online that weren't near identical to what i ended up playing at home. Especially when the Bravo videos for example are taken right off a TV that you clearly see right there. How different can it be?

All I can tell you is look at some halo 3 youtube videos, then play the game. Stark contrast. Isn't theater mode even supposed to do something with the rendering to make it look sharper?

Im very curious to see this now. You remember any examples?

Not really, and honestly I could be wrong. But I remember following Halo 3 very closely until its release and couldn't believe how jaggy it was in comparison to everything that had been shown. Similar with Reach but not nearly as bad. I want 343i to prove me wrong but thats just how its been in every Halo game thus far. The Halo engine just hasn't been known for its sharpness/textures. But thats fine with me, I'm all about physics which is where it excels. And like I said before, I think a lot of things are pointing towards great improvement.

Waaghals

I'm very negative to any form of QTE.

I feel it is something developers do when the gameplay simply isn't exciting enough for the scene they are trying to make, so they need a quasi-cinematic for the game to look cool.

KageMaru

All I can tell you is look at some halo 3 youtube videos, then play the game. Stark contrast. Isn't theater mode even supposed to do something with the rendering to make it look sharper?

What you're probably referring to is how compression in most online videos, such as a YouTube stream, will help hide aliasing due to the lack of clarity. If you were to download a high quality PR vid, that should be almost exactly what you'll play in terms of IQ.

Also theatre mode improves screenshots but videos are unchanged.

I feel it is something developers do when the gameplay simply isn't exciting enough for the scene they are trying to make, so they need a quasi-cinematic for the game to look cool.

If there are more than 2 qte's in the first 30 minutes of the campaign, I'm switching over to the non-perk perks side of the game.

Gui_PT

I always thought QTE's were events where you had to press a certain button at a certain moment or you'd "lose"

Frankie said that scene is completely playable, as in, you can move freely.

Back me up Frankliez

Woorloog

Banned

Yup. The only games where QTEs work, IMO, are ME2 and 3's interrupts in conversations.
I really hope these moments in Halo 4 are not actual QTEs and that they won't be annoying in future playthroughs, unlike Cortana-moments in Halo 3 or QTEs in other games.

Could latching onto a vehicle and grenading it/punching it in previous Halo games be classed as a QTE?
Nope. That is a voluntary action, and you can either melee or use a grenade, you have choice there. You can also cancel the action. QTEs usually prompt you to do thing X and if you fail, you die or a punished severely, usually.

Falagard

Can anyone clear this up?

1. Have they made it so the flag is undroppable?
2. Have they made it so that walking over the flag automatically picks it up?
3. Have they made it so the oddball can be passed / thrown to another player?

Waaghals

How about the time-limited cinematic Warthog runs?

Well, I rember the ending of CE to be a bit annoying at first, but I got used to it.

There is however one important difference between the Warthog run at the end of CE and a QTE:

QTEs are incredibly simple in terms of gameplay, the game presents you with an instruction (press A) and you press A. If you press B, you lose, do anything else, you lose, do nothing, you lose.

The end run in CE had to be completed in a warthog, as such it was simpler than normal gameplay. It was still FAR more interactive than a QTE.

There were enemies, obstacles, different routes etc. If you flipped the 'hog you'd have to get out and turn it around.

This constitutes an enormous increase in complexity, and in gameplay choice.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Can anyone clear this up?

1. Have they made it so the flag is undroppable?
2. Have they made it so that walking over the flag automatically picks it up?
3. Have they made it so the oddball can be passed / thrown to another player?

Yes for all three, yeah.

Gui_PT

QTEs are incredibly simple in terms of gameplay, the game presents you with an instruction (press A) and you press A. If you press B, you lose, do anything else, you lose, do nothing, you lose.

But Frankie said that's not how it works

And the Hog run from CE was amazing, damn you!

Overdoziz

Banned
I always thought QTE's were events where you had to press a certain button at a certain moment or you'd "lose"

Frankie said that scene is completely playable, as in, you can move freely.

