• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think my apartment may be haunted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaulerX

OP, you probably had a ketchup bottle near by, and with all the head and humidity lately it probably got pressurized and popped a lid, causing the splatter.

Darksol

What happens when you or someone you trust has an anecdote of their own that you can't explain? What then?

Ghosts are believed to spirits that, for whatever reason, have not moved on to the 'afterlife'. How common of a belief is this? Name me one paranormal investigator /medium/spiritualist who doesn't claim that ghosts haven't "moved on to the other side". Seriously, where the hell did you hear that everyone who dies becomes a ghost? You could not be more ignorant of this subject.

Yup, that explains why nearly every other episode of Ghost Hunters ends with them telling the homeowners that their house isn't haunted.

People capture freaky shit on their cameras all the time, and the videos that end up online that aren't obviously fake are decried as video glitches and/or tampering and nothing more. Same with audio evidence. There isn't a single EVP in the world you wouldn't immediately dismiss as 1) radio interference or 2) the recording having been tampered with. And of course you won't waste even an hour of your day looking into the supposed evidence yourself, so of course you can smugly claim there is absolutely none.

And never mind all the anecdotes. I suppose even if a member of your family witnessed some godawful, frightening figure looming over their bed at night (and then disappearing) you'd say it was a night terror (even if that doesn't sound like one) or a nightmare (even if they could prove they were awake at the time). You'd test each possible explanation and whittle down your way down the list till you reach "unknown", at which you pointed you'd be left with two options: Either continue to dismiss all 'anecdotal evidence' of paranormal activity and pretend none of this happened to said family member, or accept that maybe something has occurred that is beyond the purview of science.

Except in the 10 years they've been on the air it's never been proved that they're fake (and I've been as suspicious as anyone of some of their 'evidence'). IIRC, it was shown that one of the early episodes contained edited FLIR footage (the time stamp skipped a few numbers or something like that), and one of the former TAPS members when asked whether or not she witnessed any evidence faking said no, though she occasionally suspected it. But other than that, I don't think it's ever been shown one way or another that the video and audio 'evidence' they present is fake.

Wait...you actually believe this?

I thought we were all just in this thread for a cheap laugh.

Redx508

dis-gonna-be-good-anticipation-pull-up-a-chair-listen-watch.gif

I thought we were all just in this thread for a cheap laugh.

Clearly not all of us are as enlightened as you, Darksol.

OP, you probably had a ketchup bottle near by, and with all the head and humidity lately it probably got pressurized and popped a lid, causing the splatter.

I've seen this happen, so yeah, that's a plausible explanation. I guess we won't know until we see if he catches anyone snooping around his apartment.

Did he get a carbon monoxide detector yet?

That should have been one of the first things he tested.

supergiz

If anyone could provide help with getting the IP camera streaming it would be much appreciated. The IP camera is the TENVIS JPT3815W Wireless IP Pan/Tilt/ Night Vision.

Seventy70

I'm pretty sure OP is planning on playing us like a fiddle. It's the only reason I would think someone would go out, buy a camera and set it up for the whole internet to see. OP probably splattered the Ketchup on the wall himself and had the idea.

If this were real, the last thing OP would be doing would be posting on GAF from his house.

mokeyjoe

I'm pretty sure OP is planning on playing us like a fiddle. It's the only reason I would think someone would go out, buy a camera and set it up for the whole internet to see. OP probably splattered the Ketchup on the wall himself and had the idea.

This is, by far, the most likely explanation.

Two things:

1)Buy a Mobius ActionCam off eBay and set it up to record what happens in your apartment during the day.

2)There's a large population of Caribbean people in NYC. You could probably find an Obeah man to get rid of any spirits that might be in there.

Noirulus

Well, they didn't know better. Nowadays there's no excuse for being "fucking retarded".

Yup! Because humans can explain absolutely everything there is to reality :)

And if someone comes along with an unusual experience, they're just being dumb and should apply some common sense or they're schizophrenic obviously.

The point is that sometimes you can't explain the unknown. Once you assume that unknown = X, you stop doing real scientific research.

Yeah, well that's exactly it. Maybe it's not a "ghost". maybe it's something else - but the smug, know-it-all posters in this thread are all like "Dude come on, it's just a goddamn hobo with an extreme addiction to making ketchup thumb prints!"

And if someone comes along with an unusual experience, they're just being dumb and should apply some common sense or they're schizophrenic obviously.

