• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection | Review Thread

jelly

It needs hitmarkers too. How will I know if I hit someone otherwise? I might as well be playing Doom.

I wonder if people now actually expect to see this stuff in a shooter?

I didn't even realise what hit markers were till a week or two ago as someone pointed them out. I thought it was just some overly fancy reticle. Subconciously it might have clicked, who knows.

ethomaz

Banned
Great reviews so far... must to have collection.

That would imply that today's gameplay standards are ahead of what Halo had to offer back in 2001, which is sadly not the case.
Well in my opinion Titanfall and Destiny are way ahead in terms of gameplay than what Halo showed in 2001.

So yes... gameplay's standards today are ahead what Halo had in 2001 in my opinion.

And that is not a issue... the first Halo was amazing and ahead of it time in 2001.

how do you think all the 'new generation of halo fans' are going to feel when they find out they can't run....after running in every other FPS game for the last 10 years

I'm not sure if you're being serious, but regardless, even when Halo first came out FPS fans were already used to running all the time in the genre's staple titles like Quake and Unreal Tournament. Halo was slower and more methodical, which was deemed a good thing by many.

Well in my opinion Titanfall and Destiny are way ahead in terms of gameplay than what Halo showed in 2001.

Hell no for Destiny, it's a regression through and through.

Kssio_Aug

Even if people prefer the sprint options nowadays, it doesnt make any sense to lower the review score for it. This is not a 2014 game, this is the original Halo's remastered. Period. If they added sprint to it they would probably just break the gameplay, and not saying that this would piss a lot of people off.

Thats a RIDICULOUS critic. It doesnt even matter if sprint is good or not.

Thoraxes

Lol
Look at some of those critics! I mean... What??

"- no Reach and ODST.
- Massive time sink. Pace yourself.
- I'm so f***ing tired of shooters."

Is this for real or you changed their words into a resume? Because if thats the case, some reviewers nowadays have a trully hard time hiding their bias.

The game is literally called "Halo: The Master Chief Collection".

I didn't think it was possible to incorrectly infer what games are going to be in there lol

Klocker

Even if people prefer the sprint options nowadays, it doesnt make any sense to lower the review score for it. This is not a 2014 game, this is the original Halo's remastered. Period. If they added sprint to it they would probably just break the gameplay, and not saying that this would piss a lot of people off.

Thats a RIDICULOUS critic. It doesnt even matter if sprint is good or not.

Yea. Some of those quotes are cringe worthy. It's not even a review, it's an ignorant rant.

Prine

Banned
Great reviews so far... must to have collection.

So yes... gameplay's standards today are ahead what Halo had in 2001 in my opinion.

And that is not a issue... the first Halo was amazing and ahead of it time in 2001.

Your insane, listen to what your saying. The impact Halo left on console shooters is far beyond what Titanfall/Destiny. Vehicle combat, melee, grenade mechanics, AI and music implementation, then matchmaking with Halo2. The later games are not worthy to be mentioned in terms of impact and progress. Damn I can't believe I read that.

ethomaz

Banned
Hell no for Destiny, it's a regression through and through.
Destiny's gunplay a regression? It is the best part of Destiny... you can have issues with the game but the gameplay really shines.

Your insane, listen to what your saying. The impact Halo left on console shooters is far beyond what Titanfall/Destiny. Vehicle combat, melee, grenade mechanics, AI and music implementation, then matchmaking with Halo2. The later games are not worthy to be mentioned in terms of impact and progress. Damn I can't believe I read that.
What impacted in 2001 for example have to do with how the game plays today lol

Yeap today gameplay in recent games are ahead what Halo 1 showed in 2001 even if what Halo 1 showed in 2001 was more relevant than what these games shows today... you know gameplay evoluted and the resources to use too.

tuna_love

Banned
Destiny's gunplay a regression? It is the best part of Destiny... you can have issues with the game but the gameplay really shines.

What impacted in 2001 for example have to do with how the game plays today lol

Yeap today gameplay in recent games are ahead what Halo 1 showed in 2001 even if what Halo 1 showed in 2001 was more relevant than what these games shows today... you know gameplay evoluted and the resources to use too.
Destiny gameplay feels like a bunch of dudes running into headshots to me.

JonCha

The game is literally called "Halo: The Master Chief Collection".

I didn't think it was possible to incorrectly infer what games are going to be in there lol

Yeah. Polygon's review was good overall but their complain about not including ODST and Reach seemed a bit silly.

*Whoosh-POP-Fizzle-Fizzle*

Steps out of time machine.

"Thanks so much for the game it meant more than you could imagine!"

Steps back into time machine.

*Whoosh-POP-Fizzle-Fizzle*

Never know, you could be the lucky winner if you happen to be checking out my stream when I give one away the week after next. I wanna let the launch buzz die down and see who is actually still watching Halo lovers play Halo, then give it away for a more dedicated fan instead of just the unwashed launch day twitch masses. I'll post in the OT when I'm doing it though.

And my stream is not monetized.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Damn you. Don't take away my Hype. For family reasons I never got to play Halo 4 so I have that to look forward to.

Its best campaign in the series imo. May be for some people its not, but internet hyperbole is real. So now its just cool to hate Halo 4 for some people.

