• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn PS4s biggest ever Sony published new IP launch in the UK

RDreamer

Completely deserved. Haven't finished yet, but the game and the IP is amazing. I feel like there's really so much they could do with the franchise in the future and I want to see it all.

black070

It can't be understated that Horizon Zero Dawn truly is a special game. If you have the means to play this game, you absolutely should.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
FaithfulPerkyDanishswedishfarmdog.gif

MXaLbQk.gif

Dabanton

Well, HZD is very good, but it's not doing anything that new, just every usual thing very well. I think its fantastic graphics really help it feel new.

Oh the graphics do help. But graphics only help a game so far remember The Order?

This game has amazing graphics but the big difference is it feels so damm good to play. Aloy and the way she interacts with the environment is fantastic and combat is so smooth and the story fairly interesting.

Yes it's riffing on stuff like Far Cry and New Tomb Raider but those are great games to nick from.

eizarus

Banned
I don't know why this quote is a thing, all the big IP we currently have all started as New IP at some point.
I can't remember the fine details but I think it started at the end of last gen/start of this gen. It came from EA when a couple of their new IPs underperformed. IIRC, Ubisoft also said something similar.

pixelbox

OléGunner;231568737 said:
Tbf to Ubi, I think they realise their formula is old hat now.
Their course corrections in open world design with Watch Dogs 2 was a great start imo.

Bodes well for the next AC (I just also don't want to see 10,000 icons shit across an entire map)

LOL.

What nonsense is this?
With how critics are so harsh this gen, an 88 MC as a first new IP attempt is really really good.
Yep i love WD2 too. They need to have a better story like a silent protagonist so you can decide if you want to stealth or kill. Ir they can have a better plot motive.

There's more...

He's talking only about new IPs.

Yeah, not necessarily "heavy hitters" to be honest. Bloodborne got hyped to hell, but it's still not a "mainstream" cinematic game. DriveClub got hit hard by the negative word-of-mouth. The Order was not marketed to hell and back, and also didn't receive positive reviews. Until Dawn was more of a slow burn.

So in all honesty, Horizon outselling them all at launch seemed like a given, especially when reviews have been as good as they have. Still great to see though.

The Order was pushed quite hard, actually. What set it back was the critical reception and attacks on the length of the game versus its price.

Angst

I can't remember the fine details but I think it started at the end of last gen/start of this gen. It came from EA when a couple of their new IPs underperformed. IIRC, Ubisoft also said something similar.
New IPs are riskier financially. For every Horizon Zero Dawn you'll have ten bombs/unsuccessful new IPs. When you are EA, why risk launching a new IP when you can remodel last year's NHL/FIFA/Madden?

Well...you can't all be gravity rush
And even that has ties to Rodea the Sky Solider.

But yeah, I would also say GR2 is one of the more unique examples. It is just really difficult to create something entirely new when people have been making video games for so many years now.

pixelbox

And even that has ties to Rodea the Sky Solider.

But yeah, I would also say GR2 is one of the more unique examples. It is just really difficult to create something entirely new when people have been making video games for so many years now.
I wanna know more about Rodea. Link?

Oersted

Sure attach rate is expected to be insane for zelda/switch. But it won't matter really if the switch sales aren't great.

Isn't Mario Kart 8 still the best selling homeconsole exclusive of this gen and Splatoon the best selling new IP?

timlot

Banned
Should be expected. There are more PS4 out there this year than last year. The same will be said for next year.

Kill3r7

Isn't Mario Kart 8 still the best selling homeconsole exclusive of this gen and Splatoon the best selling new IP?

Uncharted 4 should be the best selling console exclusive this gen. Splatoon I think still holds the title for console exclusive new IP this gen.

SarusGray

good for horizon zero dawn. 15 hours in and I'm completely immersed at this point and can't stop reading and finding different hidden lore in the game.

There's no way of knowing this. Likely a title that'll be bundled with the base and possibly the pro going forward

Don't bundles not count? Until we know how well the Switch sold I'd be skeptical of Zelda outselling it. Skyward Sword sold 4mil on a console with a far higher install base than the PS4 and isn't Horizon expected to sell like 6-8mil this year?

At the end of the day who cares. Two great games in the same week like this makes me await the "drop off a cliff" moment :p

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Best new IP since TLOU and very very well deserved! I hope they sell a fuck ton of copies of this game cause it is freaking amazing and deserves to be played by as many people as possible. It is just incredible what GG were able to accomplish with this game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Very well deserved. Loving the game so far
Just had my first cauldron eperience and it felt like something the machines in the Matrix would make

Lmao at every in the BotW review thread who thought this wouldn't sell as well

When I asked you guys to cut out the Zelda vs Horizon crap I did not mean "put the Zelda vs Horizon crap in spoiler tags".

jfyi

Top Bottom