• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 - Media blow out

They sound more like Uncharted-esque sequences tbh. Not sure what to think of it. I have to try it out for myself.

It isn't a Quick Time Event, it's a scripted gameplay moment. You still have control over Master Chief, but it's limited.

This is the area the preview is talking about.

Doesn't seem offensive at all to me. If it was as simple as the Resident Evil Quick Time Events, I'd be rather upset.

But this seems fine and short enough. Doesn't seem like it would be very long at all.

As we've seen in the new footage and read about in the previews, in Halo 4 when you're climbing an elevator shaft (?) while dodging falling debris, and doing so without any button prompts and with the ability to move in the direction you choose, where failing to get out of the way of falling debris doesn't = instant death, wouldn't that just be a bit of climbing gameplay rather than a QTE? Are some too quick to label everything that isn't shooting or driving as a QTE?

Edit: I see others are thinking the same.

thank you. that sounds and looks very reasonable. fears assuaged.

It isn't a Quick Time Event, it's a scripted gameplay moment. You still have control over Master Chief, but it's limited.

This is the area the preview is talking about.

Doesn't seem offensive at all to me. If it was as simple as the Resident Evil Quick Time Events, I'd be rather upset.

But this seems fine and short enough. Doesn't seem like it would be very long at all.

Wtf, that looks awful, and really invasive. I don't want to have to play through that/ or those kind of mini game scenarios on replays.

Doesn't even look exciting or fun for the first time.

Even if it only lasts 5 minutes, its going to be pretty tiresome playing some weird mini game on replays of that mission.

Vire

Wtf, that looks awful, and really invasive. I don't want to have to play through that/ or those kind of mini game scenarios on replays.

Doesn't even look exciting or fun for the first time.

Even if it only lasts 5 minutes, its going to be pretty tiresome playing some weird mini game on replays of that mission.
Seems like a tiny bit of an overreaction no?

It's not like this kind of thing is interwoven into the actual gunplay. For instance, Resident Evil has those silly button prompts if a zombie latches onto you and you have to waggle the analog to break free. This is separate from the gunplay and it won't interfere with the actual shooting.

Secondly, it also gives the impression that Master Chief is a super soldier spartan and is capable of much more than simply shooting people. (Something previous games failed to capture). If spartans are supposed to be this genetically modified badass, well then show it.

I kinda like these small vignettes as long as they are kept to a minimum and don't result in weird prompts onscreen to perform an action.

Gui_PT

You have a one hit kill melee n a powerful magnum that is more leathal then the regular magnum. No need to drop unless you cray. N if you have rockets that you dont want to lose, then just defend flag but you aint gotta be on top of it to risk touching it. Simple.

Again ill wait to actually test it out before calling out judements. From all gameplay of ctf i did not see any problems.

So many things wrong with this post.

And I like how you kinda ignored the accidental flag pick up scenario.

Monocle

Seems like a tiny bit of an overreaction no?

It's not like this kind of thing is interwoven into the actual gunplay. For instance, Resident Evil has those silly button prompts if a zombie latches onto you and you have to waggle the analog to break free. This is separate from the gunplay and it won't interfere with the actual shooting.

Secondly, it also gives the impression that Master Chief is a super soldier spartan and is capable of much more than simply shooting people. (Something previous games failed to capture). If spartans are supposed to be this genetically modified badass, well then show it.

I kinda like these small vignettes as long as they are kept to a minimum and don't result in weird prompts onscreen to perform an action.
It's the fact of limited interactivity that bothers me; how Halo's sandbox gameplay, with all the possibilities for progressing in new and interesting ways, is suspended. Unavoidably stalled. Whether or not these are more properly called on-rails sequences instead of QTEs, their result is identical: as a player I'm forced to complete a very restricted series of actions at fixed points in the game. The cruelest part is that they don't even tell the story better than ordinary cinematics. Master Chief's power could be conveyed equally well by scenes that look the same but can be instantly skipped.

Take a mental trip through Halo 1. Notice that even its most limited areas, the final Warthog run and the most structured level, The Library, leave you the player in full control. Sure, your objective is very specific, but you're free to do whatever you want within the confines of the playable space. This is where Halo fundamentally differs from other modern shooters, even its own sequels. To the extent that Halo 4 employs on-rails sequences or QTEs or anything else of the sort, it undermines the freedom that sets Halo apart from everything else.

You have a one hit kill melee n a powerful magnum that is more leathal then the regular magnum. No need to drop unless you cray. N if you have rockets that you dont want to lose, then just defend flag but you aint gotta be on top of it to risk touching it. Simple.

