• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn PS4s biggest ever Sony published new IP launch in the UK

I am very pleased. Guerilla created a marvelous world that is fun to play as well. I can't wait to see the results for the rest of the world. I read that it's doing well in Japan, which is great.

I hope they release dlc for this game because I'd buy it instantly.

Ubisoft is sweating bullets right now.
Who is going to buy their bland formulaic open world games after they played Horizon(and Zelda for that matter)?

I really hope these two games will inspire more developers to get out of their comfort zones when it comes to open world design and open world gameplay design.

Open world fatigue is not a thing, but bad open world fatigue is a thing.

Tbf to Ubi, I think they realise their formula is old hat now.
Their course corrections in open world design with Watch Dogs 2 was a great start imo.

Bodes well for the next AC (I just also don't want to see 10,000 icons shit across an entire map)

An 8.8 score is usually considered to be a pretty low score though.

LOL.

What nonsense is this?
With how critics are so harsh this gen, an 88 MC as a first new IP attempt is really really good.

prwxv3

OléGunner;231568737 said:
Their course corrections in open world design with Watch Dogs 2 was a great start imo.

Bodes well for the next AC (I just also don't want to see 10,000 icons shit across an entire map)

LOL.

What nonsense is this?
With how critics are so harsh this gen, an 88 MC as a first new IP attempt is really really good.
I am OK with all the icons as long as the core gameplay (combat ect) is great.

AEdouard

Can you point me to any other game that does combat the way Horizon does combat?

The only comparison I can think of is the Griffin fight in Dragon's Dogma, which has the same basic concept but much more coarse grained and it's one enemy.

Not exactly the same way of course, but other open world games have had interesting combat, like MGSV. The general structure/mechanics of the game have all been done before, "special vision", crafting, missions are killing stuff, finding/looking at stuff, etc. It feels like a better looking Far Cry game, with more fun combat.

RedFury

Can you point me to any other game that does combat the way Horizon does combat?

The only comparison I can think of is the Griffin fight in Dragon's Dogma, which has the same basic concept but much more coarse grained and it's one enemy.
New Tomb Raider. Although I did not enjoy new TR for story reasons game play was solid. I feel like Horizon is an open world TR with actual tombs to raid, better combat "puzzles", and a story I actually find engaging.

Oxn

50M+ PS4s vs. 13M WiiUs and 1-2M Switches. Not hard to believe. Plus 3 extra days of sales. Not saying BotW will outsell HZD. HZD has a much larger pool of players to draw upon.

You also gotta understand though that Zelda is one of those franchises that people buy hardware to play. In other words, in terms of attach rate in comparison to other games, many people who want to play Zelda really bad would have already bought a Wii-U, or will buy a Switch to play that game (again in comparison to other games).

Whereas you would be hard pressed to find someone who bought a PS4 or will buy a PS4 for Horizon alone.

So even if there were as many Wii-Us as there are PS4s out there, it wont necessarily translate to much higher sales for Zelda, higher but not much higher.

Oxn

Not exactly the same way of course, but other open world games have had interesting combat, like MGSV. The general structure/mechanics of the game have all been done before, "special vision", crafting, missions are killing stuff, finding/looking at stuff, etc. It feels like a better looking Far Cry game, with more fun combat.

You literally can break down any game this way if you want to.

I am OK with all the icons as long as the core gameplay (combat ect) is great.

I get anxiety seeing all those icons on a Ubi map lol.
Secondly, endless icons generally means filler/repetitive/boring things to do.

No amount of great gameplay will hold my interest in that case but that's just me.

You also gotta understand though that Zelda is one of those franchises that people buy hardware to play. In other words, in terms of attach rate in comparison to other games, many people who want to play Zelda really bad would have already bought a Wii-U, or will buy a Switch to play that game (again in comparison to other games).

Whereas you would be hard pressed to find someone who bought a PS4 or will buy a PS4 for Horizon alone.

So even if there were as many Wii-Us as there are PS4s out there, it wont necessarily translate to much higher sales for Zelda, higher but not much higher.

Huh?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
New Tomb Raider. Although I did not enjoy new TR for story reasons game play was solid. I feel like Horizon is an open world TR with actual tombs to raid, better combat "puzzles", and a story I actually find engaging.
I didn't like TR2013 so I didn't know the new one had anything other than human enemies. Because head shotting humans is the weakest thing in a game, even leg shooting or hand shooting in Infamous Second Son good path is more interesting to me.

prwxv3

You literally can break down any game this way if you want to.

