• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn PS4s biggest ever Sony published new IP launch in the UK

RootCause

Sent out to die. 😏

On a serious note, I'm glad it's doing amazing. My copy should be getting to me today if all goes well. Can't wait to delve into it.

Horizon is absolutely brilliant, well deserved!

Also, can't believe GTAV is still killing it. Hope Rockstar uses those profits for an even more more high budget RDR2 (and GTAVI).

FC3 alone contains all of the following: collecting resources to upgrade outfits and weapons, bandit camps, radio towers, being attacked by various creatures and enabling you to do conquer the world using a bow. Also the FC comparison has been made by several outlets. I certainly did not come up with it by myself.

I agree with you. If there's a comparison between Far Cry and Witcher 3 in terms of similarity, then I say Horizon is 70% Far Cry and 30% Witcher 3.

Horizon really feels like the best Far Cry game ever made with some RPG mechanics.

eizarus

Banned
Very well deserved. Loving the game so far
Just had my first cauldron eperience and it felt like something the machines in the Matrix would make

Lmao at every in the BotW review thread who thought this wouldn't sell as well

cheesekao

FC3 alone contains all of the following: collecting resources to upgrade outfits and weapons, bandit camps, radio towers, being attacked by various creatures and enabling you to do conquer the world using a bow. Also the FC comparison has been made by several outlets. I certainly did not come up with it by myself.
Collecting shit and using them to upgrade stuff is standard RPG fare for decades now. Being attacked by creatures is a far cry thing? Have you ever played a game without human enemies? Also, the bow is no where near as strong in FC3 than in Horizon and guns do a much better job. So you're basically left with bandit camps and radio towers and even then there are far lesser camps and towers in horizon than in FC3.

prwxv3

Collecting shit and using them to upgrade stuff is standard RPG fare for decades now. Being attacked by creatures is a far cry thing? Have you ever played a game without human enemies? Also, the bow is no where near as strong in FC3 than in Horizon. So you're basically left with bandit camps and radio towers.

I'd say the biggest difference is that horizons combat and enemy designs are miles ahead of Far Cry's . I'd say miles ahead of many AAA games period.

eizarus

Banned
I've never played FarCry because I always thought it was first-person. I might try it now if it's like Horizon.

It is. Far Cry Primal feels like a 1st-person prequel to this game post-dinosaurs (we're talking mammoths, sabre-tooth tigers etc.) It's really fun and definitely worth a try. Story-wise it's nothing special.

cheesekao

I'd say the biggest difference is that horizons combat and enemy designs are miles ahead of Far Cry's . I'd say miles ahead of many AAA games period.
I agree. I generally think that Japanese studios are superior to Western studios in the gameplay department but Horizon's gameplay is top notch.

Happy for this, the game deserves it so much.

Now to wait for the sequel ;_;

I wonder if it will release in this generation. Can't wait to hear Aloy theme as the opening of one of the E3 sony conferences in the next years when they announce it.

Binabik15

It pleases me that such a presumed gamble paid off. Congrats GG, thanks at whoever at Sony let them do it and a high five for whoever pitched that idea setiously. Probably took a lot if balls.

An open world RPGlite from GG? Featuring a female lead. With dinosaurs. ROBOT dinosaurs. Shooting lasers. In a stone age/bronze age (??? I didn't get far, bought it for my brother and have to wait until he's done :/) future.

A few years in a time best left unmentioned this game would have been marked as RADICAL TO THE MAX, but it just works so well together from what I've experienced and read.

In my few hours of gameplay there were clever mechanics (like traps and ropes), different ways to tackle encounters (and different outcomes with the same tactics) and super responsive controls that feel very natural. With only a handful of weapons and enemy types so far! I can't comment on the story (something GG always struggled with), but setting seems very well done (which was always a strong point with GG). Amazing graphics and solid performance even on a standard PS4.

If someone can do for knights and dragons what GG pulled off for lazr dinos, oh my. The Souls series isn't there yet, I can't ride a dragon there and performance, urgh.

It is. Far Cry Primal feels like a 1st-person prequel to this game post-dinosaurs (we're talking mammoths, sabre-tooth tigers etc.) It's really fun and definitely worth a try. Story-wise it's nothing special.

I don't play first-person games except the occasional walking-sim. I thought the first rule of comparisons is the games are in the same genre?

This makes me really happy, not because I'm emotionally invested in the game, but because GG took a risk by having a female protagonist who looks like a normal human being. I'm glad it paid off.

Other developers, take note. You don't need to make your female characters look like Quiet in order to make them sell.

eizarus

Banned
This makes me really happy, not because I'm emotionally invested in the game, but because GG took a risk by having a female protagonist who looks like a normal human being. I'm glad it paid off.