It may be the best part of Destiny - it probably is - but it's also a regression from Halo. Here and here are some of my thoughts on Destiny's minute-to-minute gameplay in comparison to Halo.

Way back in the days of Destiny's alpha I said that it would be helpful if those posting their impressions would note their level of experience with Halo and the same for Borderlands, because I sensed that those new to Halo (Destiny alpha was exclusive to PlayStation platforms, after all) would find the gameplay great even if it wasn't quite up to Halo's standards. I mean, even watered down, Halo's gunplay and basic gameplay would still be cut above most FPS games on the market. I was laughed out, but later, when I finally got my hands on the beta, my suspicions were confirmed, in my opinion. Destiny's gameplay is good, it's just not as good as it could and should have been had it not been held back by the game's stat-focused design.

As a side note, I'm not at all saying that Halo still hasn't been matched or even surpassed in that regard. There are rare exceptional games here and there, including the series' own Halo 3, that met the bar or raised it. But I do believe that today's standard is still below Halo's 2001 accomplishments.

ethomaz

Banned
It may be the best part of Destiny - it probably is - but it's also a regression from Halo. Here and here are some of my thoughts on Destiny's minute-to-minute gameplay in comparison to Halo.

Way back in the days of Destiny's alpha I said that it would be helpful if those posting their impressions would note their level of experience with Halo and the same for Borderlands, because I sensed that those new to Halo (Destiny alpha was exclusive to PlayStation platforms, after all) would find the gameplay great even if it wasn't quite up to Halo's standards. I mean, even watered down, Halo's gunplay and basic gameplay would still be cut above most FPS games on the market. I was laughed out, but later, when I finally got my hands on the beta, my suspicions were confirmed, in my opinion. Destiny's gameplay is good, it's just not as good as it could and should have been had it not been held back by the game's stat-focused design.

As a side note, I'm not at all saying that Halo still hasn't been matched or even surpassed in that regard. There are rare exceptional games here and there, including the series' own Halo 3, that met the bar or raised it. But I do believe that today's standard is still below Halo's 2001 accomplishments.
Well... opinions are opinions... I felt the exactly opposite :D

Reach while not being a great game holds the best Halo's gunplay for me yet.

Lol
Look at some of those critics! I mean... What??

"- no Reach and ODST.
- Massive time sink. Pace yourself.
- I'm so f***ing tired of shooters."

Is this for real or you changed their words into a resume? Because if thats the case, some reviewers nowadays have a trully hard time hiding their bias.

No I didn't change anything, seriously these are the cons in their review.

"I'm so f***ing tired of shooters!!"

*Takes MCC Review*

OneUh8

Sucks I have to wait for Christmas to get a XBONE (present from wife). Can't wait to relive Halo 1-3 multi. Going to be glorious.

One of my biggest gripes is when people judge a game based on what it's not rather than what it is. Seeing people list cons such as, "No Reach or ODST" (this is called the Halo Master Cheif Collection afterall), or "Halo 3 and 4 weren't given the anniversary treatment" seem like some serious nitpicking for negatives, or just down right silly. Just stick to what IS in the collection and about those games.

Other notable mentions are, "you can't sprint in Halo 1-3", and "the checkpoints are bad!"... both of which no one should have expected to change with ports of existing games.

Super honorable mention to a negative of, "I'm so f***ing tired of shooters" in someone who took on a Halo MCC review.

well..
yes....they do...the world has moved on, people new to halo are not going to be like "that's it...no more sprinting, no more custom classes, no more aiming down sights" This series is made for The Halo Hardcore...I played the hell out of Halo 2...wasted my life away on that almost...but I can't....go backwards in game play, I have a feeling i'm not the only one

So a shooter without ADS or Sprint is 'going backwards' now?

Stop the world, I want to get off.

molnizzle

God damn I need this shit in my veins now. I think I may have finally kicked my bad Destiny habit and I'm ready to play a fulfilling shooter again. I'm gonna try to play through every SP campaign on Legendary starting with Halo: CE. I've never actually beaten any of them on Legendary before, should be interesting.

Between Forza Horizon 2 and this my Xbone will be getting a lot of attention this month.

I've been playing MCC for a few days now and for some reason, the terminals don't work. Once you find one, it opens up the Halo Channel to watch it but it just kicks me back to MCC.

343 did release two terminal videos last night on their YouTube.

Halo 2 Anniversary Terminal 1
Halo 2 Anniversary Terminal 2

Thanks man. I'm really looking forward to watching them and I hope that they give us some insight into where Halo 5 and the series are going in general.

molnizzle

Yep. ADS is for those who can't move and shoot at the same time. As is sprint.

Eh, I like sprint. It had been so long since I played them that I didn't even realize the first 3 Halo's didn't have that. That's probably gonna bug me, honestly.

TheOddOne

So a shooter without ADS or Sprint is 'going backwards' now?

Stop the world, I want to get off.
i0JRltZrjo4ww.gif

If a game isn't personally tailored for some people they simply have to complain about something. Even though it is four games in one.

I really can't believe that review quote, not that it is on a site or by a reviewer with any credibility to begin with anyway but they should certainly rescind that statement as they are basically saying they shouldn't review games as they can't be objective.

Back on topic great scores as expected and I imagine if MM was working properly it would have helped. Interesting to see comments of how much people are liking H2A and the feel of the game compared to the original offering.

Top Bottom