Back me up Frankliez
That moment where you're hanging from a wall avoiding stuff that's falling from up top doesn't look like you'll be able to freely move around. Maybe you can jump back to previous railings or something but it's clearly not the same as in normal gameplay. Frankie can call it whatever he wants but from what we've seen they seem to be (semi) on-rails scripted moments where you have limited movement options. It's a shame that stuff like that has creeped its way into Halo because Halo is all about movement.

Gui_PT

That moment where you're hanging from a wall avoiding stuff that's falling from up top doesn't look like you'll be able to freely move around. Maybe you can jump back to previous railings or something but it's clearly not the same as in normal gameplay. Frankie can call it whatever he wants but from what we've seen they seem to be (semi) on-rails scripted moments where you have limited movement options. It's a shame that stuff like that has creeped its way into Halo because Halo is all about movement.

Yeah it's like a semi-rail section

Not as bad as qte though, I hope.

Leflus

this is very troubling. I didn't know there were quick time events, are they localized to the beginning or are they littered throughout the game?
They sound more like Uncharted-esque sequences tbh. Not sure what to think of it. I have to try it out for myself.

Vire

this is very troubling. I didn't know there were quick time events, are they localized to the beginning or are they littered throughout the game?

It isn't a Quick Time Event, it's a scripted gameplay moment. You still have control over Master Chief, but it's limited.

This is the area the preview is talking about.

Doesn't seem offensive at all to me. If it was as simple as the Resident Evil Quick Time Events, I'd be rather upset.

But this seems fine and short enough. Doesn't seem like it would be very long at all.

As we've seen in the new footage and read about in the previews, in Halo 4 when you're climbing an elevator shaft (?) while dodging falling debris, and doing so without any button prompts and with the ability to move in the direction you choose, where failing to get out of the way of falling debris doesn't = instant death, wouldn't that just be a bit of climbing gameplay rather than a QTE? Are some too quick to label everything that isn't shooting or driving as a QTE?

Edit: I see others are thinking the same.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
As we've seen in the new footage and read about in the previews, in Halo 4 when you're climbing an elevator shaft (?) while dodging falling debris, and doing so without any button prompts and with the ability to move in the direction you choose, where failing to get out of the way of falling debris doesn't = instant death, wouldn't that just be a bit of climbing gameplay rather than a QTE? Are some too quick to label everything that isn't shooting or driving as a QTE?

Edit: I see others are thinking the same.

just think of it as frogger

wwm0nkey

Cool, how many points? Although hopefully that doesn't encourage TKing to get those points.

100 points so basically its worth 10 kills but you will be getting kills on the way there too. Also assisting in a flag capture will give you points too, I think its like 50 for driving the flag carrier to capture it.

So they are really trying to encourage teamwork with the point system.

Neither do I.

Why? Because I don't like the feeling that I'm not in control.

So you wont be able to control yourself walking over the flag and take it? If you have no intension to getting the flag then you are clearly playing the wrong gametype and shouldnt be near it at all.

Falagard

So you wont be able to control yourself walking over the flag and take it? If you have no intension to getting the flag then you are clearly playing the wrong gametype and shouldnt be near it at all.

Situation A:

I'm in a firefight with another player, back-pedalling and suddenly the flag's in my hand and my pistol's out, because I walked over the flag accidentally. I'm dead, awesome.

Situation B:

I'm running with the flag, my team's dead and I am being chased. In a previous game I'd be able to drop the flag, and maybe hold off the other team while waiting for my teammates to back me up. Very fun gameplay, now not possible.

----

I also don't understand why they'd add something like odd-ball passing, which gives you extra freedom, and then take away flag dropping.

These changes to CTF are some of the worst things I've heard about Halo 4 so far. And this will set a precedent for future Halo games as well.

I LOVE objective games, don't fuck them up for me 343.

