• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 - Media blow out

Sure, but using his resume to explain some accidental visual similarity is a bit silly.
I think its fair at this point to provide a disclaimer that when it comes to game development I don't know shit about shit. Outside of what I get from GAF via osmosis. Just want to be clear on that ;P

The rocks do remind me of God of War 3 though.

Open world, dark, brooding atmosphere, scanning for tapes, getting upgrade depots, linear missions/dungeons peppered between overworld exploration, and all the great halo mechanics and enemies.
I wasn't really into the ODST audio/visual logs, but the terminals in Halo Anniversary were awesome.

An example: The Terminal for "Keyes". Spoilers for those who haven't played Halo:CE

Doom 3 + Metroid + Halo = halo odst ?

scNNH.gif

Open world, dark, brooding atmosphere, scanning for tapes, getting upgrade depots, linear missions/dungeons peppered between overworld exploration, and all the great halo mechanics and enemies.

DSN2K

be interesting to see what the Covenant intentions are....thought the war was over ? Perhaps this is a splinter faction.

We're sitting here, and Halo 4 supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about pipes. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about pipes; not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about pipes. Not the game that 343 go out there and die for and build every game like it's their last but we're talking about pipes man. How silly is that?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
How you get the 20 number from? Just wondering :p

I zoomed in and counted roughly 10 ridges (vertices when taken in a slice) in half a circumference?

Technically if looking at a pipe and assuming they are single sided, 10 vertices would imply 40 polygons going around (takes 2 polys to make a square surface, essentially what a pipe is made out of)

Where the high geometry parts are... Is the curves in the pipes, so imagine the curve is 20 polys, that's 20 * 40 polys for the curve

Doesn't sound like a lot... But have 10 curves with 2 adjoining pipes on screen at 30 FPS... Then you have a tri output of over 500,000 polys/sec

(And this is why round objects become annoying)

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Definitely the most visually interesting Halo. Lighting totally arse-shags the prior versions. New engine?

I may actually care to play this. Still do not care for the mythos, but the game has always been fairly solid.

Demon Ice

Banned
We're sitting here, and Halo 4 supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about pipes. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about pipes; not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about pipes. Not the game that 343 go out there and die for and build every game like it's their last but we're talking about pipes man. How silly is that?

Any discussion about the actual game mechanics includes people pointing out things that they are less than thrilled about, and then the "die hard" fans get offended and try desperately to shift the topic back to "omfg this awesome game looks so awesome" by posting the same set of .gifs and screens repeatedly.

Edit: Like so.

I like pipes. They are useful for water movement. And I LOVE water HALO games have rendered. Water in HALO 4 going to look so good. :)

I zoomed in and counted roughly 10 ridges (vertices when taken in a slice) in half a circumference?

Technically if looking at a pipe and assuming they are single sided, 10 vertices would imply 40 polygons going around (takes 2 polys to make a square surface, essentially what a pipe is made out of)

Where the high geometry parts are... Is the curves in the pipes, so imagine the curve is 20 polys, that's 20 * 40 polys for the curve

Doesn't sound like a lot... But have 10 curves with 2 adjoining pipes on screen at 30 FPS... Then you have a tri output of over 500,000 polys/sec

(And this is why round objects become annoying)

Thanks!!!!!

UUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Flood Spartan or Forerunner/Promethean that's been bioengineered + modified with tech?

***nevermind it's the former, thanks for the clarification monk.

Those flood design looks good.
Now i do want the flood back.

chief... I need you.
40 days. plz zoom by faster than the last 1,825. although I know you won't.
happy 5th birthday Halo 3

Fuck... fuck... HOLY FUCK! @ those screens. Looks so good. The Flood-infected S3s look pretty cool. Pretty different look for the Flood from what we're used to.

Lingitiz

Man those pics are gorgeous. Requiem seems to capture the feeling of the first Halo and amps that up way past anything the original trilogy hit.

Im afraid my 360 will RROD trying to run this game, or catch on fire. :lol

Man the Flood look different, but given its a MP only mode I wonder if thier proportionate changes have to do more with hitboxes. Still, major style change.. more like something from Doom or Resident Evil. Hopefully the old style isn't gone completely, I liked the little touches like heads to the side, hands contorted and the little red plant growth things.

Not that I needed any more confirmation, but 343 is a team of fucking wizards. The wonders never cease; new media seldom fails to amaze and astonish. I absolutely cannot wait to see the places this game will take us.

I bow to you, 343. Bring on November.

I want to see the new Flood in motion, they are fucking badass.

I still like this design better though:

gqszL.jpg

It felt a lot more like a parasite taking over a corpse. Now they looks much more menacing, but at the same time more generic. Mix the two together and it would probably be perfect.

Kenka

This is the first time in a VERY long time I am blown away by both raw graphics and art direction. Fantastic. And I am a Nintendo fan that kept himself far from Halo, as stupid as it sounds.

That is how Metroid on Wii U should look like :eek:

Mdk7

My god, it's astonishingly beautiful.
Holy shit, 343 are already among my favorite developers ever, and i'm no usual Halo fan AT ALL.

Top Bottom