Again ill wait to actually test it out before calling out judements. From all gameplay of ctf i did not see any problems.

And thats the problem. Thats exactly the problem i stated before and i saw this coming without even playing the game.

Most people will get there and not touch the flag because of the fact that they wont wanna lose being able to use the main weapon they are carrying. So theyll be there and wait....wait some more....until someone gets there that actually does grab it.

This is about as useful to the gameplay as armor-lock was. All this will do is slow down the game because of a bunch of people who wont wanna grab it. Very stupid move that i fully expect to be fixed within the first patch. If not sooner.

Edit: In COD, an auto-flag pickup with no drops works cause you dont lose the ability to use your main guns. Thats the only reason it works there. Here, it wont work. No one wants to lose the ability to use a BR for example for a forced magnum that u cant change. No one.

I like the fact that a magnum appears when u grab the flag, Its cool, but let me automatically drop the flag on a weapon switch like that i can better defend myself. Its a very simple fix.

Flipyap

We already had this:
UkKOAl.jpg

But now we'll have to watch him struggle to open doors like every other videogameman. Progress?

Im not opposed to the "QTE like but not QTE sections" of the game as long as they play well and aren't death traps. Like other have said, if you can't fail them but can only perform them better then its all good. I like stuff like that when used appropriately.. it can really give you an immersive, badass feeling.

Im not opposed to the "QTE like but not QTE sections" of the game as long as they play well and aren't death traps. Like other have said, if you can't fail them but can only perform them better then its all good. I like stuff like that when used appropriately.. it can really give you an immersive, badass feeling.

Those are my thoughts as well.

If they can add to the experience rather than detract from it, I see nothing wrong with that.

They seen to be pushing tons of geometry... The inner levels feels really dense, and most of the details are actual geometry...

Ya just noticed how in every detail it's actual geometry. All the pipes on the ceiling and ground and walls are actual rendered pipes but the crazy thing is they're the most rounded pipes I've seen in a game. They got way more poly pushing power then previous games. So good.

2329463-h4_campaign_dawn_firstperson_05_copy.jpg

I don't know if anything else can look better on this console.

Vire

bungie makes a space dogfighting minigame, expanding the halo sandbox into space combat, 343 adds QTE's.

Where are these QTE's you are talking about? Cause I don't see any.

Secondly, there is a Mech portion in the single player which I'm certain will scratch the same itch as the Sabre in Reach.

(I didn't like the Sabre on repeat playthroughs though). Long Night of Solace is still my favorite level.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Ya just noticed how in every detail it's actual geometry. All the pipes on the ceiling and ground and walls are actual rendered pipes but the crazy thing is they're the most rounded pipes I've seen in a game. They got way more poly pushing power then previous games. So good.

LOL!! :D

Doom 3 art director? Hell yeah, that's awesome.

They assembled one heck of a dream team for 343i. It's almost a shame that they will be stuck forever making Halo games, because I'd love to see this team tackle their own IP.

Also awesome concept artist like sparth.
Me as a artistic cavemen even find his work awesome.

For the most part the Art work and models are of a higher quality then bungies work on reach. And probably because 80% of the engine was done so artist could start working on art iterations from the start probably 343 has a lot of experienced people so they already know a thing or two. Im not saying this is out of reach for bungie given the extra 2 years of time they could reach this level also people underestimate bungies know how. And Destiny should be something to look out for a technical person. Bungie has presented a lot of papers on their tech.

Doesn't seem that way to me. Reach was no slouch in that department.

The hyperbole is getting ridiculous.

I agree that the character modeling and guns, etc look on par with what was in Reach (Humans aside, and even then Rech still looked good) but overall the game is looking a lot better with more details and better art direction in all the right places.

Monocle

In a way it's jarring to see Elites with such humanlike forearms now, but I think I like it. The Grunts don't do anything for me though. Bring back the pointy backpacks and methane masks. There's no improving on perfection.

Flipyap

Did you actually click that link?
That's like saying "+ the collision detection of God of War 3".

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/30/2329463-h4_campaign_dawn_firstperson_05_copy.jpg[/ IMG]

I don't know if anything else can look better on this console.[/QUOTE]

Man, Doom 3 would blow your freakin' mind. It had SO MANY PIPES! Big pipes! Small pipes! Bent pipes! Fleshy pipes! It had pipes for days!
Mr. Scott really likes his pipes. There's a reason everyone calls him Piper. [spoiler]No one calls him Piper[/spoiler]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZYxno.jpg
1zxS7l.jpg

SkPFAl.png

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Looks like circumference is about 20 polys... Still not perfect :p

Top Bottom