Hargenx

Situation A:

I'm in a firefight with another player, back-pedalling and suddenly the flag's in my hand and my pistol's out, because I walked over the flag accidentally. I'm dead, awesome.

Situation B:

I'm running with the flag, my team's dead and I am being chased. In a previous game I'd be able to drop the flag, and maybe hold off the other team while waiting for my teammates to back me up. Very fun gameplay, now not possible.

----

I also don't understand why they'd add something like odd-ball passing, which gives you extra freedom, and then take away flag dropping.

These changes to CTF are some of the worst things I've heard about Halo 4 so far. And this will set a precedent for future Halo games as well.

I LOVE objective games, don't fuck them up for me 343.

This guy has some REALLY good points.

GamerSoul

Just get your magnum skills up, guys. /sarcasm
:3

Honestly, I can't wait for this game. I won't know if the little changes are really going to bother me till I play it. But I can understand how not being able to drop the flag could bother some people.

I'd be fine with the auto flag pickup again like in Halo 1 but the no dropping just ruins it. Guess there won't be any flag "glitching" this time around. Or doing fun teamwork like tossing flags up to people higher up. At this point I wish they went the Unreal route and strap it onto your back.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Excuse me? CTF is my favorite gametype. And there are many reasons to be near a flag with no intention of picking it up...AT THAT EXACT MOMENT.

Picking it up causes a chain of events which will eventually lead to my death or to the continued success of the game.

The problem isn't high when the flag is at home, it's when the flag is out in the middle of the map with 4 people defending it. A chaotic firefight occurs and bam! Some poor sucker gets screwed over when he accidentally picks up the flag.

People do usually tend to want to clear an area before grabbing the flag... Which will make things borderline nightmarish when the flag is positioned in the middle of a small walkway/cave where going "around" significantly lower your chances of survival... Now i cant go in to be sure that i will have a chance. The game just removed options available to me. I'm not in control.

CTF isn't just about capturing the flag. That's the end game. There are many little games that occur within a game. Having it auto-grab and removing the ability to drop reduces the amount of "game" that occurs.

I see when people try to defend this stupid decision they try to break it down into simplest terms... But they don't take into account anything that occurs leading up to that point or afterwards.

Majanew

Banned
Not being able to drop the flag is a great change. CTF is my favorite and this just makes me even more excited...on top of being happy about CTF having its own playlist now. Single flag CTF 24/7 here I come!

I agree that the automatic pickup needs to go, though.

JaggedSac

Excuse me? CTF is my favorite gametype. And there are many reasons to be near a flag with no intention of picking it up...AT THAT EXACT MOMENT.

Picking it up causes a chain of events which will eventually lead to my death or to the continued success of the game.

The problem isn't high when the flag is at home, it's when the flag is out in the middle of the map with 4 people defending it. A chaotic firefight occurs and bam! Some poor sucker gets screwed over when he accidentally picks up the flag.

People do usually tend to want to clear an area before grabbing the flag... Which will make things borderline nightmarish when the flag is positioned in the middle of a small walkway/cave where going "around" significantly lower your chances of survival... Now i cant go in to be sure that i will have a chance. The game just removed options available to me. I'm not in control.

CTF isn't just about capturing the flag. That's the end game. There are many little games that occur within a game. Having it auto-grab and removing the ability to drop reduces the amount of "game" that occurs.

I see when people try to defend this stupid decision they try to break it down into simplest terms... But they don't take into account anything that occurs leading up to that point or afterwards.

Just imagine that the flag is a land mine. Hopefully you would have the awareness not to step on a land mine ;)

Seriously?

You have a one hit kill melee n a powerful magnum that is more leathal then the regular magnum. No need to drop unless you cray. N if you have rockets that you dont want to lose, then just defend flag but you aint gotta be on top of it to risk touching it. Simple.

Again ill wait to actually test it out before calling out judements. From all gameplay of ctf i did not see any problems.

Top Bottom