Yea. And it's really unfair to gorilla. Combat wise there are like 18 completly unique enemy types with different weaknesses, strengths, ect. That takes alot of effort to design and make balanced within the game.

I'd say they are the most unique thing about the game personally.

vivekTO

c16ff545_o.png

All in all probably the best game I've played since Bloodborne

Thank god it doesn't control like The Witcher 3

I didn't find TW3's controls outright bad, definitely quite fiddly though.
But yeah it must be said GG did outstanding work on controls, Aloy is so tight to handle and plays smooth as melted butter.

eizarus

Banned
OléGunner;231568737 said:

I'm a big Assassin's Creed fan, and even defended Ubisoft with it often in the past, but I don't know how I'm gonna buy the next one if it doesn't follow GG's mantra in open world design.

RedFury

I didn't like TR2013 so I didn't know the new one had anything other than human enemies. Because head shotting humans is the weakest thing in a game, even leg shooting or hand shooting in Infamous Second Son good path is more interesting to me.
No, its quite the same. I meant mechanically. I agree that the games are a slog but played them because of some of gaf (who ever said it was a great game is a liar, as a whole passable at best. Story wise a stinker). I'm enjoying Horizon much more because it actually fills me with a sense of wonder. I heard someone say that it's a PS2 game with better textures and resolution negatively. I think it's an appropriate description and I love that about it. It all about the game play and fun VS what we get today for open world games. Think Jak & Daxter VS Ubisoft bloat (which is the new open world norm).

Lifeline

FC3 alone contains all of the following: collecting resources to upgrade outfits and weapons, bandit camps, radio towers, being attacked by various creatures and enabling you to do conquer the world using a bow. Also the FC comparison has been made by several outlets. I certainly did not come up with it by myself.

You can also get outfits, weapons, fight bandits, have creature encounters etc in Red Dead Redemption, but i wouldn't say that game is anything like Far Cry. They have similar things in them, but having spent a couple hundred hours in Far Cry games and almost a dozen in Horizon, they feel nothing alike.

I wouldn't recommend someone who likes Horizon the Far Cry series just like i wouldn't recommend someone who likes RDR to get Horizon.

bayman13

Neo Member

I'm enjoying Horizon as much as the next guy but let's not get carried away. Horizon has at best 1/3 of the combat variety of Dragon's Dogma. And acting like the Griffin is the only epic boss is just laughable. GG deserves credit for nailing the combat they have but all development inputs being equal, Dragon's Dogma has the much higher combat ceiling due to the sheer amount of variety.

Oxn

I'm enjoying Horizon as much as the next guy but let's not get carried away. Horizon has at best 1/3 of the combat variety of Dragon's Dogma. And acting like the Griffin is the only epic boss is just laughable. GG deserves credit for nailing the combat they have but all development inputs being equal, Dragon's Dogma has the much higher combat ceiling due to the sheer amount of variety.

Sure but lets not act like the rest of the game outside of combat is the same. Dogma is pretty meh outside of combat.

BadWolf

So great to see a new IP do well, especially one starring a female lead.

I always thought GG had a lot of potential but Killzone just wasn't my cup of tea, been waiting for them to work on something new.

Zelda will outsell it long term.
Nice tho for GG i will buy this when it's cheaper too much games and hardware coming out this year not gonna buy all games full price:p

There's no way of knowing this. Likely a title that'll be bundled with the base and possibly the pro going forward

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You must not be getting what part I'm talking about. I didn't act like the Griffin is the only epic boss battle, I don't even know how you get that from what I've said.

I'm talking about an enemy type where you disable components. That aspect is conceptually similar.

I really don't know why people thought this game wouldn't do well. Kojima saw it and wanted the engine.

Now I wonder what those people that say they won't play a game with a female protagonist are doing hearing the praises this game is getting.

Citation needed? I'm willing to bet hardware sales will get a good spike in Europe, Oceania and North America this week.

What thread? The Eurogamer article that Shu is retweeting is based on the UK data only, same as this thread. The article is already linked in the OP.

I assume it's a joke given that the topic title is still a little wrong in that it doesn't state Sony-published titles.

Oxn

Citation needed? I'm willing to bet hardware sales will get a good spike in Europe, Oceania and North America this week.

I assume it's a joke given that the topic title is still a little wrong in that it doesn't state Sony-published titles.

Its like you purposely left out the rest of my post for a reason.

Top Bottom