This might sound weird but I noticed that at one point in the game, her arms looked toned and muscular (not too much but enough to suggest that it's a result of physical labour/exercise). My point is that instead of making the kind of female character you'd see in a JRPG, they've went for someone that goes more badass than sexy. I love attention to detail :)

It's weird, on paper I get where someone might write up some checklist columns and come to the conclusion that Horizon and Far Cry are similar. As a big fan of the Far Cry games though, and enjoying Horizon in a huge way, I don't really feel like they are very similar on any real level. I really like Primal, but combat is so vastly different, and the way they leverage the setting and narrative into the actual moment to moment experience of Horizon, I honestly feel like they are totally different, I couldn't agree with you at all. It all just comes together very different and the atmosphere and balance of player vs environment and enemy causes me to play totally differently.

Hey, opinions though right? That's just my take and my experience.

Valonquar

After watching several gameplay & endboss fight videos of the new Zelda, H:ZD destroyed it in nearly every category. Every time someone is like "Look at the grass! Look at this photo of Link looking out over the landscape!" I'm like...BRO...BROOOO LOOK AT THIS SHIT:
h4azoEa.png

Congrats to Sony, their first new IP this gen I thoroughly enjoy. After years of mediocre killzone titled, I'm so happy that when Guerilla tried to do something different, they struck gold, gold!!

So glad GG ventured away from Killzone even though Killzone 2 was decent. I bought a Pro and a copy of the game here in the UK I was that sure of HZD.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
This has been the hardest hold out in a long time, everything I see makes me want it more.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm glad that a game that was seen as a culmination of setting and protagonist risks is really succeeding.

It's a helpful message for publishers to see, especially as the market gets continually harsher.

This one can't be brushed off by marketing execs for reasons like "It's Blizzard" either. Killzone wasn't setting sales records or review charts on fire with its most recent outings.

eizarus

Banned
It's weird, on paper I get where someone might write up some checklist columns and come to the conclusion that Horizon and Far Cry are similar. As a big fan of the Far Cry games though, and enjoying Horizon in a huge way, I don't really feel like they are very similar on any real level. I really like Primal, but combat is so vastly different, and the way they leverage the setting and narrative into the actual moment to moment experience of Horizon, I honestly feel like they are totally different, I couldn't agree with you at all. It all just comes together very different and the atmosphere and balance of player vs environment and enemy causes me to play totally differently.

Hey, opinions though right? That's just my take and my experience.

Having read your post, I'd say you're actually right. I completely blanked on the combat of Primal because I just spent my time taming shit and riding around (need to finish the game actually, done about 30%)

prwxv3

I'm glad that a game that was seen as a culmination of setting and protagonist risks is really succeeding.

It's a helpful message for publishers to see, especially as the market gets continually harsher.

This one can't be brushed off by marketing execs for reasons like "It's Blizzard" either. Killzone wasn't setting sales records or review charts on fire with its most recent outings.

Sony's handling and management of this game has been incredible. They were able to help get Guerrilla the help and manpower needed to make a entirely different type of game then they have normally made. It's not easy to go from linear first person shooters to a open world WRPG with a MC of 88 on the first try.

The three years of pre-production worked wonders.

Harmen

Great news, I hope it does well everywhere.

Ubisoft is sweating bullets right now.
Who is going to buy their bland formulaic open world games after they played Horizon(and Zelda for that matter)?

I really hope these two games will inspire more developers to get out of their comfort zones when it comes to open world design and open world gameplay design.

Open world fatigue is not a thing, but bad open world fatigue is a thing.

AC Syndicate took some right steps and I heard Watch Dogs 2 did as well. Here is hoping their break from yearly AC games leads to an epic comeback of the series.

Kill3r7

In fairness, Zelda would beat it easily if people actually had the hardware to play that game. God knows I want to play BotW, but no way am I buying a wiiU or a Switch for one game.

Why do people keep saying this? The best selling Zelda to date in the UK was OoT ~100k. Twilight Princess debut at 70k. Not sure how you can think it was a given that BotW would outsell Horizon.

AEdouard

Great news, I hope it does well everywhere.

AC Syndicate took some right steps and I heard Watch Dogs 2 did as well. Here is hoping their break from yearly AC games leads to an epic comeback of the series.

Well, HZD is very good, but it's not doing anything that new, just every usual thing very well. I think its fantastic graphics really help it feel new.

Dremark

Banned
Sony's handling and management of this game has been incredible. They were able to help get Guerrilla the help and manpower needed to make a entirely different type of game then they have normally made. It's not easy to go from linear first person shooters to a open world WRPG with a MC of 88 on the first try.

An 8.8 score is usually considered to be a pretty low score though.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Well, HZD is very good, but it's not doing anything that new, just every usual thing very well. I think its fantastic graphics really help it feel new.
Can you point me to any other game that does combat the way Horizon does combat?

The only comparison I can think of is the Griffin fight in Dragon's Dogma, which has the same basic concept but much more coarse grained and it's one enemy.

AEdouard

Why do people keep saying this? The best selling Zelda to date in the UK was OoT ~100k. Twilight Princess debut at 70k. Not sure how you can think it was a given that BotW would outsell Horizon.

Because I'm old and think Zelda is still loved by ALL!

Top Bottom