• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn PS4s biggest ever Sony published new IP launch in the UK

I really don't know why people thought this game wouldn't do well. Kojima saw it and wanted the engine.

Now I wonder what those people that say they won't play a game with a female protagonist are doing hearing the praises this game is getting.

They're waiting on the Tomb Raider protagonist mod

Well, HZD is very good, but it's not doing anything that new, just every usual thing very well. I think its fantastic graphics really help it feel new.

the gameplay is what make it feel fresh and unique. these robots are so fun to fight against, it honestly feel like what Demon/Dark Souls did for close combat melee action, Horizon did it as long range/third person shooter action.

E92 M3

A complete SURPRISE HIT for me. I thought it would be some artsy open world game, but beyond being beautiful, it's a fantastic gameplay experience. I also love the MC.

If anything Horizon adequately satisfied consumers that already own a PS4 and might have contemplated a new console had the system not been delivering the experiences they were after.

But the Switch launch has been surrounded with triple A open world games of incredible quality, meaning gamers that don't want to shell £300 plus have more than adequate alternatives.

In reality I expect Horizon impacted Zelda's sales more than vice versa. This and Mass Effect Andromeda being available now make it easy to sit and wait on the Switch if you feel you already have a considerable backlog.

I picked up Zelda and Horizon and they're both great fun.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Nice seems like great news for them. I have a copy but still haven't gotten to play it with everything else coming out at the moment. Crazy times. Can't wait to get to it soon

His point is that his preferred franchise will beat the opposition in the long run.

I don't get why Zelda fanboys have to shit on Horizon, it just shows their insecurities. It might, but who cares? I know! Zelda fanboys only care. Get a life.

They're waiting on the Tomb Raider protagonist mod

Peele-Laughing-At-Key-During-Comedy-Skit.gif

Floody

His point is that his preferred franchise will beat the opposition in the long run.

But there's actually no way to know if it will. Both have incredibly high selling potential, and both will likely become a major bundle too at some point, so should have great legs regardless.

Oxn

But there's actually no way to know if it will. Both have incredibly high selling potential, and both will likely become a major bundle too at some point, so should have great legs regardless.

Im just saying thats what hes hoping will happen, not that it will.

You can also get outfits, weapons, fight bandits, have creature encounters etc in Red Dead Redemption, but i wouldn't say that game is anything like Far Cry. They have similar things in them, but having spent a couple hundred hours in Far Cry games and almost a dozen in Horizon, they feel nothing alike.

Yeah some people seem to be confusing a game having "similar things" to "feeling the same."

I really liked Far Cry 3, 4 and Primal and I love Horizon. When actually playing them, they "feel" nothing alike, they just share a few of the same idea's (like a lot of games these days)

BadWolf

Well, HZD is very good, but it's not doing anything that new, just every usual thing very well. I think its fantastic graphics really help it feel new.

After watching Giantbomb's Switch launch stream, I could say the exact same thing about Zelda.

Welcome to the norm when it comes to games.

Oxn

After watching Giantbomb's Switch launch stream, I could say the exact same thing about Zelda.

Welcome to the norm when it comes to games.

In Zelda, you can hit things, jump, climb, craft, cook.

What other game offers that type of innovation?

So Mr. yoshida Indirectly confirms that it will be a franchise ,Right??
Nothing surprising although!!

didn't Sony already said that it's gonna be their new franchise since the reveal or interview somewhere? pretty sure head of Guerilla Games said it too somewhere

RedFury

Zelda will outsell it long term.
Nice tho for GG i will buy this when it's cheaper too much games and hardware coming out this year not gonna buy all games full price:p
I did my part but I highly doubt that. There are to many variables to know. If switch ends up like the Wii U you can put that thought to rest. Best selling Zelda was TP at ~8 and that was on GC&Wii (a console+highest selling console of all time). Last Zelda on that very same console (wii) sold ~3.5 million give or take. I could see Horizon selling 5 million easily with pack ins, deals, etc. I all depends on how switch is received and the adoption rate.

Dremark

Banned
I don't get why Zelda fanboys have to shit on Horizon, it just shows their insecurities. It might, but who cares? I know! Zelda fanboys only care. Get a life.

You're acting like it's a normal thing for Zelda fanboys to be insecure and get bent out of shape over something trivial.

didn't Sony already said that it's gonna be their new franchise since the reveal or interview somewhere? pretty sure head of Guerilla Games said it too somewhere
Yeah, they were talking about merchandise and everything a while back. They already planned for this to be a new franchise for them. With Uncharted on the backburner now, Horizon will take the spot.

bayman13

Neo Member
You must not be getting what part I'm talking about. I didn't act like the Griffin is the only epic boss battle, I don't even know how you get that from what I've said.

I'm talking about an enemy type where you disable components. That aspect is conceptually similar.

You are correct that I did misunderstand you but you are still wrong. The Cyclops alone have the helmets that you can make them remove and clubs that they will drop if you hit them in the right way. Or look at the Chimera where the order you kill the heads changes the attacks it can do.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You are correct that I did misunderstand you but you are still wrong. The Cyclops alone have the helmets that you can make them remove and clubs that they will drop if you hit them in the right way. Or look at the Chimera where the order you kill the heads changes the attacks it can do.
Yeah, and the Lizardmen you could attack their tails until they lost it and they couldn't do the tailswipe any more.

All damage based however, whereas in Horizon we're talking about up to many hundreds different armor plates that revolve around damage and several different aspects that are more susceptible to a variety of elemental or different arrow types. Dragon's Dogma is the closest thing I can think of to this concept and I still stand by it that it's much more coarse grained and simplistic.

Dragon's Dogma is still great when it comes to combat and supports more playstyles. (Stronger melee, magic in addition to bow, basic climbing.)

In any case nothing Horizon does combat wise is somehow industry standard that has been seen hundreds of times before and they just copy and pasted from some yearly iteration.

eizarus

Banned
Does that stop it from being good? No.

I think a lot of Zelda fans expected it to outsell Horizon during the release. What they don't realise is that the general market didn't grow up with Zelda like they did, so are more likely to go for a game that looks better (in terms of raw graphics (BotW has a beautiful art style)) and is on the best selling console of the gen (including the Switch into the Ps4 gen for the sake of argument).

Jingo

The only thing surprising me right now is how gta v keeps selling and staying at top 5 everyweek since launch!

Thats what everyone should be talking about!

Perineum

Well deserved by GG. They completely changed the face of their studio and what it is capable of. Killzone is a fun franchise, but it never was a staple franchise to gamers. This is a game worthy of being at the head table with the best franchises of all time.

I would LOVE if Horizon 2 did introduce MP. GG does a fantastic job at MP games, and it would be fun to do Tribe Wars. :)

Well deserved GG! When you put passion, effort coupled with great art vision, it pays off. Now start working on the sequel and improve the formula.

Floody

Well deserved by GG. They completely changed the face of their studio and what it is capable of. Killzone is a fun franchise, but it never was a staple franchise to gamers. This is a game worthy of being at the head table with the best franchises of all time.

I would LOVE if Horizon 2 did introduce MP. GG does a fantastic job at MP games, and it would be fun to do Tribe Wars. :)

Horizon in co-op could be insanely fun, just from something simple like leading a huge machine into a ambush set up by a friend.

Top Bottom