Yeah, well that's exactly it. Maybe it's not a "ghost". maybe it's something else - but the smug, know-it-all posters in this thread are all like "Dude come on, it's just a goddamn hobo with an extreme addiction to making ketchup thumb prints!"

Well thats probably because ketchup on the wall is hardly in the realm of the unknown. Either someone else was in the apartment, or the OP did it in a semi-conscious state.

Ozigizo

Real talk, OP: I have a friend who was having strange things happen in their apartment, so they tried to figure out what was going on. Pictures were being moved, food was missing, and various other things were being moved. My friend caught the person in the act, and they nearly beat them to death, and left her on the floor barely conscious.

The person had been living in the attic space.

Christos

Real talk, OP: I have a friend who was having strange things happen in their apartment, so they tried to figure out what was going on. Pictures were being moved, food was missing, and various other things were being moved. My friend caught the person in the act, and they nearly beat them to death, and left her on the floor barely conscious.

The person had been living in the attic space.

That's so creepy.

Colocho

Banned
You're so right. Our ancestors were fucking retarded for believing in unexplainable phenomenon LOOL!!!

Pretty much every ancient tribe had a God for every unexplainable thing (the rain, the sun coming up, etc), were they correct? At some point, people believed the sun rotated around the earth, were they not "fucking retarded"?

Good God, I truly hope I'm getting trolled here.

I feel like your hobo example at the end of your post was an attempt to throw some reductio ad absurdum at the people who don't believe in ghosts. But, I mean, that's still way less absurd than a ghost. Like, hobos have been observed to exist. People with weird obsessions have been observed to exist. Even a silly argument made to lampoon the rational ones is still far more likely than a ghost. If the bar for "smug, know-it-all" is so low that all you need to qualify is a lack of belief in ghosts, then I don't know what to say.

Kolx

It's clearly a ghost no doubt about that. Just call one of those ghost hunters and start WW3 in your apartment. It's either you or the ghosts. Fight hard my friend and if you died then you'd at least died with honor.

You keep saying you don't think it's ghosts, but refuse to believe the actual, logical, alternative (someone is coming into his house). What do you actually believe is happening?

Also with the livestreaming thing it really feels like OP is just playing around for attention rather than worried about something going on.

Things beyond the purview of science occur all the time. That does not mean we can fill in the gaps of our knowledge with anything we want

pur·view
noun
the scope of the influence or concerns of something.
"such a case might be within the purview of the legislation"
a range of experience or thought.
"social taboos meant that little information was likely to come within the purview of women generally"

Nothing is beyond the purview of science. Things may be beyond our current models for understanding the universe.

Fake edit: Mainly meant to apply to the person you quoted.

Noirulus

You keep saying you don't think it's ghosts, but refuse to believe the actual, logical, alternative (someone is coming into his house). What do you actually believe is happening?

Also with the livestreaming thing it really feels like OP is just playing around for attention rather than worried about something going on.

I'm not refusing to believe anything, I simply think that there can be alternative explanations to things. I don't know why the posters here that are so adamantly materialist think that I (or others) are stuck in the mindset that it HAS to be something supernatural.

Macheezmo

I've never understood why all these ghost hunter people do everything at night in the lowest light. Are ghosts supposed to afraid of light or something?

Noirulus

pur·view
noun
the scope of the influence or concerns of something.
"such a case might be within the purview of the legislation"
a range of experience or thought.
"social taboos meant that little information was likely to come within the purview of women generally"

Nothing is beyond the purview of science. Things may be beyond our current models for understanding the universe.

Fake edit: Mainly meant to apply to the person you quoted.

Science is the study and observation of reality itself. Basically, we can only make models and understand something we can observe through our material lenses. Saying "Nothing is beyond the purview of science" isn't exactly true because there could be any number of phenomenon that the universe might not present as observable, in which case we couldn't study it. Hell, quantum phenomena is hardly understood as it is and in many cases we cannot make any predictions out of quantum mechanics, only probabilities.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So this thread is half watching for intruders, half people who actually believe in ghosts trying not to sound insane while convincing people?

So, just read first and last page. OP thinks his apartmamet is haunted. Now he is gonna stream his house to everyone.

Did something noteworthy happened between those pages?

RedAssedApe

Banned
So, just read first and last page. OP thinks his apartmamet is haunted. Now he is gonna stream his house to everyone.

Did something noteworthy happened between those pages?

same...wondering why the OP doesn't just call in the landlord if he has a good relationship with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom