• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection | Review Thread

CRS

omg the Blood Gulch remake.

Holy shit, the memories... the feels.

;_________________________________________________________________;

I'm so tempted to charge a One and this game on my card right now.

ekim

Good reviews. Too bad I'm not really into Halo... I tried Halo 1 and Halo 4 and got bored pretty quickly.

derFeef

Good reviews. Too bad I'm not really into Halo... I tried Halo 1 and Halo 4 and got bored pretty quickly.

Multi or campaign? It's all campaign stuff for me, love the combat and the challenge.
Did not finish H4 though - this will be fixed with this collection.

CRS

Man, I'm just remembering playing Halo 2 with a bunch of friends on 4 TVs, sizes varying from a 40ish widescreen fat plasma TV to 20 inch CRT TVs.

Found a really old (blurry) picture, back when cell phones had shitty cameras.

1915847_1418603144557_3376981_n.jpg

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't see how you can review something like this. If you're a big Halo fan then its an automatic 10/10, if you're not a Halo fan then the score could be anything.

I agree.
Which is why they should review the game for the Halo fans.

10/10

So pumped.

I wonder if I will get it launch day from Game UK living here in the US...

Doubt it.

Doubtful. They haven't even shipped them yet and the only option was standard shipping, not expedited. I'd expect the end of next week at the earliest if you're waiting on the LE from game.uk.

I spent so much $$ on this. I bought it digital to play early. I bought a LE from game.uk to keep in my collection. I bought another LE from game.uk to give away on my twitch stream sometime soon.

Then I bought a 3rd LE from game.uk for some unknown reason to give someone at some point as a gift, even though I don't know who I'm going to give it to yet.

If there'd been an LE console I probably woulda bought two of them. One to put in my Halo UNSC GAEMS Vanguard PGE, and the other to put in my entertainment center and get rid of the black launch unit.

Syntsui

I don't see how can you not review a game like this 10/10.

Everyone already know what's in there, the graphics are better and the content is unmatched.

ekim

I don't see how can you not review a game like this 10/10.

Everyone already know what's in there, the graphics are better and the content is unmatched.

Maybe some reviewers think the gameplay isn't up to todays standards but then they knew that to expect and imho a game should be rated by how much it's meets your expectations.

Syntsui

Maybe some reviewers think the gameplay isn't up to todays standards but then, they knew that to expect and imho a game should be rated by how much it's meets your expectations.

Yeah, it's like reviewing Majora's Mask/Ocarina of Time/Golden Eye and saying it sucks because of the awful frame rate.

DC R1D3R

Banned
Urge to buy Xbone rising. This would be the only thing I'd get on the console until at least Quantum Break but this collection has more than enough content to warrant a console purchase and keep me occupied along with the PS4.

you won't be disappointed

sobaka770

Banned
The good side of Xbox One being outsold by competition:

Consumers get a crazy bundle like this for the price of one game. If Microsoft was doing rather well, it could've been easily sold for double the price.

This is probably, along with the Orange Box, the best value for money game package you can get. Just for this, it's at lest 8/10. Now if the games were poorly ported, the score could oscillate, but the remasters look fine, run well and are exactly what they were expected to be. I still won't get Xbox One for this, but Microsoft can get some of NA love out of it, I suppose.

It's funny and sad at the same time that the best titles this year so far have been The Last of Us Remastered and Halo Complete Collection. I hope that in coming weeks AC:U and DA:O will finally bring some of that next-gen goodness, even though these titles are sequels...

We'll need to wait until February for Bloodborne and Order 1886 then for so much needed new-gen IPs?

Maybe some reviewers think the gameplay isn't up to todays standards but then they knew that to expect and imho a game should be rated by how much it's meets your expectations.

That would imply that today's gameplay standards are ahead of what Halo had to offer back in 2001, which is sadly not the case.

Facism

Man, I'm just remembering playing Halo 2 with a bunch of friends on 4 TVs, sizes varying from a 40ish widescreen fat plasma TV to 20 inch CRT TVs.

Found a really old (blurry) picture, back when cell phones had shitty cameras.

1915847_1418603144557_3376981_n.jpg

we used to do this with halo 3 :) 8 of us going online for bigteam in one livingroom, splitscreen across 4 TVs lol.

Feindflug

87 Metascore is odd. I was expecting 95+ for this, but it's doing worse than the God of War Collection for comparison's sake.

I suppose Halo 2 (the main attraction) does have the crappiest campaign of the series.

Game Revolution:

- no Reach and ODST.
- Massive time sink. Pace yourself.
- I'm so f***ing tired of shooters.

Shacknews:

True to their nature, the older games are still hampered by their outdated saving system. Often I would have to jump back into the start of a mission I hadn't completed, rather than simply picking up progress where I left off at a checkpoint, because I had forgotten to save and quit out to the main menu. It will likely take modern gamers a few frustrating moments of missing progress to remind them of how to negotiate a system that sticks to its roots a little too much.

Metro.co.uk:

Cons: There’s always been a lot of repetition within the Halo games and this collection only helps to highlight that fact. Multiplayer inevitably feels old-fashioned and slow.

Lazygamer:

The core Halo games are already going to eat up plenty of your hours, but with a multiplayer section that has a stable netcode and perhaps too much content to tide players over, you might never emerge again to experience natural light. Clearly, Microsoft and 343 Industries want to make Gears of War a reality by actually creating the Locust.

Gamereactor Sweden:

Single-player feels dated but multiplayer is rock solid and you get 106 amazing levels.

Detective

Some of the reviewers must be smoking something or they just dont know what they are talking about.

Take this guy for instance:

He is shocked because he CANT run in Halo 1-3 ??

'' it’s a bit of a shock to find out that you can’t actually run in any of the games except Halo 4 ''

I mean really? do you know halo or have played Halo?

http://metro.co.uk/

Hanmik

Yeah what is going on here? This should be a 95+ quite easily. Some of the reviews I have read are just terrible.

One of the most generous gaming packages containing the most seminal games ever that still hold their own against FPS' of today and its sitting on 87 at metacritic? Just silly really.

Generous..? tsk tsk,.,

Sonic´s Ultimate Genesis Collection was geneorus.. 40+ games... perfectly emulated ..

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/sonics-ultimate-genesis-collection

metascore: 80

Kssio_Aug

Lol
Look at some of those critics! I mean... What??

"- no Reach and ODST.
- I'm so f***ing tired of shooters."

Is this for real or you changed their words into a resume? Because if thats the case, some reviewers nowadays have a trully hard time hiding their bias.

Feindflug

Lol
Look at some of those critics! I mean... What??

"- no Reach and ODST.
- I'm so f***ing tired of shooters."

Is this for real or you changed their words into a resume? Because if thats the case, some reviewers nowadays have a trully hard time hiding their bias.

No I didn't change anything, seriously these are the cons in their review.

no sprint = no sale
Chef needs to learn how to ADS while he is at it

(at least, that's what will get me interested in Halo again....otherwise it feels too ancient....)

1f1uS1J.jpg

It needs hitmarkers too. How will I know if I hit someone otherwise? I might as well be playing Doom.

I wonder if people now actually expect to see this stuff in a shooter?

BokehKing

Banned
Some of the reviewers must be smoking something or they just dont know what they are talking about.

'' it’s a bit of a shock to find out that you can’t actually run in any of the games except Halo 4 ''

how do you think all the 'new generation of halo fans' are going to feel when they find out they can't run....after running in every other FPS game for the last 10 years

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.

Amazing.

"Multiplayer inevitably feels old-fashioned and slow"

Yep. You hear that 343i? You better put them perks and ADS in Halo 5.

T.O.P

Banned

what in the fuck

Ajacx

Banned
no sprint = no sale
Chef needs to learn how to ADS while he is at it

(at least, that's what will get me interested in Halo again....otherwise it feels too ancient....)

If 343 introduced ADS, I'm sure the loyal fanbase would cry words like "CODification" and "not Halo".

Even though you can change the controls in Halo 4 so you can toggle zoom with the left trigger with weapons that have it.

BokehKing

Banned
It needs hitmarkers too. How will I know if I hit someone otherwise? I might as well be playing Doom.

I wonder if people now actually expect to see this stuff in a shooter?

well..
yes....they do...the world has moved on, people new to halo are not going to be like "that's it...no more sprinting, no more custom classes, no more aiming down sights" This series is made for The Halo Hardcore...I played the hell out of Halo 2...wasted my life away on that almost...but I can't....go backwards in game play, I have a feeling i'm not the only one

Septic360

Banned
nope.. just qouting you..

and showing you that there are even more genrous packages out there, they also score very different on Metacritic..

So you do think its generous? You did say:

Generous..? tsk tsk,.,

What were you 'tsking' about then? Obviously you're trying to say its not generous.

One package also has had significantly more work done and is far more ambitious btw.

BokehKing

Banned
If they've been playing shooters for the last 10 years there hardly a new generation

Then 8 years....whatever...the "My first Shooter was MW2" crowd
You guy shave to prepare yourself for reviewers that come from that crowd, that will be having those complaints, and you have to brace yourself for that and not jump down their throat.

tuna_love

Banned
well..
yes....they do...the world has moved on, people new to halo are not going to be like "that's it...no more sprinting, no more custom classes, no more aiming down sights" This series is made for The Halo Hardcore...I played the hell out of Halo 2...wasted my life away on that almost...but I can't....go backwards in game play, I have a feeling i'm not the only one
Don't you like destiny? I think having no story in a game is pretty backwards?

Detective

how do you think all the 'new generation of halo fans' are going to feel when they find out they can't run....after running in every other FPS game for the last 10 years

Well if someone doesn't know how Halo 1-3 plays out than they must have been living under a rock.

Thank god there is internet and people can search and see everything for free.

Then I bought a 3rd LE from game.uk for some unknown reason to give someone at some point as a gift, even though I don't know who I'm going to give it to yet.

*Whoosh-POP-Fizzle-Fizzle*

Steps out of time machine.

"Thanks so much for the game it meant more than you could imagine!"

Steps back into time machine.

*Whoosh-POP-Fizzle-Fizzle*

Top Bottom